Author Topic: Charter school 'Character Virus' now in Florida  (Read 7947 times)

Offline Xelebes

• View Profile
Re: Charter school 'Character Virus' now in Florida
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 04:40:59 PM »
Was that advertisement?  I thought I was bringing up an issue.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Judge Joe Brown

• View Profile
deleted September 8, 2011
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »
deleted September 8, 2011
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:26:39 AM by Judge Joe Brown »

Offline Xelebes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 04:58:38 PM »
Ah, sorry.  I think I found a better article off of Michigan Live's business section.  I'll edit the OP.

Offline Xelebes

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 06:54:23 PM »
So apparently there is some connection of one sort or another.  It does make sense as to connections, considering that Dr. Rehnborg of Nutrilive did spend the period 1917-1927 in China from where he learned his remedies.  China seems to be a launching point for many washing schemes. It might also have a connection with Chinese emperor's efforts to combat heroin addiction within his troops while they were in a breathing gap between the two Sino-Japanese Wars.  It was also the 1920s that Canada used anti-Chinese sentiments to go after heroin.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 09:23:08 PM »
Quote from: "Xelebes"
I'm curious about a possible connection to Amway.  DeVos, owner of Amway also owns the Orlando Magic.  A new story has come out with the Detroit Red Wings having a new sponsorship agreement with Amway.  Link to article.

Looking up a few things, Amway and Nutriline have some very vague connections to Synanon (we might have to go to the 1920s or 1930s to find the link.)

(Link edited.)
I wish I knew more about Orlando city politics. I get the vague impression that... there's a fair amount of cronyism afoot.

As far as Amway is concerned, folks have made comparisons of Hyde School with Amway in the past. Here are two examples:

Excerpt of post from 08 Jan 2006:
Quote from: "Guest"
My first impression of Hyde was that it reminded me of Amway with its therapeutic meetings that seemed to camouflage the hidden agenda of the 'LEADER'. I looked at this with some amusement, but when I saw first-hand that some of the kids there were being punished for behavior that was a direct result of their LD, I realized how destructive this type of school was for my daughter. She went into Hyde mildly depressed with no history of drug or alcohol abuse and certainly no suicidal intent. After being there for less than 2 months , she was routinely cutting her wrists. Her story might have ended in tragedy, had I listened to Hyde and stopped ' making excuses for my daughter and get with the program'.
Originally posted 28 Feb 2007:
Quote from: "Guest"
Every year there's a steady stream of parents who have hit the brick wall and, they think, run out of options with their troubled kid.
The Family groups used to be like Amway.  There was pressure to find more families/students.  There was a guy in central mass in the 70's that was responsible for bring a bunch of families on board.  He was in the mental health field and knew were to find the crazies.  Hyde/Joe eventually pissed him off and he walked.  I wonder if that was part of hyde going under in the late 70's early 80's.  Joe just kept pissing people off.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline DD Form 214

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 09:49:42 PM »
:suicide:  :twofinger:  :suicide:  :twofinger:  :suicide:  :twofinger:  :suicide:  :twofinger:

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 12:34:20 PM »
Quote from: "Judge Joe Brown"
I'm curious about a possible connection to Amway.  DeVos, owner of Amway also owns the Orlando Magic.  A new story has come out with the Detroit Red Wings having a new sponsorship agreement with Amway. ----->  Link to article. <------

Looking up a few things, Amway and Nutriline have some very vague connections to Synanon (we might have to go to the 1920s or 1930s to find the link.)
Advertisement moved from viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37448 .  They (advertisements) have been moved, for some time now,  to the Advertising  thread in the OFFA.  viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37208
Quote from: "Judge Joe Brown"
Was that advertisement?  I thought I was bringing up an issue.
Links to websites that are selling stuff (Detroit Red Wings apparel etc).
Wow, better not link to fornits! Who knows what will happen if ya happen to land on one of those pages with the Google banner ads!
 :timeout:

It's the Detroit Red Wings official site. Of course you're gonna see a few links for purchasing official Red Wings merchandise in the top or side banners. The vast majority of that page, however, is taken up by the article.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Wings, Amway make history
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 12:42:30 PM »
And, here's that article/press release, for posterity's sake...

Some video coverage and a handful of pics at the title link:

DetroitRedWings.com

Wings, Amway make history
Michigan company is team's first-ever presenting sponsor

Thursday, 09.01.2011 / 2:42 PM / News
By Bill Roose  - DetroitRedWings.com Managing Editor

DETROIT – The Red Wings and Amway took their relationship to a new historic level Thursday when it was announced that the Ada, Michigan-based company will be a presenting sponsor of the Original Six club for at least the next three seasons.

The Amway partnership marks the first time in the Wings' 86-year history that the NHL organization will have a presenting sponsor, with the Amway logo seen almost as prominently as the Winged Wheel in all team advertising, branding and marketing materials.

The new agreement is built upon last season's initial partnership, which was highlighted by the Amway logo featured on the Wings' official practice jerseys and pucks.

