Author Topic: Jason Dunbar, R.I.P., death on Upper Yosemite Fall trail  (Read 5860 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Jason Dunbar, R.I.P., death on Upper Yosemite Fall trail
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:12:17 AM »
I believe Jason Dunbar graduated from Hyde-Bath in 1995.

The earlier reports describing this tragic incident note his name as "James."

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

MyMotherLode.com

Two Die In Yosemite

May 16, 2011    04:33 pm
B.J. Hansen, MML News Director

Yosemite, CA -- Two hikers died last week from separate incidents at Yosemite National Park.

Kent Scott Butler, a professor at the University of Texas, died Friday after slipping on a rock slab on the Mist Trail, a route that was wet because of melting snow. Butler reportedly fell into the Merced River, became lodged in rocks and drowned.

Park officials report that James Dunbar also died Friday after he tripped and fell while on the steep Upper Yosemite Fall trail. Dunbar, a Berkeley resident, sustained a fatal head injury.

Yosemite Ranger Scott Gediman says the incidents are the first and second accidental fatalities in the park this year.

Written by BJ Hansen

© Copyright 2000-2011 Clarke Broadcasting Corporation.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Two Die In Yosemite"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 12:29:44 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "Two Die In Yosemite" (by B.J. Hansen; May 16, 2011; MML News)

Ricky · 05/16/2011 16:55:25
    Keep it safe out there folks!
Coiler · 05/17/2011 05:38:11
    After 4 years on the search and rescue team in Yosemite, I've learned that it's either a sprained ankle or death out there on the trails. It's a fine line, and you've got to keep your head on straight; be well hydrated, bring food and of course, allow yourself time to enjoy your surroundings. My condolences to the families.
badger · 05/17/2011 16:22:21
    this is so sad come up here to enjoy the views and have this happen my pray's are with thier families.

© Copyright 2000-2011 Clarke Broadcasting Corporation.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Berkeley man found dead in Yosemite National Park
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 02:04:07 PM »
The Daily Californian

Berkeley man found dead in Yosemite National Park

By Katie Nelson · Daily Cal Senior Staff Writer
Date Added Tuesday, May 17, 2011 | 5:41 pm
Last Updated Thursday, May 19, 2011 | 4:11 pm

Correction Appended

Berkeley resident James Dunbar was found dead Friday afternoon by Yosemite National Park rangers who were attempting to recover the body of another man who had drowned in the Merced River, which runs through the southern part of the park and the Yosemite Valley.

According to major media outlets, the body of Dunbar, 35, was discovered as rescuers were retrieving the body of Kent Butler, associate dean for research and operations in the School of Architecture at the University of Texas at Austin, who had slipped and became lodged in rocks in the river and drowned. It was reported that though others had witnessed his fall, none were able to rescue Butler before he was swept off by the current and stuck in the rocks.

Kari Cobb, a Yosemite park spokesperson and ranger, said Dunbar was apparently running down the Upper Yosemite Falls trail when he tripped and hit his head on a rock and lost consciousness. Though park rangers arrived and attempted to revive him, Dunbar was later pronounced dead at the scene.

On average, Cobb said the park has about 15 deaths per year. She said some of those deaths are a result of natural causes, such as heart attacks, while others are the result of hikers and climbers who accidentally fall or slip to their deaths.

Cobb said while park rangers do what they can to remind people of the dangers of hiking and climbing in the park — such as telling people to bring water or to watch their step on slippery slopes after a wet spring — it is ultimately up to the park visitor to remain vigilant and make sure they do not put themselves in danger.

"Yosemite is obviously a wilderness area. We have over 800 miles of trails that people can hike, and we do the most that we can to remind people of the dangers," she said. "We don't have rangers on every single trail, and it is ultimately the responsibility of the park visitor to take the proper precautions."

Tags: JAMES DUNBAR, YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK

Correction: Thursday, May 19, 2011
A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that James Dunbar was 35. In fact, he was 34.
The Daily Californian regrets the error.

Katie Nelson is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected].

Copyright © 2010 The Daily Californian.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Yosemite hiker died of heart attack, not fall
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »
Looks like it was a sudden heart attack ... at age 34. Wow. Such a quick and tragic end. His mom has a philosophical piece of insight...

The San Franscisco Chronicle

Yosemite hiker died of heart attack, not fall

Peter Fimrite, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, May 19, 2011

(05-18) 16:57 PDT San Francisco --

It was a sudden heart attack and not an accidental fall that killed a popular San Francisco sous chef on a trail below Yosemite Falls last week, park officials and his family said Wednesday.

Jason Dunbar, 34, of Berkeley, was hiking down with family and friends from the landmark waterfall in Yosemite National Park on Friday when he suddenly fell to his knees and collapsed on the trail. His fiancee, Alison Bagby, and at least one other hiker spent more than a half hour trying to revive him before emergency crews arrived. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Initial reports suggested that Mr. Dunbar might have tripped and hit his head on a rock, but an autopsy released Wednesday determined the cause of death was a blood clot in his coronary artery, said his mother, Marjorie Dunbar.

Mr. Dunbar, who was born in Walnut Creek and raised in Lafayette, lived with Bagby in Berkeley. He was the sous chef at San Francisco's Millennium Restaurant, where she is the manager.

It was the second death in the park that day. University of Texas Professor Kent Butler, 60, drowned that morning after he slipped and fell into the raging Merced River, prompting park officials to warn visitors about the high water and dangerous trails.

Mr. Dunbar's death was particularly shocking because he was a young, fit, smart and cautious veteran of Yosemite trails, according to those who knew him.

"He was an experienced rock climber, boulderer, hiker and a strong, athletic, coordinated young man," said his mother.

She said the family had been going to Yosemite since he was in the second or third grade, and he had been climbing regularly in Yosemite since he was a junior in high school. He spent a summer in his early 20s scaling all the top rock-climbing peaks from Montana to Maine, she said.

"Yosemite was his favorite place in the whole world," his mother said. "That's the grace of this. He died in the place he loved."

Besides his mother and fiancee, he is survived by his father, David Dunbar of Lafayette; sister Karrin Dunbar of Sacramento; brothers Brad Dunbar of Mill Valley and Drew Dunbar of Walnut Creek; and two nephews.

A memorial celebration is scheduled at 2 p.m. May 27 at the Lafayette Orinda Presbyterian Church, 49 Knox Drive, in Lafayette.

This article appeared on page C - 3 of the San Francisco Chronicle

© 2011 Hearst Communications Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Hiker who died in Yosemite National Park suffered heart atta
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »
Daily Journal

Hiker who died in Yosemite National Park suffered heart attack, not accidental fall

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First Posted: May 19, 2011 - 8:44 am · Last Updated: May 19, 2011 - 8:44 am

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. — The family of a Berkeley man who died while hiking in Yosemite National Park says he suffered a heart attack and not an accidental fall.

Marjorie Dunbar, the mother of 34-year-old Jason Dunbar, tells the San Francisco Chronicle autopsy results determined the cause of her son's death to be a blood clot in his coronary artery.

Earlier reports suggested Dunbar suffered a head injury after tripping and falling on Friday while running down the steep Upper Yosemite Fall trail.

Family members say he in fact collapsed and could not be revived.

Marjorie Dunbar says her son, a sous chef in San Francisco, was athletic and had been climbing in Yosemite since he was in high school.

Dunbar's death was the second in the park on Friday. Kent Butler of Austin, Texas drowned after slipping and falling into the Merced River.

___

Information from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle

All content copyright ©2011 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
On SuperTopo: "Rest in peace Jason Dunbar"
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:51:17 AM »
There's a thread devoted to Jason on a forum associated with the rock climbing website SuperTopo.com. The thread includes a memorial letter sent out by Millennium, the restaurant at which Jason worked as sous chef...

Rest in peace Jason Dunbar

all in jim · Topic Author's Original Post - May 19, 2011 - 02:48pm PT
    So sudden and hard to believe. Jason was always pure good vibes at Indian Rock and the boulders around the Bay. The news is that he had a sudden heart attack while hiking in Yosemite.

You will be missed, Jason!

