Author Topic: New Leaf management buyout  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
New Leaf management buyout
« on: June 16, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »
Aspen has sold New Leaf Academy to the original owners. When Aspen took over they expanded the number of students so the girls became just a number instead of getting the individual attention they got pre-Aspen.

It is odd but in general the girls do speak well of the original program so they must have been coming from rather dysfunctional families. Mostly it has been used by custorial parents to keep non-custorial parents away from their girls.

Aspen couldn't make a business out of their large scale approach so it was scheduled to close.

Press-release published on the website of industry marketing firm can be seen here: New Leaf Academy To Remain Open
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
New Leaf Academy To Remain Open
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:46:56 AM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
Aspen has sold New Leaf Academy to the original owners. When Aspen took over they expanded the number of students so the girls became just a number instead of getting the individual attention they got pre-Aspen.
This is hardly good news. Craig Christiansen is a long-time believer in the efficacy of behav mod and has a number of troubling connections in his background. Prior to starting New Leaf Academy, he used to work for J Bar J Youth Services, the parent company of Academy at Sisters. IIRC, there were some allegations of (financial?) improprieties at the time that he left that organization.

Rather, this is just yet more evidence of Aspen Ed getting rid of some its sluggish performers in an attempt to achieve a more financially solvent corporate profile.

Here's that press release:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Breaking News
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 10:07

New Leaf Academy
Bend, OR

New Leaf Academy To Remain Open

Robbi O'Kelley, MSW, LCSW, CADCII
Executive Director
877-820-5050
http://www.newleafacademy.com

June 8, 2011

New Leaf Academy, a therapeutic boarding school for girls 10 - 14 upon admission, is pleased to announce that Craig and Christy Christiansen will be resuming ownership of the program. The Christiansen's were the founders of New Leaf Academy in 1997. They have reached agreement with Aspen Education Group to re-acquire the program as of July 1, 2011.

"We are very excited to once again be a part of the New Leaf Academy community," said Craig Christiansen. "The top quality therapeutic program that has developed in our absence since 2007 has some of the strongest outcomes for young girls in the country. The excellent reputation of the program and the quality of the staff were certainly some of the key factors in our decision to resume leadership of the program going forward."

New Leaf Academy was acquired by Aspen Education Group in 2004. New Leaf remained part of the Aspen group until the announcement in March of 2011 that Aspen intended to close the program.

"We were extremely sad to hear about the plans to close the school," Christiansen said. "We really believe that middle school girls need the New Leaf Academy option to effectively address their specific social and emotional needs."

Christiansen has been involved in youth and family services and education more than 35 years. He has been the founder and director of a number of youth programs, both residential and outpatient, community-based care. His experience in youth advocacy in the northwest and Washington, D.C., has contributed to his passion for the middle school population.

New Leaf Academy began as an emotional growth school for younger girls and expanded its services in 2010 to include a strong individual and family therapy program. Services are provided by master's level, licensed clinicians. New Leaf Academy is one of the only programs in the country that specializes in addressing the needs of the pre-adolescent and immature adolescent girl.

"I am very impressed with the level of therapeutic services and care provided to the students and families at New Leaf," said Christiansen. "Our intention is to retain and enhance those services to continue providing the best quality of care for young girls and their families."

Copyright ©2010, Woodbury Reports, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: New Leaf management buyout
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:21:49 PM »
Here's an old thread about New Leaf Academy. This thread has a mixture of posts about the Oregon location as well as the one in North Carolina, so one does need to read carefully. Apparently these two schools have very different histories as to how they came to be.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments on New Leaf Academy (OR), from LD Resources
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »
Here are some comments left for New Leaf Academy (Oregon) on the LD Resources website, #s 1-20:

New Leaf Academy (Oregon)
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2005

Posted in K-12 Schools

New Leaf Academy
    P.O. Box 6454
    Bend, OR 97708-6454
    541-318-1676
    541-318-1709 (fax)

http://www.newleafacademy.com[/list]

