Author Topic: The world will never know how Eric Perez died  (Read 31718 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
The Palm Beach Post has a 500 character limit...
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2011, 07:32:54 PM »
There were no comments left for the above article, not on the Palm Beach Post website, nor on that of its news partner, NewsChannel 5. However, here's a short interesting piece from the Wobbly Warrior's Blog commenting on just that:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Wobbly Warrior's Blog

The Palm Beach Post has a 500 character limit on online comments. Unless you're me.
Posted on August 2, 2011 by Susan Chandler

My limit is zero characters.

The Palm Beach Post rejected today's comment — as they have all of my recent comments — thusly: "You have to wait a while before posting another comment. Please try again later."

My rejected 500 character comment on, "Atwater reverses, issues burial check to family of youth who died in state custody," appears below the article link, leading off with their proofreading error in quotes.

Undeservedly, FBI Director Mueller was just granted another two years at the helm by the Senate. I doubt the FBI recovered their 160 missing laptops and 160 missing weapons Sen. Leahy once included in his pages of oversight complaints, because – like Atwater, Haridopolos and the media — the FBI sure hasn't recovered its scruples.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/atwat ... 81421.html

“the agency lacked the authority to for the payment”

Negligence ended a teen's life, his family was mistreated and the PBP's "coverage" is poorly proofread, he said/she said nothingness.

Atwater, like Haridopolos, is the son of an FBI agent who pretends he doesn't know the FBI should be investigating Florida's ever-expanding conviction corruption.

Failing to print what politicians pretend is election engineering that tramples the public trust and flouts your fiduciary responsibilities, PBP.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged CFO Jeff Atwater, Eric Perez, FBI, FBI Director Mueller, Palm Beach Post, Sen. Mike Haridopolos, wrongful prison death.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
CFO Jeff Atwater says his office will pay for teen's funeral
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2011, 11:52:05 PM »
An entry on this development from the Miami Herald blog Naked Politics:

The Miami Herald — Naked Politics

CFO Jeff Atwater says his office will pay for teen's funeral; blames DJJ for delay

Jeff Atwater, Florida's chief financial officer, issued a statement Monday regarding a story last week noting that his office was not paying for the funeral of 18-year-old Eric Perez, who died in a West Palm Beach detention center on July 10.

Atwater's office says it is working directly with Perez's family attorney to cover the funeral expenses within 48 hours through the state's Division of Risk Management -- instead of through the Department of Juvenile Justice, which did not have the authority to make the payment.

Here is the statement:

TALLAHASSEE—Florida's Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater, who oversees the Department of Financial Services, released the following statement today following news reports last Friday regarding the payment of funeral expenses for Eric Perez, who died on July 10, 2011, while in the care of the Department of Juvenile Justice at a state detention facility in West Palm Beach.

"My office is now working directly with the family's attorney through our Division of Risk Management, and my commitment is to have a check covering funeral expenses for this young man in the hands of the family within 48 hours.

"Regrettably, this tragic delay would not have occurred if the Department of Juvenile Justice had not blatantly ignored guidance from my office.

"In the future, I would hope that DJJ would be more transparent in its dealings with the public and with taxpayer monies."

Posted by Patricia Mazzei on August 1, 2011 in Jeff Atwater

Copyright 2011 Miami Herald Media Co.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "CFO Jeff Atwater says his office will pay for..."
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2011, 11:57:29 PM »
Comment left for the above blog piece, "CFO Jeff Atwater says his office will pay for teen's funeral; blames DJJ for delay" (by Patricia Mazzei; August 1, 2011; Miami Herald - Naked Politics):

Posted by: jim heffner | August 02, 2011 at 08:38 AM
    The punishment for any crime should not exceed the harm done by the crime.

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Grand jury to probe teen's death in lockup
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2011, 12:08:57 AM »
Despite previous assurances to the contrary on the part of the Florida DJJ, the State Attorney's Office is now trying to prevent release of the video to Eric Perez's mum...

