Author Topic: Unknown program in Calhoun County  (Read 17177 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Legality of jail program questioned
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »
Moving right along...

The Calhoun County Sheriff's Office may claim it's not a "Scared Straight" program, but it sure sounds like one to me!

:ftard:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

The Anniston Star · Alabama

Legality of jail program questioned

by Cameron Steele · [email protected] · Anniston Star
Apr 06, 2011

The Calhoun County Jail is shown in this file photo from 2003.[/list]

A Calhoun County Sheriff's Office program for youthful offenders and suspended-from-school teenagers to work in the county jail sounds remarkably similar to programs banned by federal and state law, officials and child advocates say.

Those programs, commonly called "scared straight" or "shock incarceration" programs, became popular in the 1970s as a way to scare or shock youthful offenders or juveniles prone to misbehaving into more appropriate behavior, a policy expert at the Washington D.C.-based Coalition for Juvenile Justice said.

But a range of state and national juvenile-justice officials said that years of research have proven the scared straight concept to be in error; those same officials say that such programs are violations of the federal and Alabama laws, which prohibit youthful offenders from being detained or confined in adult corrections facilities.

And all of those officials say the description of a Calhoun County program jointly run by the Sheriff's Office and Family Links, Inc., a children's behavior task force for the county, falls under the umbrella of those legally questionable programs.

The program has come under scrutiny since The Anniston Star published a video last week that shows Sheriff Larry Amerson using manual force against a boy in a jail jumpsuit. A lawsuit filed Tuesday by the boy's mother claims he was at the jail as part of a scared-straight program.

The sheriff's office says the program doesn't qualify as a scared-straight program and says it's a way for children to perform community service when they might otherwise be unsupervised.

Only a few details of the program have been made available to the public. But child advocates say it sounds like a scared-straight program.

"This (Calhoun County) jail program, while well-intentioned, I wouldn't spend my money on it," said Linda Tilly, the executive director of Voices for Alabama's Children, a state children's advocacy group. "It wouldn't have much impact in changing behavior... This (Calhoun County) program sounds like it has the same intent without going quite as far as most scared straight programs did. The point to me is this program doesn't get to the root of the behavior in the first place."

Tara Andrews, the deputy director of the national nonprofit agency Coalition for Juvenile Justice, said the Calhoun County program might not be as hardcore as some scared straight programs, but said its operations are still questionable.

"It may not be as extreme in that the young person isn't being turned over to the custody of the prisoners, but you don't have all the details so you don't really know what happens, or what goes on," Andrews said. "I would label it a scared straight program. The goal is to frighten the young person; it's negative reinforcement."

Sheriff's Office: Not a scared straight program

Multiple attempts to reach Calhoun County Sheriff Larry Amerson, Chief Deputy Mathew Wade and Family Links Director Lyndsey Gillam to discuss the details of the jail program were unsuccessful Tuesday.

But a news release posted on the Sheriff's Office website Monday stated the juvenile jail program was not a scared straight program but, instead, 'an opportunity for community service."

"The program is intended to give parents an alternative to having their children unsupervised while out on suspension. The activities will be structured in an environment that will educate the student about responsibility, respect and discipline under the direct supervision of a corrections officer," the release said. "The child will be required to perform manual labor tasks such as cutting grass and cleaning."

The release also noted that juveniles who participate in the program do not have direct contact with inmates, one of the main issues juvenile justice officials have with scared straight programs in general.

Other than the release, Amerson and Gillam have provided scant details about the juvenile jail program, except to say in interviews with The Star last week, that the Sheriff's Office and Family Links began the program as a way to let high-risk kids see what jail might be like.

But that kind of reasoning is exactly what Andrews is talking about.

"That's what makes it a scared straight program: 'let me show you what prison life looks like to scare you away from prison life,' " Andrews said.

Anthony Petrosino, a senior researcher at a Massachusetts nonprofit dedicated to researching and children's education and development, has spent much of his career studying scared straight programs.

"If we were doing a review of these programs now, we would include this (Calhoun County) program as a juvenile awareness program that attempts to deter them (juveniles) or scare them," Petrosino said.

How the Calhoun County program works

Juvenile justice officials say that the details the sheriff has provided about the way the jail program is structured indicate the program may be in violation of federal and state law.

Parents sign a waiver for their children to arrive at the jail at 8 a.m. and to be picked up by 3:30 p.m. While at the jail, the juveniles dress in orange-striped inmate jumpsuits, eat the food that is served to the inmates and perform menial labor tasks under the supervision of jail officers, Amerson has said.

Gillam noted last week the program was only for students who have been suspended from school or youthful offenders who have been ordered by the court to attend the Success Academy, which is a Family Links service program.

Parents of youthful offenders who act violently at the Success Academy or threaten violence are given options.

The juvenile's probation officer can be contacted and he or she might have to face a family judge in court again, or the parents can sign a waiver and allow their children to participate in the jail program as "kind of our last step" before having to go back to juvenile court, Gillam has said.

Juvenile justice officials question program legality

What bothers most juvenile justice officials about those descriptions of the program is that the federal Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act (JJPDA) expressly prohibits youthful offenders from having any sort of sight or sound contact with inmates.

Furthermore, the Alabama Juvenile Justice Act restricts children under public authority — like the ones who are Success Academy students — from being "in secure custody in a secure section of a jail, lockup or correctional facility for adults as a disposition of an offense or as a means of modifying his or her behavior."

"If the child is under public authority, if they take kids in and handcuff to them any sort of unmovable object, that's a violation (of federal and Alabama law). If they lock them in anywhere, if they (the children) are behind any locked door, that's a violation," said Joe Vignati, the coordinator for the Governor's Office of Children and Families in Georgia.

Basically any sight or sound contact, "meaning the juveniles can be seen or heard by adult inmates," are violations of federal law, Vignati and Andrews said.

And the waiver the Sheriff's Office has parents sign does not "relieve the violations of the JJPDA act," Vignati said.

Details about where exactly in the jail juveniles work, how long the program has operated, how many juveniles have participated in it and how much it costs to run the program are unclear. Requests to provide The Star with paperwork that document the procedures and history of the jail program went unanswered Monday and Tuesday.

Alabama Department of Corrections spokesman Brian Corbett said it is DOC policy not to allow youthful offenders to even tour state prisons, because that would be a violation of the Alabama Juvenile Justice Act.

'Different developmentally and physically'

Officials point out that localities or states in violation of the federal law could stand to lose federal funding through U.S. Department of Justice grants.

"Folks take this (federal law) and get emotional about it, but realistically we have two separate systems: we recognize that kids are different from adults," Vignati said. "The reason isn't to mollycoddle kids or to be soft on kids; the reason is to recognize they are different developmentally and physically from adults."

And scared straight programs don't pay enough attention to that difference, juvenile-justice officials say.

"Juveniles who went through scared straight, and similar types of programs like it, committed more new delinquent offenses than the juveniles not exposed to the program," Petrosino said of a 2003 review he and other scholars conducted on the effects of scared straight programs.

Petrosino said the information available about the Calhoun County program indicating that it isn't technically a scared straight program is inaccurate.

"This sounds like they've toned down on the language, but it's interesting, they've increased the experience of incarceration...putting kids in the inmate clothes, working around the jail," he said.

Contact Star Staff Cameron Steele at 256-235-3562.

Copyright © 2011 Anniston Star.
    « Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "Legality of jail program questioned"
    « Reply #46 on: May 09, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »
    Comments left for the above article, "Legality of jail program questioned" (by Cameron Steele; Apr 06, 2011; Anniston Star), #s 1-10:

LorettaNall wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 05:50 AM
      My, my,, my, my, my..........So the sheriffs office is operating an illegal program involving juveniles? Had a friend ask around about Family Links Inc. and learned that they got a lot of their funding from Bob Riley's "faith based' nonsense programs and ADECA. Did the sheriff's office profit from this in any way? Funny how the person in charge of enforcing the law is breaking the law with this program. When you look at the video it looks sort of like the good sheriff is trying to mount that kid. Seriously........
    jville wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 09:34 AM
      lorettanail, you should apply for a job with the star. Your writting style is exactly like what they print, TRASH!!!!

You mush not have been happy with your living arrangement in the county jail.
    LorettaNall wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 10:23 AM
      jville...I take your intended slight as a compliment. It just so happens that I think the Star is the best paper in this state and working for them would be an honor. So, thank you.

As for the rest of your comment...hehehe...I've never been in the Calhoun county jail son. Why are you of the mindset that everyone who disagrees with your opinion on this is a criminal or a criminal sympathizer? Perhaps some of us care about the standards that law enforcement, who we pay through taxes, are held to. They don't get to break the law while enforcing those same laws on the rest of us. Allowing such a thing would lead to a police state. If you like the idea of living in a place where the people tasked with enforcing the law are not required to follow it themselves I can make some suggestions of where you would fit in and be happy.
    arizonagirl wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 10:31 AM
      jville: why is it that when the media reports something positive about the law enforcement agencies in this area, you say they are practicing 'fair and balanced' journalism.

BUT, when the media reports the truth / the absolute honest facts about the corruption in the law enforcement agencies in this area, in this case the Calhoun County Sherrifs Office, you call it trash?

You and your biased opinons are neither fair nor balanced and you make yourself look unbalanced!
    ImpartialTruth wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 10:37 AM
      Cameron--this should have been the FIRST story published. The video never should have made it to the paper.

It seems like you intended to enact positive change in the juvenile justice system, and I have no issue with that. But from an ethical standpoint, you could have enacted change by starting with this story, and putting the pieces together from there. Fanning the flames of racial division does nothing useful for our society.

You have lost my confidence as a fair and balanced reporter.
    John5299 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 12:17 PM
      "I have been in the editorial business going on fourteen years, and it is the first time I ever heard of a man's having to know anything in order to edit a newspaper." Mark Twain
    nonhyphenatedAmerican wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 12:40 PM
      For anyone who thinks the Star is the best "paper" in the state , you must be smoking something ! LOL
    tugboat2 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 12:42 PM
      What jail have you been carried to? I know but just had to ask
    tugboat2 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 12:45 PM
      i mean Loretta what jail have you been carried to?
    luvinmylife wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 01:31 PM
      I considered sending my child through this program if and when she was suspended from school.I called the sheriff office to learn more about the program and was told they would be picking up trash and things of that nature.I was not told that they would be interacting with adult inmates period.I was not told that if she acted out she would be placed in handcuffs and shackles and be abused.I wonder why,lol!!!Anybody with any sense knows that violence is not the answer.The sheriff and the deputies involved acted irresposible and for their actions they have to be held accountable.The very ones that we entrust to ensure our safety violated this childs rights.PERIOD.By the way,keep up the great work Ms.Steele...thank you for keeping us loving,devoted,caring,taxpaying,nonviolent and never been to jail parents informed.We as parents have the right to know when our children are being abused.We as parents have to devote our lives to making sure our children know right from wrong.If his mom thought it was ok for him to be suspended why whould she care that he was home alone??She cared so much that she dropped him off to the one place he should of been safe going to....what a disgrace for a program that I even once thought might benefit some of our "not perfect teens"...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Family Links, Inc. - Success Academy
    « Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »
    Here's what is currently on the Family Links site as a descriptive for Success Academy; seems kinda vague, if you ask me....

Family Links, Inc. - Success Academy

Through cooperation with the Juvenile Court of Calhoun County, and funding through the Department of Youth Services (DYS), Family Links has developed the Success Academy. The purpose of the Academy is to provide an educational and therapeutic safety net to prevent juvenile offenders from being committed to the Department of Youth Services custody.

Youth ages 13-18 are referred by Juvenile Court.

The program includes academic remediation and school credit recovery for those youth too young to be eligible for a GED. Any youth eligible for a GED who choose to return to school may be eligible for a diploma. Each student is assigned a laptop computer to be used in class. GED classes are coordinated with Gadsden State Community College. The course of instruction includes Math, English/Literature, Science, and Social Studies, with various other classes offered, including physical education, health, keyboarding, basic computer applications, filmmaking, and community service.

The Calhoun/Cleburne Mental Health Center provides individual and group counseling.

The Academy operates on a ten month school schedule, meeting the local school systems' schedule of 202 academic days per calendar year. The basic structure will be ten weeks on and two weeks off, providing students and staff with rejuvenation breaks, while not allowing too long a time lapse for students to have to "re-learn" what they have already been taught.

The court will require parents to attend Parent Project classes, which is a ten week program to teach parents better methods of dealing with resistant children.

256.820.5911 - P.O. Box 5072 McClellan, AL 36205

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Suit describes verbal, physical threats against boy...
    « Reply #48 on: May 11, 2011, 12:11:53 AM »
    More details about the lawsuit emerge (link to online copy of lawsuit in article)...

Check out the below still from that video. The 14-year-old kid is handcuffed, shackled, and had his head turned away from the sheriff just prior to the sheriff getting on top of him like that. I guess Sheriff Amerson didn't feel he was being given an appreciative enough reception, eh?

Think that kid will be "scared straight?" Lol. They'll be lucky if he doesn't grow up to be a law-enforcement-hating vigilante.

Video on YouTube: post containing links

Suit describes verbal, physical threats against boy before encounter with sheriff

Apr 06, 2011

Photo: Special to The Star[/list]

An Anniston woman alleges in a federal lawsuit that a Calhoun County deputy and jail officers verbally and physically threatened her 14-year-old son in the hours before Sheriff Larry Amerson used manual force on him while the boy was shackled and handcuffed.

Stacy Brown filed a civil rights lawsuit against Amerson and a deputy – identified only as "Deputy Ward" – in the U.S. District Court for Northern Alabama in Birmingham.

The suit stems from the day that Brown's son – identified only as J.B. – spent at the jail on Feb. 4 as part of a "scared straight" program for teenagers who've been suspended from school or others who've committed minor crimes and are under the jurisdiction of the juvenile courts.

A video obtained and published by The Star last week shows part of an encounter between the boy and Amerson that day; in the video, Amerson is seen grabbing and holding down a boy dressed in an orange-striped jumpsuit. The boy, whom the suit identifies as J.B., is shackled and has his hands cuffed behind his back during the incident.

"The Sheriff obviously did not fear for his safety or for the safety of others. At the time Sheriff Amerson grabbed him by the neck the first time to choke him, J.B. was turned and leaning away from the Sheriff in fear of what the Sheriff would do to him," the suit states. "J.B. was very nervous and scared, while the Sheriff was very calm and deliberate before the violence ensued."

The suit also states that J.B. asked Amerson to unchain him and "fight like a man."

View the lawsuit filed by Stacy Brown against Calhoun Co. Sheriff Larry Amerson (Adobe Flash Player)[/list]

Brown is seeking $500,000 each in compensatory damages for what the suit calls violations of her son's civil rights, as well as $500,000 each in punitive damages against Amerson and Ward.

The lawsuit says Ward and the other officers used racial slurs to address J.B. and threatened violence.

Contacted by The Star this morning, Brown said she could not comment on her son's case.

Reached Wednesday Peyton Faulk, the Montgomery attorney representing Brown, said she had no official comment on the case at this time.

Attempts to reach Amerson this morning for comment on the suit have been unsuccessful.

The program under which the boy was present at the jail, as described in the suit, seems to run counter to a state law that bars such scared-straight programs. Experts in juvenile justice have told The Star that federal law also bars such programs, and that children are not to come in contact with jail or prison inmates. The suit describes contact between J.B. and inmates at the jail.

When J.B. said he was going to "call my momma," Ward and jail officers continued to make threats of violence, and one officer attempted to push J.B. to the ground, the suit states.

The suit says that after Ward made a negative statement about J.B.'s mother, J.B. was offended. "I do not give a damn who you are, if you say one more thing about my mom, we are gonna have a serious problem," the suit quotes J.B. as saying.

The suit also said J.B. "had his right first balled up at his side" and "his face in his left hand."

A jail officer asked if J.B. planned to try to beat him up and said if J.B. did, he would be placed in a cell with an adult inmate J.B. had spoken to earlier in the day, the suit alleges.

When J.B. began to direct swear words at the officer, the suit says, the officers handcuffed him, put him in a locked room and left him there for a time between one and two hours.

That's when Amerson came into the room to talk to J.B., the suit alleges.

"That is the point where the assault was captured on video," the suit states.

Later on, the suit claims that "J.B. suffered extensive physical injury, including, but not limited to, bruising around his neck and ears."

The suit states that Amerson has brought charges of criminal mischief and harassment against J.B.

Together, Amerson and Ward face four counts in the suit: use of excessive force, failure to prevent violations of J.B.'s rights, conspiracy to violate J.B.'s rights and violation of the boy's Fourteenth Amendment rights to due process. Amerson also is accused of deliberate indifference to protection of the boy's rights.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Text of Complaint - Brown v. Amerson, Case 1:11-cv-01182-RBP
        « Reply #49 on: May 14, 2011, 12:07:22 AM »
        Quote from: "Cameron Steele, for The Anniston Star,"
          View the lawsuit filed by Stacy Brown against Calhoun Co. Sheriff Larry Amerson (Adobe Flash Player)[/list]
          Text of the Complaint of that lawsuit follows below...

Also: alternate link for viewing (Complaint of said) lawsuit (Adobe Flash Player)

FILED
          2011 Apr-05 PM 01:29
          U.S. DISTRICT COURT
          N.D. OF ALABAMA

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
            FOR THE NORTHEASTERN DISTRICT OF ALABAMA
            EASTERN DIVISION

J.B., a minor, who sues by and through his mother and next friend,
          STACY BROWN,
          Plaintiff,

v.

SHERIFF LARRY AMERSON, in his official and individual capacities, and
          DEPUTY WARD, in his official and individual capacities,
          Defendants.

Civil Case No.
          JURY TRIAL DEMANDED[/list][/b]

COMPLAINT

COMES NOW Plaintiff, by and through his attorneys of record, and would show unto the Court as follows:

JURISDICTION and VENUE[/list]

1. Plaintiff files this Complaint and invokes the jurisdiction of this Court under and by virtue of the Fourth, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, 42 U.S.C. § 1983, 42 U.S.C. § 1985, 42 U.S.C. § 1986, 42 U.S.C. § 1988, 28 U.S.C. § 1331, 28 U.S.C. § 1343, 28 U.S.C. § 2201, 28 U.S.C. § 2202, and the doctrine of supplemental jurisdiction to obtain declaratory relief, and compensatory and punitive damages. Defendants violated Plaintiff's rights as guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States and by Federal law.

2. The violations of Plaintiff's rights as alleged herein occurred in Calhoun County, Alabama, and were committed with the Eastern Division of the Northern District of the State of Alabama.

PARTIES[/list]

3. Plaintiff J.B. is a minor child, 14 years of age, and is and at all times material hereto was a citizen of the United States and the State of Alabama. He sues by and through his mother and next friend, Stacy Brown (hereinafter, "Brown").

4. Defendant Sheriff Larry Amerson (hereinafter, "Sheriff Amerson"), a better denomination of whom is presently unknown to Plaintiff, is a natural person believed to be over the age of 19 years, is or was at all times material hereto an agent, employee, officer or Sheriff of Calhoun County, Alabama, and is a person whose conduct proximately and directly harmed Plaintiff.

5. Defendant Deputy Ward (hereinafter, "Ward"), a better denomination of whom is presently unknown to Plaintiff, is a natural person believed to be over the age of 19 years, is or was at all times material hereto an employee, officer or agent of the Sheriff of Calhoun County, Alabama, and is a person whose conduct proximately and directly harmed Plaintiff.

NATURE OF PROCEEDINGS[/list]

6. This is a proceeding declaring the relative rights, responsibilities and liabilities of the parties, each to the other, and for compensatory and punitive damages for Plaintiff's suffering as a consequence of the wrongs alleged herein.

FACTS[/list]

7. Plaintiff expressly adopts as if fully set forth herein the allegations in the foregoing paragraphs.

8. After getting into some trouble at school, J.B. was voluntarily enrolled by his mother, Stacy Brown, in the Calhoun County Sheriff's Department's "scared straight" program for troubled teens.

9. On or about February 4, 2011, Ms. Brown dropped J.B. off for his first day of the community service program.

10. About two hours after getting to the Calhoun County Jail, J.B. and another child were taken on a tour of the facility. During the tour they walked by the laundry room and the three guards leading the tour told the children to stop.

11. The guards then spoke to the inmates and asked the inmates if they wanted some little boys in there with them. The inmates said, "yes". One of the inmates stated, while pointing at J.B., "I want that little black one right there."

12. J.B. then asked Officer Ward if he could leave that area. Ward then took J.B. down to the corner and told him to face the wall. J.B. turned toward the wall, while facing the wall, he turned his head and scratched his face. Officer Ward told him to turn his face back to the wall. J.B. said he turned back around, he says he had an itch on his face again and turned his head to scratched it. Officer Ward then said to J.B., "you are going to do what I tell you to do." Officer Ward threatened, "I will slit your throat, cut your balls off, shove them down your throat, and stomp you until you bleed."

13. Officer Ward's leg was shaking because he was so angry. Officer Ward told J.B. to go to the front office and do push ups. J.B. was taken to the front office by another officer. Upon getting to the front office he was asked why he was sent there. J.B. told them (a woman and a man) what happened. J.B. sat there until lunch.

14. J.B. and the other child ate lunch and they took them on the rest of the tour where they spoke to an inmate named Douglas. While they were talking to Douglas, Officer Ward tapped J.B. on the shoulder and said, "If you tell on me again, see what happens." J.B. told him, "what you are going to put me up in the office again?"

15. Officer Ward stated "What are you going to do?" J.B. replied "I am going to call my momma." J.B. and Officer Ward exchanged words back and forth. Officer Ward said, "let's go call your mom."

16. They were walking in a corridor and when they got to a door, Officer Ward said to another officer, "do not let him out that door." Four officers (Names Unknown) then surrounded him and another officer (Name Unknown) said, "I just want some one to beat this nigger up."

17. J.B. then told the officer, "why don't you do it." That officer then took his belt and threw it to the side. He then got in J.B.'s face and started pushing him. J.B. squared his legs up to be able to handle the pushing without falling and when the officer tried to push him again he put his arms up in a cross like manner to protect himself and pushed back.

18. J.B. stated, "all of yall are dirty cops, and I am calling my mom and I am suing y'all." Officer Ward then said, "look here nigger, I do not give a damn if your mom is dirty." J.B. then stated, "hold on right there, before you say anything else, I do not give a damn who you are, if you say one more thing about my mom, we are gonna have a serious problem."

19. The officer said, "What? you gonna hit me in the face?" J.B. had his right fist balled up at his side and his face in his left hand. When J.B. moved his hand out of his face and looked up [at] the officer, the officer was already in his face. The officer said, "Do it and I will put you in there with Douglas."

20. J.B. began cussing at the officer. They handcuffed J.B. and put him in a room which he resisted after he was threatened with being locked up with an inmate. J.B. asked to call his mom. He was in the room for a long time, between one and two hours.

21. Sheriff Amerson came into the room. That is the point where the assault was captured on video. The video clearly shows Sheriff Amerson assaulting J.B., a 14 year old in handcuffs placed behind his back and shackles. Force may not be used gratuitously or as punishment. Any such use of force is unlawful.

22. Sheriff Amerson's attitude toward use of excessive violence is clear in the video as well. The Sheriff sat closely to the handcuffed and shackled 14 year old Plaintiff. The Sheriff sat relaxed, with his legs crossed toward the child, leaning toward him with his arm around him. The Sheriff obviously did not fear for his safety or for the safety of others.

23. At the time Sheriff Amerson grabbed him by the neck the first time to choke him, J.B. was turned and leaning away from the Sheriff in fear of what the Sheriff would do to him.

24. After the first round of choking, Sheriff Amerson continued to sit closely to J.B. with his arm around him. J.B. was very nervous and scared, while the Sheriff was very calm and deliberate before the video ensued. A short time later, a second assault on J.B. occurred.

25. J.B. was a child participating in a community service program for troubled teens, not an inmate, though such use of force against an inmate would be unlawful as well under the circumstances.

26. J.B. told Sheriff Amerson, "[y]ou are doing all this to me while I am locked up. I bet you will not take this off and go outside with me. You are sitting up here hitting me while I am chained up, why don't you take them off and let's go outside in the hall way and fight me like a man." Amerson unhooked him and while they were walking out the door, Amerson grabbed J.B. by his uniform. J.B. slipped away. When they got in the hallway, the Sheriff got in J.B.'s face.

27. The other officers surrounded and handcuffed J.B. They took him to another room, removed the handcuffs, and closed the door. Douglas, and two other inmates, were outside the door off to the side. When he saw the officer get his radio, believing that they were going to send the inmates in the room where he was, J.B. flipped the table, picked up the chair and began to hit the window.

28. After that an officer came in the room and removed the table and chairs. After they left, he began to pull the wires on the wall. Officers came back into the room and took J.B. back to the other room. J.B. waited there until he was transported to Juvenile Probation office.

29. J.B. was transported to the Coosa Valley Juvenile Detention Facility where officers there took pictures of J.B.'s injuries. The officers there also took J.B.'s complaint about his treatment at the Calhoun County Jail. His mother was also notified of the allegations against the Sheriff and Deputies, and of J.B.'s physical injuries.

30. Sheriff Amerson, in an effort to cover up his own misconduct, brought charges of criminal mischief and harassment against J.B.

31. While on the stand in juvenile court regarding the charges against J.B., the Sheriff falsified the facts about what happened to J.B. at the Calhoun County Jail.

32. On or about February 4, 2011, without warrant, probable cause, consent, or justification of any sort, Defendants Amerson and Ward, officers, agents, or employees of defendant City and officers, agents, or employees of the Sheriff of Calhoun County, believed to be sheriff and deputy sheriff, and acting within the line and scope of their authority and pursuant to the policy of the Sheriff respectively, assaulted and battered J.B.

33. J.B. suffered extensive physical injury, including, but not limited to, bruising around his neck and ears.

34. Any gratuitous act of violence on the part of law enforcement officials is never lawful and should never be tolerated. These officers have put on display their own disrespect for the law that they are sworn to enforce.

35. Qualified immunity offers complete protection for government officials sued in their individual capacities if their conduct "does not violate clearly established statutory or constitutional rights of which a reasonable person would have known." Harlow v. Fitzgerald, 457 U.S. 800, 818 (1982).

36. Any reasonable law enforcement officer knows or should know that repeated pushing, hitting, and choking a child who is secured and in handcuffs and shackles constitutes unreasonable and excessive force in violation of Plaintiff's rights under the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

37. It is clearly established that "[p]olice use of excessive force is a constitutional violation" under the Fourth Amendment. McKinney v. DeKalb County 997 F.2d 1440, 1443 (11th Cir. 1993).

38. He was caused to suffer severe physical damage, apprehension, fear, and anxiety. He has suffered great and severe emotional distress and mental anguish which continues to this day.

39. The use of force by Defendants placed J.B. in imminent fear for his life.

40. The amount of force utilized was unreasonable and unrelated to any legitimate governmental purpose.

41. There existed no justification for the use of force by the Defendants.

42. J.B. was damaged in that he suffered physical pain and injury and great and severe emotional distress and mental anguish. He also suffered embarrassment, humiliation, loss of enjoyment of life.

43. Defendants, at all times material hereto, were acting under color of law.

CAUSES OF ACTION[/list]

44. As to each of the counts herein below set forth, Plaintiff expressly adopts as if fully set forth herein the allegations of the foregoing paragraphs.

COUNT I — EXCESSIVE FORCE[/list]

45. At all times material hereto, Defendants, or each or all of them, were acting as law enforcement officers pursuant to state statute and the ordinances, customs, and policies of Calhoun County.

46. Plaintiff had a right to be free from the use of excessive and unreasonable force.

47. It is apodictic that the use of any force against a person who is handcuffed and secured is wrong and that any such force used is unreasonable and excessive.

48. The aforementioned rights were clearly established at the time of the conduct giving rise to the claims herein.

49. Any reasonable officer knows or should know that the aforementioned rights were clearly established at the time of the conduct giving rise to the claims herein.

50. Defendants, each or all of them, violated each of the rights set forth above by repeatedly pushing, hitting, and choking a 14 year old who was in handcuffs and shackles.

51. Defendants, each or all of them, used excessive and unreasonable force against Plaintiff as described above.

52. Plaintiff's rights under the Fourth Amendment were thus impermissibly abridged and violated.

53. Plaintiff was assaulted and battered, suffered serious physical damage as described above, and suffered great and severe emotional distress and mental anguish.

COUNT II — FAILURE TO PREVENT VIOLATION OF RIGHTS[/list]

54. At all times material hereto, Defendants, or each or all of them, were acting as law enforcement officers pursuant to state statute and the ordinances, customs, and policies of Calhoun County.

55. Plaintiff had a right to be free from the use of excessive and unreasonable force.

56. The Eleventh Circuit has stated that "[ i]t is not necessary that a police officer actually participate in the use of excessive force in order to be held liable under section 1983. Rather, an officer who is present at the scene and who fails to take reasonable steps to protect the victim of another officer's used of excessive force, can be held liable for his nonfeasance." Fundiller v. City of Cooper City, 777 F. 2d 1436, 1441-42 (11th Cir.1985).

57. Each and every law enforcement officer at incident at the time and on the date in question had knowledge that Plaintiff's civil rights were being violated and had the power to prevent or aid in preventing the wrongful acts made the subject of the violations.

