Author Topic: What is the economy anyway ??  (Read 26030 times)

Offline Horatio

• View Profile
Re: What is the economy anyway ??
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 05:14:53 PM »
Paul, I am not against capitalism I own a small business myself. I am against what big business is doing to this country today. Oil company's, Banks, Wall St, Investment groups, China's trade surplus, WTA, WTO, Big pharma, WallMart. They are into a steroid capitalism. Just like a pro wrestler on steroids there are consequences which usually are very ugly.
I know you didn't like what happened in the last 4 years.
The only positive I actually saw out of the last few years, we lost a few TC's due to the economy (and reddits).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:31:12 PM by Horatio »

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
BRAVE NEW WORLD REVISITED [1958] by Aldous Huxley
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 05:24:53 PM »
I highly (the pun is always intended) recommend everyone on this thread read a few of these essays written by Aldous Huxley in 1958...

The whole thing is a good read that I think everyone here would appreciate...

In particular relevance to this thread, please check out the first three or four chapters:

http://www.huxley.net/bnw-revisited/index.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »
Elizabeth Warren explains once again "paying it forward" for Big Business. Something specific American Entrepreneurs forget in their quest to make a profit.
This is what Teddy Roosevelt was talking about a 100 years ago when he was taking down Standard Oil, Carnegie, Railroads ect...
They didn't understand or forgot that they were as wealthy as they were do to America and the liberties America provided.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162- ... 03544.html

Warren rejects the concept that it is possible for Americans to become wealthy in isolation.

"You built a factory out there? Good for you," she says. "But I want to be clear: you moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for; you hired workers the rest of us paid to educate; you were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory, and hire someone to protect against this, because of the work the rest of us did."

She continues: "Now look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea? God bless. Keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:23:45 PM by DannyB II »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »
Carefull Danny. Next tey'll be calling you a communist (among all the other things).
?©?€~¥@

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »
Quote from: "Paul St. John"

But just to be clear, before we go any further-

Is it your position, that you are in fact a hypocrite, who lives an immoral , unjust life?- just so we can get that out of the way right off the bat

What's it to ya ? My personal life is of absolutely no consequence to my argument.  I'm hard on myself and I do the best I can and I'm not afraid of being called a hypocrite.  My words speak for themselves.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »

heh.. No.. Not an attack on you personally..

...uhh...yes it is.  Separate the argument from it's source.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
Carefull Danny. Next tey'll be calling you a communist (among all the other things).

McCarthyism, is it making a comeback??
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Horatio

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 04:46:25 PM »
Paul wrote:
Well, we definitly disagree on theTeddy Roosevelt-reference.. he sewed a lot of the seeds that led to today's problems..

I am talking about Theodore Roosevelt 26th President early 1900's WWI not his distant cousin Franklin Delano Roosevelt 32nd President early 1930's till mid 1940's WWII.

Offline Horatio

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 07:42:22 PM »
http://front.moveon.org/the-most-awesom ... Q.facebook

The Most Awesome 99% Image We've Seen All Week.
One thousand folks, one San Francisco beach, and one hard-to-ignore message.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »
That sure is a pretty demonstration img. over Ocean Beach, but Solidarity managing to coordinate even a brief peaceful shut down of the port of Oakland sends a stronger message.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 10:35:42 AM »
I'm tired of being tormented to hell, that's what I'm tired of.

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »
Quote from: "starry-eyed pirate"

But just to be clear, before we go any further-

Is it your position, that you are in fact a hypocrite, who lives an immoral , unjust life?- just so we can get that out of the way right off the bat

What's it to ya ? My personal life is of absolutely no consequence to my argument.  I'm hard on myself and I do the best I can and I'm not afraid of being called a hypocrite.  My words speak for themselves.

Because you are on a computer made by people with jobs, although, you are against jobs.  I am making the point here, that embrace capitalism in action, while denying it in your word.  That is in fact in hypocritical.  And it seems to me that the majority of people with your viewpoint are exactly the same way.

Anyhow, the whole thing started out with me trying to make a point to you.  I didn t at that point view it as an argument, but rather hoping you would see my point.

Paul

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 01:28:04 PM »
Quote from: "starry-eyed pirate"

heh.. No.. Not an attack on you personally..

...uhh...yes it is.  Separate the argument from it's source.

LOL!  uhhh.. No.. It wasn't.. It was a question.  You opened the door to it.  You said something without actually saying it, which is a very safe place to be.. You get to assume all the liberties of being immoral, hypocritical, and unjust, but none of the responsibilities.. I was trying to get you to say what you are saying, and to get you to face it yourself.. I could argue with you for the mere sake of arguing with you 'til the end of the world, but such things never breed results, in my experience, and amount to mental masturbation..

Paul

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 01:36:40 PM »
Quote from: "Horatio"
Paul wrote:
Well, we definitly disagree on theTeddy Roosevelt-reference.. he sewed a lot of the seeds that led to today's problems..

I am talking about Theodore Roosevelt 26th President early 1900's WWI not his distant cousin Franklin Delano Roosevelt 32nd President early 1930's till mid 1940's WWII.

Yes.. Of course, I know that.. although FDR was no better with his New Deal.

Teddy's Anti-trust laws started from a bad premise.  That premise is now very alive in everything today.

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »

It is worth mentioning that there is nothing in the world stopping you from doing that right now, but instead yo9u choose to be on a computer made by people who had jobs.

Paul

Is this a question ??