An abbreviated version of the below article (sans the last six paragraphs) also appeared in the Sun-Sentinel on August 1st under the title Grand jury to probe teen's death in West Palm jail.

The Miami Herald
Posted on Monday, 08.01.11

JUVENILE JUSTICE

Grand jury to probe teen's death in lockup

As Eric Perez's death at a West Palm Beach lockup continued to reverberate Monday, prosecutors are trying to seal a key piece of evidence: a video of the teen's final hours.

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER
[email protected]

Eric Perez (Photo provided)

State prosecutors in West Palm Beach have convened a grand jury to look into the death of Eric Perez, a teenager who stopped breathing at a juvenile detention center after he sought medical care unsuccessfully for hours.

The Palm Beach State Attorney's Office, which is spearheading the death investigation, also has asked a judge to prevent juvenile justice administrators from releasing a video that details Perez's final hours at the lockup. Perez, 18, died at 8:09 a.m. July 10, about two weeks after he was arrested for possessing a small amount of marijuana, and several hours after he sought medical care for a severe headache and vomiting. The cause of his death remains undetermined.

In a court pleading filed Friday, the State Attorney's Office said releasing the video to Perez's mother, who has requested it under Florida's public records law, "will cause irreparable harm to the pending criminal and grand jury investigation."

Last spring, lawmakers passed a revision to the state's public records law forbidding the release of pictures or recordings that show a person dying. The bill, which took effect last month, included one exception: spouses or parents of the deceased still may be given copies of such recordings. Maritza Perez, the dead teen's mom, has made a formal request for it.

Perez, 47, told The Miami Herald on Monday that prosecutors offered her a deal: They would give her a copy of the video if she vowed not to show it publicly. Perez said she declined the offer, because she wants everyone to know how her son died.

"Only the mother has the right to the tape, and I want the tape, and I'm going to show it to the world," Perez said. "I'm not going to let this die. I'm not going to let Eric die for nothing."

"I don't want other kids to suffer what my son went through. I don't want any other mother to suffer the way I have suffered," Perez said.

The fate of the seven to eight hours of video may be decided Tuesday morning. Prosecutors will ask Palm Beach Circuit Judge Stephen A. Rapp at a 10:30 hearing to keep the video under wraps.

"This request is made to preserve the integrity of the pending criminal investigation, not to thwart the interests of the parents of the decedent," Assistant State Attorney Andrew R. Slater wrote in the motion.

The controversy surrounding the youth's death continued to swirl Monday, as a spokeswoman for state Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater blasted juvenile justice administrators for seeking to spend $5,000 from the Department of Juvenile Justice's budget to help Perez bury her son.

"My office is now working directly with the family's attorney through our Division of Risk Management, and my commitment is to have a check covering funeral expenses for this young man in the hands of the family within 24 hours," Atwater said in a prepared statement. Late Monday, Atwater's spokeswoman said a check had been mailed to the family overnight.

But Atwater did not stop there. He also accused juvenile justice administrators of adding to the family's pain by botching the expenditure. "Regrettably, this tragic delay would not have occurred if the Department of Juvenile Justice had not blatantly ignored guidance from my office. In the future, I would hope that DJJ would be more transparent in its dealings with the public and with taxpayer monies," Atwater wrote.

His spokeswoman, Anna Alexopoulis, said "the proper venue" for paying the funeral expenses would have been the CFO's Office of Risk Management, which defends the state against lawsuits — not the DJJ operating budget. Perez has notified the state of her intent to sue.

"DJJ failed to submit the claim to Risk Management even after our department had advised them to do so," Alexopoulis said.

A DJJ spokesman, C.J. Drake, replied: "We're pleased that this matter is finally being resolved in favor of the young man’s family."

On Saturday, The Herald reported that DJJ had sought the $5,000 to help the Perez family defray the costs of the teen's funeral under a policy implemented in 2008. Since then, DJJ administrators have paid the funeral costs for two other youths who died while in the agency's care, one in 2008 and another the following year. After first cutting the check last week, Atwater's office then instructed DJJ to destroy it.

Also on Monday, DJJ administrators confirmed they had fired a guard who had been the subject of a lengthy article in The Herald last week. The guard, Laryell King, had previously worked for several years at the agency's lockup in Orange County, but was fired after leaving youths unsupervised — including locking up one boy in a room for 45 minutes, until he banged on a door to get help. Her personnel record included a strong warning: "NO rehire in any position." Nevertheless, she was rehired in September 2010 at the West Palm Beach detention center. King could not be reached for comment.

King's dismissal letter, which is dated July 29, said King had failed to complete her probation at the West Palm Beach lockup "satisfactorily," and Florida law allowed her to be "terminated at any time without the right to appeal such action."

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Grand jury to probe teen's death in lockup"
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2011, 12:46:32 AM »
Comments left for the above article, "Grand jury to probe teen's death in lockup" (By Carol Marbin Miller, 08.01.11, The Miami Herald):

SouthPort · 08/01/2011 09:13 PM
    it was murder but will be covered up after an "internal investigation" -- book it!
    Dusty Roads · 08/02/2011 08:54 AM in reply to SouthPort
      The reason the GOONs do not want to release the video is because it show what pathetic putzs' the Goons really are.

Everyone of those Goons are guilty of cold blooded murder!

CASE POINT:  They know something was wrong so they followed Florida S.O.P.-----"Sweep it under the rug and hope nobody lifts the rugs"
    [/list]
    chicoheights · 08/01/2011 10:29 PM
      Another Florida Grand Jury... this one probably will be less informed and competent than the one that indicted Casey Anthony. Couldn't convict anybody in this neighborhood of anything anyway...not concerning negligence anyway unless the kid magically turns White; maybe not even then.
    Dusty Roads · 08/02/2011 08:59 AM
      Sounds like Ms.  Perez needs the "The Giant Killer" "WILLIE GARY"
      Attorney Willie E. Gary earned his reputation as "The Giant Killer" by taking down some of America’s most well-known giants on behalf of his clients.

He has won some of the largest jury awards and settlements in U.S. history, including more than 150 cases valued in excess of $1 million each. Gary's amazing success has earned him national recognition as a leading trial attorney.

Gary has been featured in Forbes magazine which has listed him as one of the "Top 50 Attorneys in the U.S."

He has been highlighted in many of the Nation's most respected media publications, such as The New York Times, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, Ebony, Jet, People, Black Enterprise, Fortune.

http://www.garylawgroup.com/form.html[/list]
      cassiuscasio · 08/02/2011 09:21 AM in reply to Dusty Roads
        This is worse than chasing an ambulance
      [/list]
      vic1 · 08/02/2011 09:00 AM
        Another needless death of a child at the hands of the great state of florida.
      UMFAN181818 · 08/02/2011 09:38 AM
        Im sure he was a good kid.. Why else would he be in a jeuvenile detention center. The mom shouldnt worry so much about other kids suffering like her son did.. What she should have worried about is taking care of her son and keeping him out of a "Jeuvenile Detention Center". Now shes so sad for the death of her son. Especially when you can probably profit out of it. Just look at the kids picture... He looked like a modern day role model. GOD BLESS HIM!!!!!
        ch1pn3ss · 08/02/2011 09:54 AM in reply to UMFAN181818
          Last time I checked a marijuana possession charge wasn't a capital offense. But yeah, this kid looks like a no good punk, what with his basketball shoes and his basketball shorts. Wait, wearing basketball shoes isn't a capital offense either? Ok Drakon, go get some fresh air and stop sippin' on that haterade.
          Locoenelcoco · 08/02/2011 10:08 AM in reply to ch1pn3ss
            stop being so sarcastic...you missed the rubber band on his wrist...In gang initiations in West Palm they use them to strangle stray puppies
          [/list][/list]
          smash44 · 08/02/2011 10:42 AM
            Sad as the situation is, it is not murder as some of you feeble-minded clowns are clamoring for. It is not even manslaughter. Nobody ever touched the kid. If he was denied medical treatment, then it could be construed as negligence, but not murder.
            chicoheights · 08/02/2011 10:55 AM in reply to smash44
              Voluntary or involuntary Negligence deaths are classified as manslaughter(In other words) Murder in the third degree.
            U2J · 08/02/2011 01:12 PM in reply to smash44
              Negligence = Manslaughter
            [/list]
            mung · 08/02/2011 11:17 AM
              Of course the state is going to block the release of the video.  That is tantamount to pleading the 5th.  They don't wish to incriminate themselves.

