Author Topic: Unknown program in Calhoun County  (Read 17173 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Presiding family judge takes over all juvenile cases
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »
For somewhat less than fully transparent motives, one of the family court judges for Calhoun and Cleburne counties decides to wrest control of all juvenile proceedings into her own hands. This means that 7th Circuit Judge Brenda Stedham now has control over all cases in which a juvenile might be sent to alternative sentencing programs such as the Success Academy program at the Calhoun County Jail.

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

The Anniston Star · Alabama

Presiding family judge takes over all juvenile cases

by Cameron Steele · [email protected] · Anniston Star
Apr 08, 2011

Budget shortfalls may mean layoffs - and long waits - at the Calhoun County Courthouse.[/list]

The presiding family court judge for Calhoun and Cleburne counties has decided to oversee all juvenile delinquency and dependency cases.

The move by 7th Circuit Judge Brenda Stedham has a local district judge saying Stedham has "destroyed" the area's drug courts.

Stedham said in a Thursday press release that she decided to oversee all cases to "better protect the health, welfare and safety of all the children who make up the juvenile caseload of this county."

Until now, Stedham split all juvenile cases with Laura Phillips, the district judge in family court.

Phillips was the judge who, six years ago, helped to create and find funding for programs that serve as sentencing alternatives for youth who would be better rehabilitated outside of the detention centers or boot camps under the Department of Youth Services.

Phillips told The Star that Stedham's move would undo her work to create drug courts.

Stedham's decision to transfer all of the juvenile cases to her caseload means that Stedham, rather than Phillips, is now in control of those alternative sentencing programs, including juvenile and family drug court.

"The transfer of the entire juvenile court caseload to me will give me direct control of each case and its outcome," Stedham said in the press release. "No juvenile in my caseload will be assigned to any program or treatment regimen without my knowledge and consent."

But even if Stedham were to consent for a child to participate in one of those sentencing alternatives, that juvenile couldn't legally abide by Stedham's request – at least not right now.

That's because Calhoun County District Attorney Brian McVeigh said he will discontinue prosecutors' referral of youthful offenders to those programs until he learns more about how Stedham plans to run programs like juvenile drug court. And by state law, children cannot participate in any alternative sentencing program without the DA's consent, McVeigh said.

"This office has a good working relationship with Judge Stedham and with Judge Phillips; my concern is that this is a situation where I don't know what the status of those programs would be a day or a week or a month from now," McVeigh said. "I don't think it would be appropriate for our office to refer children to any program at this time."

Follows controversy over jail program

Stedham's decision comes in the middle of an FBI investigation into a Calhoun County Sheriff's Office jail program for juvenile offenders and suspended-from-school students violated state and federal law.

Stedham told The Star Thursday she could not comment on whether her decision was related to that controversy and to a recently published video that shows Sheriff Larry Amerson using manual force on a shackled and handcuffed juvenile who participated in that program.

"I cannot comment on matters that are under investigation by the FBI and matters that are juvenile cases," Stedham said. "But in order to make sure that juveniles are being dealt with properly, I felt it was necessary and appropriate to take this action."

But Phillips said Stedham's actions effectively undermine her hard work to create a juvenile drug court program that has been the model for other such alternative sentencing programs in the state and has saved the Department of Youth Services thousands of dollars.

"Because of her actions, the drug courts for juveniles of Calhoun County are destroyed," Phillips said. "Because of her action itself, we lost ... the DA's support."

Phillips said Stedham did not consult with her before making the change.

And, because of Stedham's decision, Phillips said, lost are the thousands of dollars the juvenile court and other similar programs saved the Department of Youth Services by providing alternatives to putting juveniles under the department's supervision.

Stedham said that is not her interpretation of the DA's decision to temporarily stop referring children to drug court and other programs.

"Nothing I have done will cause DYS or the state to lose a model program, all I have done is take control over the family drug court and the juvenile drug court and the Success Academy, so that I can have control over those programs for the benefit of the children and families who are involved," Stedham said.

Phillips: no prior knowledge of school suspension program

The Success Academy is another sentencing alternative program that allows youthful offenders to take education classes and work toward their GED. Success Academy students who misbehave have the option of going to work at the jail as part of that Sheriff's Office program, dressing in inmate jumpsuits and following the orders of corrections officers, Family Links Inc. Director Lyndsey Gillam has said. A federal civil rights lawsuit filed against Amerson Tuesday and a former Sheriff's Office deputy allege that jail program also involved youthful offenders touring the part of the jail where inmates were located and having verbal exchanges with those inmates.

For his part, McVeigh said the decision to temporarily discontinue prosecutor referrals to alternative sentencing programs is one that would happen any time a new person took the reins on these programs without having prior work experience with them.

The DA's office would have done the same thing, McVeigh said, when adult drug court was transferred from former Circuit Judge Joel Laird to Circuit Judge Brian Howell -- if it hadn't been for Howell's prior experience as a creator of and prosecutor for the adult drug court.

Neither McVeigh nor Stedham would comment on how the juvenile drug court and other alternative sentencing programs were operated under Phillips or whether they thought there were any operational problems with the programs.

Phillips said she has no idea what Stedham's reasons are for taking the programs and juvenile cases away from her; she said the juvenile drug court program, in particular, was the lead example of how such programs should operate at a state convention.

"My drug court program has nothing to do with the Success Academy, nothing to do with the Sheriff's Office programs or anything," Phillips said.

She said she never knew about the Sheriff's Office juvenile jail program until The Star printed articles about it last week and that no juveniles in the drug court program ever toured the jail or had contact with adult inmates in any way.

Chief Juvenile Probation Officer Randy Reaves said Amerson told officials about the jail program at a Children's Policy Council meeting "a few months ago," but said the sheriff only mentioned that suspended-from-school students, with their parents' consent, would participate in the program.

Reaves said he didn't know about the Success Academy students attending the jail program and that there had never been a juvenile ordered by the court to participate in a program that gave them tours of the jail or put them into contact with adult inmates.

When asked why, Reaves replied: "It's against federal and state law, and we're very well aware of that."

Reaves said he and his staff of eight juvenile probation officers would comply with Stedham's decision.

"It does not affect us in any way other than instead of dealing with two judges, we're going to only be dealing with one judge," he said.

"The ultimate responsibility for the safety and welfare of all young people who come under the jurisdiction of our juvenile court system in this county lies with me," Stedham said. "I assure you that each juvenile's civil rights will be fully protected, and the letter and spirit of the law will be followed at all times."

Copyright © 2011 Anniston Star.
    « Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "Presiding family judge takes over all juvenile ca
    « Reply #61 on: May 30, 2011, 09:49:31 PM »
    Comments left for the above article, "Presiding family judge takes over all juvenile cases" (by Cameron Steele; Apr 08, 2011; The Anniston Star):

honestgovernment wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 06:15 AM
      Folks this is what you get with grants and special funding deals. One hand does not know what the other is doing, or so they say. IF we in Calhoun County would have had to pay for whatever we wanted don't you think everyone would have known about the programs?

This is not just a problem with grants for this sentencing program but with grants and funding all the way from the feds to the state. Cut out grants and let everyone fund the projects and programs their taxpayers are willing to support.