1 Lauren · Posted on 09 Mar 2005 at 12:22 am
      Hi, My name is Lauren. I am a New Leaf Academy graduate of 2004. I came @ age 11, and left right before I turned 13. "NLA" was a great place for me to learn and grow. However, NLA is changing very much and it kind of makes me sad because it used to be owned by different people who kept it small. Now it has kind of turned into a buisness. But...I still know a lot of what it feels like to be there. If you or your child is looking to go there. You can contact me and ask anything. I would love to answer your questions because I have been there...done that...and I hope others can benifit from it, too. My best reguards, Lauren, 13
    2 Emmalee · Posted on 26 Mar 2005 at 2:52 am
      My name is Emmalee, and I attended New Leaf March 17th, 2001 (6 days after my 13th birthday) to June 17th, 2003. I was sent to NLA to help me deal with my issues regarding the abuse I suffered at the hands of my father. I had a great experience there. I have to admit I resented my mother and step-father for sending me there, but my mom continually reminds me now that I have made so many friends and have so many great memories. I really recommend NLA for parents who want their daughters to heal and grow.
      I am currently planning a reunion for all the girls who attended the first six years at the Green Ridge campus (now defunct). It's been wonderful getting back in touch with so many of my NLA sisters. I can't wait to see them in August!
      "we're new leaf girls, we're family..."
    3 Taylor Clarke · Posted on 11 Aug 2005 at 6:28 pm
      My name is Taylor and i am a nla Graduate. I think new leaf is the best thing that has happened to me. I learned how to make real friends and how to accept and love my self. I do reccomend new leaf for parents that want there daughters to be safe. New leaf is a wonderful school. I will never for get my 31 sisters at Rock Masa.
    4 Amanda Davis · Posted on 09 Jan 2006 at 4:32 pm
      Hi. I'm Amanda Davis. I went to NLA for 26 months. It was and will be the greatest 26 months of my life. I made great friends that I keep in contact with. When I get the chance, I want to go and visit. I got great help on personal issues. I am back at home and have been for over a year and life if a lot better than before. The adults there are very supportive and the acidemic program is excellent. I will never forget a single moment while I was there. New Leaf has a near and dear place in my heart and I charish every second of being there.
    5 Caitie De Almeida · Posted on 19 Oct 2006 at 11:57 am
      Hi, I'm Caitie DeAlmeida. I was at NLA with a couple of those listed above, but I have met all of them one way or another. I was there for about thirty months which is generally not a normal amount of time to stay but as they say "however long it takes". I arrived strait out of a wilderness program angry, grudging, but most of all scared and hurt. Now New Leaf helped me heal into the strong, mature person i am today. I have great relationships with my parents, and life long friends with the other NLA allumnae. So if you're a parent looking at this for student reviews- know that it'll be hard in the beginning, they'll be tears and outbursts plus that empty space in your house but trust me, it's way worth it.
    6 Ericka · Posted on 12 Nov 2006 at 12:02 am
      I arrived at New Leaf when I was 13 in February 2004 and graduated when I was 16 in 2006. It was the best experience I've had in my life. I made so many close friends who I still keep in close contact with, I got to know myself really well, and my relationships with friends, family, and myself improved greatly. I would definitely recommend this school if your daughter is struggling behaviorly and/or emotionally in school, at home, or with friends or family.
    7 Cortney Troy · Posted on 16 Nov 2006 at 7:38 pm
      New leaf was the best thing that has happend to me! NLA helped me find who i am. i now and home after trancfering from nla to a nother bording school. new leave is an amazing school. i love you all please email me at [email protected]
    8 Sydney · Posted on 12 Dec 2006 at 12:34 pm
      I arrived at New Lead in 2004 and I graduated in 2006. New Lead really changed my life. I now have a different aspect on life. I am respecful, honest, and am confient with myself. Thanks To New Leaf and my parents I am a happy girl.
    9 Mo · Posted on 01 Jan 2007 at 7:12 pm
      Hi! I went to NLA for a year. I had such a great time there. I really miss counselor Hilary and the headmistress Beverly. They said such sweet things to me and supported me so well. I contacted the girls and my counselor and headmistress after I left. They sent me little notes about wishing me luck. Hilary, if you are reading, tell Kadie I said aloha! One of my most favorite memories is Erin S. commenting me on my hair. I wish all of NLA the best and a very happy new year!
    10 Elizabeth Ramsay or Zilly · Posted on 26 Jan 2007 at 9:42 pm
      Hey,
      I am Elizabeth Ramsay i went to new leaf when i was 14 and left when i was 16. I was there for 23 months but time flew by. I loved it there. Everyone there is so nice and helpful, and i still call back till this day. I am glad i got to have this wouderful chapter in my life be added. It serousisly changed how i think of others and myself. I am happy i went and get to start over fresh!!
    11 TS Waygookin · Posted on 12 Feb 2007 at 5:52 am
      Could we get some actual specifics about the program?