Not that it would change anything.  Floridians will continue to vote for candidates that promise to slash spending.  Once in office, these politicians will continue to privatize infrastructure (and line their pockets with kickbacks from the corrections industry).
            oloruawe · 08/02/2011 11:56 AM
              This seems to be a big problem with Government , They are reactive instead of proactive.

I was told by a young lady that used to be a student at The  M.D.C.C.  School of Criminal Justice , that a former instructor by the name of Mr.G. Otero physically and verbally abused a student with Autism. The Family sued the school and Mr Otero was asked to resign as an instructor. I was also told that Mr Otero now works at the Miami Dade Juvenile Detention Center.

In my view anyone that physically abuses a person , especially a child with Autism should have been charged and send to jail. The MDCC School of Criminal Justice should have not covered up this tragedy. especially when they are suppose to lead and teach by example. What ever happen to ethics and integrity ?

Again , this was a story that was told to me by a former student of MDCC

All men are innocent until they are proven guilty. having said that, if he was  guilty he should have been charged and convicted

Has The Miami Herald investigated this story ? or are they waiting for another tragedy to happen ?
              CarolMarbinMiller · 08/02/2011 04:56 PM in reply to oloruawe
                Oloruawe,
                Call  me. I am the reporter on this story, and I'd like to hear from you.
                My nunber is (305) 376-3211.
                Thank you.
              [/list]
              U2J · 08/02/2011 01:06 PM
                You all don't get it. Under Florida law, the surviving members of the family are only entitled to losses that would have been provided by the deceased and punitive damages. By paying the funeral costs of the youth, the DJJ and CFO are trying to limit their liability and spinning it to make them look human, which they're not. It's sad, but our children do not provide for us parents and are worth less in damages because they don't support anyone. Blood sucking lawyers have even claimed that the deceased child provides financial relief to the parents. In some wrongful death cases, the parents aren't entitled to any compensation. SAD/SICK but true.
              theloneconsumer · 08/02/2011 06:25 PM
                Reminds me of the Anderson Boot Camp death, where the administrator for DJJ decided in emails to destroy the evidence for the Boot Camp death.
                  Interesting that the pathologist was two counties away, and his autopsy held, even though his LICENSE EXPIRED.
                  More interesting that the Jeb appointed Atty did NOT do a change of Venue, did NOT fight to have ANY black person on the jury....
                   Looks like a Jeb Bush Ober replay?
              jokyla · 08/02/2011 07:24 PM
                "I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
                This simple democratic quote from philosopher Voltaire has gone by the wayside here on these post boards as the DISQUS commentator police attempt to thwart free speech they disagree with at every turn.
              UMFAN181818 · 08/03/2011 10:29 AM
                Oh shoot.. I didnt realize it was for a small amout of marijuana.. You got me.. I stopped reading half way when I read Jeuvenile Detention center... You are right... Those cops should be held accountable and treated like animals just like we would be if the shoe was on the other foot.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              Comments: "Grand jury to probe teen's death in ... lockup"
              « Reply #110 on: August 12, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »
              An abbreviated version of the above article (sans the last three paragraphs) also appeared in the Palm Beach Post on August 1st under the title Grand jury to probe teen's death in Palm Beach County juvenile lockup.

Comments for this last article:

cj · 5:55 AM, 8/2/2011
                DJJ not following directions? hard to believe. If they had followed their own rules about sick kids this boy might not be dead.
                What was the cause of death in the end?
              Really · 8:45 AM, 8/2/2011
                I heard that this victims mother was no where to be found prior to her son"s unfortunate death. DJJ needs to hire competent help and proper training to these security guards
              Kevin · 9:19 AM, 8/2/2011
                @Really What does the boys mother not being able to be found has to do with it imn confused
              JUSSSAYIN · 11:09 AM, 8/2/2011
                wondering why they're not waiting for autopsy report to come out??! Hmmm

sounds like its all about The Benjamins!

Copyright © 2011 The Palm Beach Post.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              Grand jury convenes in death of West Palm teen
              « Reply #111 on: August 13, 2011, 02:29:15 AM »
              The Associated Press version of recent events:

The Miami Herald
              Posted on Tuesday, 08.02.11

Grand jury convenes in death of West Palm teen

The Associated Press

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Authorities say a grand jury is looking into the death of a teenager who died hours after unsuccessfully seeking medical care at a juvenile detention center in West Palm Beach.

On Tuesday morning, state prosecutors also plan to ask a judge to prevent the juvenile justice system from releasing video detailing 18-year-old Eric Perez's final hours at the detention center.

The Miami Herald reported the teen's mother has requested the video under Florida's public records law. On Friday, prosecutors told the judge that the tape could "cause irreparable harm to the pending criminal and grand jury investigation."

Perez died July 10, hours after seeking help for a severe headache and vomiting. His cause of death remains undetermined.

Juvenile justice officials fired and suspended employees after the teen's death.

Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              Grand Jury Investigating Teen's Death At Juvenile Facility
              « Reply #112 on: August 13, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »
              Ouch! Say it ain't so! Did Eric Perez's mum cave to pressure from the State Attorney's Office?

abc25 - WPBF

Grand Jury Investigating Teen's Death At Juvenile Facility
              Teen's Mother Withdraws Request To See Video Of Son's Death

POSTED: 10:39 am EDT August 2, 2011

Eric Perez died July 10 while in custody at the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- A grand jury is looking into the death of a teenager who died hours after unsuccessfully seeking medical care at a West Palm Beach juvenile detention center.

Eric Perez died July 10 while in custody at the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center.

State prosecutors said Tuesday they plan to ask a judge to prevent the Department of Juvenile Justice from releasing video detailing the 18-year-old's final hours at the detention center.

The teen's mother had requested the video under Florida's public records law, but she later withdrew the request. Prosecutors told a judge Friday that the tape could "cause irreparable harm to the pending criminal and grand jury investigation."

Perez died hours after complaining of severe headaches and vomiting. His cause of death remains undetermined.

The Department of Juvenile Justice has since fired two employees and suspended six others.

Copyright 2011 by WPBF.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              Court hearing scheduled to analyze Eric Perez's death in...
              « Reply #113 on: August 13, 2011, 10:38:03 AM »
              The original title for this article, prior to being updated, was "Grand jury to analyze Eric Perez's death in Palm Beach County juvenile lockup."

A last minute retraction of the request for the Palm Beach lock-up video ... obviated the need for a grand jury. So it got canceled.

Video news footage at the title link:

NEWS CHANNEL 5 — WPTV

Court hearing scheduled to analyze Eric Perez's death in Palm Beach County juvenile lockup canceled

Posted: 08/02/2011
              By: Christina Mora

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - A court hearing originally scheduled for Tuesday morning, which could have been pivotal in the case of Eric Perez, 18, who died in custody last month, never happened.

State prosecutors are calling on a grand jury to analyze the death of the teenager who died at a Palm Beach County juvenile detention center. The proceeding was going to center around a videotape showing Perez's last hours alive.

Perez's mother wanted to see the tape, and state prosecutors wanted to prevent its release, saying it would hurt a potential criminal case.

The court received a fax Tuesday morning from the new attorney representing Perez's mother, saying she has withdrawn her request to see the video. But she says, she'd like to reserve the right to see it in the future.

Perez was in custody for possessing marijuana. Authorities say he died hours after complaining he was sick.

Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              Mother of teen who died in West Palm Beach juvie jail rescin
              « Reply #114 on: August 17, 2011, 02:06:16 AM »
              The Palm Beach Post

Mother of teen who died in West Palm Beach juvie jail rescinds request for videotape

BY JANE MUSGRAVE
              Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Updated: 8:56 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2011
              Posted: 12:55 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2011

Eric Perez · Photo provided

Maritza Perez, the mother of Eric Perez, at a press conference Monday afternoon. (Damon Higgins/The Palm Beach Post)

WEST PALM BEACH — The mother of an 18-year-old who died in a juvenile detention center in July has decided not to seek a videotape that she believes would shed light on what happened to her son.

A court hearing on Maritza Perez's request was canceled Tuesday after she met with state prosecutors, her new attorney John Caracuzzo said. With the Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office planning to launch a grand jury investigation into the July 10 death of Eric Perez, his mother decided to withdraw her quest for the video- at least temporarily.

"Prosecutors felt that what was best for their investigation was not to have the tape released," Caracuzzo said. "Ms. Perez does not want to do anything that might impede their investigation."

He expressed confidence that prosecutors Scott Richardson and Andrew Slater were committed to finding out why medical treatment wasn't given to Eric, who died nearly eight hours after guards found him in his cell dazed and confused.

The request for the videotape was filed by Maritza Perez's former attorney. The attorney, Richard Schuler, is now representing Perez's father, Placido Ventura. A state law that went into effect last month prohibits the release of videotapes when a death is involved, however such tapes can be released to parents and spouses.

In a court papers, Slater argued that the tape could be withheld from parents if a death is under investigation. Caracuzzo declined comment on whether he shares Slater's view. At this point, he said he wants to help prosecutors determine how Perez died rather than fight over the interpretation of a law.

The Florida Department of Justice has released few details about Perez's death. But while its inspector general and the West Palm Beach Department continue to investigate, the department has fired three employees. Anthony Flowers, the superintendent, remains on paid administrative leave along with three other officers, officials said.

On Monday, officer Laryell King was fired. Her termination letter states that she failed to successfully complete her probationary period. Two other officers - Floyd Powell and Terrence Davis - were fired for equally nebulous reasons. In termination letters, department officials said "we cannot tolerate staff not following policies and procedures, especially as it relates to the medical care of youth in custody."

Powell claims he was ordered not to call 911, even when it was clear Perez needed medical help. He has hired an attorney who said she plans to file a wrongful termination lawsuit on his behalf.

A confidential incident report The Palm Beach Post obtained two weeks ago said Perez appeared to be hallucinating when detention center guards went into his cell about 1:25 a.m. Even though he threw up, a nurse never arrived and guards didn't call 911.

Perez was given a soda and sent back to his cell where he was found unconscious about 6½ hours later. He was declared dead by paramedics about 8:10 a.m.

The medical examiner has not released an autopsy report. Maritza Perez has said that officials have given her conflicting explanations for her son's death. She was told that he had trouble breathing, that he had an enlarged heart and that he had bleeding in his brain.

Caracuzzo said he is hopeful that the facts surrounding Perez's death are forthcoming soon.

User comments are not being accepted on this article.

Copyright © 2011 The Palm Beach Post.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              Video of Eric Perez's final moments in detention center may.
              « Reply #115 on: August 17, 2011, 01:52:12 PM »
              Video news footage at the title link:

NEWS CHANNEL 5 — WPTV

Video of Eric Perez's final moments in detention center may not be released

Eric Perez's mother cancels video release hearing

Posted: 08/02/2011 8:02 PM
              By: Mike Trim

Photographer: WPTV · Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - A teenager's death in a local juvenile lockup is now being treated as a criminal investigation.

18-year-old Eric Perez died last month at a West Palm Beach juvenile detention center.

Security camera video of his last moments may play a big part in that investigation.

By law, parents are allowed to have to this type of video, but the public isn't.

Prior to Monday morning, Perez's mother, Maritza Perez, said she not only wanted the video, but wanted everyone to see it.

That suddenly changed as Maritza Perez canceled the hearing at the Palm Beach County courthouse.

The hearing may have allowed her access to all video of her son's final hours alive.

Perez canceled the hearing through a faxed request from her attorney's office.

Eric Perez's cause of death hasn't been released, but his mother's attorney, John Caracuzzo, released a statement to NewsChannel Five.

"We wanted to cooperate with the state attorney's office with every extent we can," said Caracuzzo's statement.

Paperwork filed before the canceled hearing by the State Attorney's office asked a judge who would reside over that hearing to not release the video to the public.

The filed paperwork stated releasing the video to the public will cause irreparable harm to the pending criminal and grand jury investigation.

Medical records show Perez complained of headaches and violently vomited before dying.

Two detention center guards responsible for Perez when he died have been fired and the center's superintendent is suspended.

The State Attorney's office is tight lipped about which charges anyone could face if a criminal investigation finds fault with the detention center.

A State Attorney's office spokeswoman tells NewsChannel Five, "Our office doesn't comment on charges that may or may not be filed in the future."

Court papers filed by the State Attorney's office show the investigation into Perez's death is expected to take 60 to 90 days.

This is because it will take several weeks for the medical examiner's office to finish its report.

Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              Mom drops request for video of son's death
              « Reply #116 on: August 17, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
              The Miami Herald
              Posted on Tuesday, 08.02.11

JUVENILE JUSTICE CASE

Mom drops request for video of son's death

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER
              [email protected]

Eric Perez (Photo provided)

The mother of a teenager who died at a South Florida juvenile detention center after seeking medical attention for hours is no longer seeking the video of his final hours at the lockup.

A hearing on the fate of the video, set for Tuesday morning, was canceled by lawyers for 47-year-old Maritza Perez, the teen's mother. Eric Perez, 18, was pronounced dead at 8:09 a.m. July 10, hours after he first starting vomiting and complaining of an excruciating headache. A guard from the West Palm Beach lockup told The Miami Herald he had tried to call 911, but was ordered not to by his supervisors. The guard has been fired, along with two others.

In a pleading filed in Palm Beach Circuit Court, Perez's lawyers wrote: "Let this serve as Ms. Perez's formal withdrawal at this time of her request for a copy of any and all video from the Palm Beach Regional Detention Center, as outlined by her previous attorneys' July 20, 2011" pleading.

"Ms. Perez reserves the right to renew this request at a later date," the pleading added.

Perez's lawyer, John Caracuzzo, said Perez met Monday with prosecutors, who persuaded his client to be patient while the Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office presents evidence to a grand jury. Perez, Caracuzzo said, is eager to see justice done for her son, and is willing to wait for the grand jury to complete its work.

"Our first goal is to let prosecutors do what they need to do," Caracuzzo said.

Perez's withdrawal of her request for the video makes it unlikely the public will know any time soon exactly happened the morning of July 10 at the West Palm Beach lockup.

In the spring, state lawmakers passed a revision to Florida’s public records law forbidding the release of pictures or recordings that show a person dying. The bill, which took effect last month, included one exception: the spouse, parents or relatives of the deceased may still be given copies. Perez had insisted repeatedly she wanted "the world" to know how her son died. But if she does not seek the video, it is unlikely to see the light of day.

Since the youth's death, administrators with the Department of Juvenile Justice have fired three guards and suspended three other employees, including the lockup's superintendent, Anthony Flowers.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              Comments: "Mom drops request for video of son's death"
              « Reply #117 on: August 17, 2011, 03:14:16 PM »
              Comments left for the above article, "Mom drops request for video of son's death" (by Carol Marbin Miller, 08.02.11, The Miami Herald):