We complain about the waste fraud and abuse of Alaskas bridge to nowhere, well this is Alabamas youth program to nowhere. Get government back down to the lowest level possible to the level of WE THE PEOPLE then we will have someone to blame instead of two judges and a DA pointing fingers at each other. When gov't can't decide who is at fault it's time to sweep the floor, clean house and start from scratch.

Our illustrious Hubbard got McVeigh appointed because he was supposed to kknow everything having been hand picked and trained by the former DA, well it apppears he forgot to tell him something...........
    cvd60 wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 07:52 AM
      No this is simply a case of a newly elected judge who thinks she knows whats she is doing and doesnt.
    honestgovernment wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 01:17 PM
      cvd, both are incumbents.
    Ima_Prose wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 01:55 PM
      Stedham is NOT an incumbent. She was appointed by the governor through a recommendation of the republican party. Stedham has NEVER been a candidate for judge. Judge Laura Phillips did not have any opposition in the last election, most likely because she was doing such a good job, therefore winning her seat outright.

Stedham was appointed to her job in which the job description is "Presiding Circuit Court Family Judge". One would think Stedham would talk with the more experienced ELECTED Judge Phillips before she took these drastic actions. Maybe the two should switch jobs as Judge Phillips has done much more for the family court.
    setsail98 wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 02:31 PM
      Empires... nothing more than empires. Control.

People in the programs have names. The peeps above are concerned with their own names only... in neon.
    garmany54 wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 06:54 PM
      Well whoever made this decision just was not thinking about anyone with children, this judge is known to put children in foster care for all the wrong reasons and leave it up to DHR when the children should be placed back to the parents that care more about them than some home that the children are not familiar with there environments. This judge is afraid to go against anything DHR states and as we all know they take children that dont belong to them and leave those in danger where they should not be!!!! DHR lies to the parents and then they try to collect money for the stay of the children. Its all about money, lies, and deciet, as well as control.
    Generations wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 06:59 PM
      Oh boy. A catfight. Actually nice to see the family court under a bit of light. Otherwise, these women operate in cloak, often destroying young lives. Same drill. Order underfunded and overstreached DHR to do "home studies" and send young ones back. To destruction. DHR "supervision" on incompetent parents. Half ass attention to juve crisis. But hey, like all in Alabama, we refuse to spend a dollar today to save ten in five years. Phillips should have known what the Sheriff she orders around everyday was doing. First, she has to care. Assert yourself DA McVeigh. The system needs a thoughtful grown up rather than judges who don't know what the practice of law means in this regard. Nice wages for the ladies though. Sell tickets and wrestle. The at risk kids can wait.
    John5299 wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 07:03 PM
      I think Judge Phillips is a very fine judge. She has put alot of time in getting programs started for juveniles. She was probably misguided by the Sheriff in to agreeing to some of these programs. At the same time I think Judge Stedham is doing fine too. Apparently, there is more to this then what we know and probably never will. Maybe Judge Stedham smells or knows there is maybe a good ole boy rat in the system. I think Judge Stedham is looking out for the interest of the juveniles in Calhoun Co. Only time will tell. Maybe she is not one of the good ole boys...LOL. Politics causes strange things to happen out of the norm when some one like the Sheriff is under scrutiny.
    garmany54 wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 07:39 PM
      Lets talk about Judge Stedham you go into her court room things should be decided then not months down the road. Also if you all think she truely thinks of the best interest of the children you have to be joking yourself she looks for DHR to always make the decision not her what is wrong with that, I assumed that she got that position to do the right thing by what was right for the children and anyone to think DHR has your best interest for the children your definitly could not be so far from the truth they are so broke and paying very little to these foster parents to take care of someone's children and can you honestly say that they treat your children as they should be or how you as there parents would because the judge orders for DHR to come involved due to 2 parents not being able to get along for various reasons so the best response was to let the state take care of the children yeah right!!!!! Judges think they are GOD but I hate to tell you that your not!!!
    John5299 wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 08:45 PM
      LOL, Let's get rid of all these judges and put Judge Roy Bean in there. He would instead of choking juveniles have them hanged. Then there would be no more worries about what the juv's would do in the future. Ha Ha
    justhetruth wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 08:57 PM
      Having had the opportunity to work in county government for many years, no one knows more about the court system than I do. I know who gets breaks and who gets railroaded. I am appauled that Judge Stedham had done what she has. This is a big mistake and the people will be the losers. In the time Judge Laura Phillips has been on the bench, only one complaint was filed and this was addressed to the satisfactory of the person complaining. I cannot say the same for Judge Brenda Steadham. Hardly a day goes by that she is not in someones face and if the election were to be held today, she would be beat worse than Judge Jones beat Judge Laird. Judge Steadham has the attitude that it is her way or the trailway. The governor made a big mistake by appointing her to this position and if she does not settle down and quit listening to DHR, there could be some children that will suffer and possible suffer bodily harm. The DA and Judge Phillips need to be commended for taking a stand against Sheriff Amerson. I know for certain he kept this program under wraps and only a few insiders were aware of it. He needs to go and go now. Judge Stedham needs to go or suffer impeachment for malfeasence/misfeasence. A lot of folks think she bought this job. A lot of folks also think Representative Randy Woods handpicked her. Why would they think this? Somewhere out there the truth floats around. Will the voters ever learn it? Maybe this is something the Anniston Star needs to do some inquiring about.
    Generations wrote on Saturday, Apr 09 at 10:52 AM
      Justthetruth makes the point. It is incestual at the courthouse. At-least the city council's crazy antics are tune in at your pleasure. This family court has problems. Just a glimpse here. These are women who can't practice law, becoming judges. Voters don' t know the difference. Statistics should be public periodically and still a grown up needs to insert themselves with these haggling women. House needs cleaning. DHR is prominent because the judges make them prominent. It is all they can spend money on. The kids suffer in their courts. But hey, we don't pay tax. Judges draw entitlement salaries. That is what it is really their motivation. Catfight. What about growing kids that won't be a societal burden now or into adulthood? If funds are tight now, you ain't seen nothing yet. May come a time where judges may have to consider societal implications. That would require independent thought. What is that?
    Ima_Prose wrote on Saturday, Apr 09 at 10:41 PM
      I know for a fact, Stedham went around the courthouse lobbying the other judges on Thursday morning after she had issued her executive order taking Judge Phillips' cases from her. Her excuse? "Just to let them know what was going on". Oh really? Was that her reason to run to the other judges or did she want to get to them "on her side" before Judge Phillips got back in town? Why did she feel the need to run to the other judges? I know at least one of them did not want to get involved in her games because I heard them say they would rather her keep it in family court, they had their own cases to deal with. I honestly think this judge didn't want to get caught up in Stedham's drama. The question that needs to be asked is this: How many of Stedham's rulings have been appealed and overturned? The public would be very surprised!
    another1gone wrote on Saturday, Apr 09 at 10:55 PM
      If Judge Stedham slipped around and did what Ima_Prose said she did, then there is no limit to what she will do or has already done to get her way. Judge Phillips has always been above board and does not have to slip around. Honesty is Judge Laura Phillips policy. An investigation needs to be launched or a complaint needs to be filed with the chief justice. Judge Stedham needs to go and now. If not, she will be defeated at the next election.
    Grace333 wrote on Monday, Apr 11 at 08:48 PM
      My Lord, God is still revealing all these officials in leadership around this county I had the exprience of being in the courtroom of Judge Stedham...The Lady Needs To Be Removed Immediately!! She has no concern for the kids of this county and every case she has in front of her is putting another child's life in Danger!! Just because of the way she runs her courtroom. She is guilty of siding with one parent simply because that parent's attorney is her friend. This attorney has even bragged that when her client comes before Judge Stedham they Win everytime!!! She is guilty of not even listening to what a child has to say even at the age of 13yrs of age and threaten the child with DHR of Coosa Valley if she complain about anything going on in the household she assigns her to!!! Is this a Judge that has any concern for our children? Judge Phillips always takes out the time to listen to the CHILD, which is what it's suppose to be about. That women is very EVIL and doesn't care who she walks on or hurt she needs to be in some kind of rehabilitation herself instead of trying to decide where to send somebody's child!! That is the reason she is going around the courthouse keeping Mess going because she has an Evil spirit. Judge Thompson has repect for everyone parent or child that comes in her courtroom regardless fo past mistakes!! One day this Women will have to stand be for THE JUDGE and be Judged for every child's life that she has destroyed , because she didn't seek God before making a decision , but seeked her own EVIL mind!! Nobody voted for this This Monter was given to us!!! HELP!!!
    Grace333 wrote on Monday, Apr 11 at 11:02 PM
      Sorry I meant to say Judge Laura Phillps not Judge Thompson. And by the way is she Head Judge or something? How is she able to take cases away from another Judge? Somebody needs to sit her DOWN!!
    newshound1921 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 13 at 01:39 PM
      Interesting comments.
    newshound1921 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 13 at 01:46 PM
      Anyone who claims to know "everything" going on in our court system, or the Family Court in particular, is guilty of wishful thinking. Even the people who work there don’t make that claim.

Judges Stedham and Phillips handle thousands of cases each year, and they always have a stack of files to review and orders to write and sign when they are not in the courtroom. Further, many of the cases that come before them are difficult, with totally conflicting testimony about what happened, or differences of opinions between experts as to what the Judge should do. Many cases do not have easy answers; some don’t have answers. The only that's easy is sitting on the sidelines throwing rocks when you're not on the playing field.

Commentators can criticize DHR all they want, it's an underfunded agency with a huge case load. The great majority, if not all, of its personnel are excellent and care a great deal about the families and children whose lives they have to deal with. A few don't. That's true of any organization of its size, public or private.

The citizens who come into court, especially the Family court, take things personally. That's understandable, the stakes are high and the situations involved generate a great deal of emotion long before they get to a hearing before one of our Judges. That does not equate to "the Judge is wrong" or "the system is broken" (although some parts of it are, which parts depend on who you ask) or, my favorite, "I had the wrong lawyer". Sure, some lawyers do better than others, but have you considered that those lawyers may be the ones who prepare their cases and witnesses better, try their cases better, and know the law better than the other side? I'd rather have great facts on my side than lousy facts and a "connected" lawyer. In a very close case, maybe it’ll turn the result, but might that be because the Judge has more confidence and trust in that lawyer than in the other?

And the Governor did not appoint Judge Stedham. The Republican Party of Alabama, acting through its Executive Committee, chaired by Rep. Mike Hubbard (now Speaker of the House Hubbard), selected Judge Stedham as the party's nominee for that slot after the Party disqualified the primary winner for failing to timely file a required campaign financial report. You can look up the Supreme Court's decision, Bryan v. Hubbard.

If what the Star printed is accurate, we're still not certain why Judge Stedham took the action she took. Was it because of concern that juveniles in the system were being sent to the jail program without the Judges knowing about it? Was it something else? Was it a combination of things?

In life there are many truths, and sometimes they don't agree. We never know what's in someone else's mind unless they tell us, and even then, that may not be "the truth" because we humans are not always as self-knowing as we might think we are, or would like to be. If we were, psychologists, counselors, and the rest of the mental health profession could close their offices and go fishing.

If you want to help, support an organization that you believe does something good for the community, and in particular one that supports and helps families with children. It's not debatable that Alabama does not fund social services (and many other things) at the level other states do. People believe (because generations of political candidates have told them) that Alabamians are over-taxed; the data to the contrary is overwhelming. But history has shown that it’s easier to sell a big lie than a small one.

Judges Stedham & Phillips are honest and good Judges trying to do their best with what they have to work with. They don’t claim to be perfect, or right in everything they do. They know they’re not always right, they just don’t know when that is. They don't need rock throwers, they need people to try to resolve their differences so that the Judges don't have to do it for them; they need people to take responsibility for their actions; they need more funding and more staff support. We all have opinions about courts and crime, but I haven't seen anyone volunteering to help pay for programs that might help with these problems. It would be nice if the Judges agreed on everything. It would be even nicer if we did too, then the Judges wouldn’t have so many divorces, custody battles, juvenile proceedings, and abuse cases pouring in on them.

And Sheriff Amerson, whatever you may think about him, has an extremely difficult job, just as his predecessor did and just as his successor, whoever and whenever that is, will have. The Sheriff has to take the people the system orders locked up and house and feed them on pennies when he should have dollars. He has to do the same thing in providing law enforcement in a large geographical area with way too few deputies and cars to do it.

The disgrace isn't the politics of being a Judge or Sheriff, if you didn't want politics involved, why don’t you ask the law to be changed so that judges, sheriffs, district attorneys, the clerk of court, etc., no longer have to run for office on partisan tickets? You think they like doing that? You’re out of your mind; running for office and having deal with us, the public, is as exhausting as it is impoverishing.

The disgrace is our unwillingness to support and adequately fund the facilities that must deal with the members of our "community" who are poor, who are troubled and disturbed, and those who just plain do bad things. It's so much cheaper to provide help before someone ends up in the justice system than it is afterward.

So think before you trash somebody, you may not know all the facts, and your perception may be flawed. After all, the thousands of voters that put the current Anniston City Council members in office thought they were doing the right thing at the time, didn't they?
    ForChrist wrote on Wednesday, Apr 13 at 03:41 PM
      Well said newshound1921

I hope people take time to really consider what you have said. But sadly rational arugments based upon ample evidence will not change the minds of some people.
    HowWordHues wrote on Thursday, Apr 14 at 07:29 AM
      Newshound 1921,

I totally agree with every word you said.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Innocent until proven guilty
    « Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
    Another Letter to the Editor...

Innocent until proven guilty

by our readers · Anniston Star
    Apr 15, 2011

Why is it that when a public official does something that some people consider wrong or criminal that everyone automatically wants them to resign or be arrested? Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

In my opinion, Calhoun County Sheriff Larry Amerson has the same rights as everyone else. The video clip that everyone saw is not the whole story, it is only a small glimpse of what happened. The only ones who know the whole story are the juvenile, the sheriff and God.

If the juvenile was there for some sort of program, then it is obvious he did something wrong to be there or else his parent(s) would not have put him there. I feel that is what is wrong with the youth of today; they are allowed to get away with everything without facing the consequences.