Does it have a level system?

Consquences?

Monitored parental contact?

Come on details people!
    12 Richard · Posted on 12 Feb 2007 at 7:19 am
      TS: You'll need to write or call the school for specifics. This is just a listing.

Come on read TS:

"Please do not use this comment form to ask schools or other institutions or people listed here to get in touch with you. Instead, contact them directly with the contact information listed above."
    13 ashley neal · Posted on 09 Apr 2007 at 1:11 am
      i'm ashley and i went to nla for 23 months.eventhough i was unable to stay and graduate i took so much from this program i can't even begin to describe how much i grew and changed.i faced many obstacles and challenges, but with help and support i was able to overcome them.when i first arrived, i went through sun clan (the first phase).then i moved on to moon clan(the second phase).the most emotional growth usually ocurrs in moon clan.the last phase,star clan,is when i was shortly prepared to face the world bruises and all.as original as this sounds trust me i didn't know how much i had until it was gone and through that i learned gratitude.nla was an amazing place to build on my relationships and take a close look at myself. i would definately recomend this program to any girls that may need extra support to get them on track.one thing the parents/gardians(you)may also find is you also learn a lot about yourself in the process of helping your child.i really did like this program not just for the help i recieved but for the many friends i made.i also couldn't really explain to you how close i was with so many people.i am now glad i know how to have great friends and great relationships.nla deserves much gratitude and thanks for the many lives it changes every day.i surely thank them for everything they gave me.
    14 mo · Posted on 06 Jul 2007 at 2:42 pm
      Hi! Does anyone have Hillary or Beverly's contact info? I was wanting to get in touch with them again. Thanks.
    15 Sanford Shapiro · Posted on 06 Jul 2007 at 11:58 pm
      Mo, you have to write to the school. This isn't the school. This is ldresources
    16 Mo · Posted on 24 Jul 2007 at 6:25 am
      Okay. Thanks Sanford Shapiro!
    17 Sanford Shapiro · Posted on 24 Jul 2007 at 8:54 am
      No problem Mo.
    18 samantha franco · Posted on 21 Nov 2007 at 8:44 pm
      nla has helped me in soooo many ways a i dont no weave probsre to start but u need to seen d your kid thier thie rif they h
    19 Taylor Canino · Posted on 24 Nov 2007 at 8:59 pm
      I had only lasted two months at new leaf academy but i have to tell you it had reaaly helped me a lot my parents saw a big change in me i startd opning up about the way i was hurt and i really recommend this to any parents who need there child to seek mental and phsical help
      Were new leaf girls were family
      i would also like to thank creig and christy for founding this
    20 Ashley Merklin · Posted on 19 Jul 2009 at 4:53 am
      Well, I only lasted 12 months at NLA (I was pulled out) between 2004 and 2005, and while I can't say they were the best times of my life, They did do me some good and I cherish so many of my NLA experiances. For instance, we got to take care of bunnies, go on multiple field trips (to this day, I STILL talk about the white water rafting trip), and the family-feel was genuine and amazing. I loved my NLA sisters and still do. There were some things I definitely didn't like about NLA, but, quite frankly, I know my case was an unusual one and NLA really did do SO MUCH for my fellow sisters and did help me, to some degree. I do reccomend, but, must say, proceed with caution and make absolute sure that this program is right for you.