susanamalnati · 08/03/2011 08:59 AM
                There is absolutely no excuse for any guard or prison employee not to have assisted a sick teenager up to the point to left him died in prison. !!!!! ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS BEHAVIOR !!!!!!!
              Nissey43 · 08/03/2011 09:51 AM
                How the hell you tell a gaurd not to call 911 if a child is in need of medical emergancy? I been locked up before and let me tell you, these gaurds to watch the inmates milk the clock and treat everyone as if the murdered somebody. Jail could happend to anybody, even if you get caught driving with a suspended license. I remember burning up with fever in jail and they do not care they tell you to fill out a medical request and to respond it takes about 2 days. I feel very sorry about what happend to this boy and they shouldve called in a nurse to check on him at least to cover thier stupidity
              Sofrito · 08/03/2011 11:30 AM
                That's murder.  What kind of monster watches a child die in pain and does nothing.  I'm so revolted and sad about this.
              Observer101 · 08/03/2011 01:21 PM
                I am still wondering...he was fine for the first 7 days after his arrest, and then he started "having convulsions, throwing up" etc.... I have to wonder what the autopsy revealed, and what REALLY HAPPENED?    I guess we have to await the grand jury's findings, but even then we may never know for sure...
                And YES, the guards, supervisors and others contributed to this boy's death....
              James Joyce · 08/03/2011 04:25 PM
              James Joyce · 08/03/2011 04:26 PM

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              State seeks reforms for juvenile lockups
              « Reply #118 on: August 20, 2011, 10:15:40 AM »
              The Miami Herald
              Posted on Wednesday, 08.03.11

JUVENILE JUSTICE

State seeks reforms for juvenile lockups

While transparency is an important goal, it must not come at the expense of justice, Florida's top juvenile justice administrator said.

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER
              [email protected]

Florida's top juvenile justice chief vowed Wednesday to work tirelessly until administrators know what killed an 18-year-old youth at a South Florida lockup, and said the state has developed plans to ensure other detained children fare better.

Department of Juvenile Justice Secretary Wansley Walters released a short statement Wednesday saying her department is investigating the death of 18-year-old Eric Perez, and aiding probes by the Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office and West Palm Beach Police. Until the investigations are complete, Walters said, the agency will not be able to speak freely "about the incident itself and the steps we have taken to make us the national role model for juvenile justice administration."

"In the short term, DJJ's primary responsibility in this tragic incident is to ensure that these investigations proceed without delay or impairment," Walters wrote. "We won't rest until every question about Eric's death is answered.

"In the long term, we are determined to implement meaningful reforms that comprehensively improve how we serve the youth in our care and all our stakeholders," Walters added.

Among the reforms Walters is seeking: expanding statewide a civil citation and diversion program she implemented in Miami so that children at low risk do not end up in detention centers such as the one in which Perez died; reducing the number of children sent to locked detention centers; reforming the lockups themselves, and de-emphasizing residential centers in favor of prevention and early intervention programs for at-risk youth.

The push toward greater community-based interventions, Walters wrote, will "hold youth accountable, protect public safety, create jobs and promote healthy futures for children."

Walters' statement was released the day after Perez's mother withdrew her request for a copy of a video that depicts Perez's final hours at the West Palm Beach lockup, where he died June 10 after unsuccessfully seeking medical care for hours. The cause of the youth's death remains undetermined. Walters has insisted she wants her agency to be transparent and open, but not at the expense of hindering a criminal investigation into the teen's death.

"While I am committed to transparency in how we operate, I am also mindful that three investigations into this incident are under way, two of which are being conducted by law enforcement agencies," Walters wrote. "Nothing we say or do must compromise their work."

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              Comments: "State seeks reforms for juvenile lockups"
              « Reply #119 on: August 20, 2011, 10:26:28 AM »
              Comments left for the above article, "State seeks reforms for juvenile lockups" (by Carol Marbin Miller, 08.03.11, Miami Herald):

michael wind · 2 weeks ago
                just go to the courthouse all you see is black and latino youth its a human tragedy,while the real big time criminals nothing happens to them.
              studd · 2 weeks ago
                Put these children to work. China uses prison labor to build toys and other low cost production products. These prisons would be more profitable if they included all the children of families who are refusing to pay banks their mortgages. Open debtor prisons, and imprison whole families for the crimes of trying to cheat the banks. One in 5 homeowners in Miami refuse to pay their mortgage, they are stealing from Wall Street and those families and children belong in these jails working their debts off!!!