If I did something wrong when I was younger, I got a good, old-fashioned whipping. If anyone ever had to go outside and get their own hickory, then they know what I am talking about. We need to learn the whole story before calling for the sheriff's resignation or arresting him. Also, we need to stop coddling the youth of today and hold them accountable for their actions.

James Mink
    Heflin

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "Innocent until proven guilty"
    « Reply #63 on: June 04, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »
    Comments left for the above Letter to the Editor, "Innocent until proven guilty" (readership input; Apr 15, 2011; The Anniston Star):

JustPlainBill wrote on Friday, Apr 15 at 11:46 AM
      Attacking a handcuffed prisoner physically and it was caught on tape. If the prisoner had been a Donoho graduate with influencial parents the sheriff would have been history the next day.
    jthomas1979 wrote on Friday, Apr 15 at 12:12 PM
      I agree 100% with James Mink! This story and all the comments posted concerning it has disgusted me for several days now.

The woman placed her child in the "custody" of the county jail, apparently because she couldn't handle him and needed SOMEONE ELSE to deal with his behavioral issues.

I've watched the video and I didn't see choking or attacking. I saw the Sheriff forcing the boy to look him in the eyes while he communicated with him because the boy had his head turned the opposite direction from the Sheriff.

I do understand that there are several ways to veiw this short film that we have all seen and that's just all of us being different humans. The way I see it is in no way defensive because I think the Sheriff is a good person, because I don't know him pesonally.

But like James Mink is stating: why is the Sheriff automatically guilty?

The boy is so far out of control that his own parent can't do anything with him, but he should be treated with upmost respect while spending his day at the county jail.

I bet the boy has never been sent to get his own "hickory" a day in his life...
    downindixie wrote on Saturday, Apr 16 at 09:41 AM
      I've watched the video and I didn't see choking or attacking. I saw the Sheriff forcing the boy to look him in the eyes while he communicated with him because the boy had his head turned the opposite direction from the Sheriff.

Yes and forcing the boy to physically turn head is a law violation! Oh an if he forced the boy turn turn toward the Sheriff,then the boy must not have been trying to spit in the Sheriff!

By the way I have the freedom according to the constitution to express my opinion as you do!
    arizonagirl wrote on Saturday, Apr 16 at 10:45 AM
      Mr. Mink, downindixie, jthomas1979:

In our 'free' country, most American citizens truly believe that in regards to an arrest, we are 'innocent until proven guilty'....well, this is not the case.

Especially in Calhoun County, Al.

If one is arrested in Calhoun County and charged with a crime, they are "guilty and the burden of proof is on them to prove their innocence".

So, WHY should the 'sherrif' and I use that term lightly..be treated any different.

He 'Amerson' has broken the laws of our Constitution, and I am appauled that he has not been subject to the requirements of others who break the law.

If he were 'truly' a man of honesty and integrity, which is is NOT, he would either resign or take a leave of absence until this mess can be setteled.

But he will not do this, because he is such a dishonest man that he is terrified to do this for fear that everything he has done while in this 'position' will be found out.

He broke the law, so he should be treated as ALL US Citizens are supposed to be treated, or as they are treated in Calhoun County-- rough, with disrespect,their families are treated very unkindly, and should have to go through the process as regular citizens do.

This is one of the greatest threats to our society...those in power will do anything to continue their reign of power and corruption, and anyone who believes that ALL ARE EQUAL under the law, including Amerson!
    licketysplit wrote on Thursday, Apr 21 at 10:21 AM
      @jthomas1979: if you would take the time to read the Alabama Criminal Code regarding use of physical force, to include the part regarding law enforcement officers/people detained in a detention facility...then you would better understand why everyone is making such a big deal out of this. His behavior was unacceptable as a law enforcement professional and had a patrol officer or correctional officer behaved the same way and exposed to the media, he or she would have been fired. I will agree that this child has never been sent to get his own "hickory" a day in his life but why does the Sheriff have to carry the burden of his parents' shortcomings by disciplining him? Shouldn't that be left to the parents?

@downindixie: Yes you have the freedom of speech, as do I. You obviously haven't read the AL Criminal Code either. So what if the boy didn't look at the Sheriff when he was being "talked to?" That's a crime? That warrants being grabbed and intimidated by a use of force? I thought the police were here to serve and protect...not harass and intimidate. THAT'S what I see in this video...intimidation.

@arizonagirl: You are spot on with your comments!

Why is he allowed to retain his position? Why hasn't he been forced to step down at least temporarily and let his Chief Deputy hold down the fort until this matter has been resolved?

Because he has the power. He IS the law. Calhoun County needs a major overhaul in the law enforcement and jail administration departments.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    In Zinn Park Saturday, second protest calls on Sheriff...
    « Reply #64 on: June 05, 2011, 10:40:09 AM »
    Calls for Sheriff Amerson's resignation are again expressed through organized protest:

In Zinn Park Saturday, second protest calls on Sheriff Amerson to resign

by Laura Johnson · Star Staff Writer · Anniston Star
    Apr 17, 2011

State Rep. Barbara Boyd, D-Anniston, told a crowd of about two dozen at a rally Saturday afternoon in Zinn Park that she believes Sheriff Larry Amerson has covered up instances of excessive force and abuse at the Calhoun County Jail.

She was one of a series of speakers at the second protest in the aftermath of the publication of video showing Amerson using manual force against a juvenile.

Boyd told the crowd she has heard personal accounts of abuse from people imprisoned at area jails — although she offered no documentary evidence for those claims — and said she believes those accounts are accurate.

She said Amerson has tried to convince her otherwise.

"I have gone in there to the sheriff in many occasions," Boyd said. "They have looked me dead in the eye and assured me that this kind of behavior did not go on."

Boyd said the courts should be relied upon to determine whether Amerson is guilty or innocent of the claims made in an ongoing federal lawsuit, but the event's organizers were calling for his resignation. It was one in a series of protests expected during the spring and summer by Operation Human Rights and the Center for Progress in Alabama, representatives from the groups said.

"It is time for the citizens to say 'Sheriff Amerson must go,' " said Jason Childs, state director for the Center for Progress. "Not tomorrow, but today."

Amerson could not be reached directly for comment, but via email the sheriff's office provided a statement: "For more than sixteen years, Sheriff Larry Amerson has conducted the business of the Office of Sheriff in a lawful, honorable, and race neutral manner. His record is clear. In the matter of the recent controversy, Sheriff Amerson has requested an outside investigation as he is not allowed to speak directly on the issue. He is following the law and urges everyone to allow the system to work."

While at the event organizers also collected signatures of those calling for Amerson's resignation.

Some are also calling for criminal charges against the sheriff. Abdul H. Khalil'llah, director Operation Human Rights, has also called for criminal charges to be filed against the sheriff in a letter addressed to the United States Attorney's Office.

Onlookers pooled in clusters to listen on the lawn around the front patio of a city recreation center at the corner of Zinn Park. Many of them stood, arms crossed, as the voices of Boyd, Childs and Anniston City Councilman Ben Little spoke against the sheriff. Amplified over a microphone, the speakers' urgent tones competed with the lighter sounds of a unrelated community event nearby — barbeque and shouts echoing from a dunking booth.