Credit: all in jim

Credit: all in jim[/list]
locker · May 19, 2011 - 02:52pm PT
    Sad...

Sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Jason Dunbar...
couchmaster · May 19, 2011 - 02:53pm PT
    Never a good thing to see anyone check out early, but how does a kid who look like that have a heart attack?
Randisi · May 19, 2011 - 02:53pm PT
    Damn. He looks young.

How old was he?
all in jim · Topic Author's Reply - May 19, 2011 - 02:56pm PT
    Jason was 34, I believe. He worked as sous chef at Millenium in sf, he was a very strong boulderer, and a really sweet person.

The pictures were taken 4 or 5 years ago.
Ghost · May 19, 2011 - 03:05pm PT
    It should be us old guys going out with heart attacks, not someone like who should have most of his life still ahead.

Condolences to family and friends.
seth kovar · May 19, 2011 - 03:08pm PT
    So Sad... RIP...
JEleazarian · May 19, 2011 - 03:11pm PT
    I have a friend with the same name, so when I saw the article about Jason's death yesterday, I called my friend's brother to make sure he was OK. I guess the good news for my family was bad news for the climbing community.

Very sorry to hear the news. I wish him Godspeed, and send my condolences and prayers for peace and healing to his family and friends.

John
divad · May 19, 2011 - 03:11pm PT
    Sadly, sometimes the first sign of heart trouble in a young person is sudden death.
Melissa · May 19, 2011 - 03:13pm PT
    It's always a shock and sad to see someone so young have something bad happen to them someplace that I love.

But I was doubly saddened to see that he was the sous chef at Millenium as well. Many special meals in celebrations of the milestones in our lives and many more just celebrating good food and friends were probably designed by him and/or cooked under his guidance. As a wedding gift were given a Millennium gift certificate from some Seattle friends who had once gone there with us, and I had planned to use it at the special winemaker dinner there on Tuesday. But, we got too busy, and it didn't happen. I can only imagine how hard it was for everyone there to keep it together and persevere after such a loss. My very sincere condolences to his family, friends, and coworkers.
Crimpergirl · May 19, 2011 - 03:14pm PT
    Tragic. Condolences to his family and friends.
Gene · May 19, 2011 - 03:16pm PT
    Way too young. RIP.
Tami · May 19, 2011 - 03:17pm PT
    Heart attack? Or some other cardiac issue? WAAAAY too young to have that sort of thing. Very sorry to hear about this young man's death. Best wishes to his family & friends. R I P Jason.

Look after your health ! Even if you think you're really healthy!!!

( spoken as someone who is apparently in excellent health & has suffered a non CAD heart attack )
Hardman Knott · May 19, 2011 - 03:26pm PT
    I knew Jason from Indian / Mortar Rock in Berkeley and shared many pints with him at The Toronado in Lower Haight when he would pop in after work (i think his girlfriend lived in the hood at the time). Although I hadn't seen Jason in a couple years, I vividly remember his low-key, charming personality and positive attitude. He will be missed! RIP, Jason.
KP Ariza · May 19, 2011 - 03:26pm PT
    I haven't see Jason for about five years but what I see when I look at him in my mind is a big Happy smile on his face. I rememember him as a super friendly positive dude. Really f*#king big bummer.
ron gomez · May 19, 2011 - 03:28pm PT
    Terrible news. Prayers and thoughts to his family and friends.
    Peace
bluering · May 19, 2011 - 03:40pm PT
    How sad. I didn't know him, but he sounds like a nice guy from what you all have said of him.

Rest in peace, Jason. God bless.
all in jim · Topic Author's Reply - May 19, 2011 - 03:50pm PT
    More information. unbelievably sad and unexpected.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1JHV9E.DTL[/list]
neebee · May 19, 2011 - 03:59pm PT
    hey there say, ... very sad...

as the mom of such-aged young folks, i feel very sad for his parent-folks, as well... :(

very sad for his death...
    my condolences for his family and loved ones...
Levy · May 19, 2011 - 04:30pm PT
    It is always so sad to see such a young person in their prime dying suddenly. A heart attack? Perhaps he had a congenital defect that had never been diagnosed. So very sad indeed. He seems like he was well liked by many.