"Last year, we kind of put our toes in the water here by having some minor involvement; very positive," said Steve Lieberman, vice president and senior director for Amway North America. "The Red Wings are an iconic franchise. We believe that we're an iconic business. So that was really the beginning tie that bound us together.

"We weren't just looking for a sponsorship. We were looking for a partnership. It's easy to just have a financial relationship, put your name on someone else's intellectual property and claim that you have a partnership. But that's not at all what we were looking for.

"We're attaching our logo to their iconic logo. Our logo will be on the ice and all around the scoreboards. We'll be on the tickets and the brochures, and a lot of the community outreach. It will pretty much be 'Detroit Red Wings presented by Amway'. That's a pretty tie."

The new agreement will involve substantial in-arena branding initiatives, as well as an eclectic mix of innovative and interactive components designed to enhance the overall fan experience at Joe Louis Arena and in the community. Some key components of the announcement today were: that the Wings Red & White preseason scrimmage will return to Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids on Sept. 29; and Nutrilite, Amway's sports nutrition products, will be the official vitamin and supplement of the Red Wings.

"What you find when you do a presenting sponsor is if you have the same type of company that has the same goals and objectives as you have, you can kind of bounce ideas off of each other, particularly when it comes to doing things out in the community," said Tom Wilson, president of Olympia Entertainment.

"The logo is attached to ours when we do print advertising or if we do a television spot when they say, 'Detroit Red Wings hockey presented by Amway'," Wilson said. "We will be joined very, very closely. It won’t impact anything other than to bring the two brands closer together. ... We expect to be together for a long, long time."

Beginning in October, Amway will provide every "Season Ticket Holder of the Game" with a gift pack of Nutrilite and Artistry products, and every member of the Detroit Red Wings Kids Club with a Nutrilite children's vitamin package. Other Amway promotional activities will include a Johan Franzen bobblehead giveaway to the first 7,500 fans in attendance at the Dec. 8 home game against Phoenix. In addition, Amway will present the Wings' Facebook Fan of the Day as well as each of the team’s live social media events, such as Tweetups.

"Having worked together for a year, we really had a great partnership," Lieberman said. "And as things developed, we realized that we run in the same space. We're a big sponsor of the Boys & Girls Clubs; they're involved in Boys & Girls Clubs. We believe in health and nutrition; they go around to schools and talk about health and nutrition. It just made sense, and the fact that we're both Michigan companies, and both family-run and family-owned, just gave us more of a tie than anything else."

The Wings and Amway will team-up in a cross-state community-based initiative that will benefit kids who participate in local Boys and Girls Clubs of America in Detroit and Grand Rapids. The program will give children the opportunity to attend Wings games and practices at JLA.

"For fans it will be a season-long, sort of, unveiling of things," Wilson said. "It can be ticket offers. It can be giveaways at the games. It can be nutritional contests. If you're watching the games at home there will be certain prizes that will be given out for trivia contests. So it will impact everything that we do."

For years, Amway has made its presence felt in the sports and entertainment industry, and co-founder Richard DeVos, and his family, have owned the NBA's Orlando Magic since 1991. Amway also holds the naming-rights to the Magic's Florida home, Amway Center, and they are a presenting sponsor to the San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer (MLS).

"Around the world, sports and sponsorships are very common, and in the States it's developing," Lieberman said. "Soccer teams will allow you to put your names on their jerseys. Even professional football now has little patches on their practice jerseys. So I think the whole nature of sports-sponsorships in the United States and Canada will change over time. It will be more common, but we're just on the leading edge right now."

Follow Bill Roose on Twitter | @RooseBill

Copyright © 2010 Detroit Red Wings Hockey Club and the National Hockey League.

Offline Xelebes

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 12:17:04 AM »
CEDU ? Mark Hughes ? Herbalife
Nutrilife ? Amway ???^

So I think we found the link.  Though would be nice to know if there was a meeting at Esalen or Synanon with DeVos,Gauld, and/or Wasserman.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
CEDU ? Mark Hughes ? Herbalife
Nutrilife ? Amway ???^

So I think we found the link.  Though would be nice to know if there was a meeting at Esalen or Synanon with DeVos,Gauld, and/or Wasserman.
Certainly food for thought... But I have to say, fwiw, as far as Hyde School origins are concerned, that Joe Gauld is very... "East Coast." I think you'll find more material and connections in the National Training Labs' focus on "re-educating" the United States through teacher training seminars in the 1950s and 60s, not to mention the interest in "rehabilitation" that the Dept. of Defense was involved in during World War II.

A good article which touches upon stylistic differences in encounter groups on the respective coasts (e.g., Esalen vs. NTL) is Time Magazine's "Human Potential: The Revolution in Feeling" from November of 1970.

Offline Xelebes

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 02:43:51 PM »
Hm, thank you.

I'll see if I can draw up a chart of charismatic abuse to see if I can piece it better in my head.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Red Wings sign multi-year deal with Amway...
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 12:26:52 PM »
I want to post that second article that you posted a link to, Xelebes, but before I do, there's a previous and associated one that has some great comments on Amway...