Among the crowd of participants was Antonio Phillips, attending with his wife and four children. He said the sheriff had abused his authority.

"I feel he should step down. I feel that's the only logical thing," said Phillips. "He knew he was wrong. He knew he got caught."

Star staff writer Laura Johnson: 256-235-3544.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "In Zinn Park Saturday, second protest calls on...
    « Reply #65 on: June 06, 2011, 11:35:27 PM »
    Comments left for the above article, "In Zinn Park Saturday, second protest calls on Sheriff Amerson to resign" (by Laura Johnson; Apr 17, 2011; The Anniston Star):

[email protected] wrote on Sunday, Apr 17 at 08:40 AM
      I just saw the coverage of this protest on Fox 6 News. The protesters were using the Project Pay building to promote the demonstration. This building is owned by the City of Anniston. When did the City of Anniston start sponsoring protests and allowing protesters to use their buildings? I'd like an answer Ben Little. Who authorized them to use a City of Anniston property to protest the Sheriff? This seems unethical.
    catbird572 wrote on Sunday, Apr 17 at 10:27 AM
      I saw the same coverage, and, in my opinion as well, Ben Little owes an explanation to the citizens of Anniston, and the city of Anniston owes one to the general public for letting a loose cannon like Little to continue this outrageous behavior he has engaged in during his tenure as Councilman. The good citizens of Anniston who are FED UP with the current Mayor and Clowncil should respectfully, and publically request the former Mayors to come out of their political 'retirement' to fill all five of these offices at the next election, so that we still have half a chance of getting Anniston back on track, before these buffoons do irrepairable damage to the city's reputation.
    OperationCleanSlate wrote on Sunday, Apr 17 at 10:37 AM
      Little ben already has his hands in somebody's pockets hoping for a settlement. Piece of garbage, along with the rest of those "protesters." None of those people have any interest in seeing justice, they just want a piece of the pot when they thuggishly boot a white official out of office. They tried the same thing with the Anniston PD when the former chief retired, so they could get some leftwing thug chief in. None of these people have any morals, especially Little Ben. I say GOOD JOB sheriff, law enforcement should be able to go "hands on" any time they so choose! the crime rate would be a LOT lower if when you break the law you get a PROPER skin up, instead on a slap on the hand by some liberal judge. VOTE THEM OUT!
    votethemout wrote on Sunday, Apr 17 at 10:55 AM
      Maybe Little or some of the protesters could take the poor troubled teen into THEIR home for guidance. I wonder how long they'd put up with him in thier household.
    scarllett5 wrote on Sunday, Apr 17 at 01:13 PM
      If Larry Amerson were a decent human being he would step down pending the conclusion of this investigation because there is enough definitive evidence on the video that he practices totally unnecessary police brutality.
    HowWordHues wrote on Sunday, Apr 17 at 01:25 PM
      Everyone deserves their day in court, even the Sheriff. I wouldn't resign either just because a bunch of folks are calling for it. Heck, a lot of people have been calling for Ben Little to resign and that hasn't happened.

There are 2 sides to every story. No one, and I mean no one knows what went on other than the Sheriff,that young man and God. People can talk, speculate, put in their own 2 cents but it still doesn't make it the truth.

Read Bible passage John 8.

Passage John 8 in the Bible.
    coonhunter911 wrote on Sunday, Apr 17 at 01:54 PM
      Nobody likes a quitter!

As a result Amerson can't resign! Then he wouldn't get a fair trial!

As his unappointed and unknown legal aid rep I would advise him not too!

only1
    OperationCleanSlate wrote on Sunday, Apr 17 at 05:39 PM
      @scarlet-

What constitutes police brutality? You are throwing around the words like they mean nothing. ANY law enforcement officer has the legal right to defend himself or herself against an assault,whether the person is handcuffed, shackled or whatever. And according to Alabama state law, spitting on someone IS an assault. People go to jail for it all the time. You are just a bandwagon riding hypocritical liar. Let someone spit in your face and I guarantee you would be screaming for police to throw that person in jail. I think that the sheriff exercised amazing restraint by not beating that punk senseless.
    scarllett5 wrote on Sunday, Apr 17 at 07:49 PM
      OperationCleanSlate The video speaks for itself. Where do you get the information that the boy spit in his face? It appears that the boy was trying to move away from him. At what point, in the video do you see this? I'm sure Amerson wouldn't voluntarily step-down even if found guilty but there should be an organization in the county such as the county commission who could do this for him. It's people like you that give the state a bad name nation wide with these red neck ideas.
    OperationCleanSlate wrote on Sunday, Apr 17 at 09:32 PM
      scarlet, perhaps if you did not rely solely on the star to form your opinion you would know that the boy did what he did. you can see it clearly if you look at the video objectively, but you and so many like you are not capable of that. you are on a witch hunt and likely will tarnish the good name of Amerson. He has been and will continue to be a great example of what a sheriff should be, and has likely turned down many other jobs in much higher paying places to stay with calhoun county. I respect the man and know that he is innocent of any wrong doing. You live in your little bubble of safety and have no idea what it takes to do what law enforcement officers do daily. Amerson was trying to correct mistakes that were obviously made by the boys family, and sometimes that takes more than what some people want to admit. The fact is, you can monday morning quarterback some blurry video all you want, but you and i were not there. Don't we live in such a grand country where people have the freedom to bash officials without cause or merit? The family of this boy doesn't truly care what happened, all they see are dollar signs, and that is perpetuated by corrupt people like ben little and the rest of you that jumped on the bandwagon. I just ask that you research and get all the facts that you can before you make outrageous statements in public forum and embarrass yourself.
    scarllett5 wrote on Sunday, Apr 17 at 10:20 PM
      OperationCleanSlate I'm not embarrassed it should be Sheriff Amerson and his supporters of this outrageous behavior that should be embarrassed. The last time I checked there still is a constitution that provides for civil rights and the right not to be beaten unjustly by law enforcement officials.
    HowWordHues wrote on Monday, Apr 18 at 07:05 AM
      scarllett5,

You state that there is a constitution that provides for civil rights. Yes that is true. You seem to have forgotten that rights go both ways. The Sheriff is not on trial but some people already have him convicted.

Ever heard of the term, "innocent until proven guilty"?
    licketysplit wrote on Thursday, Apr 21 at 11:02 AM
      Ben Little spoke out against the Sheriff? Isn't that like Satan calling a demon "evil?"
    anniston1 wrote on Thursday, Apr 28 at 10:55 AM
      Ben Little and his crew can organize a huge group to protest or march any day of the week. I am just wondering if he organized his group today to help in the recovery efforts of all of the communities devastated by these tornadoes. I sure hope he did. They should all come together to HELP someone instead of always protesting against them.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Circuit judge: Juvenile drug court program will continue
    « Reply #66 on: June 08, 2011, 01:51:56 AM »
    This article continues the saga of family court Judge Brenda Stedham seizing control over sentencing decisions which potentially involve alternative programs such as the controversial "Success Academy" at the Calhoun County Jail:

Circuit judge: Juvenile drug court program will continue

by Cameron Steele · Star Staff Writer · Anniston Star
    Apr 17, 2011

The presiding family court judge for Calhoun and Cleburne counties said she plans to continue operating and sending youthful offenders to juvenile drug court, and the chief juvenile probation officer says she has the authority to do so under Alabama law.

