Author Topic: I'm just a-swingin' through...  (Read 2114 times)

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
I'm just a-swingin' through...
« on: May 21, 2011, 03:36:20 PM »
...heaven is my home!

This is an automated response. If you are receiving this message, it is because the owner of this account is no longer on the planet. Praise God!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Re: I'm just a-swingin' through...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:41:48 PM »
Quit fronting, I know you were planning for some post rapture looting.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Awake

• View Profile
Re: I'm just a-swingin' through...
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 01:05:21 AM »
OMG! all the program CEO's disappeared!

COGNITIVE DISSONANCE- WHEN PROPHECY FAILS   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails

Cognitive dissonance

Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance can account for the psychological consequences of disconfirmed expectations. One of the first published cases of dissonance was reported in the book, When Prophecy Fails (Festinger et al. 1956). Festinger and his associates read an interesting item in their local newspaper headlined "Prophecy from planet Clarion call to city: flee that flood." A housewife from Chicago (changed to "Michigan" in the book), given the name "Marian Keech" (real name: Dorothy Martin, later known as Sister Thedra[1]), had mysteriously been given messages in her house in the form of "automatic writing" from alien beings on the planet Clarion. These messages revealed that the world would end in a great flood before dawn on December 21, 1954. Mrs. Keech had previously been involved with L. Ron Hubbard's Dianetics movement, and her cult incorporated ideas from what was to become Scientology.[2] The group of believers, headed by Keech, had taken strong behavioral steps to indicate their degree of commitment to the belief. They had left jobs, college, and spouses, and had given away money and possessions to prepare for their departure on the flying saucer, which was to rescue the group of true believers.

Premise of study

Festinger and his colleagues saw this as a case that would lead to the arousal of dissonance when the prophecy failed. Altering the belief would be difficult, as Keech and her group were committed at considerable expense to maintain it. Another option would be to enlist social support for their belief. As Festinger wrote, "If more and more people can be persuaded that the system of belief is correct, then clearly it must after all be correct." In this case, if Keech could add consonant elements by converting others to the basic premise, then the magnitude of her dissonance following disconfirmation would be reduced. Festinger and his colleagues predicted that the inevitable disconfirmation would be followed by an enthusiastic effort at proselytizing to seek social support and lessen the pain of disconfirmation.

... present day

YAHOO NEWS-
Apocalypse believers await end, skeptics carry on

New York's Times Square, Robert Fitzpatrick, of Staten Island, said he was surprised when the six o'clock hour simply came and went. He had spent his own money to put up advertising about the end of the world.

"I can't tell you what I feel right now," he said, surrounded by tourists. "Obviously, I haven't understood it correctly because we're still here."
Many followers said the delay was a further test from God to persevere in their faith.

"It's still May 21 and God's going to bring it," said Family Radio's special projects coordinator Michael Garcia, who spent Saturday morning praying and drinking two last cups of coffee with his wife at home in Alameda. "When you say something and it doesn't happen, your pride is what's hurt. But who needs pride? God said he resists the proud and gives grace to the humble."  -

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110522/ap_ ... FseXBzZWJl

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Apocalypse not now
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 02:26:10 AM »
Quote from: "Awake"
OMG! all the program CEO's disappeared!
Ah, so it seems yours is a terrestrial heaven  from which the sociopaths/demons are to be banished from here (in a sort of inverse [c]apture)?…Sounds cool enough.
Quote from: "Awake"
COGNITIVE DISSONANCE- WHEN PROPHECY FAILS
So in a nutshell…with the failed prophesy the believers essentially reinterpret reality in a way that incorporates with their beliefs
Which means either way, those on either side can say “Tomorrow is another day”
Robert Fitzpatrick, of Staten Island, said: "Obviously, I haven't understood it correctly because we're still here."
Well, we’re arriving at this from very different directions but...that’s pretty much what I think every morning.

Edited to add: God hath tweeted his ire http://www.borowitzreport.com/
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis