Author Topic: The world will never know how Eric Perez died  (Read 31723 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
The world will never know how Eric Perez died
« on: July 19, 2011, 01:07:36 AM »
Florida's Anti-Faces of Death Law May Hide How 18-Year-Old Died in State Hands (By Matthew Hendley, Broward Palm Beach, July 18, 2011)

Thanks to a new law teenagers can die in the abuse hands of state workers. After the well-known boot camp law, the politicians became tired of being looked over the shoulder, so the passed a new law where the police can put tapes in a drawer and never look at them.

Now Eric Perez is death. Thanks to the new law, he is basically considered to have died of old age, despite the fact that he only managed to live 18 years.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Juvenile dies while in detention
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 10:48:56 AM »
It might be helpful to go back a little in time, just over a week from that blog entry in the OP, to when Eric Perez actually died. That would have been Sunday morning, July 10th, 2011.

Here's what appears to be one of the first articles that came out about Eric Perez's death, having been posted the day after:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

NEWS CHANNEL 5 — WPTV

Juvenile dies while in detention
At a facility in West Palm Beach

Posted: 07/11/2011
By: WPTV Web Team

Photographer: Courtesy: Fla. Dept. of Juvenile Justice
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - The state is investigating the death of a juvenile who was in custody at the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center in West Palm Beach.

Samadhi Jones, with the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice, confirmed that the juvenile died at the West Palm Beach facility Sunday morning at 8:09 a.m.

She said he was pronounced dead by Emergency Medical Services.

The cause of death is unknown and under investigation by the DJJ Office of the Inspector General and the West Palm Beach Police.

In a written release Jones said, "We offer our prayers and sympathy for the young man's family and loved ones."

According to its website the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center is a 65 bed, hardware secure facility that serves youth detained by various circuit court(s). Youth are detained pending adjudication, disposition or placement in commitment facility.

The facility provides supervision of youth in a safe, secure and humane environment, according to the website.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Juvenile dies while in detention, mother speaks out
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 11:01:58 AM »
Video news footage at the title link:

NEWS CHANNEL 5 — WPTV

Juvenile dies while in detention, mother speaks out
Family suspects something went wrong

Posted: 07/11/2011
By: Rochelle Ritchie

Photographer: WPTV · Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - She was supposed to be preparing for his homecoming, but now a mother is making funeral preparations for her son who died at the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center.

The family of 18-year-old Eric Perez says he was a troubled teen, but was beginning to turn his life around. Now suddenly that life is over, just as he was set to be released from juvenile detention.

"What happened to my son, that's what I want to know," says Maritza Perez, the boy's mother.

"It hurts, it hurts, I mean I can't really explain it," says Carlos Perez, a family member.

Maritza Perez says her son, Eric, had just celebrated his 18th birthday and Monday he was found dead in his cell.

"At first when I found out I wanted to go with him. I'm not going to lie, I wanted to kill myself but I have 3 more kids," says Maritza Perez.

Perez says detectives told her that her son had breathing problems and that other officials indicated he died of a "sudden illness."

"He had no asthma, no trouble breathing. This the first time I hear of this," she says.

Family members suspect something else went wrong. They don't know what, but they are seeking the truth.

"They told me Eric had an enlarged heart and he had bleeding in his brain," says his aunt. "I just don't understand how a 17-year-old goes to sleep and wakes up dead."

"You could expect that from an elderly [person], but not a healthy 17-year-old. It's something more to the story than they're saying," says David Perez.

Perez's mother says she spoke with her son just hours before he was found dead, and he was excited about going into a Job Corps. program; a program he said would change his life.

"He wanted to go there he wanted to work he just wanted to change his life," recalls Maritza.

She says the family won't rest until they are satisfied all their questions have been answered.

"The money is not going to bring my son back I just want them to pay for what they did," Maritza said.

An investigation has been launched into how the teen died.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Juvenile dies while in detention, mother speaks o
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 02:32:35 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "Juvenile dies while in detention, mother speaks out" (by Rochelle Ritchie, 07/11/2011, News Channel 5 - WPTV):