LD Resources © 2011

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments on New Leaf Academy (OR), from LD Resources, cont.
    « Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »
    Comments on New Leaf Academy (Oregon), continued, #s 21-33:

21 Emmalee · Posted on 04 Nov 2009 at 2:09 pm
      I was reading my post from 2005 and noticed I wrote my dates wrong. I attended from March 17th, 1999 to June 17th, 2001. I was there 27 months and still (10 years later!) don't regret the experiences I had there.
      Reading through these other comments, it is nice to see so many people had similar experiences. I'm truly saddened that Craig and Christy don't still own New Leaf and that Marcie is no longer the headmistress. It was truly a family environment with everyone who attended and worked there, including the teachers Carol, Laura, and Michelle. Even the handyman... Dave! I'm glad that it is still somewhat the same though. Judging by the North Carolina page, those girls haven't been able to have the wonderful experiences the rest of us had.
    22 Katherine Anne Blackstock · Posted on 05 Feb 2010 at 12:57 pm
      I attended Green Ridge campus from May 21,2004-June 15,2006. I loved the experience! I was very quiet and reserved with no motivation. I do have to say, the times were not always easy. It was hard to come out of my shell, but I learned that I needed to "let go" of my perfect fantacies of my dad being the father I wanted and wished he could be. I learned to let others love me, and that I was not my biological mothers child (meaning I wasnt the mistakes she made and I didn't have to follow her path). I made plenty of mistakes that I am not proud of. I have learned that I cannot be perfect and that the mistakes I made made me so much stronger. I highly reccommend NLA
    23 Annie Henwood · Posted on 05 Feb 2010 at 9:32 pm
      I went to NLA Rock Mesa from September 2000 to July 2002. I would not be as successful as I am today if it weren't for the people and the situations of learning at NLA. That place literally saved my life, and I thank all the people who were with me during that time.
    24 Annie Henwood · Posted on 06 Feb 2010 at 4:22 pm
      Although things may be different for people who were there before/after me, these are the TRUE and HONEST Pros & Cons that mattered to me:

Pros:
      -Charm necklaces
      -Small environment
      -sister-like bonding
      -weekend activities
      -field trips
      -school atmosphere (teachers actually care about your learning)
      -staff is GOOD at what they do or they go away very quickly
      -almost never bored
      -Contrary to popular belief, the supervision was NOT overwhelming
      -bunnies!!!
      -so so so so SOOOOO much more that I just cannot remember all at once.

Cons:
      -may be life-threatening if threats are not reported
      -supervision was not strict enough when I was there
      -types of problems kids have should have a "too-extreme" mark where those kids who would be dangerous (as in murderous) to others should probably go to a more restricted school.
      -food is poor 'cause we as kids usually made it...
      -Apparently many of the graduates do not stay clean emotionally and behaviorally for very long...
      -probably more things, but they're probably not all that important since I cannot even think of them...

I went to NLA Rock Mesa from 2000-2002, so I'm sure things have changed. However, I recommend parents and relatives look at the facts and data with more acceptance than a bunch of biased opinions from people who failed the process (not necessarily failed the school).

There are many grown up girls who succeeded in changing for the better thanks to NLA. I still strongly believe it's worth the risk.

One really important point to make is this: NLA and all the schools like it are few. This whole therapuetic boarding school for young girls does not have a long history. Experiments are necessary to find the right way to do things. That's what many MANY professionals spend their lives working on. Finding the right way to deal with troubled children. Nothing is perfect. Not even close. We try and fail, but that shouldn't stop us from trying again. NLA may fail sometimes, but that doesn't mean they should just stop. They keep going, and every now and then there are some success stories that make it all worth it.
    25 mother/wife · Posted on 22 Apr 2010 at 3:58 pm
      New Leaf Academy was the worst experience of my life and although I have forgiven, I will never forget. I am a wife and a mother of two, and nothing of who I am has anything to do with anyone but myself. I never needed distance, I needed love. I never needed therapy, I needed understanding. I have a happy, healthy family life, social life, and personal life. If you have a disrespectful, stubborn, hyper teenager, welcome to the club. Be a parent, grow with your children, and everything will turn out just fine. Sending them away will only make them resent you; ask my mom, she thinks about me every day and I don't think about her once. As a mother, I am disgusted by anyone who can throw away their child and act as though "life changes" are the only way they can live in society. I am amazing because I chose to be, not because someone medicated me to be.
    26 Ash C. · Posted on 17 Nov 2010 at 12:40 pm
      Hello. My name is Ashley Carroll, and I attended New Leaf Academy Green Ridge in Bend, Oregon from June 2004-December 2006. I was in a difficult place emotionally. Arriving as a 12 year old, I acted emotionally on a level of a 6 year old. Over my 30 month stay, I faced the issues of my past...and began to understand the world around me. It helped me realize everything I was doing could always be done better, and gave me the tools to "cope" with the hard life in the "real, unsheltered world". The tools I learned 4+ years ago have stuck with me. Occasionally, I revisit the "journals, notes, etc", and as technology has advanced, I have began to use Facebook as a way to stay in touch with my NLA sisters. NLA was a great place, and I would suggest it to anybody. I'm proud to say I went there, and I learned the academic, emotional, and physical skills they provided me with to better my life. I would suggest NLA as a boarding school, and I am grateful that I had the opportunity that most out there haven't had. It may be though in the beginning, (Crying, tearful phone calls home, manipulation into saying the place sucks, acting out, being defiant) BUT as the walls come down, your daughter will learn more successful ways to adapt to life, to make friends, and more important; how to live their life in the best way they can! Now, 4+ years after my graduation, I am in college, and doing better than ever. I have more friends, healthier relationships, and living smarter. I have matured into a young woman that every girl should be able to transition to, but NLA most certainly aided in helping me fill the gap!
    27 Dea Kreuter · Posted on 06 Jan 2011 at 8:12 pm
      I understantand the school will not allow them to talk to parents freely and also they are not allowed to talk to each other unless an older person is present.
    28 Lisa Henderson · Posted on 11 Jan 2011 at 4:23 pm
      They do not allow the children to call freely as they seem to indicate prior to enrollment. They have recently been purchased by Aspen Education Group, which has had many deaths and confirmed abuses at their facilities. Aspen closed the New Leaf in North Carolina because it was no longer "profitable" relocating all of their detainees to other Aspen owned facilities. BEWARE of ALL Aspen owned programs. NLA is not what it used to be.
    29 Melissa Murphy · Posted on 02 Apr 2011 at 11:12 am
      I went to New Leaf sometime in early 2000, with emotional problems and ADHD. I believe I was at the Rock Mesa location, I never did get used to the different location names. I remember they were planning to build a soccer field. I am commenting here because I want parents to know that NLA is NOT right for every child. I will NEVER forget the way I was treated there. I was not a girl with a violent history, drug use or stealing. I was emotional, moody and prone to verbal outbursts and antagonistic, but never violent. I was treated as if I had been. I was accused of stealing, no matter how many times I tried to insist that the baskets were next to each other. I was called a terrorist during an activity that asked for a sad picture, I drew Columbine as it was something that effected me personally. At this point I was not allowed to read anything that they didn't pick out for me, I was not allowed to write stories. At all. I was isolated from the girls and they became distrusting of me, with no attempts by counselors to clear my name of what had been said or ease the tension. I was pulled out of the program, but the absolute isolation I had gone through severely effected the way I interacted with people. Even now, at 23 I struggle with self worth and trust of authority.

The GOOD aspects of NLA-
      There were positives. We had to do kickboxing and plenty of physical activity, and while it wasn't strict at NLA I did learn to structure my day better. Making my bed, cooking my own meals and keeping fit were important.

Friendship: I was not allowed to talk to the girls once I left, I understand that. But I won't forget the friends I made either. Annie, Ashley Class and Chloe.

Creative: I don't know if this has changed but one counselor would have art time, teaching us how to draw simple but fun animals. The schooling was a little wobbly because of the grade mix but they did made it fun.