58. The individual Defendants who knew of the Defendants' wrongful conduct but failed or refused to prevent it or aid in preventing it are liable to the Plaintiff for the damages he suffered.

59. Plaintiff was damaged as otherwise described herein.

COUNT III — CONSPIRACY TO VIOLATE CIVIL RIGHTS[/list]

60. Pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1985(3), it is unlawful to enter into a conspiracy to deprive any person of the rights and privileges of a citizen.

61. The Fourth Amendment to the constitution secures to Plaintiff — and all citizens — the right to be free from the use of excessive and unreasonable force.

62. The aforementioned right was clearly established at the time of the conduct herein complained of.

63. Defendants, officers and deputies, acting in concert with each other, and each and all of them, confederated and conspired to deprive Plaintiff of the rights set forth above, in violation of 42 U.S.C. § 1985(3).

64. Defendants, officer and deputies, acting in concert with each other, and each and all of them, confederated and conspired to deprive Plaintiff of the rights set forth above, in violation of 42 U.S.C. § 1985(3).

65. Plaintiff has been damaged thereby as herein recited.

COUNT IV — 42 U.S.C. § 1983 — FOURTEENTH AMENDMENT[/list]

66. At all times material hereto, Defendants, or each or all of them, were acting as law enforcement officers pursuant to state statute and the ordinances, customs, and policies of Calhoun County.

67. Plaintiff had a protectable Fourteenth Amendment substantive due process right to bodily integrity as against government intrusion.

68. The aforementioned right was clearly established at the time of the conduct giving rise to the claims herein.

69. Any reasonable officer knows or should know that the aforementioned right was clearly established at the time of the conduct giving rise to the claims herein.

70. Defendants violated Plaintiff's Fourteenth Amendment substantive due process rights to bodily integrity when they repeatedly pushed, hit, and choked Plaintiff while he was restrained.

71. Defendants' conduct was facilitated by their position as State actors.

72. Plaintiff has been injured thereby.

COUNT V — DELIBERATE INDIFFERENCE[/list]

73. At all times relevant hereto, Sheriff Amerson was acting as the Sheriff of Calhoun County, Alabama, and pursuant to the ordinances, customs and policies of Calhoun County.

74. Sheriff Amerson's actions deprived Plaintiff of rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution or laws of the United States.

75. As stated hereinabove, Sheriff Amerson established and maintained a policy to employ deputies and set the standard and condoned the conduct by participating with, training/supervising, and by retaining officers who were so clearly guilty of misconduct.

76. More specifically, Sheriff Amerson intentionally sought out and employed deputies with the propensity for excessive violence.

77. Sheriff Amerson acted with deliberate indifference to the risk that a violation of Plaintiff's Fourth Amendment constitutional right to be free from excessive force would be abridged.

78. Moreover, Sheriff Amerson not only condoned the deputies' use of excessive violence but participated in the use of excessive violence himself.

79. In fact, as described herein, Plaintiff's Fourteenth Amendment right to be free from excessive force was vilolated as a direct result of Sheriff Amerson's policy to employ deputies prone to use excessive violence.

80. Any reasonable law enforcement officer knows or should know that deliberate indifference in the hiring and implementation of policies to employ deputies, as stated hereinabove, is violative of Plaintiff's federally protected rights.

81. Plaintiff has been damaged thereby, as set forth hereinabove.

PRAYER FOR RELIEF[/list]

WHEREFORE, THE PREMISES CONSIDERED, Plaintiff prays for relief as follows:

a) Enter a declaratory judgment that the policies and practices complained of herein are unlawful and violative of the Fourth, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution, as addressed by and through 42 USC.A §§ 1983, 1985, and 1986;

b) Grant Compensatory damages in favor of Plaintiff as against each Defendant of $500,000;

c) Grant Punitive damages to Plaintiff against each Defendant in the amount of $500,000;

d) Grant Plaintiff the cost of this action including reasonable attorneys' fees; and

e) Grant as to Plaintiff such other, further and different relief as this Court may deem just and proper, including all equitable relief, the awarding of which is within the jurisdiction of the Court.

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED on this the 5th day of April, 2011.

PLAINTIFF DEMANDS TRIAL BY JURY.

/s/ E. PeytonFaulk
                                    E. Peyton Faulk (FAU013)
                                    /s/ Anthony B. Bush
                                    Anthony B. Bush (BUS028)
                                    Bush & Faulk, PLLC
                                    Montgomery, Alabama 36104
                                    334-263-7733 (voice)
                                    334-832-4390 (fax)
                                    [email protected]
                                    Attorneys for Plaintiff[/list][/list]

CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE[/list]

I hereby certify that on the 5th day of April, 2011, I electronically filed the foregoing with the Clerk of the Court using the CM/ECF system which will send notification of such filing to the following parties or counsel:

Unknown

/s/ E. Peyton Faulk
                                        Of Counsel

/s/ Anthony B. Bush
                                        Of Counsel[/list][/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                        Comments: "Suit describes verbal, physical threats..." #s 1-
                                        « Reply #50 on: May 15, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »
                                        Comments left for the above article, "Suit describes verbal, physical threats against boy before encounter with sheriff" (by Cameron Steele; Apr 06, 2011; The Anniston Star), #s 1-20:

ImpartialTruth wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 11:43 AM
                                          So now we are at the point of a multi-million dollar lawsuit? So that's the price of asking the system to discipline your child, and having a cow when they do?

Where is this boy's father? Why is it that so many of these cases involve an absent father?
                                        werewolf905 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 11:49 AM
                                          This is such a crock. This juvenile was at the jail for a reason. He wanted to act like an adult by doing what ever he did to get there and thinks that because he is a juvenile nothing can happen to him. That is what is wrong with kids today. They know that they can do anything and the court system will let them off with a slap on the wrist. If it was my child and this happened, I would tell the sheriff thank you for setting him straight. Little smart mouth juveniles need to learn that when you do something to get in trouble that there are consequences. And as I said, even if it was my child I would say great job sheriff. This kid did not suffer "extensive injuries" as the article said. Kids get more bumps and bruises than that playing football, baseball, etc. Great job sheriff and keep up the good work.
                                        MichelleMyBelle wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 11:51 AM
                                          This lawsuit is ridiculous- Seriously? An 'unknown officer' used a racial slur, to which this kid says he's going to sue over. Is everyone too blind to see that this REEKS of a set-up? We are going to get our panties all in a was over "racial slurs"? Because NO ONE has EVER said anything deragatory about another race in anger... I can guarantee whe he gets older and lands in "Big Boy Jail" it will be a LOT worse. If Mama had done her job at home this kid wouldn't have been there in the first place, but I guess he'd have called DHR on her- again, assuming this isn't all a set up. Of COURSE he is innocent and there is nothing about the spitting that took place, just his foul mouth and the fact that he was about to clock the deputy. As far as the whole "I have an itch" issue- YOU ARE IN A JAIL- they TELL YOU when you can scratch that itch. It's the same with the military, but folks are going ape-poo over that fact. And since when can you choke someone with one hand? Looks to me that the sheriff took his chin in his hands to MAKE him look at him. I see parents do this to TODDLERS all the time... Better watch out mom and dad- kid gonna grow up and call an attorney for you "brutalizing"them. This is stupid- just go ahead and shut the program down and let the little punks get shot when they go committing a crime, get back to a little "law of the land".

Read more: Anniston Star - View the lawsuit filed against Calhoun County Sheriff Larry Amerson
                                        s.s. wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 11:53 AM
                                          omgah im sooo sick of seeing stuff about this story. that kid did something to diserve being "jerked" and im sure he made all of that CRAP up in those papers. its just him being a stupid kid that needs to be straightened up buy his parents but no his parents see it as getting some money and quit working i really do hope it all comes back and that stupid kid gets in a LOT of trouble for making crap up!!!
                                        hitechredneck77 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 12:00 PM
                                          I do find it interesting the timing of all this. The Wonderful Anniston Star gets the video; then we have a ton of public outcry for or against it. Then, magically mom shows up with a lawsuit. Timing is everything in our world, isn't it?
                                        Imnotbflat wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 12:18 PM
                                          I'm like the rest of you out there that don't know why the boy was there...I don't care..When people who are supose to uphold the law start breaking the law ..you ..we ..have a problem..Law enforcements job is to apprehend..NOT PUNISH..leave that to the courts..

Is what I'm watching supose to be a considered standard proceedure?
                                        tugboat2 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 12:26 PM
                                          « MichelleMyBelle, You told it like it is! The dad may be out of the picture because he is in prison, or shot dead committing a crime. Mama more than likely doesn't work and on public assistance. This punk is showing their raising. Amerson should be given a medal honoring him for trying to straighten these thugs out before someone does kill them.

Tug
                                        luvinmylife wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 12:44 PM
                                          WOW!!Everyone is hush-hush about the very programs they recommended to parents.If this kid was so out of control why not place him in a room and call the juvenile authorities to come pick him up.These "adults" took it upon themselves to act like a bunch of "billy bads" with a kid!!!Please stop missing the point(all of you that think the sheriff was right)..there are teenagers that act out and disrespect adults so thats when we as adults have to act responsible and mature enough to say "talk all the time you need and when you calm down and you are ready to talk and listen..i will be waiting.I care about you and I will do what I can to help you." Do you remember preaching that John Garlick??...that is the approach that Family Links teaches parents when dealing with a disruptive child.The adults that work at the jail are not above the law,they are wrong for handling this child the way they did.Ok,the boy was acting out...exactly if he was the "perfect child" he would of never been at the jail going through this process.He came down there to do community service and be supervised while he wasnt in school.He was not there to be called racial slurs and be scared by some adult inmates picking and taunting.They picked on a defenseless kid and got him mad then they abused their authority by using physical force to handle a restrained kid.WOW!!!So what they were mad,and??They still do not have the right to do what they did to this 14 year old child!!!!!!!!!!
                                        s.s. wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 12:50 PM
                                          all you out there supporting this stupid punk are more than likely stupid thugs yourself
                                        ImpartialTruth wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 12:51 PM
                                          Michelle, you are so right! If he was banged up and bruised he has to show proof of the abuse. I highly doubt there's proof. Since this apparently happened in February, why wasn't the lawsuit filed then? I'm thinking this lawsuit is a direct result of the video leak.

The failure to name names reminds me of the Auburn HBO crap....guys coming out with all kinds of claims yet refuse to name names. Why the heck not? Because it's a big stinking lie.

I mean, I could claim some police officers jumped me and started beating the crap out of me and calling me racial slurs, but unless I have proof, I'm the boy who cried wolf. How did this turn into a lawsuit? Because the Star made it so. I'm done commenting on this crap. Y'all have a good day.
                                        Crestien wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 01:01 PM
                                          Amerson can't do this. The law is the law. You don't get to just break it whenever you "feel" it's appropriate. If this should be allowed, then it would be the law. Yes, the kid is probably a delinquent that deserves jail or worse, but that doesn't remove his rights.

What if someone thought you were an idiot, not to be given the right of free speech? What if a principal "feels" it's appropriate to teach all of your children from the Koran because he believes it?

It's not about feelings or your personal opinion. It's about the law. Amerson broke it. Period.
                                        mommyto3 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 01:30 PM
                                          Anyone that reads this lawsuit and still defends Amerson is a total idiot! This man and other deputies put this boy through hell. What right do they have to call him names, threaten to put him in a cell with an adult male (which is a total violation of the Juvenile law), beat on him, etc? These are supposed to be people we count on to uphold our laws, and they are monsters. I am so ashamed of their behavior, and I hope they remove them from their jobs as well as sue them for everything they are worth. We have three children, and I can guarantee you that if something like this happened to my child..there would be hell to pay. I do not care what happened at that jail..what these cops did was totally inappropriate and abusive. The law is the law. They are NOT above it!
                                        licketysplit wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 01:56 PM
                                          Here's the thing: Amerson violated Alabama Criminal Code re: physical force however, whomever took the tape and anonymously submitted it to the Star should have submitted it to the ABI first because it is of a juvenile. Check AL Code 12-15-135. Amerson will skate without getting in any more hot water.

His public cred is crippled now and so will his chances of re-election.

Score another point for local politicians and send the little people to the penalty box for opening their mouths. I'm pretty sure when Amerson finds out who submitted that tape, their kiester will be charbroiled on Amerson's grill behind his house.

I have heard Amerson say before that he is "the law" and he would totally throw any of his staff under the bus if they got caught doing something. I guess you would have to work for him to truly appreciate his underhandedness. Judging by some of your comments, not many of you have ever worked for him, hence your idolization of the man.

Anyone protesting him and calling for him to be removed from office? No citizens wanting to take back their county? No???
                                        user71 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 02:53 PM
                                          Just another perfect example of The Anniston Star and their poor attempt for a Witch Hunt. My heart goes out to the law enforcement men and women in our country. The punks and thugs they have to deal with is a shame. It all starts at home and if parents would be parents and deal with their own children instead of depending on outside help to discipline their children this would not be an issue. This is just another punk kid and their bad behavior being defended by the parents who should have punished their own kid. DISCIPLINE!!!!! IT STARTS AT HOME!!!!!!

A racial slur...that makes me laugh are they going to sue every rap star out there making racial slurs or is it not called racial slurs when they do?

Read more: Anniston Star - View the lawsuit filed against Calhoun County Sheriff Larry Amerson
                                        trustme wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 03:25 PM
                                          If I were the sheriff, I'd file criminal assualt charges against the punk. If I were to spit on a law enforcement officer that's what I'd be charged with.

mommyto3: I'm sure this was a perfect little angel. If that punk had spit on my, he would be having oral surgery now.
                                        skalag wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 03:31 PM
                                          I got married at 17 to get away from my abusive father. We had 2 boys. I expected their father to help me raise them but I guess someone forgot to tell him. Point is, I raised those boys by myself. One stays in trouble all the time, one works and takes care of his family. They are in their 40's and not my responsibility anymore, they are completely responsible for their actions. The thing is that I was on welfare just long enough to finish my education and have worked since I was 22 to take care of these boys. My ex-husband never supported us, before or after the divorce. He is not in jail, he lives a very good life that does not include any of the children he has fathered. So everyone out there needs to know that not all women go on welfare and have kids to make money. My point is that the people who are blaming this woman for the way her child acts or acted has no idea what her situation is. Our generation (60's and 70's) decided that children could not be punished. So parents cannot punish their children without fear of arrest. They end up in the DHR system because someone who does not have anything else to do calls DHR. Now the children are in the system and the mom can't do anything about it. One of my son's has been in trouble with the police for years, but not before he got married and moved away from home. The other holds a steady job and takes care of his children. So I consider myself lucky because I had a 50% success rate. It is hard to raise children alone but when they reach a certain age they will decide for themselves which way to go. Children need to be disciplined but "time out to think about what you have done" is not effective.

