Author Topic: B SEMBLER AND THE FLORIDA WOMAN'S HAL OF FAME  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: B SEMBLER AND THE FLORIDA WOMAN'S HAL OF FAME
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 05:17:09 PM »
I called today, but could not get past the receptionist.  Left a message for the ex director (although I don't think it was her answering machine)  Told her of my displeasure and I'd see her tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 08:53:47 PM »
check out www.orangetoiletnews.com for updates and pictures of the protest

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 08:18:32 PM »
Reports are just starting to come in. Got a few pics up on the blog and I heard that Mike was on a live broadcast on Florida News Network in frame with Charlie Crist and Betty Sembler. Can anybody find a link for that?
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 12:46:34 PM »
We gotta buy the dvd...I have the video director's card and will be contacting him in the near future for the dvd.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 04:43:17 PM »
Ok, I have 5 videos up at http://OrangeToiletNews.com/ Unfortunately, I don't have the codec to view them. Could some kind and knowledgeable soul please help me with the captions?

Thanks!
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
HON. C. W. BILL YOUNG's Speech on Betty Sembler
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »
Golleee... It's enough to put me into a diabetic coma...  :eek:

-------------- • -------------- • -------------- • --------------

http://www.house.gov/young/speeches/bet ... r_whof.pdf
February 3, 2009 . CONGRESSIONAL RECORD — Extensions of Remarks E193 HON. C. W. BILL YOUNG

BETTY SEMBLER OF TREASURE ISLAND, FLORIDA
SELECTED FOR FLORIDA WOMEN'S HALL OF FAME

HON. C. W. BILL YOUNG
    OF FLORIDA[/list]
    IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mr. YOUNG of Florida. Madam Speaker, Mrs. Betty Sembler, who I have the privilege to represent, has been named to the Florida Women's Hall of Fame for her lifetime of work to protect our nation's youth and adults from the scourge of drug abuse.

Florida Governor Charlie Crist selected her to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame in recognition of her three decade war on drugs. This is an effort she has taken on with great passion at the local, state and federal level. Betty has been a delegate to the White House Conference for a Drug-Free America and a member of the Governor's Drug Policy Task Force in Florida. She has served on the board of DARE Florida and DARE America, a national organization that provides anti-drug education to elementary and middle school students.

Betty also took her battle worldwide as she served as Vice Chairwoman of DARE International and fought against international drug legalization efforts around the globe while traveling with her husband Mel, who served as U.S. Ambassador to Australia and Italy.

Back home in Pinellas County, Betty was the Founder and President of Save Our Society from Drugs and the Drug Free America Foundation, Inc., nationally and internationally recognized non-profit organizations that promote sound drug policies, drug free workplaces, high school and college drug awareness and education programs, maintain one of the nation's largest libraries of anti-drug literature and reports, disseminate reliable scientific information, and help with the development of international drug free standards through The International Taskforce on Strategic Drug Policy and The Drug Prevention Network of the Americas.

In addition to her tireless work against drug abuse, Betty has also found time to serve on the Board of the Florida Holocaust Museum; the Florida Governor's Mansion Foundation; the Florida House in Washington, DC; and the University of Florida Brain Addiction Research Advisory Council.

Betty's non-stop work against drug abuse and in so many other philanthropic efforts have been honored nationally. In May 2005, she was named as an honorary Special Agent of the Drug Enforcement Agency and in March 2008, the Drug Enforcement Agency Museum Foundation presented her with a Lifetime Achievement Award. She has also been recognized by the Houston Drug Free Business Initiative and in 2000 the Girl Scouts of the Suncoast Council named her a "Woman of Distinction."

Madam Speaker, I have known Betty Sembler for many years not only as a constituent but as a dear friend and I can tell you that no one works harder for our community, our state and our nation. She has fought the war against drugs block by block, state by state and nation by nation. She is called upon by medical, government and law enforcement leaders for her advice on combating illegal drugs and on drug education campaigns.

And she has represented the United States with great distinction as the First Lady to Ambassador Mel Sembler. She has been most gracious in forging special relationships with the leaders of some of our nation's greatest and most critical allies.

In all of these endeavors, Betty Sembler has served with a special spirit and energy that has amazed all who have come to know her. Her greatest passion though, is for her family. Mel, her husband of 56 years, and Betty are the proud parents of three children and 11 grandchildren. They are special Americans who have always kept their priorities in order—faith, family and country.

Madam Speaker, I ask my colleagues to join me today in thanking Betty Sembler for her lifelong service to our nation and in congratulating her on being inducted into the Florida Women's Hall of Fame.

f

VerDate Nov 24 2008 04:53 Feb 04, 2009 Jkt 079060 PO 00000 Frm 00015 Fmt 0626 Sfmt 9920 E:CRFMA03FE8.034 E03FEPT1
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

dragonfly

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 07:19:56 AM »