Reward System: Necklace with charms. It really did make me proud to earn a new charm. I felt I was growing, it was simple but cute. When I attended they also gave you a rabbit at a certain level, I don't know if they do that anymore but it was a great empathy builder. You learned to care and be responsible for another living thing, an excellent way to form bonds.

I'll end it with this. NLA has been purchased, and may not be the same as when I attended but if you are a parent with an emotional child or in need a place, think CAREFULLY before you place them here.
    30 Sanford · Posted on 02 Apr 2011 at 11:32 am
      Melissa,
      Thanks for writing in and covering the negatives and positives as you saw them as a student.

New Leaf Academy as you said, was bought by a corporate group and just recently, this group (AEG) announced a restructuring of its programs. As part of that restructuring,
    New Leaf Academy will be closing.[/list]
    31 Lina · Posted on 02 Jun 2011 at 9:41 am
      I don't recommend NLA at all. Like the mother/wife, who I think I may know, said earlier to grow with your children. Don't throw them away. I do think they will resent you later.

There are other alternatives then sending them to a therapeutic boarding school for over 2 years. Even if they are acting out tremendously, I believe there should be therapy for the whole family because I believe the child is upset about what is happening in their home life.

It's not always the kid's fault as to why they are misbehaving. Often, it is the misguidance of the parents.
    32 Sanford · Posted on 04 Jun 2011 at 7:59 am
      Lina, a few responses to your comment.

First, thanks for writing in. This is such an important and emotionally charged area.

Second, to your points about New Leaf in Oregon. The school is closing.

Next: You said, "Don't throw them away. I do think they will resent you later." That's pretty harsh and almost entirely inaccurate characterization of parents who are so concerned about their children that they make very difficult decisions about enrolling their child into a therapeutic school or program. In most cases that I've experienced, parents who make these decisions have been counseled from various personal and professional angles and have made these choices at great personal cost.

You're right about the reality that teens who may be out of control to some degree or engaged in self destructive behaviors, may be acting out family drama, and could be reacting to less than ideal or even "bad" parenting. However, when the right program is matched with the right kid and the right family, great healing can occur for the entire family. Whether or not an entire family needs counseling (often the case), if a child is spiraling down, and other less intensive therapies have not stopped the internal and external chaos, sometimes an out of home placement is necessary.

I'm sure there are times when a therapeutic placement is made too soon and for the wrong reasons. I am sometimes in a position, as such a therapeutic placement consultant, where I counsel the family towards a less extreme and community-based approach. It's not a one size fits all response. Particularly when a student who is very troubled emotionally and behaviorally disregulated, also has learning disabilities, the choices made by parents, therapists and educational consultants must include a high level of understanding of where the LD piece fits in.
    33 Dore Frances, PhD · Posted on 04 Jun 2011 at 5:37 pm
      I have been assisting families for almost 20 years and I have never run across a family that is "throwing their child away." It is never an easy decision to look for outside help. I know from first hand experience how gut wrenching a decision this is. When children are spinning out of control, many times parents are not equipped to assist in the right way with the amount of time that is left before they turn 18 and can refuse help. I make sure every parent I assist has lots of choices as well as information and that I have on-site first hand information to provide them as well. This is about sending the "child to get help" and not about "sending them away." Kids need every opportunity available as do parents to make what is not working, working. Each child and family is special, and has their own unique needs. That is why there is a variety of programs. One size does not fit all.

LD Resources © 2011

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Re: Comments on New Leaf Academy (OR), from LD Resources
    « Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »
    I have to say, I found it noteworthy just how many folks whose perspective seems to be right in sync with that of an ed con ... saw fit to post comments on that LD Resources site: "Richard," Sanford Shapiro, Dore Frances.

I needn't have pondered too laboriously.

I'm assuming, of course, that "Richard" is none other than Richard Wanderman, who originally founded the site. According to Deborah, Richard Wanderman is "an educational consultant that specializes in LD but hawks Aspen programs." In fact, SUWS is one of the "resources" listed elsewhere on that site.

Sanford Shapiro, who currently administrates the LD Resources site, having taken over from Richard, has worked variously as a teacher, administrator and ed con, mostly in "alternative" schools ranging from LD-focused to CEDU (Boulder Creek Academy).

Dore Frances, who already has a thread devoted to her here, is a former program parent turned ed con.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 12:02:48 AM »
    it is also worth remembering that the "orginial owners' dont have an especially clean history
    http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/ ... 133634.php

BEND, Ore. -- A Central Oregon boarding school that frequently ran into trouble with state officials will close its doors for good, according to a report in The Bend Bulletin.

The president of Crater Lake School, which is on a Sprague River ranch in rural Klamath County, has informed state officials and former employees that she will not attempt to renew the facility's boarding school license, which expires at the end of the month.

"It looks like they are throwing in the towel," said Donna Keddy, manager of the residential treatment and licensing unit in the Department of Human Services. "They are voluntarily not going to reopen and that is great news."

The school has been closed since August and the state in October refused a higher-level license that would allow it to become a residential treatment center for severely impaired teenagers.

It marks the second closure of a youth facility for president Bobbi Christensen, who lives in Seattle.

In 1991, Christensen -- known at the time as Bobbi Trott -- agreed to close a California camp that experienced a rash of oversight problems, including the deaths of three teens and four would-be rescuers in an icy Sierra Nevada lake.

In that same legal settlement, she agreed to never operate a similar facility again.

Yet she opened the Crater Lake School in 1997 along with her now deceased-husband.

In the years since Crater Lake School opened, police and state regulators had recurring concerns, state documents dating back to 1998 show. Incidents included chronic runaways, mishandling of prescription drugs, food and heating fuel shortages, harsh discipline and a sex-related conviction of a staff member.

In August, a 17-year-old boy who was a student at the school made an eight-mile trip across Puget Sound in a kayak. He had been camping with other Crater Lake School students at Blake Island and slipped away in the middle of the night. He was found unharmed.

Last month The Bulletin and KATU-TV in Portland published a report on the school and Christensen. At that time, Christensen said she intended to reopen the facility as an academic-only boarding school.

After learning then about problems at the school and the history of its operator, Gov. Ted Kulongoski said people should not be allowed to run ventures in Oregon if they cannot do so in another state.

Keddy said her agency will re-evaluate the application process for residential programs in the wake of the Crater Lake revelations. In particular, potential operators may need to attest that they haven't been forced to give up a license in the past.

In a previous interview, Christensen said her legal settlement was binding only in California.

On another front, the Oregon Attorney General's Office is investigating the program because of allegations of misleading marketing and failure to make refunds. A proposed settlement that would change how the school is promoted has been sent to Christensen, but it has not yet been returned, said spokesman Kevin Neely.

Doris Hester, a former employee of Crater Lake School, said word of the permanent closure made for a gloomy holiday in Sprague River, an unincorporated community about three hours south of Bend. She said the job was the most rewarding she's ever had -- and provided much-needed paychecks for more than a dozen people.

Many parents say the Crater Lake program helped their petulant children, while others have complained about lack of structure and supervision.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/ ... z1PVDxoiT8
    n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
      • Secret Prisons for Teens
    « Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 03:23:16 AM »
    New Leaf was and is going to be operated by Craig and Christy Christiansen.

Crater Lake and Camp O'Neal was operated by Bobbi Christensen/Trott

I don't think that they are related.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 11:27:36 AM »
    I have to agree with Oscar here. Bobbi Trott's (now deceased) husband was Tim Christensen.

Perhaps most convincing, however, is the fact that in March of 1991, when Bobbi Trott and Tim Christensen were trying to sell Camp O'Neal (in the Eastern Sierra, Mono County, Calif.) as per stipulations associated with the permanent revocation of that facility's license, Craig Christiansen had already been working in central Oregon for some time as Director of J-Bar-J Youth Services at J-Bar-J Boys Ranch, as well as being a member of the State Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee and member of the State Children & Youth Services Commission.