My condolences to his family & friends.
survival · May 19, 2011 - 05:06pm PT
    Very Sad. RIP Jason.

[/list]
wildone · May 19, 2011 - 05:50pm PT
    Runaway Jim, Ben Montoya here. Blown away. I just was hanging out with him a couple weeks ago! Damn. I always enjoyed my time with J. Does Andy know?
AndyO · May 19, 2011 - 06:00pm PT
    Jason was a good dude, with a great sense of humor. Quick to bust your balls, but could take it as well as he could dish it out. I always looked forward to running into him and his crew when I was back in the Bay Area ... can't really think of the LaMorinda boys without him.

One Love, homie.
    Gangster Andy*

*a name Jason bestowed upon me during one particularly rawkus evening at Ben and Nick's, complete with insinuations and allegations... but all in good fun.
Ron Anderson · May 19, 2011 - 07:19pm PT
    My CONDOLENCES to freinds and family, far to young to go....
flakyfoont · May 19, 2011 - 09:30pm PT
    always sad to hear of such a young person passing away far too soon. RIP
    Jason.
Double D · May 19, 2011 - 09:45pm PT
    My condolences to his friends and family. A sobering reminder of how precious life is here on this little ball.
sweendog · May 19, 2011 - 10:14pm PT
    Never thought I'd do more than lurk on supertaco...
    WTF!!! Jay was a good dude.
    I remember gettin' the 'ol local sandbag circuit @ Indian rock.
    I shot off the bubble?...landed FLAT in the bark & looked up to J sittin' down with the one arm spot.
    CLASSIC!!!
    I regret not getting in touch with you man...I was just planning on catchin' up @ the wedding.
    Ben, I left T-ranch a message.
    R.I.P. bro.
Randisi · May 19, 2011 - 10:17pm PT
    "Jason Dunbar, 34, of Berkeley, was hiking down with family and friends from the landmark waterfall in Yosemite National Park on Friday when he suddenly fell to his knees and collapsed on the trail. His fiancee, Alison Bagby..."

Family, friends, fiancee, beautiful surroundings...

Few of us will be so lucky when it comes to be our time.[/list]
    drljefe · May 19, 2011 - 10:18pm PT
      Sad.

He'll shine on.

RIP
    nita · May 19, 2011 - 10:49pm PT
      So young )-: ... very sad......Condolences to his family and friends.
    tahoecrimper · May 19, 2011 - 11:38pm PT
      dang, knew his family and perhaps him from church years ago. sad sad news. RIP and condolences to the family
    PAUL SOUZA · May 20, 2011 - 12:00am PT
      Sad :(

I had an uncle that died from a heart attack at age 32. It runs on both sides of my family. I know how I'm going to go. :/
    wildone · May 20, 2011 - 08:26am PT
      Yeah, Sqweege, I was wondering why he wasn't at the wedding. He was up there for that reason, I'm sure.
    bob · May 20, 2011 - 09:43am PT
      Man I shared a couple of really memorable times with Jason in places we both loved a lot. Sad to hear you're gone. Ev and I will do good towards you on our next mission. Peace brother.
      Bob J.
    Gunkie · May 20, 2011 - 10:13am PT
      Very, very sad to have a young person die from something like this. I had a friend/dorm-mate in college who died during a pick-up basketball game from a previously unknown heart defect. Pure tragedy for friends and family.
    msiddens · May 20, 2011 - 02:42pm PT
      ugh so sad, RIP. Way too young.
    Melissa · May 20, 2011 - 03:22pm PT
      I received this memorial in an e-mail from Millenium. There are many great pictures included, but they won't copy over here, so shoot me an e-mail if you'd like me to forward the orginal e-mail to you.

In Memory of Jason Dunbar

Millennium's Sous Chef, Jason Dunbar, spent his last day in Yosemite on Friday, his favorite place outside of the kitchen, with people he loved, people who loved him. He and Eric Tucker created the menu together for the past five years and he had been with Millennium since February of 2004.