Steve Galla · Last Week
    First the crime then the cover up.............now they'll investigate themselves and find they did nothing wrong.............case over..............
Jae Osk · Last Week
    So how does one exactly wake up dead?
Michelle Laudenslager Perez · Last Week
    Not to say nothing happened.. but being a CMA, i know this... Cardiomyopathy, or heart muscle disease, is a type of progressive heart disease in which the heart is abnormally enlarged, thickened, and/or stiffened. As a result, the heart muscle's ability to pump blood is weakened, often causing heart failure and the backup of blood into the lungs or rest of the body. (BRAIN INCLUDED) The disease can also cause abnormal heart rhythms. If he never had problems before, this could have been undetected.
Lydia SheeCutee McCright · Last Week
    I cant believe this happened to you . I remember it like it was the other day when we were making fun of our computer teacher and singing Get money by lil Wayne. I miss you and you that you were loved . I misas you and Im trying not to cry to be strong . Ima hold my head up baby boy. You will always be loved !!!!
Mary Mccaskill · Last Week
    to the family ,,my prayers are w you ,,The tuth will be found ,,beleive that ,,,,i am sorry for your loss..our family has lost a child ,,so i know what u are all fealing,
Donna Sayles-Corbin · Last Week
    This is BS! Enlarged heart and bleeding on the brain? Yeah right! This family shouldn't stop until they are told the truth and those responsible are put away.
Jodi Shortle-Colberg · Last Week
    As an ex- employee at DOC I can only imagine what happened. Can we say, I don't know!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Police Investigate Death Of Inmate At Juvenile Facility
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 03:05:44 PM »
Geez... The word "inmate" is mentioned three times in the following short article, not even including the title.

If my cursory overlook of the articles is correct (which it may very well not be), I think Eric Perez got stopped for a broken bicycle light, and was subsequently discovered to have some marijuana in his pocket, which was a violation of his probation for an earlier charge. He was due to be released in a few days, when his untimely death occurred.

abc25 - WPBF

Police Investigate Death Of Inmate At Juvenile Facility
Inmate Died Sunday Morning At Juvenile Facility In West Palm Beach

Erin Guy, Reporter
POSTED: 4:01 pm EDT July 11, 2011
UPDATED: 7:38 am EDT July 12, 2011

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Police are investigating the death of an inmate who was in custody at a juvenile detention center in West Palm Beach.

West Palm Beach police spokesman Chase Scott said the male inmate died Sunday morning at the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center.

Police haven't said how the inmate died and are awaiting the results of an autopsy.

An administrator at the juvenile detention center said nobody has been placed on administrative leave at this time.

Copyright 2011 by WPBF.com.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Police Investigate Death Of Inmate At Juvie..."
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "Police Investigate Death Of Inmate At Juvenile Facility" (by Erin Guy; July 12, 2011; ABC News 25 - WPBF):

snake02 · Jul. 11, 2011 8:11pm EST
    My God how dose this happen?We count on the justice system to protect the young ones that are in a bad place as it is.As parents we can only pray until something like this happens.They take them away to punish them and can't explain how a young person dies while in state coustody.I pray for those parents and what ever happened to intervention and tough love?I keep my kids close so they don't end up in places like that.God help our future and these kids.Rest in peace young one.
anagel01 · Jul. 11, 2011 9:25pm EST
    Where was medical? And we think our childeren are protected.
YeaBuddy · Jul. 12, 2011 9:18am EST
    fighting over crayons to make a shank with?
nola · Jul. 12, 2011 9:50am EST
    I read another report he was huffing Jenkem (poop gas), nasty
YeaBuddy · Jul. 12, 2011 10:50am EST
    Nice. Dont light a match around that mix!

Copyright 2011 by WPBF.com.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Teen dies while in detention at West Palm Beach state facili
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 10:59:21 PM »
Video news footage at the title link...

Another version of this article is also at TCPalm.com under a slightly different title: Fort Pierce teen dies while in detention at state facility in West Palm Beach | Video (video news footage also accessible at that link).

The Palm Beach Post

Teen dies while in detention at West Palm Beach state facility

BY MICHAEL LAFORGIA AND JULIUS WHIGHAM II
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Updated: 11:53 p.m. Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Posted: 6:10 p.m. Monday, July 11, 2011

WEST PALM BEACH — Authorities are investigating the death of an inmate who died Sunday morning while in custody at a West Palm Beach detention center.

A young man was pronounced dead at 8:10 a.m. Sunday at the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center, Florida Department of Juvenile Justice spokeswoman Samadhi Jones confirmed Monday.

The department's inspector general and the West Palm Beach Police Department are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death.

Jones said she could not release the victim's name because of state law. But Maritza Perez of Fort Pierce said investigators told her Sunday the victim was her son, Eric, who turned 18 this month.

Eric Perez had been charged with violating his probation June 28. According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, he had been arrested six times in Palm Beach and St. Lucie counties since May 2008 for offenses such as burglary, larceny and marijuana possession.

Maritza Perez said her son was due to be released this week.

She said that representatives from West Palm Beach police, the detention center and the Palm Beach County Medical Examiner's Office indicated that her son died of a sudden illness.

"Everybody keeps giving me different stories of how he passed," she said.