MLive.com
Red Wings sign multi-year deal with Amway as its presenting sponsor

Published: Thursday, September 01, 2011, 11:55 AM
Updated: Thursday, September 01, 2011, 8:06 PM
By Ansar Khan

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings fans will be seeing Amway's logo featured prominently below the iconic winged-wheel and hearing the Ada-based company's name a lot on radio and television over the next three years, maybe more.

The Red Wings on Thursday announced Amway as the first presenting sponsor in the franchise's 86-year history.

Amway's logo, which was placed on the team's practice jerseys and practice pucks last year, will be much more prevalent at Joe Louis Arena – on the ice, on the scoreboards, on game tickets, and on a variety of advertising and marketing ventures.

It will not be on their uniform, however, as the NHL does not allow such advertising.

"This is the tip of the iceberg," Tom Wilson, president of Olympia Entertainment said at a news conference. "You're going to see things all through the year that are going to improve our game presentation, improve your television viewing.

"For fans it's going to be a year-long unveiling of different things. It can be ticket offers, giveaways at games, nutritional contests. If you're watching games at home there will be certain prizes given out. It will impact everything we do."

As part of the agreement, the Red Wings will return to Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids on Sept. 27 for an intrasquad Red and White game.

Wilson said the organization was not aggressively pursuing a presenting sponsor, but it was on their radar. He called the partnership with the giant manufacturer of health, beauty and home-care products "a logical marriage."

"You really want to look for somebody who shares a culture with you, and a value system," Wilson said. "You look for parallels with these organizations. Both companies were started by young entrepreneurs with visions to build something new. Both companies are Michigan born, both are still Michigan-based.

"Both are incredibly successful and still run by families. And the key thing is the commitment both companies have to their local communities and the people that work there."

Amway's Nutrilite brand was named the Red Wings' official vitamin and nutritional supplement.

The Red Wings and Amway will partner in a cross-state initiative benefiting Detroit and Grand Rapids youth who participate in local boys and girls clubs of America. The program will provide youth the opportunity to attend Red Wings games and practices.

"We'll be coming to them with ideas, they'll be coming to us with ideas, and at the end of the day we'll just make the experience better for all the fans and all the people in our community," Wilson said.

Wilson was the president of Palace Sports & Entertainment when the Detroit Pistons signed Rock Financial as its presenting sponsor. He realizes there will be a backlash from purists who don't like seeing a corporate logo affiliated with their sports teams.

"There's always going to be somebody who says, 'Geez, do you want to do that?' " Wilson said. "But when you sit back and see the impact that these two companies are going to have by joining forces I think all that goes away very quickly."

Steve Lieberman, Amway North America's vice president and managing director, said "Amway has many opportunities to be involved in sponsorships, but we don't choose anybody just because they want to work with us, we choose people who emulate and have the same values as our company."

He believes these types of sponsorships will become more popular among North American sports teams.

"Around the world, sports and sponsorships are very common," Lieberman said. "In the States it's developing. Soccer teams will put your (company) name on their jersey and we sponsor a soccer team (San Jose Earthquakes of the MLS). Pro football teams have patches on practice jerseys. The whole nature of sports sponsorships in the United States and Canada will become more common. We're just on the leading edge right now."

It's a three-year deal with an opportunity to renew after the second or third year.

"I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a very long-term partnership for us," Lieberman said.

© 2010 Michigan Live LLC.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 07:36:50 PM »
LOL?

I'm so beyond confused...

But anyway...

Anything more on the Charter school? And Bear.. I'm going to be leaving China next year. Can't stay any longer.. MUST GO HOME at some point. I MISS white women.

That means I need that information on that Chinese hyde clone.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 01:19:49 AM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
LOL?

I'm so beyond confused...

But anyway...

Anything more on the Charter school? And Bear.. I'm going to be leaving China next year. Can't stay any longer.. MUST GO HOME at some point. I MISS white women.

That means I need that information on that Chinese hyde clone.
:rofl:
Xelebes brought up a connection between the city of Orlando, FL and Amway.

Since...

there's somewhat of a similar pattern of exploitation of the naive and/or unsuspecting rube employed in
multi-level marketing (e.g., Amway),

...as there is in program pushing (e.g., the Hyde Foundation's attempts to install Hyde charters wherever they can, usually desperate impoverished inner-city neighborhoods),

and since, as it turns out, the city of Orlando itself (where this new Hyde charter school is located) actually does have real-life interactions as well as contractual agreements  with Amway,

...I thought I'd highlight the Amway modus operandi and connection brought up by Xelebes before turning back to the more pertinent and specific particulars re. Central Florida Leadership Academy and mover-shaker Jody M. Litchford, city of Orlando attorney and former Hyde parent.[/list]

Blech! If that isn't a convoluted enough explanation, I dunno what is! :D

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 10:28:37 AM »
You got the convoluted bit right.