Judge Brenda Stedham of the 7th Circuit decided last week to oversee all juvenile delinquency and dependency cases and all alternative sentencing programs for juveniles, such as the drug court.

Stedham's move prompted Calhoun County District Attorney Brian McVeigh to announce he would temporarily discontinue prosecutorial referrals of juveniles to drug court and adults to family drug court until he knew more about how the programs would operate under Stedham.

But court officials said Tuesday that section 12-15-215 of Alabama law gives Stedham, as the presiding judge in juvenile court, the ultimate authority to send youthful offenders to drug court or other alternative programs, even if an attorney objects to the court's decision.

The code reads that the juvenile court has the right to order juvenile delinquents to "local, public, or private agency, organization, or facility willing and able to assume the education, care, and maintenance of the child and which is licensed or otherwise authorized by law to receive and provide care for children."

The code states that the juvenile court can "make any other order as the juvenile court in its discretion shall deem to be for the welfare and best interests of the child, including random drug screens, assessment of fines not to exceed two hundred fifty dollars ($250), and restitution against the parent, legal guardian, legal custodian, or child, as the juvenile court deems appropriate."

She can...

"Under the state code of Alabama, the judge has the authority to order any child or any family under the jurisdiction of this court into any program under the jurisdiction of this court, including drug courts; it is totally her decision," Chief Juvenile Probation Officer Randy Reaves said. "Once Judge Stedham took it over, it is her sole responsibility ... other people can make recommendations as to whether they think it's appropriate or not appropriate, but it is the sole decision of Judge Stedham."

McVeigh said Monday that his only comment was to reiterate that — for now — prosecutors would not refer juveniles to the juvenile drug court or other alternative sentencing programs until he had a better understanding of what, if anything, about the programs would change under Stedham's leadership.

Stedham said she and McVeigh have talked "at least once about how there will be no change to the programs" other than that she plans to supervise them. McVeigh declined to comment.

Those programs were started six years ago by Judge Laura Phillips, the district judge for family court. Phillips ran the programs and oversaw half of the area juvenile delinquency cases until Stedham's decision.

Phillips said last week that she was under the impression that the juvenile and family drug courts could not continue without the stamp of approval from the DA.

...or she can't?

Another section of Alabama law seems to suggest that drug court programs must have the DA's consent, seemingly contradicting what Reaves said about Stedham having ultimate decision-making authority as to whether delinquent juveniles will be enrolled in a drug court program.

The Alabama Drug Offender Accountability Act of 2010, section 12-23 of Alabama law, states "the presiding judge of each judicial circuit, with the consent of the district attorney of that judicial circuit, may establish a drug court or courts, under which drug offenders shall be processed, to appropriately address the identified substance abuse problem of- the drug offender as a condition of pretrial release, pretrial diversion, probation, jail, prison, parole, community corrections, or other release or diversion from a correctional facility."

But both Reaves and Stedham said Tuesday that state law specifically applies to adult courts and has no bearing on what happens in juvenile court.

Stedham said the language used in the 2010 act applied only to adult offenders, noting that adult facilities like "jail" and "prison" were mentioned in the law but that the code made no specific mention of juvenile detention or the Department of Youth Services.

Also, the law defines "drug court" as a "judicial intervention program for drug offenders in the criminal division of the circuit or district court," but makes no specific mention of juvenile court.

Still, the law doesn't specifically exclude juvenile drug courts or juvenile offenders either, and it states that "all drug courts shall comply with this act."

Deciding to act

Phillips said Monday she still has no idea why Stedham used her authority as presiding judge in family court to take the drug courts out from under Phillips' supervision, especially because she was the person who sought funding for and helped to create the programs in the first place.

Stedham and Phillips have talked about the changes only once since Stedham issued a statement last Thursday.

For her part, Stedham has said she made the decision to better ensure "that juveniles are being dealt with properly" and "that each juvenile's civil rights will be fully protected."

Stedham told The Star she could not comment on whether her decision was related to a Calhoun County Sheriff's Office program that allowed suspended-from-school students and juvenile offenders to spend time at the county jail, wearing inmate jumpsuits and performing menial tasks at the request of corrections officers.

That program is tied to a recently published video that shows Sheriff Larry Amerson using manual force on a shackled and handcuffed juvenile who participated in that program. The FBI is investigating that video and a federal lawsuit filed against Amerson makes allegations that juveniles who participated in the jail program came into contact with inmates.

The value of sentencing options

Phillips said the juvenile and family drug courts she ran had nothing to do with the Sheriff's Office program and were models for other drug courts in the state.

"I'm extraordinarily passionate about my kids and my family drug courts," Phillips said. "I'm dedicated to that; I honestly don't know why this has happened."

Phillips said the juvenile and family drug courts also save the Department of Youth Services and the Department of Human Resources time and money by successfully rehabilitating kids and parents with drug problems for less than it would cost those two state agencies to do so.

It costs about $100,000 a year to run both drug courts, Phillips said. And the juvenile drug court has helped to reduce the juvenile recidivism rate, said Cyndi Haynes, the drug courts coordinator.

Haynes said that out of the 50 juveniles who went through the drug court in 2010, 78 percent have not committed another delinquent act. But Haynes couldn't provide numbers about what the recidivism rate is for juvenile delinquents who do not attend drug court programs and are instead committed to DYS care.

DYS spokesman Allen Peaton said Tuesday that he can't specifically speak to how well drug court programs work in terms of reducing juvenile recidivism but did verify those types of alternative sentencing programs save money for state detention facilities for juveniles.

He said, in general, it costs between $135 and $145 per day per juvenile who is simply detained in one those facilities, not to mention any in-house rehabilitation costs DYS might incur while that juvenile is there.

Both Peaton and Peter Johnson, a retired Birmingham judge and the chairman of the Alabama Drug Court Task Force, agreed with Haynes that alternative sentencing programs and juvenile drug courts are more effective in many ways than incarceration because their focus is on rehabilitation.

"All of the national research and literature suggest kids do better in programs within the home communities; the outcomes are consistently better," Peaton said.

Johnson noted that 16 Alabama counties now have family and juvenile drug courts and 57 counties have adult drug courts.

Keeping the programs alive

Stedham emphasized Monday it was not her intent to do away with the drug courts already in place.

"I plan to continue and to evaluate the programs to see if they need to be modified or if they are working well just the way they are," Stedham said. "I think once the prosecutors realize that there's no major change being made other than the judge who's being assigned to those drug courts, yes, I think they'll cooperate and be willing to agree."

McVeigh said Calhoun and Cleburne counties have benefited from Phillips' work in establishing the programs for juveniles and in seeking and obtaining funding for those programs.

"Those programs are a vital part today of our juvenile court system," McVeigh said.

Stedham and Phillips have both expressed that sentiment, too.

"They continue to operate just as they operated two weeks ago until I make some different determination, and I have no interest in terminating them," Stedham said.