Jason left us too soon, and he will be missed deeply by everyone who knew him. He was honest and full of life-- someone who believed that if he was going to do something, it was going to be done right and with all of his endless energy and integrity. He was a wonderful teacher, an avid reader and someone who was always true to himself and to those around him.

He was extremely talented and so passionate about and dedicated to feeding people delicious food that did not do harm in its making.

He loved laughing and making people laugh, and he went out of his way every day to make this day better than the one before. He has influenced so many, and so much, and his spirit will live always in the people who love him, in our enduring memories, in our constant gratitude--in us forever.

Jason's memorial service will be held on Friday, May 27th at 2:00pm. It will be at Lafayette Orinda Presbyterian Church, 49 Knox Dr., Lafayette. There will be a reception at the church after the service.

Jason was a devoted climber for twenty years-his love for climbing survives him and celebrates him with your considered contribution to The Access Fund, an organization dedicated to protecting the environment at America's rock climbing sites.
    http://www.accessfund.org/jasondunbar

We love you Jason,
    Eric, Alison & Your Millennium Family[/list]

Copyright © 2011 SuperTopo LLC

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Memorial May 27 in Lafayette for Jason Dunbar, sous chef...
    « Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »
    Contra Costa Times

Memorial May 27 in Lafayette for Jason Dunbar, sous chef who died while hiking in Yosemite

By Sam Richards · Contra Costa Times
    Posted: 05/20/2011 03:48:47 PM PDT
    Updated: 05/20/2011 04:42:30 PM PDT

Jason Dunbar

LAFAYETTE -- A memorial service for Jason Dunbar, who died May 13 while hiking in Yosemite National Park, will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, May 27 at Lafayette Orinda Presbyterian Church, 49 Knox Drive, in Lafayette.

Dunbar, who was the sous chef at the well-known Millennium Restaurant San Francisco, died of a coronary blood clot while in Yosemite, family members said. He was only 34.

Dunbar attended Acalanes High School in Lafayette from 1991 to 1993, and later graduated from Hyde School in Bath, Maine in 1995. He then attended the University of Montana.

Though his interest in hiking took off when he was at UM and the mountains surrounding Missoula, the seeds for his love of the outdoors were planted long before that, his father David Dunbar said.

Jason Dunbar started going to Yosemite as a second-grader with the Lafayette Indian Guides, and later with the Cub Scouts. He and his family returned to Yosemite each year with several of these Lafayette Scouting families for several days of camping and hiking in May, David Dunbar said.

"Jason was a very experienced rock climber, both rope climbing and bouldering," his father said. "He was usually in Yosemite every month on a climbing trip. He once took several weeks to travel from Montana to Maine, rock-climbing in the published sites and parks along the way."

Culinary arts was a minor interest at an early age for Jason, his father said, but not yet a passion. He discovered his real passion for culinary arts while working a summer job at La Bocca Fina, a Hayward-based wedding catering company, his father said.

Jason Dunbar had worked at Millennium since 2004, helping create the menu at this upscale vegan restaurant on Geary Boulevard.

As a memorial, family members say they support donations to The Access Fund, an organization dedicated to protecting the environment at America's rock climbing sites. Go to http://www.accessfund.org/jasondunbar.

© Bay Area News Group

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    On Albion Cooks: "In Memory of Jason Dunbar"
    « Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 12:41:23 AM »
    Here's an entry on the vegetarian food blog Albion Cooks. Some of the material appears to be more or less identical to that of Millennium's above memorial letter, but, since the author of this blog apparently spends a great deal of time there taking cooking classes, it's possible that she may have had a hand in the crafting of said letter...

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Millennium's Sous Chef, Jason Dunbar, spent his last day in Yosemite on Friday May 13th, his favorite place outside of the kitchen, with people he loved, people who loved him. He and Eric Tucker created the menu together for the past five years and he had been with Millennium since February of 2004.

Although I never got to know Jason, I always had the sense that he was a special person. He emanated presence: serene, grounded, but always had a mischievous twinkle in his eye! He would come in the last hour of my many cooking classes at the restaurant, cast a watchful eye on the state of the upstairs kitchen (my classmates and I regularly trashed it), and head downstairs to start prepping for the Sunday dinner service. I'd often go downstairs for some final ingredients and find Jason and the staff laughing and joking around as they worked. To me, he represented the joy of a self-actualized life and an easy connectedness with others.