Maritza Perez said she heard from a West Palm Beach detective Sunday.

"When we talked to the detective yesterday, he was telling me that Eric was out of breath, that he couldn't breathe, and that the kid who was in the cell with him was trying to get the attention of the guards," she said.

Maritza Perez said the lieutenant from the detention center said Eric had an enlarged heart and had bleeding in his brain.

A representative from the medical examiner's office indicated his office was examining Eric's lungs, Maritza Perez said.

User comments are not being accepted on this article.

Copyright © 2011 The Palm Beach Post.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Eric Perez — Area Death Notice
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 10:44:33 AM »
Eric Perez

Area Death Notice

Perez, Eric, 18, of West Palm Beach, died Sunday. Tillman Funeral Home, West Palm Beach. Visitation and funeral Thursday.

Published in The Palm Beach Post on July 13, 2011

© Copyright 1999-2011 Legacy.com

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Eric Perez (Tributes.com)
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
In addition to the above death notice, there are two obituaries on the web, where people can leave condolences and memories. Here's the first one, from Tributes.com:

Eric Perez

BORN: July 3, 1993
    DIED: July 10, 2011
    RESIDENCE: Port Saint Lucie, FL

Eric was born on July 3, 1993 and passed away on Sunday, July 10, 2011.

Eric was last known to be living in Port Saint Lucie, Florida.

Reposing 6-9 PM Thursday, July 14, 2011 at Tillman Funeral Home, 2170 S. Military Trail, West Palm Beach, where a funeral service will be held at 8:00 PM.

© 2011 Tributes, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Eric Perez - Memory Book (Tributes.com)
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
Eric Perez - Memory Book
(Tributes.com)

Posted by: Alyssa - west palm beach , FL - bestfriend  · Jul 20, 2011
    i remember me and you use to hang out everyday at the beach... i cant believe ur gone nobody understands how much i miss you and love you its not going to be the same with out you baby!!!

© 2011 Tributes, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
ERIC PEREZ - Obituary (Palm Beach Memorial)
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
In Celebration of a life well lived

Eric Perez passed away on 7/10/2011. Interment will be held on 7/18/2011 at 2:00 PM

Eric Perez
    July 3, 1993 - July 10, 2011
    Interment : Monday July 18, 2011, 2:00 PM at Palm Beach Memorial Park.[/list][/size]

Palm Beach Memorial Park, 3691 Seacrest Boulevard, Lantana, Fl. 33463
    Copyright 2009

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Guestbook for Eric Perez (Palm Beach Memorial)
    « Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »
    Guestbook for Eric Perez
    (Palm Beach Memorial)

Neil Siegel · July 21,2011
      to the perez family;sorry for the loss of your son eric perez.my thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this time of sorrow.may god comfort you and be with all of you during this sad time.I do hope that the lawyers and Investigators will solve this case and determind what happened to your son eric.may god bless all of you at this time.Neil Siegel Palm beach co. sheriff's department [email protected] 7/20/11

Palm Beach Memorial Park, 3691 Seacrest Boulevard, Lantana, Fl. 33463
    Copyright 2009

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    6 employees placed on leave, following the death of...
    « Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 11:46:32 AM »
    Back to the news coverage...

NEWS CHANNEL 5 — WPTV

6 employees placed on leave, following the death of an 18-year-old at a juvenile detention center

Posted: 07/14/2011
    By: WPTV Web Team

Photographer: WPTV · Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Six detention center employees were placed on paid administrative leave following the death investigation of a teen who died on Sunday while in custody at the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center.

The six employees were placed on leave effective July 12,  pending the outcome of investigations into circumstances surrounding his death, Florida Department of Juvenile Justice spokeswoman Samadhi Jones confirmed today.

"The DJJ is conducting an intensive review of actions taken by department personnel to determine whether policies and procedures were followed," said Jones.

West Palm Beach Police Department is also investigating the circumstances surrounding the death.

“The sudden loss of this young man brings deep sadness to all of us at the DJJ,” said Secretary Wansley Walters. “We offer our heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones.”

Jones said she could not release the victim's name because of state law. But Maritza Perez of Fort Pierce said investigators told her Sunday the victim was her son, Eric Perez.

The family of 18-year-old Eric Perez says he was a troubled teen, but was beginning to turn his life around.

Now suddenly that life is over, just as he was set to be released from juvenile detention.

Perez's funeral was held on Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Tillman Funeral home located at 2170 Military Trail in West Palm Beach.

Rochelle Ritchie contributed to this report.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Report: Six put on leave while state probes death of teen...
    « Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
    Video news footage at the title link:

The Palm Beach Post

Report: Six put on leave while state probes death of teen at West Palm Beach detention center

Palm Beach Post Staff Report

Updated: 5:38 a.m. Friday, July 15, 2011
    Posted: 9:34 p.m. Thursday, July 14, 2011

Six detention center employees were placed on paid administrative leave while authorities investigate the death of an inmate who died Sunday at the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center, news partner WPTV Channel 5 reported Thursday.

The six facility employees were placed on leave effective Tuesday, pending the outcome of investigations into circumstances surrounding the teenager's death, WPTV reported.

A Florida Department of Juvenile Justice spokeswoman declined to identify the teen, citing state law. However, Maritza Perez of Fort Pierce said investigators told her Sunday that the victim was her son, Eric Perez.

Maritza Perez said investigators told her that Eric died of a sudden illness. A lieutenant from the detention center said Eric had an enlarged heart and had bleeding in his brain, Maritza Perez said. A representative from the Palm Beach County Medical Examiner's office indicated his office was examining Eric's lungs, she said.

Eric turned 18 this month and, according to his mother, he was set to be released from juvenile detention this week.

Eric Perez had been charged with violating his probation June 28. According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, he had been arrested six times in Palm Beach and St. Lucie counties since May 2008 for offenses such as burglary, larceny and marijuana possession.

The DJJ Office of Inspector General and the West Palm Beach Police Department are investigating the circumstances surrounding his death.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "Report: Six put on leave while state probes death
    « Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 07:19:35 PM »
    Comments left for the above article, "Report: Six put on leave while state probes death of teen at West Palm Beach detention center" (Palm Beach Post Staff Report; July 14, 2011; The Palm Beach Post):

Patricia Cournoyer · 10:33 PM, 7/14/2011
      If my memory serves me right this is not the first time this has happened at this Juvenile Detention Center , And I believe those responsible were barely slapped on the hand. This all reeks with another episode of abuse.
    It's a shame · 1:34 AM, 7/15/2011
      @ Patricia Cournoyer:

Your memory may be correct. The poor child

Ms. Perez should seek the immediate representation of counsel to make sure that those responsible are brought to justice

These "investigations" skew facts & give the benefit of the doubt to the agency to protect against civil & criminal liability, and are not to be trusted. You already see the attempts of denial by the comments of irresponsible individuals as to the cause of death. An independet autopsy will go a long way
    Shame Shame Shame..... · 1:47 AM, 7/15/2011
      SHAME on the coward(s) who wrote the article by hiding behind the label of "staff report", and by publishing confidential juvenile history to smear the juvenile victim after death.

"Staff writer": Are you implying that he deserved to die?

Individuals get arrested all the time, without probable cause, or are later acquitted of the charges for which they were arrested.

Most recent notable case?? Casey Anthony.
    cathy · 2:29 AM, 7/15/2011
      May Eric Perez R.I.P. Prayer's & Blessing's to the Perez family. May Angel's ^y^ ^y^ ^y^ watch over ya'll at this time of such a loss of a young man. God Bless, Cathy
    Concerned Parent · 6:16 AM, 7/15/2011
      This is very sad to hear, my son was in the facility in April and he was assaulted by someone I request to have the video and I have not seen as of today. Nobody has yet to get back with me about the investigation. Not to add that my son suffers from mental illness and is on medications. These adults are in positions to help troubled kids and they do more harm than anything else...
    Reajjy??? · 6:35 AM, 7/15/2011
      "the DJJ and West Palm Beach Police Dept. are investigating the circumstances surrounding his death"
      REALLY???
      The police are investigating the police!?!
      I wonder how that will come out??
    david · 8:25 AM, 7/15/2011
      dont waste our money looking into this .we all know everybody will be innocent of any crime.they all cover for themselves.give me a break.
    The Truth · 10:15 AM, 7/15/2011
      So who enlarged this kids heart? Come on? Own up? WHO DID IT? Someone needs to be guilty or the lynch mob will turn their attentions from Casey and head this way....
    Really · 6:19 PM, 7/15/2011
      So all this judgement for what, a news article? Where are the facts? When did the last child die at this detention center? People quick to add jump on the bandwagon. What did you do as a parent to try to help you child not end up locked up? Please people, I have worked there for many years in my past & I had more kids see me as a parent than their own parents. Mentoring,, we do it daily and for pay so low, its hard to live a family lifestyle of our own. But we work to effect change in these kids
    Rick · 5:29 AM, 7/16/2011
      I have no idea what happened to this unfortunate youngster, but I remember when I was incarcerated in a youth hall in the fifties. The guards were incredibly cruel and frequently tied a child to the bed and beat them for next to nothing. Their screams would scare the rest of us into silence and blind obedience. But it was a very scary place to be locked up and helpless.