Star staff writer Cameron Steele: 256-235-3562.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "Circuit judge: Juvenile drug court program..."
    « Reply #67 on: June 08, 2011, 01:01:35 PM »
    A coupla lengthy comments left for the above article, "Circuit judge: Juvenile drug court program will continue" (by Cameron Steele; Apr 17, 2011; The Anniston Star):

Generations wrote on Sunday, Apr 17 at 09:54 AM
      The presiding judge obviously has problems with Phillips. This we should know why. The public is prohibited from seeing how she works, but it is clear Phillips has been doing this a long time. Order DHR do this, order Sheriff to do that. Order drug court. Assembly line and kids land where they may. Consequences long term? Spending money left and right and strive for children to remain on welfare? Welfare that is going away. It is what the book says, right judge? Costing society what? Maybe it is time for her to enter the private sector and run her own business, rather than kid's business, at taxpayer expense. Judgeships seem to be the family business. Her sister has already switched to the Republican party to ensure reelection to her judgeship. Opportunistic, huh? Phillips should provide some answers. So far, Phillips is just moaning loss of authority, which is telling. WHY did Stedham do this, Phillips? Answer the question. Something you usually don't have to do, huh? McVeigh is coming across as an ally. Does DA McVeigh really want to do this? Maybe he can answer the question for you. Be accountable. Is it personal? It is just kids. If it is personal, maybe you and Stedham both need to get out of there. Still seems like infighting. With children at stake. Otherwise, why would Judge Stedham have taken such an abrupt action. It was in the public interest (God knows the public or political party knows best) to make Stedham presiding judge. Perhaps to help prevent Phillips from destroying lives? Does the presiding judge not know what she is doing? Then why is she there? If Phillips did not know she had a rogue program with a rogue Sheriff's office, completely behind the Commissions (taxpayers) back, what does that make her? Incompetent at best. What code section covers that, Judge Phillips? What precedent covers that? Are you overwhelmed? Should you resign? Surely, it is not personal. Surely you are not just a hanger on to draw judicial retirement. Not with so much on the line.
    newshound1921 wrote on Tuesday, Apr 19 at 04:53 PM
      One thing about a public forum is the freedom to say what you want. That doesn't make it accurate. The prior post is long on accusation and short on information.

One matter can be answered: Judge Stedham is the Presiding Family Court Judge because that is the “slot” office she holds. Our Circuit and District Court positions, when created, are specific. Judge Stedham hold the only Family Court slot filled by a Circuit Court Judge, hence she is the presiding Family Court Judge. Judge Jack Hughes held that slot for a long period of time, then current District Judge Bankson held it for 2 years.

Judge Phillips' slot is a District Judge slot (the District Court is a very important position, but it does not have the broad powers of a Circuit Court). Judge Phillips' slot has been for years a second Family Court judgeship in our courthouse. That slot was held for many years by R. Allen Crow. Judge Phillips was appointed to the slot by Gov. Riley when Judge Crow retired before the end of the term he was serving. Two years later, Judge Phillips was elected, without opposition, to a full 6 year term. She’s pretty qualified for the job, having served as an Asst. DA for a number of years, and knowing a great deal about the justice system.

And I don't understand the comments about "order this, order that". That's what courts do: issue Orders. That what Judges do: write Orders.

You do Judge Phillips, and the community she works very hard to serve, a disservice by your comments. I don't know the dynamics of what transpires at the courthouse, and really don't care to know. Both Judges are honest, hard working, and trying to do the right thing. Even if there is a disagreement between them, they still try to do the right thing. They make mistakes; we all do. And don't expect Judges to always agree; putting on a black robe does not mean you're suddenly immune to making mistakes and other human behavior. And if Judges didn’t make mistakes, why would we need courts of appeals and supreme courts (which also make mistakes).

Your attack on Brian McVeigh is equally undeserved and unfounded. He was the Chief Asst. DA for years, and has a lengthy track record easily available to anyone who asks one or two of the dozens of lawyers who engage in criminal defense work as part of their practice. I wouldn't expect them all to love him, but I would be very surprised if they had negative opinions of his character, or the motives behind his actions. My understanding is that he is a straight shooter, and a darn good prosecutor. A District Attorney prosecutes, and usually convicts, people who didn't want to be prosecuted and convicted. There are always people who will speak ill of the DA. Our area has had the good fortune to have had excellent District Attorneys for decades in Bob Field and then Joe Hubbard (and if anyone in the courthouse ever worked harder than Joe Hubbard, it's a well kept secret), and Brian McVeigh is quite likely to be just like them. Joe Hubbard would never have made Brian McVeigh the Chief Assistant DA if Brian wasn't qualified and capable.

If you are interested in the people whose lives are affected by the Family Court, like the children you mention, how about contacting your state legislators and telling them how much more could be done for those children and families if the Family Court were adequately funded, which it is not? Then Judges wouldn't have to spend time securing funding for things like Drug Courts, which keep our children out of juvenile incarceration facilities where they would preyed upon by the worst of the worst.

No offense intended, I think 90% of the public here and across the nation has no idea how bad things are in the justice system, civil and criminal, youth and adult. It’s lack of money, and lack of interest. The judiciary is supposed to be a third branch of government equal to the Executive and Legislative branches. But when you look at the funding each branch gets, the judicial system gets next to nothing by comparison. We all want what we want, but do we want to pay for what we want? No, we don't.

Most folks don't know and don't care about the judicial or justice system until they or a loved one becomes involved in it. Then it's baptism by fire, and it's sad that some people emerge feeling burned. Some of that is unavoidable, the rest is avoidable, but it takes people and money.

When we don't understand how a system functions, it's understandable, and easy, to blame the people whose faces we saw. The reality of judicial systems, ours included, is not black and white, it's a hundred shades of gray with too few people trying to push too many case results away from darkness and towards the light. It would be great if those people had more help, and more support from us. Even when they're wrong.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Star misportrayed Amerson
    « Reply #68 on: June 09, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
    Another Letter to the Editor...

Star misportrayed Amerson

Apr 24, 2011

I am deeply disappointed in The Star's obvious bias in recent articles about Calhoun County Sheriff Larry Amerson. The coward who furnished the video to The Star hides behind a cloak of anonymity, while attempting to destroy the career of a man who has spent his entire adult life keeping your family safe.

I have known Amerson for more than 30 years, and he is not the man The Star has attempted to paint him to be.

Jack Amberson
    Alexandria

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Amerson's actions were justified
    « Reply #69 on: June 10, 2011, 06:05:32 PM »
    Yet another Letter to the Editor from the Sheriff Amerson Fan Club...

Amerson's actions were justified

Apr 24, 2011

I have known Calhoun County Sheriff Larry Amerson all his life; we ran around together and went to school together. Larry, like all of us, has faults. However, what he is being accused of, I simply cannot believe. If you look at the facts in the case, I will be proven correct.

First, Larry did not have anything to gain by admitting this kid to the program at the jail. There is no money to be made and no incentives to be gained by Larry or the Sheriff's Department. Larry was only trying to help a parent with an unruly child. The parent voluntarily enrolled and dropped the child off to participate in the program.

Could more restraint have been shown? Certainly. Could more force have been used? Certainly. Emotions can be high when you are trying to save a child from a life of possible imprisonment. In Larry's position, he has certainly seen it all, young and old, lives devastated by crime. Could "just one" have been saved by realizing they should change the road they are going down? I personally commend Larry for the restraint he did show.