Millennium, to me, is so much more that a restaurant and a place to learn about vegan cooking. There is such a strong sense of family there, and even though I may be a cousin, twice-removed, I have always felt welcomed into that family with open arms. I've met so many wonderful people who have become good friends at Millennium cooking classes. Jason was a big part of that family.

Jason emulated qualities I totally respect: he was extremely talented, passionate about and dedicated to feeding people delicious food that did not do harm in its making.

Jason left us too soon, and he will be missed deeply by everyone who knew him.

I invite you to take a moment to to send healing thoughts to Alison, his life-partner, his parents, family, and friends, Eric and his extended Millennium family.

posted by Catherine at 8:20 PM

--------------

Comments left for the above blog entry, "In Memory of Jason Dunbar":

Anonymous said... 10:47 PM
      Thank You!
      Eric
    Christine said... 8:33 PM
      My thoughts are with you, Catherine. I'm so sorry for your and his family's loss.

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Memorial for Bay Area Climbing Fixture Jason Dunbar
    « Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 10:08:07 PM »
    And... here's a news/blog entry associated with the website of the company Touchstone Climbing, which operates six indoor rock climbing gyms in the greater San Francisco Bay Area:

Sunday, May 22, 2011
    Memorial for Bay Area Climbing Fixture Jason Dunbar

The Touchstone community lost a valued member last week. Jason Dunbar, a 34 year old climber of twenty years and a fixture in the bay area climbing community, suffered a heart attack while hiking on the trails of Yosemite.

A passionate and talented cook, Jason worked as a Sous Chef at Millennium Restaurant in SF, where he created the menu along with Eric Tucker. The gourmet vegetarian restaurant feeds people delicious food that keeps the environment in mind in the making. "He was honest and full of life—someone who believed that if he was going to do something, it was going to be done right and with all of his endless energy and integrity," said Allison Bagby.

Jason loved Yosemite and spent a significant amount of time in the valley, where once a week for the past three years he took day trips to boulder or to hike looking for new rocks on rainy days.

Jason's memorial service will be held on Friday, May 27th at 2PM at Lafayette Orinda Presbyterian Church, 49 Knox Dr., Lafayette.

In lieu of flowers, Jason's family and friends are asking you to contribution to The Access Fund; an organization dedicated to protecting the environment at America's rock climbing sites.You can make a memorial donation to Jason's Access Fund Site

Labels: Access Fund, Jason Dunbar, Millenium Restaurant

Comment left for the above blog entry:

As the father of Jason's fiance, Alison Bagby, I was very interested in ascertaining who this young man with long hair and a passion for making wonderful meals and climbing big rocks actually was. I was happy to find in Jason a young man who was intelligent, talented, and full of integrity. I also came to be very impressed with his commitment to living life as fully as possible while honoring the marvels of nature in mountains, foreses, and big rocks. We all lost a very special young man that day in Yosemite. Alison and Jason's wonderful family will miss him most, but all of us who had the privilege of knowing Jason will miss him always. Doug Bagby

# posted by  dougbagby : 1:10 PM

Copyright © Touchstone Climbing, Inc.

Offline Wh??ter

• View Profile
    Re: Jason Dunbar, R.I.P., death on Upper Yosemite Fall trail
    « Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »
    People die all the time, Ursus.  I guy I went to highschool with just dies the other day.  I didn't see anybody trying to blame it on his school though.  This is where you people go wrong all the time.  Only extremists like the posters of Fornits could draw a straight line between a school somebody went to as a kid and their death as an adult.  This is why your collective credibility is so low.  I don't think anyone is buying it, Ursus.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Re: Jason Dunbar, R.I.P., death on Upper Yosemite Fall trail
    « Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »
    Quote from: "Wh??ter"
    People die all the time, Ursus.  I guy I went to highschool with just dies the other day.  I didn't see anybody trying to blame it on his school though.  This is where you people go wrong all the time.  Only extremists like the posters of Fornits could draw a straight line between a school somebody went to as a kid and their death as an adult.  This is why your collective credibility is so low.  I don't think anyone is buying it, Ursus.
    Geezzz. Kinda jumping to conclusions here, "Wh??ter," doncha think? Where is the "straight line" I drew, or even implied?

