Author Topic: Where are the other 49,000 Straightlings?  (Read 6084 times)

Offline Samara

• View Profile
Re: Where are the other 49,000 Straightlings?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 04:07:06 PM »
I am interested in knowing if any of you plan to share this film with your family in hopes the better understand what Straight was all about? Have any of your families shown any validation at all of your experience?  I don't know why that is so important to me, but it is.  I know that ultimately,  we know what we know. But validation and understanding can be so healing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 04:19:39 PM »
Dad has already seen some trailers and he told me he is looking forward to seeing the complete film.  Mom, well she is another story.  I sure love my mom, but she is still trying to justify putting me in the place and that I needed an "intervention" of some type.   I told her maybe, but I sure as hell didn't need straight.

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 04:28:44 PM »
Quote from: "Samara"
I am interested in knowing if any of you plan to share this film with your family in hopes the better understand what Straight was all about? Have any of your families shown any validation at all of your experience?  I don't know why that is so important to me, but it is.  I know that ultimately,  we know what we know. But validation and understanding can be so healing.

Personally, no.  My mom is in enough pain over her son dying, I do not want to bring her any more.  My dad, yes.  He's interested and wants to know. He even interviewed for the film.  I have gotten emails from some folks who shared the trailer with their parents, and from that ended up getting an apology and validation, which is awesome! :)
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »
KPick: I hope your Mom will watch the film. I understand if she felt helpless but there is no excuse for what happened at Straight. Difficult children don't grow in toxic sludge.

K: I understand why it would be too painful for your Mom. Does she at least recognize that the program was not psychologically sound?  
--So glad other people are being validated. It really does help heal old hurts.

Anyone else?

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 05:01:29 PM »
Quote from: "Samara"
KPick: I hope your Mom will watch the film. I understand if she felt helpless but there is no excuse for what happened at Straight. Difficult children don't grow in toxic sludge.

K: I understand why it would be too painful for your Mom. Does she at least recognize that the program was not psychologically sound?  
--So glad other people are being validated. It really does help heal old hurts.

Anyone else?

Oh i think she recognizes it but at the same time doesn't want to believe it was as bad as it was. Doesn't believe she was ever brainwashed, even though she taught parent raps twice a year for 2.5 years. I think she's in denial about the fact that the shit they were teaching was totally bogus and about the fact that tough love is not the way to go.  C'est la vie.  At this point I'm not going to try to change her mind. She still uses terms like druggie, and still had preconceived nothings about ANYONE who uses drugs.   At the same time I have had my own issues with certain drugs, and I've always been open with her about it.  I really had a time w/ somethings but I was able to get myself off them.  At the same time I'm not one who believes because you shouldn't do coke, heroin, and meth, that that means you can't have a glass of wine or smoke a joint (seeing that weed is a plant not a drug).   So many people believe this lie about all drugs being the same and they are all bad you should not do any of them.  Sure maybe some people choose to steer clear of it all, but again it's not black and white, yet she sees it that way.  Really not my problem at this point, I have no desire to try to "change"  her mind. I can only continue to be open about what I do and see if it can wake her up a bit.  As an example i have a cousin, who she things is awesome.  Well he's smoked weed and done mushrooms.  I asked him if I could share this with her and when I did she was shocked.  But at the same time it might have given her a clue that not everyone just parties to get high (and if they do that's their business) but some people use what God placed her on this planet to gain some insight, or whatever.  I am rambling now. :D
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline quanat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 03:49:49 AM »
exaggerated figures. they all do the same thing. so evil. torture cults faking legitimacy by inventing more customers. :( :(

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 10:59:59 AM »
Gawd, I just gotta say this . . . ."if they were up your ass you'd know where they were" LOL (sorry folks, been restraining myself for about 1 week from saying this, but it's Friday and I'm feeling rather goofy) :)

Offline Sam Kinison

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 06:53:09 AM »
Quote from: "kpickle39"
Dad has already seen some trailers and he told me he is looking forward to seeing the complete film.  Mom, well she is another story.  I sure love my mom, but she is still trying to justify putting me in the place and that I needed an "intervention" of some type.   I told her maybe, but I sure as hell didn't need straight.

You were a 17 year old weekend warrior who smoked weed and drank beer.How many of your old friends are currently accessible on the Florida DOC Website?None?Hmmmm......Looks like they didn't need an intervention....why did you?You needed a chance to grow up!Your mother,like mine,is not ready to face up to the dreadful mistake they made.They probably never will.To justify Straight is to justify sadism and incompetence.