Kids need to realize that any jail is not a good place, there is no future there, and they should be deterred from going in that direction.

Amerson will go down as the best sheriff Calhoun County has ever had.

Thank you, Larry, for the great job you do in providing protection and support for Calhoun County.

Jeff Dickerson
    Ohatchee

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Re: Amerson's actions were justified
    « Reply #70 on: June 12, 2011, 11:37:27 AM »
    Quote from: "Jeff Dickerson, in a letter to the Anniston Star,"
    ...I personally commend Larry for the restraint he did show.

Kids need to realize that any jail is not a good place, there is no future there, and they should be deterred from going in that direction.

Amerson will go down as the best sheriff Calhoun County has ever had.

Thank you, Larry, for the great job you do in providing protection and support for Calhoun County.

Let's go back over some of the pertinent FACTS in this case:

Photo: Special to The Anniston Star

[li]Not convicted of any crime,
        [li]Handcuffed,[/li]
        [li]Shackled,[/li]
        [li]14 years old, and[/li]
        [li]Not offering any resistance.
        [/li][/list][/li][/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Comments: "Amerson's actions were justified"
        « Reply #71 on: June 16, 2011, 10:16:04 PM »
        A comment left for the above Letter to the Editor, "Amerson's actions were justified" (by Jeff Dickerson; Apr 24, 2011; The Anniston Star):

licketysplit wrote on Tuesday, May 10 at 11:21 AM
          The only thing Mr. Dickerson is going to be proven of is his inability to research what justifies the use of force regarding detainees and the use of force by law enforcement personnel.

The Sheriff exercised restraint? Are you blind?

Could more force be used? Not legally. As a matter of fact, he overdid it.

I am a former jailer. If one of us had been caught on tape doing as much as Sheriff Amerson did, we would have been fired on the spot once it had been revealed. No matter what the kid did, he was in restraints. Any use of force is a major no-no. Don't believe me? Look up the State of Alabama use of force...you can find it online.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Paul Rilling: Star did its job fairly
        « Reply #72 on: June 19, 2011, 10:49:58 AM »
        Former Anniston Star editor Paul Rilling, now retired, chimes in with his sage assessment of how news coverage has been of late:

Paul Rilling: Star did its job fairly

Anniston Star
        Apr 29, 2011

A sensitive and complex story reported by The Star in April concerned a brief video showing Calhoun County Sheriff Larry Amerson using manual force on a restrained person (March 31, Page 1A). Seven additional articles followed, all by Cameron Steele (May 1 through May 7).

There was criticism of The Star's coverage by the sheriff and by several readers. Star Editor Bob Davis defended the paper's reporting in his column (April 3, 3E).

The video was provided to The Star by a "source requesting anonymity." Newspapers avoid anonymous source stories when possible. When a paper uses such information, it usually tells the readers why the source didn't want to be identified and provides some information about the source. The Star did none of this in this story.

Davis wrote in his column, "...[i ]n our judgment, the video in question stood alone as a moment in time, regardless of its source." The judgment was sound. The video was newsworthy regardless of the credibility or the motives of the anonymous source.

Alabama law seeks to protect juveniles from public identification. Amerson said The Star was placing itself "above the law" by showing the face of the other person involved in the video, a juvenile. On this point, you can judge for yourself by viewing the video on The Star's website. The Star digitally altered the face in the video. Can you see the person clearly enough to identify him? I could not.

Lindsey Gilliam, director of Family Links, a social agency that works closely with the sheriff's office, told The Star, "I think the sheriff is being cast in a negative light." She may be right. The repetition of the details shown in the video in story after story may create a negative impression.

However, the May 1 article was a clear effort to show fairness. It included a series of favorable character references about Amerson by people who know him and have worked closely with him. The sheriff did not talk freely with the media to provide his side of the incident because of possible litigation in the case.

Did The Star have to report the details of the video in every story? Maybe not, but journalists are trained to write each story as complete, because some readers have not read the previous articles.

Readers James Mink of Heflin and Thomas Bryant of Weaver were right in their letters to Speak Out. Mink wrote that, "The video clip that everyone saw is not the whole story, it is only a small glimpse of what happened." Wrote Bryant, "... [W]e have not heard 'the rest of the story.' "

A newspaper can only publish what it can find out. It can't hold the story for weeks or months until "the rest of the story" is available.  In covering this story, The Star did its job as fairly as it could.

More detail needed

Two stories in April reported efforts by members of the board of trustees of the retirement fund for Anniston police officers and firefighters to work with the Anniston City Council to resolve the financial problems of the fund (April 14 and 22, both 1A).

The stories, by Steele, included much information about the fund's finances, but told readers little about how the fund operates. How many members serve on its board of trustees? How are they selected? Who makes investment decisions?

As mentioned above, it is standard practice for one story on a subject to include information from an earlier story so readers are up to date. The April 22 story quoted eight paragraphs from the April 14 story verbatim, a questionable way of providing background.

Name the reporter

The slander suit by Anniston resident Curtis Ray against Anniston Mayor Gene Robinson over an alleged Robinson remark was tried and ended in a not-guilty jury verdict (April 19, 20, 21 and 22). The stories, by Laura Johnson and Laura Camper, provided good trial coverage. The pre-story, April 19, which summarized the background of the case, did not mention a key point in Robinson's defense, that he now denies making the remark to a Star reporter about "black corruption," which led to the suit. The second story, April 20, reported that Robinson filed an affidavit in December 2010 denying making the remark.

The trial included numerous references to the former Star reporter who wrote the original story quoting Robinson's comment. But, oddly, the reporter was never named. In his column after the trial, Editor Davis mentioned the reporter by name, Megan Nichols, and said he had recently exchanged e-mails with her (April 24, 3E). Why was her name never mentioned during the trial coverage? Was there some sort of legal problem?

Paul Rilling is a retired former editor at The Star.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Blame where it belongs
        « Reply #73 on: June 23, 2011, 10:46:54 AM »
        And... another Letter to the Editor from the Sheriff Amerson Fan Club...

Blame where it belongs

May 02, 2011

What I saw on the video was a clear case of a young man out of control. An officer, in this case Calhoun County Sheriff Larry Amerson, had to deal with the problem.

Why are so many people ready to crucify a veteran law enforcement officer instead of an out-of-control young man? If this juvenile did not need supervision and control, he would not have been in this program.

To me, it comes back to the upbringing of an out-of-control delinquent. Back your law enforcement and quit pampering these kids. In the end, they will?end up in jail or dead.

This kid would not have been there if he were not a problem. So get off Amerson's case and put the blame where it belongs.

Ken Fink
        Oxford

Offline Wh??ter

• View Profile
        Re: Unknown program in Calhoun County
        « Reply #74 on: June 23, 2011, 10:49:51 AM »
        To me, it comes back to the upbringing of an out-of-control delinquent. Back your law enforcement and quit pampering these kids. In the end, they will end up in jail or dead.

This poster is exactly right.  Obviously this kid has severe problems and was acting out.  Somebody had to deal with him.  I would have preferred that he got sent to a program where his problems could be addressed fully and effectively, but the Sheriff had to do something.