The guy went to Hyde. This is a Hyde forum. No disrespect intended, but... that should more than sufficient reason for the thread as far as you're concerned, eh? Beyond that, you'll just have to speculate on your own account... if you want more grist for your mill.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    on Yahoo group SFVeg: "Millenium Restaurant: In Memory of...
    « Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 11:12:38 AM »
    The Millennium memorial letter has also been posted in thread #7768, "Millenium Restaurant: In Memory of Jason Dunbar," in the Yahoo group SFVeg, along with more pics (click on the link to view, as I'm having trouble sizing most of them appropriately):

Date: Fri May 20, 2011 9:14 pm
    Subject: Millenium Restaurant: In Memory of Jason Dunbar

A great Chef !

JC

--- On Fri, 5/20/11, Millennium Restaurant <abagby@...> wrote:

Subject: In Memory of Jason Dunbar
      To: jcadiz2002@...
      Date: Friday, May 20, 2011, 2:12 PM

Millennium's Sous Chef, Jason Dunbar, spent his last day in Yosemite on Friday, his favorite place outside of the kitchen, with people he loved, people who loved him. He and Eric Tucker created the menu together for the past five years and he had been with Millennium since February of 2004.

Jason left us too soon, and he will be missed deeply by everyone who knew him.

He was honest and full of life-- someone who believed that if he was going to do something, it was going to be done right and with all of his endless energy and integrity. He was a wonderful teacher, an avid reader and someone who was always true to himself and to those around him.

He was extremely talented and so passionate about and dedicated to feeding people delicious food that did not do harm in its making.

He loved laughing and making people laugh, and he went out of his way every day to make this day better than the one before. He has influenced so many, and so much, and his spirit will live always in the people who love him, in our enduring memories, in our constant gratitude--in us forever.  

Jason's memorial service will be held on Friday, May 27th at 2:00pm.
    It will be at Lafayette Orinda Presbyterian Church, 49 Knox Dr., Lafayette.
    There will be a reception at the church after the service.

Jason was a devoted climber for twenty years-his love for climbing survives him and celebrates him with your considered contribution to The Access Fund, an organization dedicated to protecting the environment at America's rock climbing sites.

http://www.accessfund.org/jasondunbar

We love you Jason,

Eric, Alison & Your Millennium Family[/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Millennium's Sous Chef Jason Dunbar's Memorial Fund
    « Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 11:46:59 PM »
    From another vegetarian/vegan blog, vegansaurus!:

23/05/2011
    Millennium's Sous Chef Jason Dunbar's Memorial Fund

Millennium's Sous Chef, Jason Dunbar, died unexpectedly while hiking in Yosemite on Friday, May 13th. He was only 34 years old, and by all accounts (and there are lots of them), an extremely kind, funny, and awesomely wonderful stand-up dude. I have several friends who are former co-workers of his and all of them speak with such love, it's awe-inspiring. If I leave behind a 1/20th of that amount of goodwill and affection, I'd be surprised (thrilled).

Anyhow, this news really is the pits, and it's impossible to say anything remotely not awful about the whole terrible situation, so I'll just say that if you've ever enjoyed a meal at Millennium*, there's a good chance it was thanks to Jason's culinary genius, as he and Eric Tucker have been creating the menu together for the past 5 years. So why not donate in his name to the Access Fund, an organization dedicated to protecting the environment at America's rock climbing sites. We're lucky to be able to start our Mondays off right by supporting an extremely worthy cause, in the name of an extremely worthy human being.

posted at 10:52 by laurahooperb

--------------

Comments for the above blog entry:

Steve · 1 week ago
      RIP bro. Thanks for being a vegg chef. Not easy. I am one too. Save the critters. They come to us for help.
    Chloe · 1 week ago
      I am shocked and saddened by this news. Jason was friendly, funny, and an amazing vegan chef. My thoughts go out to his family, friends, and the Millennium community.
    Sarah M. Smart · 1 week ago
      This is so tragic. My heart goes out to family and friends of his.
      s

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Access Fund: Jason Dunbar Memorial Giving
    « Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 01:59:10 AM »
    Here's that Jason Dunbar Memorial Access Fund page. If you follow the below title link, there's an online form you can fill out for memorial donations. Alternatively, there are other contact routes noted...