That all being said, and I am sure to get some terrible feedback from it, I still cannot condone what Amerson did to this child. If we as adults cannot find a decent way to discipline children and parents are forced to look for help because they are at the end of their rope and not allowed to punish them because someone will call the police or DHR, they should at least be sure the program is safe. This was not a safe program. I don't know anything about the program and if I had needed a program back then I probably would have been the one to fall for it.

It does not matter how the tape got to the Star. The deed is done and now the mess has to be cleaned up. One thing is for sure, someone knew that something terrible is going on at the Sheriffs Department. Everyone can talk about not knowing the full story, how he is a "christian", how he would not do this, but the fact is that he DID do it. That cannot be explained away. He hurt that boy. And I cannot say what the boy deserved because I don't know what he has been doing, but I do know that our public officials should NEVER choke a child for any reason. If Amerson got spit on, so what. He's washable, go home and take a bath. Now everyone is talking about this, the whole country knows about it and the investigation had better be a good one with no hanky panky to save someone's butt, because the whole country is watching.
                                        HowWordHues wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 03:32 PM
                                          I just gotta ask this.

Wonder if Gene Rutledge is her Attorney?
                                        skalag wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 03:37 PM
                                          I got married at 17 to get away from my abusive father. We had 2 boys. I expected their father to help me raise them but I guess someone forgot to tell him. Point is, I raised those boys by myself. One stays in trouble all the time, one works and takes care of his family. They are in their 40's and not my responsibility anymore, they are completely responsible for their actions. The thing is that I was on welfare just long enough to finish my education and have worked since I was 22 to take care of these boys. My ex-husband never supported us, before or after the divorce. He is not in jail, he lives a very good life that does not include any of the children he has fathered. So everyone out there needs to know that not all women go on welfare and have kids to make money. My point is that the people who are blaming this woman for the way her child acts or acted has no idea what her situation is. Our generation (60's and 70's) decided that children could not be punished. So parents cannot punish their children without fear of arrest. They end up in the DHR system because someone who does not have anything else to do calls DHR. Now the children are in the system and the mom can't do anything about it. One of my son's has been in trouble with the police for years, but not before he got married and moved away from home. The other holds a steady job and takes care of his children. So I consider myself lucky because I had a 50% success rate. It is hard to raise children alone but when they reach a certain age they will decide for themselves which way to go. Children need to be disciplined but "time out to think about what you have done" is not effective.

That all being said, and I am sure to get some terrible feedback from it, I still cannot condone what Amerson did to this child. If we as adults cannot find a decent way to discipline children and parents are forced to look for help because they are at the end of their rope and not allowed to punish them because someone will call the police or DHR, they should at least be sure the program is safe. This was not a safe program. I don't know anything about the program and if I had needed a program back then I probably would have been the one to fall for it.

It does not matter how the tape got to the Star. The deed is done and now the mess has to be cleaned up. One thing is for sure, someone knew that something terrible is going on at the Sheriffs Department. Everyone can talk about not knowing the full story, how he is a "christian", how he would not do this, but the fact is that he DID do it. That cannot be explained away. He hurt that boy. And I cannot say what the boy deserved because I don't know what he has been doing, but I do know that our public officials should NEVER choke a child for any reason. If Amerson got spit on, so what. He's washable, go home and take a bath. Now everyone is talking about this, the whole country knows about it and the investigation had better be a good one with no hanky panky to save someone's butt, because the whole country is watching.
                                        skalag wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 03:42 PM
                                          Sorry about the double posting. Don't know how to get it off so just ignore.
                                        user71 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 03:55 PM
                                          It does not matter how poor a person is there is no excuse for not disciplining your child and discipline not only starts at home it begins at an early age. We don't wait until the are teenagers or out of control to start and yes parents are responsible for their children's behavior while they are living at home. Once a child is old enough to move out on their own they are responsible for their on actions. This mother is responsible for the discipline of her child and it does not matter if she is single or not that is a cop out excuse. I know women who have raised their children on their own and have raised upstanding young adults. And "skalag" have you ever had a person spit at you? That is probably one of the worst insults to a person and unless you have you can not say what you would do in that situation. Try sitting down with a police officer just once and find out what they really have to deal with and you might have a change of heart. It is a shame what our society has become.

People are feeling sorry for the "child" but realize if you are going to act like a big boy doing big boy stuff then put your big boy britches on deal with the consequences.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                        Comments: "Suit describes verbal, physical threats..." #s 21
                                        « Reply #51 on: May 16, 2011, 07:38:12 PM »
                                        Comments left for the above article, "Suit describes verbal, physical threats against boy before encounter with sheriff" (by Cameron Steele; Apr 06, 2011; The Anniston Star), #s 21-40:

planeman wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 04:13 PM
                                          The law is the law the sheriff broke the law why does people not understand that once you have someone detained and in lock down you cannot use force against them would you want to be done like this what if you were innocence and all you stupid people out there that are siding with this man go back to school or move into some third world country.
                                        usthetruth wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 04:30 PM
                                          HowWordHues

I just gotta ask this.

Wonder if Gene Rutledge is her Attorney?

HowWord, the lawyers names are:

E. Peyton Faulk and Anthony B. Bush and both are from Montgomery........
                                        skalag wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 04:39 PM
                                          user71, I worked at a police department for one summer, many years ago. It was a real eye opener for me and it looks like nothing has really changed. There are three side to this story and the third one has not come out yet. Maybe we should just wait to see what that third side is.
                                        skalag wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 04:43 PM
                                          user71 I have already worked with a police department, one summer, many years ago. Lets just say it was an interesting experience that I never want to have again. Does not look like much has changed. There are three sides to this story, the third has not come out yet. You will probably be as amazed as I was all those years ago.
                                        user71 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 05:11 PM
                                          skalag you worked at the police department but where you beating the street "with" the police and witnessed them being spit at, hit at and cussed at and threatened that if they so much touch them they would sue? There is just to much of this nonsense liberal bull going on and it just needs to be stopped. The liberals have made it just to easy for someone who gets their feelings hurt to sue!
                                        John5299 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 06:29 PM
                                          user71, I will ask you the same question. Where have you beat the street "with" the police and witnessed them being spit at, hit at and cussed at and threatened that if they so much touch them they would sue? If you have, kudos to you. However, if you haven't, you have no right to doubt what "skalag" had to say.

Read more: Anniston Star - Local News, Business, Sports, Events, Blogs, Videos, Podcasts
                                        ohlawdy wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 07:01 PM
                                          This matter isn't about the supposed sorry state of parenting, the behavior of punk kids, or a heroic sheriff trying to right society's wrongs. This matter is about a professional law enforcement officer committing a crime and violating the rights of a citizen.

The victim's age isn't important. Amerson would have been just as guilty of police brutality if the victim had been an adult.

I was a law enforcement officer for 28 years. I have seen officers suspended, fired, and/or sued for exactly the kind of thing the sheriff did to a fully restrained, helpless citizen. What Sheriff Amerson did was wrong, plain and simple. His inexcusable actions violated not only the law, but the standards of our profession. I hope that my fellow citizens don't think that the members of the Calhoun County law enforcement community support Sheriff Amerson in this situation. For the most part, they condemn him, even if they're not free to say so.

Law enforcement officers are expected to exercise self-control when confronted with difficult situations. Losing control and abusing a person like Sheriff Amerson did shames all who wear the shield. Sheriff Amerson's cowardly behavior since the assault shames him and all who support his barbaric act.
                                        prettyeyez wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 07:08 PM
                                          To all of you who are defending the Sheriff...the point is-what this man did clearly is not justified. Didn't your parents ever teach you that unless you walk a mile in someone's shoes, you can't begin to relate to the person in despair, whom in this case is the 14 year old child. What if this was your 14 year old son, you all would have a different perspective, wouldn't you? What if this happened to be your son (regardless of why he was there and his background) shackled and handcuffed, choked, all while listening to these people who are supposed to serve and protect, slander his mother of all people... you all act so ignorant to the fact, and you know the fact still remains, there is NO justification for what this man did! So they say he spit on him, yet there's no proof of that. But I tell you, there is proof of the Sheriff violating this individual's rights. WE can clearly see that. For some adults to say that this is right, my God, there must be a missing link somewhere in your life. As adults, we must cater to our youth (regardless of race) and teach them morals and the difference between right and wrong. If we continue to let matters like this keep being swept under the rug, then we have no need for law enforcement. Someone has to take a stand, and I must oblige that Ms. Brown has gotten off to a good start.
                                        downindixie wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 07:24 PM
                                          Ohlawdy as a former police officer I back your comments one hundred percent!
                                        prettyeyez wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 07:27 PM
                                          Also, I am so sick of people talking about where this child's father is! It has nothing to do with his father! I know plenty of people who have one or both parents absent in their lives yet they still managed to become productive members of society (doctors, lawyers, and so on). So that little tidbit is irrelevant! Law enforcement has a standard to uphold, and when it becomes a point where that standard is questionable, we are in terrible shape.
                                        justnotright wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 07:34 PM
                                          I'm sorry,purtyeyz,but i wouldn't want to walk the mile that wound up getting me chained to a chair in the county jail.Stop the hate.Can't we all just get along.I must be one with the "missing link".
                                        John5299 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 07:34 PM
                                          This is for..ohlawdy and prettyeyes. Kudos for both of you for addressing this issue. This is for...ohlawdy. I was in law enforcement for 24 years. As you know, there are bad apples in our agency's and departments. Most of the time they don't get exposed until they really screw up. In this issue, according to the video clip, Amerson screwed up and now he is wondering what is going to happen to him. You know as well as I do he is guilty as sin. We all have a conscious. Naturally, he is fighting for his position and blaming everybody for his screw up. Also, you know Wade is backing him because he knows if Amerson goes he goes. A new Sheriff will have his own Chief Deputy. Both are a disgrace to the people that are honest law enforcement personnel and the citizens of Calhoun county. I am proud you had enough integrity to write what you did. All law enforcement are for the most part...honest, loyal to their jobs and use their heart along with their heads to enforce the laws.
                                        ohlawdy wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 07:37 PM
                                          Amen,pretty eyez, preach on! And thank you, downindixie.
                                        justnotright wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 07:52 PM
                                          Do you have to become a criminal to get any rights?Does it not matter why he was chained to a chair to begin with?You people are unbelievable.The county is broke anyway.Whats one more frivolous lawsuit to jam up the courts and waste taxpayer dollars.They print it up out of thin air.Don't crucify the sheriff, until the FACTS, {as you call them}, come out in court.Maybe we could call a "beer summit" like Obama did.We could settle this case out of court,saving taxpayers tons of money.Even scratch all the legal fees too.Any takers???
                                        prettyeyez wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 08:00 PM
                                          justnotright...."Walking the mile" was not in reference to what led him to the "program" but rather what circumstances he faced when he arrived there. You see, in this life, everyone is not afforded the same opportunities, you don't know this young man's struggle, everyone is not born with a silver spoon in their mouth. While this is no excuse for downfalls, I highlight this to let you know that it isn't always easy for some as it is for others. I think you realize that; but it's just so difficult for you to think outside the box. While it is ideal for young teenagers, especially young males, to have positive role models, so many times this is not the case. Let me ask you, at 14, were you always thinking rationally. Of course not. WE had our own minds at 14, but with guidance and the right people surrounding us, we were able to learn from our mistakes, and realize what would lead us to a prosperous life ahead. Not all are that fortunate. Yes, I still say if people condone the Sheriff's behavior, they have a missing link. As adults, we should have enough decency, sense and moral standards to differentiate between right and wrong, good and bad, and so forth. We are not children, somebody has to step up and be adults here. This is the deciding factor: IF IT WAS YOUR 14 YEAR OLD, would you be so insensitive. I think not. Case closed.
                                        prettyeyez wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 08:07 PM
                                          Clearly going to court would be a waste of time, if it were me I would just award from the video! the facts to come out?; it is in black and white from the video, and there is simply no justification for the Sheriff's behavior! PERIOD! Trust me, if this compensation is awarded, some law enforcement should take this as a lesson learned. Law enforcement cannot do this, they have a specific duty, and it is not to violate people's rights! Why is that so difficult to understand!
                                        prettyeyez wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 08:17 PM
                                          Thanks John5299 and ohlawdy...the key word is accountability and no matter what position we hold, if we are wrong and it is clear the we are wrong, we must be held accountable.
                                        Bamaprincess wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 09:03 PM
                                          Only a punk would beat and jump on a defenseless person who is shackle down. You expect for a person pay for his crime so man up Sheriff!! I do not care about what this young man done that is irrelevant to this case right now. His color or parenting should not even be the issue here.!! Sheriff you are suppose to be a upright citizen what an example. Step down please!!
                                        justnotright wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 09:13 PM
                                          Who was beating?Who was jumping on?Mountain out of a molehill?How do you spell frivolous?
                                        prettyeyez wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 10:02 PM
                                          bamaprincess you make a valid point. No matter what we say or do, there still will be ignorance lurking amongst the crowd. Those people know that this man was wrong, it doesn't take a genious to figure it out. Some people just reap of ignorance. You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make him drink.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                        Comments: "Suit describes verbal, physical threats..." #s 41
                                        « Reply #52 on: May 17, 2011, 11:38:54 PM »
                                        Comments left for the above article, "Suit describes verbal, physical threats against boy before encounter with sheriff" (by Cameron Steele; Apr 06, 2011; The Anniston Star), #s 41-54:

user71 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 10:23 PM
                                          prettyeyez you are so out in left field. We cater to babies when they are unable to speak for themselves and even young children but to say as adults we must cater to young adults you either do not have children or you are the one with a missing link. I am amazed how so many people are so angry over what the sheriff did but corporal punishment is acceptable in our schools...it is "OK" to hit a child with a board including girls. Why the double standard?
                                        Steven1l2 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 10:50 PM
                                          I watched this video many times and I'll be honest: It's so blurry, I can't tell who the people are in it.
                                        charsue wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 11:18 PM
                                          Hello everyone. Does anyone know why a juvenile probation officer was not called to the scene when this juvenile started acting up? I was under the impression that they are the only ones that deal with juveniles...that's who officers call when they pick up juveniles. Seems like a big policy and rights violation. Who knows it may have turned out worse if probation officers were involved. I wonder if there are cameras in their offices...Probably should be because horror stories involving the juvenile officers have been floating around for years. I am glad she obtained an out of town attorney. I am ashamed of our Sheriff and his Dept and hope the justice system will take this case to the limit.
                                        another1gone wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 11:38 PM
                                          I have served as a police officer and have arrested drunks who puked on me, spit on me, cursed me etc. No I did not like it, but that is what you come in contact with some of the citizens who help pay your salary. Did I ever feel like knocking hell out of these folks? YES. Did I? No. Many of these folks were bankers, lawyers, on very prominent business man. Not what some called scum. I have had to arrest some of the most respected citzens family members. People screw up. Why? I don't know. Why did Sheriff Amerson do what he did? I don't know. But everyone has had an opportunity to have their say and only a few were on the scene and know the real truth. I agree with others. Lets just sit back and wait for the investigation to end and see the outcome. Then will be the time to speak out for or against. I just hope all the employees will speak out and tell the truth.
                                        ImpartialTruth wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 11:58 PM
                                          Ok folks....it is what it is. Everyone has an opinion. Does it do any good to call other people idiots?

Here's how I see it: Some of us think the Star overstepped by releasing a video that showed the face of a juvenile without investigating first. Some of us think the Star fulfilled its duty to society by breaking the video.

Some of us think what happened before and after the video matters. Some of us think the two-minute video content is the ONLY thing that matters.

Some of us think it is far too easy to sue people these days. Some of us think suing is the only option in this case. Some of us think this program is dangerous. Some of us think this program is safe.

Yet, we don't have the details of this program or any kind of testimony from other participants who went through this program, and here we are jumping to conclusions and saying hateful things on both sides.

Some of us think race is a factor. Others think race has nothing to do with it.

Some of us think the parent is to blame for not disciplining the child and depending on the system to discipline him. So, this leads some of us think the juvenile acted in a way that deserved restraint.

Others think the sheriff shouldn't have laid a hand on him, even if he spit in his face.

But the fact is, were any of us there? Do we actually know what events transpired that day? Nope.

We don’t know who leaked the video of the incident and what motivated them to do so. We don't know why this kid was suspended from school, or why he was sitting in the room handcuffed to a chair for that matter. We don't even know if the allegations in the lawsuit can be backed up by proof.

All we have is a snippet of a video with no sound, a copy of a lawsuit, a few news stories, and a handful of speculation.

Thankfully we live in a country where we are entitled to our various opinions. I respect everyone’s opinion here, but I don’t think anyone can change the outcome of this case by dissing the sheriff, the sheriff’s family, the boy, the boy’s family, or law enforcement in general.

We all have opinions, but I think the name calling and the accusations should stop. The law will determine the outcome of this unfortunate situation without our two cents.
                                        prettyeyez wrote on Thursday, Apr 07 at 07:59 AM
                                          user71....More like home plate. Children are our first priority, and yes I have two, two sons to be exact. It is our responsibility from the time our children enter the world until they are capable of taking care of themselves to cater to them and lead them in the right direction. This is a 14 year old child. NOT ADULT. 14 year olds are not adults! Either you don't have children or your missing link includes everything that your character entails. "Cater" literally means to take them under your wings, guide them and show them the right way. As parents, it is our responsibility. At least until they are 18. My boys are 8 and 6, and I wouldn't dare leave them to make adult decisions at the age of 14. Is that hard to comprehend? And this video, my friend, is so far from corporal punishment in schools. You don't put your hands on someone else's handcuffed child, regardless of what position you hold! If someone treated my children like that, I would have a problem too, and so would you.
                                        user71 wrote on Thursday, Apr 07 at 11:27 AM
                                          prettyeyez you are right that we are to lead, guide and direct our children and I never said 14 is an adult I said they are young adults. My character is not in question here, I have raised 2 very productive young ladies. Their morals and character were learned by example at home. They had positive role models that lead by example. You did not explain what you meant when you used the word cater. I think that in the messed up world we live in today so many people have taken the word out of context and they are raising a bunch of spoiled "catered" to children who think their are owed something. To many people want to cater to their child's every beckon call and choose to be their friend instead of a parent. As a parent if we do not start at a young age showing our children what is expected of them what chance do they have. Maybe this kid didn't have a positive role model in the home, we don't know the answer to that but what I do know is that our society is so messed up because we continue to make excuses for bad behavior. Consequences is part of growing up and learning from our mistakes. Most people when faced with the consequences of a bad decision they learn from it, get passed it and become a better person. Only a fool continues to behave in the same manner. You are also right that I would not be happy if someone treated my child badly but here again respect is earned and goes both ways. My girls were taught to respect authority and that bad behavior has consequences and they are theirs to face. Because of the way they were raised they have wonderful work ethics, wonderful morals and wonderful character. We raised our children with the same principles we were taught growing up and it if it worked for us it worked for them. This way of being raised wasn't taught in book or by someone outside of the family teaching right from wrong but people having standards which we a expected to live by. But again you are way off base to question my character based on my opinion and my view and I should be able to voice my opinion based on my own experiences and I should not have to defend it. My character and morals are also based on christian principles. The bible warns us of consequences due to our behavior.
                                        prettyeyez wrote on Thursday, Apr 07 at 10:23 PM
                                          user71....I didn't mean cater to our youth as to wait on them hand and foot. I am delighted to know that you have raised your children based upon Christianity and a good home example. Which is the point that I am trying to make. Your daughters are so fortunate to have been surrounded by such positive role models in their lives. Not everyone is afforded that opportunity. So let's say this 14 year old is the epitome of bad behavior, does that give the Sheriff ,or anyone else for that matter, the right to act the way he did? It does not. People seem to make excuses for the way law enforcement acts, so let me reiterate that there are no excuses for such behavior. He should not have put his hands on him AT ALL! People are going all around the ball park on this scenario, but the fact still remains, all of these other things, (bad behavior, background, parenting), does not justify the Sheriff's actions. It is clear that you have good character and I commend you for that, but right is right. Respect authority, I see your point. But let me remind you, that you have to give respect to get respect. I highly doubt that they were talking to this kid like they were SUPPOSED to. So, there's no room for respect, especially if someone is speaking about your mother in a negative aspect Sometimes, children have to be taught by others outside of the home because they don't have the same environment that your daughters were afforded. At times, it has to be that uncle, that family friend, that teacher, that coach, that cousin, and so forth. That is reality. Sure it would be nice if we could keep it home, but that is not always the case. You see, I know, because I was there before. I am now an accomplished Accountant well on my way to earning my CPA. But the road wasn't easy at home, and I can tell you that I looked for positive feedback elsewhere. The bottom line, is he was wrong for this and those consequences that the Bible speaks of, well, he will be held accountable for.
                                        2byz wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 11:23 AM
                                          I am sorry if I'm wrong, but what is the use of "scared striaght" if you can't use SOMETHING to scare them. It is my understanding that the mom allowed her son to be in this program because of delequent activity. RIGHT? So why are they crying about it now?
                                        hillbilly7722 wrote on Sunday, Apr 10 at 11:55 PM
                                          Everyone posting on here should go hang out with a cop during his shift for about a week. Answer a few calls and deal with the menaces of society. See, it is obvious to me that everyone who reads the newspaper and takes time to post on here are well-read, intelligent, and actually care about things going on in the community. Most of you would be very surprised to see how many people out there actually live on the fringes. I could write a book (and someday intend too) on that issue, but the point I am getting at is this. Be cautious to not pass judgment too quickly. This "child" was neither beaten nor berated, and even if he was, we see no evidence of that. What we do see is an adult guardian dealing with a 14 year old in an aggressive manner. I dare say that if that child's mother, father, or another guardian had taken time to discipline this child consistently over the past 14 years, then we would not talking about him today. And I am well aware that there is more to raising a child than discipline, but I would bet that most parents who care enough to discipline, also care enough to spend time with their kids teaching, praising, and preparing them to be productive citizens. Law Enforcement Officers get to see things that the rest of our society has to miss out on. I just wish that more of you knew what actually goes on in the world in which we live.
                                        scarllett5 wrote on Tuesday, Apr 12 at 10:48 AM
                                          hillbilly7722 The most important point you are missing here is the sheriff in this video has become part of the problem and not not part of the solution. A civilized society should expect more than violence on the part of the Chief law enforcement officer of the county regardless of the supposed sins of the youth involved. We should demand an individual capable of handling these types of situations in a manner that is both legal, honest and respectful. Violence begets violence and does nothing to promote a safe and decent community to live.
                                        hillbilly7722 wrote on Tuesday, Apr 12 at 11:51 AM
                                          No Scarlett, I just see it from a different point of view. I do not see him as being part of the problem, I see him doing what this kid's parents should have already done.
                                        Saragre wrote on Wednesday, Apr 13 at 05:15 PM
                                          The misconduct of sheriff Larry Amerson is only a drop in the bucket of the corruption in Calhoun County. Joe Hubbard's cronnies have been covering up his corruption for years. Hopefully the kids attorney will blow the lid off this dump.
                                        hillbilly7722 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 13 at 08:55 PM
                                          @Saragre

When something like this happens, people immediately start jumping up and down and talking about corruption. Joe Hubbard is probably one of the most fair and honest politicians I know. I am open-minded, and if you can cite specific incidents of corruption, then by all means tell us.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                        Calhoun Sheriff's narcotics unit busts 10
                                        « Reply #53 on: May 19, 2011, 02:20:51 PM »
                                        Jeeezzz... Talk about timing, lol... One could easily read this as one way in which Sheriff Larry Amerson is battling the bad press he's been receiving of late... :D

Calhoun Sheriff's narcotics unit busts 10

by Patrick McCreless · [email protected] · Anniston Star
                                        Apr 06, 2011

The Calhoun County Sheriff Office's narcotics unit cracked down on alleged drug violators Monday, arresting 10 people in the process.

The narcotics unit, spent about a month investigating the 10 individuals arrested on the various drug-related charges, according to a press release from the Sheriff's Office.

The press release there were a few suspects included in the investigation who have yet to be located and who still have active warrants for drug violations.

The investigation was just the first in a series of narcotics investigations that will be taking place during the next few months, the press release adds.

Makotrick Lanier Ball, a 32-year-old male from Anniston, was arrested and charged with distribution of a controlled Substance (bond $30,000), unlawful possession of a controlled substance (bond $5,000) and unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia (bond $500). He is being held in the Calhoun County Jail pending bond.

Michael Allen Beal, 20 of Anniston, was arrested and charged with two counts of unlawful possession of a con-trolled substance (bond $10,000 each) and unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia (bond $500

Michael Anthony Carden, 22 of Anniston, was arrested and charged with Unlawful possession of a controlled sub-stance (bond $10,000) and unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia (bond $500). He is being held in the Calhoun County Jail pending bond.

Christina Renase Emory, 43 of Anniston, was arrested and charged with attempt to commit a controlled substance crime. She was booked in the Calhoun County Jail and later released on a $2,500 bond.

Jamie William Heard, 35 of Piedmont, was arrested and charged with distribution of a controlled substance. He was booked in the Calhoun County Jail and later released on a $15,000 bond.

Samantha Leigh Reaves, 24 of Anniston, was arrested and charged with two counts of distribution of a controlled substance (bond $30,000 each). She is being held in the Calhoun County Jail pending bond.

Venetta Patrice Rives, 41 of Anniston, was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a controlled substance (bond $15,000) and unlawful possession of marijuana first degree (bond $15,000). She was booked in the Calhoun County Jail and later released on bond.

Derick Niel Snider, 25 of Jacksonville, was arrested and charged with distribution of a controlled substance. He is being held in the Calhoun County Jail pending a $30,000 bond.

Foncell Wright, 33 of Anniston, was arrested and charged with unlawful manufacturing a controlled substance 2nd. She is being held in the Calhoun County Jail pending a $50,000 cash bond.

Jerry Dan Bragg, 42 of Jacksonville, was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of marijuana 2nd (bond $1,000) and unlawful Possession of drug paraphernalia (bond $500). He was booked in the Calhoun County Jail and later released on bond.

Sheriff Larry Amerson formed the narcotics unit last month to follow up with complaints of narcotics activity across Calhoun County.

Contact staff writer Patrick McCreless at 256-235-3561.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                        Comments: "Calhoun Sheriff's narcotics unit busts 10"
                                        « Reply #54 on: May 19, 2011, 02:59:29 PM »
                                        Comments left for the above article, "Calhoun Sheriff's narcotics unit busts 10" (by Patrick McCreless; Apr 06, 2011; The Anniston Star):

Generations wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 09:42 PM
                                          "Last Month". On the ball Sheriff. One could be cynical, I suppose...
                                        another1gone wrote on Wednesday, Apr 06 at 11:25 PM
                                          The timing of this press release is suspect. The sheriff nor any of his assistants will not return calls to the paper for comments about the video, but all of a sudden a press release of the number of drug busts and the task force has only been in operation for a month? WOW. This group needs to be turned loose on solving all the rapes, murders, robberies, burglaries etc. They could solve all these crimes in a few minutes. GO TEAM GO.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                        Suit, former deputy... program puts kids in contact with inm
                                        « Reply #55 on: May 21, 2011, 02:08:14 PM »

Suit, former deputy say Calhoun program puts kids in contact with inmates

Apr 07, 2011

A federal civil rights lawsuit against Calhoun County Sheriff Larry Amerson describes a jail program in which youthful offenders are brought to the Calhoun County jail for direct — and threatening — encounters with inmates.

And one retired deputy, a participant in the program, confirmed Wednesday that the program took juveniles to "where the molesters and hardened criminals were."

Both descriptions seem to fit the model of "scared straight" programs that are banned by federal and state laws.

Anniston resident Stacy Brown filed the suit against Amerson and a deputy — identified only as "Deputy Ward" — in the U.S. District Court for Northern Alabama in Birmingham Tuesday.

The suit states that on Feb. 4, Brown's son — identified only as J.B. — spent the day at the jail and was allegedly verbally and physically abused by corrections officers and was "assaulted" and "battered" by Amerson.

That suit states that J.B. was at the jail Feb. 4 to participate in what the suit called a "scared straight" program.

It describes in detail J.B.'s alleged encounter with several inmates during a tour of the jail.

Saks resident Ken Reeves, a law-enforcement officer who retired from a job as a part-time deputy in September, said he was asked to supervise juveniles in the program on a couple of different occasions in November 2009. Reeves said Sheriff's Office officials would tell him to take the juveniles in his care on tours through the jail so they could see the inmates.

There were usually only two juveniles under Reeves' supervision on each tour, he said. A corrections officer would meet Reeves and the juveniles at the front of the jail and accompany them on the tours, he said.

"They wanted me to take them over to the jail where the molesters and hardened criminals were," Reeves told The Star. "And the inmates would say things like, 'boy, we can't wait until you get in here with us; we can show you a thing or two.' "

Scared straight or community service?

Those descriptions of the program seem to run counter to a federal law that officials say prohibits any sight or sound contact between youthful offenders and adult inmates. The events described would also run counter to a state law, which bans youthful offenders from being detained in adult facilities as a way to modify those juveniles' behavior.

"The federal Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Act — and I know Alabama participates with it — states a youth who is in juvenile justice custody, he or she is not supposed to be in a locked facility for adults," said Tara Andrews, deputy director of the Washington D.C.-based nonprofit Coalition for Juvenile Justice. "They are not supposed to even literally be able to see or hear another adult inmate, because the purpose of the law is to protect young people from violence or harassment."

Attempts to reach Amerson Wednesday were unsuccessful, but a news release posted on the Sheriff's Office website Monday disputes the idea the program is of the scared-straight variety. The release stated the program, which Amerson has described as a service for teenagers who've been suspended from school or others who've committed minor crimes and are under the jurisdiction of the juvenile courts, was not a scared-straight program, but, instead, "an opportunity for community service."

Other than the release, Amerson and officials with Family Links, Inc., the children's behavior task force that helped form the program, have provided scant details about it.

"The activities will be structured in an environment that will educate the student about responsibility, respect and discipline under the direct supervision of a corrections officer," the release said. "The child will be required to perform manual labor tasks such as cutting grass and cleaning."

Descriptions match

Reeves' descriptions of the jail tours and the inmates' reactions to the juveniles seem to match the description of J.B.'s Feb. 4 experience as detailed in the Monday lawsuit.

Two hours after arriving at the jail, Deputy Ward and jail guards took J.B. and one other juvenile on a tour of the facility, the suit states. During that tour, the complaint states, the guards stopped in the laundry room.

"The guards then spoke to the inmates and asked the inmates if they wanted some little boys in there with them. The inmates said, 'yes,' " the suit alleged. "One of the inmates stated, while pointing at J.B., 'I want that little black one right there.' "

Later in the day, after lunch, J.B. and the other juvenile were taken on the rest of the tour, when "they spoke to an inmate named Douglas," the suit stated.

The suit then alleges Deputy Ward and other unnamed officers verbally and physically abused J.B., using racial slurs, pushing J.B. without cause and insulting his mother.

When J.B. curled his right fist into a ball by his side, the suit said, Deputy Ward noticed the gesture and threatened to put J.B. in a cell with Douglas, the inmate.

"J.B. began cussing at the officer. They handcuffed J.B. and put him in a room which he resisted after he was threatened with being locked up with an inmate," the suit alleged. "He was in the room for a long time, between one and two hours."

The suit said Amerson eventually came into that locked room to talk J.B. Part of what happened during that conversation is captured on a video first published by The Anniston Star March 30; the video clip shows the sheriff grabbing and holding down a boy dressed in an orange-striped inmate jumpsuit. The boy, whom the suit identifies as J.B., is shackled and has his hands cuffed behind his back during the incident.

Violation of law?

Juvenile justice experts who spoke with The Star Tuesday stated they thought the Sheriff's Office program for juveniles, even without inmate contact, was a scared straight program that was in violation of the federal Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act of 1974 and of the Alabama Juvenile Justice Act of 2008.

During interviews last week, Amerson and Family Links Director Lyndsey Gillam both said the program began as a way to let high-risk kids see what jail might be like.

Andrews, the Coalition for Juvenile Justice spokeswoman, said Tuesday that kind of reasoning is exactly what makes the program fit into the scared-straight category.

And Andrews specifically addressed the Calhoun County program.

"Even if the inmate never addresses juveniles or touches him or her, it sounds, because some of the young people are justice involved, they may be in violation of federal law," Andrews said.

Funding at stake

The federal law expressly prohibits youthful offenders from having any sort of sight or sound contact with inmates; it also bans those youthful offenders from being detained in adult facilities.

Furthermore, the Alabama Juvenile Justice Act of 2008 restricts youthful offenders from being "in secure custody in a secure section of a jail, lockup or correctional facility for adults as a disposition of an offense or as a means of modifying his or her behavior."

The Alabama Administrative Office of Courts published an addendum after the state law was passed to explain the reasoning behind it.

"This provision will expressly prohibit shock incarceration programs like 'scared straight,' which involve bringing juveniles into adult facilities for the purpose of scaring them into modifying their behavior," the court addendum reads. "Such programs are impermissible under federal law and jeopardize the state's eligibility for millions of dollars in federal funding for delinquency prevention programs."

Attempts to reach officials with the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs about how much federal funding the state and Calhoun County receive for delinquency prevention programs were unsuccessful Wednesday.

But a spokeswoman with the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, an arm of the United States Department of Justice, said in an email that states stand to lose 20 percent of federal funding per violation of the 1974 federal law. That means states could lose 20 percent of funding every time they break one of four specific sections of the law, which expressly prohibits sight and sound contact between juvenile and adult offenders, the detaining of youthful offenders in adult facilities, allowing a disproportionate number of youthful offenders who are minorities to come into contact with adult offenders, and the institutionalization of status offenders, or juveniles who commit acts that are crimes only for juveniles, like underage drinking.

"If there are enough violations, then the state can lose any federal or juvenile justice money, millions of dollars," said Joe Vignati, the coordinator for the Governor's Office of Children and Families in Georgia, during a Tuesday conversation with The Star.

Repeated attempts this week to reach Amerson and other Sheriff's Office and Family Links officials this week about the specifics of the jail program have been unsuccessful.

Contact Star Staff Writer Cameron Steele at 256-235-3562.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                        Comments: "Suit, former deputy say Calhoun program puts kids
                                        « Reply #56 on: May 22, 2011, 12:12:38 PM »
                                        Comments left for the above article, "Suit, former deputy say Calhoun program puts kids in contact with inmates" (by Cameron Steele; Apr 07, 2011; The Anniston Star):

wilkbama wrote on Thursday, Apr 07 at 08:10 AM
                                          After reading this article, you would think that a SCARED STRAIGHT program is strickly illegal federal and state. If so, how come the shows, SCARED STRAIGHT and BEYOND SCARED STRAIGHT, on the A&E channel are highly acclaimed. Here is A&E's statement about the shows.

-----------------------------------------

Scared Straight!, the Academy Award & multiple-Emmy®-winning documentary film by Arnold Shapiro, made a huge impact on audiences through its portrayal of an effective juvenile prevention/intervention program at a NJ prison. Over the years, both the prison program and the film have turned countless kids away from drugs, violence and crime, and kept them out of prison.

BEYOND SCARED STRAIGHT™ produced by Arnold Shapiro, profiles the new approach to keeping today's teens from becoming tomorrow's prisoners. The power of the original Scared Straight! program has inspired dozens of inmate-run intervention programs in men's and women's prisons across the country. In many dramatic ways, these 21st Century programs are very different, because today's youth need a different approach - a combination of confrontation, information and communication to try to reach these at-risk kids. These youthful offender programs put boys and girls of all ethnicities and backgrounds, ranging in age from 11-18, into intensive one-day in-prison sessions that show them the realities of life behind bars.

Each one-hour episode focuses on a different inmate-run program in the U.S., and follows four or five at-risk teens before they attend the program, throughout their day inside the prison, immediately afterwards, and then follows up with them one-month later to see the lasting impact of the experience on their lives. Beyond Scared Straight is about transforming the lives of young people through intervention and second chances.

Beyond Scared Straight is produced by Arnold Shapiro Productions for A&E Network. Executive Producer is Arnold Shapiro. Co-Executive Producer is Paul J. Coyne. A&E Executive Producers are Laura Fleury, Jordana Hochman and Robert Sharenow.
                                        arizonagirl wrote on Thursday, Apr 07 at 09:12 AM
                                          First, I want to applaud C. Steele for being bold enough to report the truth.

I have had conversations with this reporter in the past about articles she has written which seemed very one sided - tilted towards the Sherrif's office.

During those conversations, much to her surprise, she found that some of the information she had been given by the 'authorities', and actually printed, was not all factual. SURPRISE SURPRISE!

I encouraged her to be a 'fair and equitable' reporter, not to just report what she was told by the authorities, as the whole truth.

For far too long, those who have reported on crime/police issues have reported only what they were told by the 'authorities'....it is such a relief that finally there is a reporter in Calhoun County who wants the truth and not just what the 'authorities' want printed.

C. Steele, do not let these bullies scare you. If the truth be known, they are scared of you. They are not comfortable being in the presence of 'honest' people who demand the truth!
                                        agm wrote on Thursday, Apr 07 at 09:28 AM
                                          I do not believe that the scared straight programs are illegal federally. The federal Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act of 1974 provides funding, and one of the requirements to receive that funding is to not have the scared straight type programs. I am assuming that the prisons and what not can decide they would rather have the scared straight programs and not the funding as long as the programs are not illegal in their specific state. Judging by this article, they are illegal in Alabama, but may not be elsewhere. I am not sure about any of this, but it could be a possibility.
                                        Bjacobson1949 wrote on Thursday, Apr 07 at 05:18 PM
                                          I believe that if the parents had taught this respect he probably would not have spit in an adults face or cussed an adult out. As for as these "former" deputies goes why not ask what grudge do they have. Perhaps they left under less than honorable circumstances. It has been my experience you can find disgruntled employees anywhere if you look hard enough. I support our sheriff and believe it is time for parents to step up and be parents.
                                        UnSaved wrote on Thursday, Apr 07 at 07:13 PM
                                          Honestgovernment, How do you know that momma is trying to run things to keep the check coming while daddy continues to be irresponsible? Why do you refer to the young boy as a "spawn"? The only time I ever heard that word was when is was used as "spawn of the devil".

Is your morality straight from the Holy Bible? It sounds that way. It does not matter if the momma was on welfare, food stamps, wic and whatever else that is offered from the government, the actions of the Sheriff are still wrong. The boy according to the suit listed in the paper was man-handled by men that are supposed to be professional law officers. The video gives validity to what was said. Why do you call yourself honestgovernment and give support to a government official that has acted dishonestly? If your morality comes from the Holy Bible you are making a horrible mistake because the people in that book were barbarians.
                                        justnotright wrote on Thursday, Apr 07 at 08:46 PM
                                          I still say this is ridiculous.Now that a few more "facts" come out,it seems to be quite a bit more interesting.I can't wait to see who the snitch is.I'm sure someone broke a law releasing that tape.I can smell vendetta all over this.Watch and see....it's money$$$$$$
                                        justhetruth wrote on Thursday, Apr 07 at 09:50 PM
                                          One comment that this 14 year old's daddy is derelict in his responsibility and mommy is on government payroll is hogwash. If the writer would take time and do their homework, they would learn that the daddy was killed fighting overseas for our right to be able to speak out. Regardless though, the sheriff is wrong and cannot justify his actions. He will be lucky if he is not indicted and sent to federal prison. He may lose his retirement if this happens. There is more to come that will put the sheriff a little deeper in the ground. I understand the FBI supobened some documents today. It ain't over by a long shot. The main question is will the employees who know the truth share it with the FBI, or will they cover for the sheriff and take a chance on being indicted for perjury or obstruction of justice.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                        The lawsuit against Amerson
                                        « Reply #57 on: May 23, 2011, 11:32:12 AM »
                                        This appears to be a collection of three Letters to the Editor:

The lawsuit against Amerson

by our readers · Anniston Star
                                        Apr 08, 2011

Re "Suit describes verbal, physical threats against boy before encounter with sheriff" (News article, April 6):

OK, here we go with a lawsuit. No, I don't know the whole story, and I am not sure Sheriff Larry Amerson made the right decision. But if it were my son and I thought he did wrong, I would want justice and any wrong-doer to go to jail or whatever punishment is due.

But, no, let us sue for money. Does that solve the problem? Does that make things right? Does that make my son behave like he should? No, the almighty dollar solves it all.

I knew this was coming. Money is going to solve everything — not.

Candace Williams
                                        Anniston

Amerson guilty of misconduct

I would like to thank the person who gave the surveillance video of Sheriff Larry Amerson to The Star. Despite some incoherent viewers, the video clearly demonstrates misconduct by Amerson.

The video also contradicts previous statements pertaining to the juvenile's behavior problems and his history of spitting. It is clear that on both occasions Amerson demonstrated misconduct, as the juvenile's head was turned in the opposite direction, making it impossible to spit on Amerson.

Amerson should be held accountable for his actions, unless he decides later that the video was released to promote the "scared straight" program. You know, just like his "so-called" request that the FBI conduct a preliminary investigation. Amerson's actions are inexcusable.

We the citizens aren't questioning Amerson's Christianity, we are questioning his actions. As a Christian, you should be familiar with Matthew 7:15: "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."

With that being said, Amerson needs to resign because his recent actions shown towards a handcuffed, shackled and defenseless juvenile are a disgrace to this county as well as to honest, law-abiding officers.

Sheila Boyd
                                        Anniston

Not so hasty, parents

I want to caution parents whose children are disobedient and disrespectful. When you want to grab them by the collar and push their head up against the wall, restrain yourself and remember that if they are a juvenile, you can be legally punished for such?an offense.

Resist that urge. At least wait and listen for the day when they excuse Sheriff Larry Amerson for his similar actions against a juvenile. Then you can save yourself some of the yelling and begging and creative techniques that you come up with to discipline your kids without putting your hands on them.

When and if the sheriff is excused, that should be a strong endorsement for parents to go back to snatching kids by the collar and even back to not sparing the rod. This change would give every parent the chance to contribute something positive to the community by properly shaping those who will one day influence the community. It will also let the sheriff focus more on what he can handle more expertly than the parent.

Stephenson Reeves
                                        Anniston

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                        Comments: "The lawsuit against Amerson" #s 1-20
                                        « Reply #58 on: May 24, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »
                                        Comments left for the above collection of Letters to the Editor, "The lawsuit against Amerson" (reader input; Apr 08, 2011; The Anniston Star), #s 1-20:

jthomas1979 wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 05:33 AM
                                          I agree with Candace Williams!

It seems like the Mother has found away to get rich quick. That does seem to be the Ameriacan dream for many.

I've read comments concerning the many articles the Star has published about this situation. Everyone that has automatically decided against the Sheriff has said he should have to answer for his actions. If he is guilty, I agree. I don't agree with the county literally PAYING for them.

I hope someone can explain (to me) how several hundred thousand dollars will help this child.
                                        Sensai wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 08:09 AM
                                          I agree with Cadice Williams
                                        arizonagirl wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 08:51 AM
                                          jthomas1979 :

No one owes you or I an explanation as to how this lawsuit and/or the financial outcome will help this child.

Unfortunately, money is what speaks to those in positions of authority/government who commit crimes, and this 'sherrif' committed a crime. If he or his employer has to pay financially for his crime, then maybe he will change his wicked ways!

If a lawsuit had not been filed, this story would have gone away and the 'sherrif' would be allowed to continue his blatant arrogance and disregard for the law, which he requires others to uphold.

If this 'sherrif' were a man of honor and integrity, he would apologize for his poor choice to assault this teenager, and show true repentance, but no, that will not happen, he honestly believes he is above the law.

This 'sherrif' should be arrested, hand and ankle bound, and put into the calhoun county jail. This is what would happen to you or I if we were caught abusing a child.
                                        jthomas1979 wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 09:30 AM
                                          arizonagirl:

A lawsuit does not always have to be about a financial award for wrong doing against someone.

"If he or his employer has to pay financially for his crime, then maybe he will change his wicked ways!"

If found guilty, he will suffer financially. He will lose his income as Sheriff.

The rest of your comments had nothing to do with my original comment. I agree with the case being taken to court, the Sheriff having to apologize, and HIM facing punishment if found guilty.

My point: ALL TAX PAYERS AND I WILL DESERVE AN EXPLANATION of the financial outcome of this suit. It is our money that will pay this family if they are awarded an amount. Justice should be served NOT MONEY!
                                        JustPlainBill wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 11:00 AM
                                          There will bo NO taxpayer money paid out in any lawsuit because the County of Calhoun is not at fault only one of its employees. Caught on tape is a catch phrase in America and everybody suspects, as in the cases we see on television, why did he do it? Do people who lose tempers need to be in position of authority is not the question, the tape reveals every officer present left the room so the sheriff was alone with the young man, why they did that and were they asked or ordered to leave is the defining truth.
                                        hillbilly7722 wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 11:49 AM
                                          This is taken directly from Title 13 of the Alabama Criminal Code. If you do not believe me, Google Alabama Criminal Code, Title 13 deals mostly with criminal offenses. Before making judgement, take a look at this. The State of Alabama acknowledges that sometimes certain individuals must be disciplined with force. That's right parents, you can spank your kids. It is not illegal, immoral, or unethical. And if you can't control your own kids, so you decide to turn them over to someone else to raise them for you, they can use force to make them behave. FYI: Teachers can use corporal punishment. This is not child abuse, it is using force to make an out of control kid behave. Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone beating on my kid, but this is not a beating, it is not child abuse, and I dare say that if I let my kid get so out of hand that I have to send him to the county jail to try to make him behave, then I would probably deserve to have by butt kicked. "Section 13A-3-24 - Use of force by persons with parental, custodial or special responsibilities.

The use of force upon another person is justified under any of the following circumstances:

(1) A parent, guardian or other person responsible for the care and supervision of a minor or an incompetent person, and a teacher or other person responsible for the care and supervision of a minor for a special purpose, may use reasonable and appropriate physical force upon the minor or incompetent person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary and appropriate to maintain discipline or to promote the welfare of the minor or incompetent person."
                                        jthomas1979 wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 11:54 AM
                                          JustPlainBill:

I hope you are correct about NO taxpayer money paid out. I was thinking along the lines of the County being responsible since he was on the clock.

As for there only being one employee at fault. That is not true. If you read all the articles, you will see that a Deputy Ward is also mentioned in the suit.
                                        [email protected] wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 08:18 PM
                                          Hillbilly, I read the statue you quoted. Larry Amerson used force to restrain this young man when he put him in shackles and handcuffs. No one is arguing that point. He used EXCESSIVE FORCE when he proceeded to choke a young man that was already restrained. That is not discipline. That is ABUSE. It is obvious from the video the boy is not fighting back. He is not being disruptive. He is not causeing any problems. There is NO excuse for Amerson to treat him this way. For all those that are complaining about the mother suing for money what would you have her do. She can't fire him. She can't arrest him. She can't force him to resign. She can't get her son's dignity back.She can't erase any scares that this may leave on her child. And if he was really a problem child we don't know the long term effects this incident will have on him. So what would you have her to do? Should she assume the cost of legally fighting to resolve the problem with the sheriff department? Should she have to pay for counseling if her son needs it? And I believe he will. You don't solve behavioral problems with violence that only makes matters worse. So what should the mother do? Write a strongly worded letter? March in front of the jail? Don't vote for Amerson next election? Is any of that really punishing Amerson? Sometimes the only way we can punish someone is making them pay finacially.
                                        Jimmy_Jo_Johnson wrote on Friday, Apr 08 at 09:49 PM
                                          I really cant believe some of the things I am reading. This "child" wasnt abused. He wasnt roughed up, he was just made to pay attention. To all these posters who think a lawsuit is in order and that the poor child will need counseling, you are what is wrong with this country and with these children who have no raising. If his mother really loved him and had any morals whatsoever, she would have whipped his tail a long time ago instead of forcing us taxpayers to flip the bill to pay our sheriff to discipline her "child". I will vote for Amerson for this reason alone. He didnt force the "child" to pay attention because he was trying to hurt him or because he had something against this "child. Amerson was trying to help the poor child. Amerson is/was in the right. Kids will be kids and all of them need their butts whipped now and again. Amerson should be rewarded for his efforts and the mothwer should be put in jail for being a parisite to society and breeding.
                                        [email protected] wrote on Saturday, Apr 09 at 02:08 AM
                                          Jimmy Jo, I have raised 4 sons. I have one that is in the Navy, one that is in college, a senior on his way to college and a sophmore who already has colleges looking at him for being a scholar athlete. Only a small minded, ignorant person would have to resort to name calling because they have nothing more intelligent to say. Your post is case in point. It was not Larry Amerson's job to discipline this boy. He was supposed to be there to do community serve. He had no right to put his hands on someone else's child. PERIOD. He was not a resident of Calhoun County jail. He was not ordered there by the courts. He was not a prisoner. When he asked to call his mom they should have allowed him to call his mom. People are talking about this child like he had been convicted of rape, murder, or armed robbery. He was suspended from school. How many people got suspended when they were in school? That doesn't make them criminals, that doesn't make them parasites. It makes them kids. What is wrong with society is that the world is still racist. If this had been a Black sheriff choking a white child all of you would be singing a different tune. It is NOT acceptable.
                                        hillbilly7722 wrote on Saturday, Apr 09 at 02:27 AM
                                          Jimmy Jo Johnson

I could not have said it better myself.

Telesa

I completely missed the part where anyone was choked in the video. And, no, the video does not show us everything. No one knows what was said. Just because he was cuffed, does not meant that he was not being verbally abusive. You see a short clip of the incident. No one knows what happened before or after. As far as the kid needing counseling. If that deserved counseling, then I would be should probably be laying on a couch spilling my guts to some shrink at this very minute, because I got my chain yanked regularly when I was a kid. But I am not laying on a couch crying to a therapist, because it was discipline. The kind of discipline that starts at a young age. The kind of discipline that produces hard working, RESPECTFUL, productive members of society. I understand that some parents opt for other forms of punishment, and so long as it is consistent and gets the job done, then so be it, but a parent cannot turn their out of control kid over to someone else, and then get mad because he gets what he should have been getting at home.

To the folks talking about the law suit. Yes, the Sheriff can be sued as an individual, but rest assured, the county will be sued as well, and the county will pay off in the law suit. Most likely the county will settle with this "poor child's" mother and the settlement will be sealed so we will never know the amount she receives. If the sheriff is found to have acted legally (which I am sure that he will), then the suit against him as an individual will be dropped. But in the end, all of us tax payers will be getting screwed, and when this kid gets a little older and commits a serious crime, maybe the mom will have a little left over to cover his attorney fees, so we won't be left footing the bill again.
                                        [email protected] wrote on Saturday, Apr 09 at 06:12 AM
                                          Hillbilly,

As far as I know in America we still have freedom of speech. That young man had a right to say what he wanted. Period. Abuse of authority is not the same as discipline. I noticed one other thing in the video. Why did all the officers in the room leave? That makes his actions questionable in the first place. As far as the lawsuit the mother has a better chance of winning a civil case than a criminal case and it's not because of the innocence or guilt of Amerson it is because we still live in a racist society that promote white violence against blacks. It is the same thing as Rodney King, white officers beating a black man that is obviously on the ground and not fighting back but they still walked. I don't expect this case to be any different.
                                        Bobby_G. wrote on Saturday, Apr 09 at 06:57 AM
                                          The point is that the boy should never have been in the jail to start with! The sheriff was wrong for having such a program to start with, it was not approved and this type of program has been shown not to be as effective as shown on TV shows. The boy should have been sent to reform school, if we don't have one then there should have been one started long ago.

The jail is a jail, it was not designed to operate juvenile social programs in. It was designed for incarceration of criminals/suspected criminals 18 years old and older. There is a womens' section but no kiddy korner for punks some parents can't or won't handle.

Amerson should be fired for letting this situation exist. If he had quit trying to raise other peoples' spoiled kids for them, his jail operations might be far better than it has proven to be.

What the republican party needs to do NOW is start looking for a candidate for sheriff who is not a bail bondsman, drug-team cop or some other person who cannot be elected. It is for certain that the democrats will run Amerson again just because he is the incumbent, not because he knows where all the dirt is in the county! If he won't quit, he has to beaten in the next election. He may have done some good work before but he has done so much bad work lately, he simply has to go.
                                        [email protected] wrote on Saturday, Apr 09 at 08:46 AM
                                          Bobby G, I agree with you that this program should never has existed in the first place. And according to many officials they didn't even know there was such a program. If this program was what Amerson claimed it to be he should have been promoting it to the community instead of this stealth program that nobody seemed to know about. Everybody is talking about this child like he is the lowest form of low. What did he do? All I got from the paper is he had been suspended from school. If he had done something so terribly wrong he would have been locked up in a juvenille detention center or in jail. He would not have went to a VOLUNTARY program. He wasn't ordered there by any court system so that lets me know that what he did was not that serious. Using excessive force on a shackled child is hardly raising someone else's kids. If that's the case I would love to "raise" some problems children. Having raised four boys of my own, I know raising kids is more than discipline. You have to provide financial support, emotional support, encouragement, you have to show kids love and guidance. I didn't see any of that in the video so I don't get how Amerson was "raising" other people kids.
                                        Jesus_Hates_Sinners wrote on Saturday, Apr 09 at 09:08 AM
                                          Jimmy-Jo-Johnson,these are your words "Amerson was trying to help the poor child. Amerson is/was in the right. Kids will be kids and all of them need their butts whipped now and again. Amerson should be rewarded for his efforts and the mothwer should be put in jail for being a parisite to society and breeding." Your "King James morality" is showing. A "parasite to society"? Put in jail for breeding? Jimmy- Jo , were you abused as a child in you home because the bible said "spare the rod , spoil the child"? I have noticed that it is the "holier than thou" crowd that is standing up for the thug behavior of Sheriff Amerson. I can only think that the support of these "holier than thou" people is because Sheriff Amerson stated that he was a "Follower of Christ". Dogs are trained with punishment and treats to obtain the desired behavior , and aren't we as humans different than dogs and farm animals?

Do not forget , the boy was only 14. I sincerely hope that the "Follower of Christ" is done in his role as public servant.
                                        bama57 wrote on Saturday, Apr 09 at 11:03 AM
                                          Telesa, you or arizonagirl should volunteer to take this poor "child" in your home and I'm sure you could turn his life around, because you know everything about how to handle an out of control kid. Telesa, you said all you could find out he did wrong was get kicked out of school. When I was in school, that was the most serious thing that could happen to you. The Star does not want to go to the trouble to find out what he did for this to happen. If you would go to the trouble to read the law suit that was filed against Amerson, you would see some the things that happened while he was in the jail. On page 6, line 27 & 28 it states jail personel put JB in a room with only a table and chair, and left, locking the door. He then turned the table over and picked up the chair, and tried to knock the window out. Jail personel returned and removed the table and chair. He then began to rip the wiring off the wall and it was at this point he was cuffed and shackled. This is the account given by his own lawyer and was sugar coated as much as they could, I'm sure. We have not heard the other side of the story, only one.

You stated that raising kids is more than discipline, they need emotional support, encouragement, love, and guildance, and you did not see any of this in Amerson. That is the job of the PARENTS, not Amerson. He only becomes involved when this fails. He is trying to keep JB out of prison one day, but from the video he didn't want to listen. One day, when JB is in prison, and someone's "wife", he will wish Amerson had jerked his head a few more times, to try to talk some sense in him before it was too late.

If this "child: had not acted the way he did, he would not have been handcuffed and the sheriff called over to talk to him. And to those who said the sheriff choked and beat him, you must have seen a different video than the one I saw.

If someone doesn't turn JB's life around, one day we will be reading about him killing someone, or someone killing him. Mark J. Brown's name down somewhere and see if I'm not right.
                                        [email protected] wrote on Saturday, Apr 09 at 03:03 PM
                                          Bama57, unlike most of the people who just run their mouth, I take action. I have been a foster mom. I have taken children into my home. I am a nurse. I worked for a non-profit for the prevention of child abuse and taught parenting classes. I go into the schools and get students to volunteer time with hospice patients. I try to give them a positive outlook by giving them an opportunity to help others. I don't claim to know everything about raising kids but I know you don't take a child that exhibits aggression and treat him with even more aggression. What does that solve? The paper said the program was for kids that had been suspended from school not expelled. The exact quote from the paper says Calhoun County Administrator Ken Joiner never knew about a Sheriff’s Office program for youthful offenders and suspended-from-school teenagers to work in the county jail, no where in any of these articles does it say what this child did. He is a juvenille, it would be unlawful to report it. You talk about what this child did when he was shackled and locked in a cage like and animal but the point is he should have never been there in the first place. He was not an inmate. He was a minor and SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE PERIOD. If it is against the law for these programs to exist how can anyone uphold Amerson. He is not above the law. It doesn't matter what his motivation was Amerson broke the law. I can't lock my child in the basement in shackles cause I am claiming to save him, I would go to jail and that is exactly what should happen to Amerson.
                                        jthomas1979 wrote on Saturday, Apr 09 at 08:16 PM
                                          Like I posted in another article about this story, should've gave him cupcakes and a Xbox all day and the hole thing would've went alot smoother. I'm sure it would've straightened him out too...
                                        madmac013 wrote on Sunday, Apr 10 at 01:56 PM
                                          I like the Rodney King refrence. The initial video showed him getting beat down by police. But, when the whole story came out, it was way different. He actually ran from police because he was intoxicated, going over 100 mph in the process. When he was stopped, he fought with officers, throwing them around and resisting. Tasers didn't even stop him. Then came the video which only shows what the press wanted people to see. Kinda sounds like what's happening here. None of us have the whole story. We only have what the press wants us to see. I'm going to wait until the whole story comes out to see what really went on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King[/list]
                                        Jimmy_Jo_Johnson wrote on Sunday, Apr 10 at 04:23 PM
                                          "Not a lot of difference between this and Rodney King"

Really? Maybe when this kid becomes a man he will remember and act on the values his Mother is currently displaying. He can go out and find him a "Reginal Denny" and stick it to the man. Rodney King was out drunk, driving and resisting arrest. If anyone is out drinking and driving, they are inviting law enforcment into their life and are disregarding the lifes and safety of others. If you then resist arrest the police just might use force, but remember, Rodney King invited the police into his life when he made a choice to drink and drive.

Lets now talk about another beating that took place after the Rodney King verdict was read. Reginal Denny was trying to earn a living driving a concrete truck. The young thugs who beat Reginal,threw bricks at his head and then did a touchdown dance in celebration, are the kind of people Sheriff Amerson was trying to prevent this young man from becoming. But you all go ahead victimize him (JB), tell him that he should stick it to the man any time he can. Tell him society and "the man" owes him a living. Tell him he should sue any time he can. And when he cant sue, tell him to start robbing and stealing because "the man" is out to get him anyway. Tell him its "the white mans" fault that his choices have put him in a cage "like an animal". Then when he has children he can demonstrate the same type of behavior to his kids and it can keep going and going.

Read more: Anniston Star - Boy s mother sues sheriff over incident in videotape

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                        Comments: "The lawsuit against Amerson" #s 21-33
                                        « Reply #59 on: May 25, 2011, 11:48:33 AM »
                                        Comments left for the above collection of Letters to the Editor, "The lawsuit against Amerson" (reader input; Apr 08, 2011; The Anniston Star), #s 21-33:

justnotright wrote on Sunday, Apr 10 at 05:09 PM
                                          Oh no,jimmiejoe,they're gonna eat you alive now.Remember what I said?People on here "can't handle the truth".Hide and watch...
                                        hillbilly7722 wrote on Monday, Apr 11 at 12:45 AM
                                          Telesa, How did you associate this incident to Rodney King? By the way, the mother cannot take action to prosecute Amerson criminally, that is the job of the investigating agency. At the time that kid's mother turned him over to the Sheriff's Office, she made the Sheriff and his employees guardians. She did this because the out of control little bastard would not mind her. Why could she not control him? We do not know that, and most likely, we never will. This is not a racial issue. This is an issue over a punk kid getting discipline. Whether it was their fault or not, he ran over the people who were in a position to control him, and she placed him in a position where someone else had to take care of him. Well, what would you have the Sheriff, or anyone else for that matter, do? Would you let him into your house to tear your things apart? Would you sit and talk to him about the errs of his way while he spit in your face? At what point would you decide that you had to act? I have read all of your posts, and it sounds like you have done an exceptional job at raising your children. I commend you on that. That being said, not all parents take the time to raise their kids. Instead they let them have free reign until one day they have to act to control them. They then have to demand that law enforcement intervenes. In most of these cases, the parents complain because force is used. Force is most often used in cases of juveniles because they have always had it their way. It is not a black/white issue, and this could have just as easily been a white kid instead of a black kid. I am sick and tired of the talk about "racism" in law enforcement. if this was a white kid, no one would care, and most certainly, no one would be looking at the almighty dollar sign.
                                        [email protected] wrote on Monday, Apr 11 at 02:40 PM
                                          hillbilly7722,

I am African American. I know that their is still a difference in how blacks are treated by white law enforcement. Do I think all white cops are out to get Black people know, but I am not naive enough to believe that it doesn't exist. I made the reference to Rodney King because it was an example of excessive police force. Force is supposed to be used to get control of a person but once they have submitted, once they are shackled and restraint, then the billy clubs, fists, kicks, stomps, chocking etc should stop. If it doesn't then it goes from a police man doing his job to police brutality. To answer your question hillbilly, I have taken kids who were consider problems kids in before. I try to just write kids off, I believe everyone has a redemption story, a testimony. I am old school so I believe it takes a village to raise a child and in my day if I acted up and a neighbor saw me they would beat my butt before they took me home to my mama and she would beat my butt. My issue is that this should have never happened. The program should not have existed, it was against the law but everyone wants to overlook that tad bit of information. How can the sheriff expect this child to listen to him about abiding by the law when he is breaking it himself. I see all the names called but what was the boy charged with? what was he found guilty of? Every body is talking about this kid, calling him a bastard, a degenerative, a low life, can someone please tell me what this child did that was so awful?
                                        hillbilly7722 wrote on Monday, Apr 11 at 11:52 PM
                                          Telesa, first of all the program would only be illegal if it were used in lieu of sentencing a kid to another form of detention/rehabilitation, and the kid was ordered to attend. Kids do not have the same rights as adults. This kid's mother sent him there voluntarily. No one made her do it, and the kid cannot object because he is a kid. A guardian has the right to make kids do things they do not want to do. Personally, I do not like these types of programs because they tend to put police in the role of babysitter, and the police have enough responsibilities. That's my personal opinion, and it does not make the program illegal. Secondly, I am a white police officer, and I have been accused of being racist on a number of occasions. I try to treat everyone that I encounter the same, however, as soon as a white cop has an unfavorable encounter with an African American suspect, the race card gets played. Racism is a word, it is not an opinion or a state of mind, it is simply a word. I do not believe in treating anyone differently based on race, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, or national origin. I am sure you are probably aware of this, but other readers may not be. African Americans can be racist too. I don't know how many times I have been called a "redneck" or a "cracker". Now I find these words offensive when used as a term of endearment, however, I am supposed to bite my tongue, and I do, because that's what's expected of me. I do believe that we should all be treated as equals, as we were created that way, but that is a two-way street. There is no excuse for anyone being mistreated based on color of skin. This kid was not mistreated because of his skin color. He was not abused. He was not choked out. He was forced to listen to a person of authority, and that is all. And to answer your last question, no one who really knows what happened can tell you because that would be a violation of this "little darling's" rights. See, no one can disclose that information, and I have not seen one person from "The Star" make mention of that. They have hung the Sheriff out to dry here with part of the story. The fact is, they cannot tell you whether the kid was arrested and charged with criminal offenses, because legally they should not know. I'll bet whoever provided that tape to the "Almighty Star" also provided that information. What Steele also won't tell you is that black to white, the Sheriff's Office employs more African American deputies and Correction's Officers than any other law enforcement agency in the county. I do not work for the Sheriff, and like I said in another post, I don't agree with some of his political decisions. But railroading like this is just wrong. One other thing and I will finish. The party who used their position to release a tape of a juvenile to the press and allowed the press to watch the tape without being censored should be held liable for violating that child's right to anonymity.
                                        maryknight wrote on Tuesday, Apr 12 at 12:46 AM
                                          Why is it when things happen that so many times it is called racism when it is not!
                                        muchlove2011 wrote on Tuesday, Apr 12 at 10:34 PM
                                          hillbilly,, I agree with Telesa,,I don't care to know what happen befor what the media showed the public,,What I saw was enough,,He had no buisness doing what he did to that child. The point is the child could not bring any harm to anyone in his position. And the answer to your ? about why his mother took him there is,,the law made it where you go to jail for spanking your child. So yes the law should be babysitters. I got 3 boys and I stand 5 feet even and 2 of my sons stand over me but they all know the will hit the floor I don't care who don't like it lock me up cause that black and white card is still being played and you know it that why i tell my boys momma beat your ass cause she loves you but them cops going to beat your ass for a laugh and for their own personal joymentso how you know she havn't had problems with the law on controlling him and she got the sart end of the stick see the whole system is built to keep our kids down(black) think about
                                        hillbilly7722 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 13 at 12:19 AM
                                          Hey muchlove, Check this out. I posted it earlier, but maybe you did not see it. I don't know where people get the idea that you can't whip your kids. My favorite part is at the end "to maintain discipline". The kid was not choked, he was restrained and made to listen by a person whom was responsible for that child's well being. There's no law that says you can't whip your kids. There's not law that says you will go to jail if you leave whelps from a whipping on your kid. That's an excuse for not maintaining discipline. And the idea that cops beat up on black kids for the fun of it or their own personal enjoyment is absolutely absurd and I find that you would tell your kids that extremely offensive. I was raised to respect the police, teachers, and other people of authority. People like you are exactly what keeps the race card continuously being played. You and your children have the same opportunities to make a life that I and my children have. The system is not in place to keep black children down. Your opinion on this entire situation would change if this were a white kid, but mine would not. I would still believe that the kid got "a stern talking too" and nothing more.

"Section 13A-3-24 - Use of force by persons with parental, custodial or special responsibilities.

The use of force upon another person is justified under any of the following circumstances:

(1) A parent, guardian or other person responsible for the care and supervision of a minor or an incompetent person, and a teacher or other person responsible for the care and supervision of a minor for a special purpose, may use reasonable and appropriate physical force upon the minor or incompetent person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary and appropriate to maintain discipline or to promote the welfare of the minor or incompetent person."
                                        hillbilly7722 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 13 at 12:46 AM
                                          By the way Muchlove the portion there is only part of that code. You can look up the entire thing by typing Alabama Criminal Code 13a-3-24 into your search engine and read the entire law.
                                        EtLux wrote on Wednesday, Apr 13 at 03:06 PM
                                          and the line is drawn in the sand

African-americans begin to empathize and recall their horrific experiences with "lawless" officials

And law officials begin to defend the actions of a fellow law official

There are some African-americans that are out of control and terrorize neighborhoods

There are police officers that beat innocent black males

The history of these two groups are intertwined with mistrust and a deep seeded disdain

Other groups or nationalities may not understand being pulled over for a "suspicious" reason

Other groups may not understand being "searched" with your private parts groped and inspected

Other groups may not have encountered being stopped for driving a car that is too nice or pulled over and asked what are you doing over here, because of living in a certain neighborhood

"law officials" should remember they allowed police dogs to bite and attack African American children

"law officials" should remember that they were at the core of "suspicious" murders of African American men

"law officials" should remember that it was a young black male shot in the back while handcuffed

"law officials" should remember that they have incarcerated several thousands of innocent black males throughout this country

Blacks should remember that they were considered only 3/5th of a person

Blacks should remember that they were/are considered as property and sources of income

i.e. (college football and college athletics)

Blacks should remember the treatment of the current President of the United States of America

Blacks should remember slave "patrols" and how time changed but it didn't

To deter slaves from escaping the plantation, plantation owners established and frequently encouraged the activities of regional slave patrols.

These white males, often described by the former slaves as "pore white trash," patrolled the areas between plantations and had the unofficial authority to question, and sometimes punish, any slave they encountered traveling between plantations. Their general objective was the control of the black community through physical intimidation.

Historians Kenneth Stampp and Sally Hadden found that slave patrols were closely associated with the local militia, which meant their activities, as a pseudo-police force, were sanctioned by local legislatures. As such, slave owners relied upon the slave patrols to act as a form of law enforcement to monitor the activities of slaves and keep a watchful eye on any potential rebellions. This allowed them to either prevent potential rebellions themselves or notify plantation owners, thus allowing plantation owners to inflict whatever punishments they deemed appropriate.
                                        hillbilly7722 wrote on Wednesday, Apr 13 at 08:36 PM
                                          @ EtLux

I appreciate your words and I definitely see your point. That being said, I am not defending the actions of a fellow law official because he "beat up" a black kid. I am defending his actions because he did not "beat up" anyone. I have never allowed a dog to bite anyone, I have never enslaved anyone, I have never incarcerated anyone without probable cause, I have never stopped a suspicious vehicle and based that suspicion on the color of the occupants or the type of vehicle, I have never assaulted someone just because they were black, I have never seen a law enforcement officer do any of these things. I have never owned a slave (hell, I have never even met a slave) and the reason I have never done any of this is because slavery was abolished over 120 years ago. Blacks have been treated terribly in the nation, as well as in other parts of the world, but I am not responsible for the sins of my father's grandfathers. I do not hold all blacks accountable for the sins of a few, and I don't expect anyone to hold me accountable for things that happened in the civil rights era, almost 2 decades before I was born. It is a scar of the face of America, but it also part of what makes this nation great. We (most of us) have moved past that era, but some cling to it. Muchlove teaches her kids that the police will beat them unmercifully without cause, and that the system is designed to keep black kids down. How is that? We live in a nation where in the matter of 4 decades, we go from African Americans being second class citizens to being a nation led by a black president. Now I am not an Obama supporter at all, but I have no issue with his skin tone. (I actually hoped that Condolezza Rice would be our first African American President, but no one asked me). Law Enforcement Officers are criticized at every turn, and nothing gets attention like a good racial scandal involving the police. I don't think that it's fair to turn this story that way. I know Larry Amerson, and while not being an Amerson supporter, I know that he is not racist, and it's not fair to him, or anyone else in law enforcement, to make this issue about skin color.
                                        EtLux wrote on Thursday, Apr 14 at 12:23 PM
                                          @hillbilly

Something happened between that child and the sheriff

There is the child’s version of the event

There is the sheriff’s version of the event

There is the truth

We can only wait until the truth is told

Which is unfair to both parties

Because while waiting, we begin to form our opinions

While waiting, we begin to choose sides based on our own experiences

As you sit from your “I” sland

You don’t see, hear, or know

And why should you care

Its not you and won’t be you

As you stated,

"I have never ......."

Yet, the organization that you are a part of has..

Murdered

Raped

Assaulted

Sold illegal drugs

And ....

As some move past,

Some lived through that era

Some still have the scars of that era

A group kicked your grandmother and she told you who did it

A group kicked your mother and she told you who did it

A group kicked you and you know who did it

Other than the date, the group is still doing the same thing

The stories of your group has been passed down for generations

And the wicked behavior continues

As a whole the treatment of the President has reminded this generation of what previous generations suffered through. (i.e. the tea party)

When is it racial?

When can a person say that it is about skin color?
                                        hillbilly7722 wrote on Friday, Apr 15 at 03:56 AM
                                          #Etlux

I am not a member of an organization that tolerates Murder, rape, assaults, and drug dealing. Police Officers hold ourselves and out peers to a higher standard than the general public. Blacks argue all the time that they are profiled because of skin color. Who's profiling who here? There are bad cops, just as there are bad doctors, lawyers, military personnel, mechanics, etc. Check your statistics, police officers are less likely to commit crime than members of any other profession. I am not trying to make excuses for dirty cops, across the board, but I cannot recall a single incident in recent history where a police officer has been convicted of a racially motivated crime. I still do not see your point. "When can a person say it is about skin color?" How about when race is a key issue, and in this case, it is not. I am only asking that people (all people, regardless of race) see this for what it is. Whether you believe that he was too rough with the kid or not, there is not one single shred of evidence that indicates that race has anything to do with what happened in that room.
                                        hillbilly7722 wrote on Friday, Apr 15 at 04:11 AM
                                          Just one more thing Etlux. Remember that at the time those incidents took place, blacks were not just mistreated by the police. African Americans were considered second class citizens by all whites, not just the ones with badges and guns. Those officers acted on orders and were public servants following orders. I am not saying that it was right, because it certainly was not. What I am saying is that police were tasked with trying to halt the civil rights movement. The police were a tool of Mayors, City Councilmen, County Commissioners, Governors, and the public which they served. Not an excuse, but it was a different time, a different era, and by the hard work of great leaders like Dr. Martin Luther King, we, as a nation, moved past that. There have been many reforms in law enforcement since then to curtail that activity.