Jason Dunbar Memorial Giving

This memorial page has been established at the request of Jason's loved ones.

Jason Dunbar was a devoted climber for twenty years. He loved nothing more than the moment when everything else in the world disappeared, when he was topping out on a boulder problem he found in the middle of nowhere.

Jason lived for extended periods of time in both Joshua Tree and Yosemite National Park, and loved climbing in Yosemite Valley more than any place else. Jason spent his last day in Yosemite on Friday, May 13 with people he loved, people who loved him.

Jason left us too soon. He will be missed deeply by his parents, Marjorie and David; his siblings Karrin, Drew and Brad; his life partner Alison; and by everyone who knew him. He was honest and full of life—someone who believed that if he was going to do something, it was going to be done right and with all of his endless energy and integrity. His spirit will live always in the people who love him, in our enduring memories, in our constant gratitude—forever.

Jason's love for climbing survives him and celebrates him with your considered contribution to the Access Fund, an organization that he respected very much.

Jason's memorial service will be held on Friday, May 27th at 2:00pm.
    It will be at Lafayette Orinda Presbyterian Church, 49 Knox Dr., Lafayette.
    There will be a reception at the church after the service.

The Access Fund · P.O. Box 17010 · Boulder, Colorado 80308 ·
    303.545.6772 · 303.545.6774 (Fax)
    Copyright © 1995-2009 Access Fund.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Jason Dunbar (1976 - 2011)
    « Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 01:11:27 PM »
    Here's the Obituary which was published in the Contra Costa Times:

Jason Dunbar (1976 - 2011)

Jason Dunbar Sept. 21, 1976 - May 13, 2011 Resident of Berkeley, CA Formerly of Lafayette, CA Jason Dunbar, 34, died suddenly on May 13 of natural causes while hiking in Yosemite National Park, a place he loved and respected. An experienced rock climber and hiker, he was the sous chef at the popular Millennium restaurant in downtown San Francisco. Born in Walnut Creek, he attended schools in his hometown of Lafayette and graduated from the Hyde School in Bath, MA. He attended the University of Montana before returning to the Bay Area. He was also a catering chef at the LaBocca Finna Catering Co. for several years before joining the Millennium Restaurant, part of the Joie de Vivre organization Jason left us too soon, and he will be missed deeply by everyone who knew him. He was honest and full of life- someone who believed that if he was going to do something, it was going to be done right and with all of his endless energy and integrity. He was a wonderful teacher, an avid reader and someone who was always true to himself and to those around him. He was extremely talented and so passionate about and dedicated to feeding people delicious food that did not do harm in its making. He loved laughing and making people laugh, and he went out of his way every day to make this day better than the one before. He has influenced so many, and so much, and his spirit will live always in the people who love him, in our enduring memories, in our constant gratitude-in us forever. Jason Dunbar is survived by his parents, David and Marjorie Dunbar of Lafayette; his sister Karrin Dunbar of Sacramento; brothers Bradley Dunbar of Mill Valley and Drew Dunbar of Walnut Creek; two nephews, Alex and Hunter, and his beloved life partner, Alison Bagby, of Berkeley. A memorial celebration is scheduled at 2 p.m. Friday May 27 at the Lafayette Orinda Presbyterian Church, 49 Knox Drive, in Lafayette. Jason was a devoted climber for twenty years. His love for climbing survives him and celebrates him with your considered contribution to The Access Fund, an organization dedicated to protecting the environment at America's rock climbing sites. http://www.accessfund.org/jasondunbar.

Published in Contra Costa Times on May 24, 2011

© Copyright 1999-2011 Legacy.com