Author Topic: Where are the other 49,000 Straightlings?  (Read 6080 times)

dragonfly

Where are the other 49,000 Straightlings?
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:00:44 PM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
Re: Where are the other 49,000 Straightlings?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:00:01 PM »
Well Dragonfly, if you do the math, it NEVER adds up. Secondly, if there were 50,000 damn straightlings out there and only 400 of them cared enough to visit some sites over the last decade, well, that's 49,400 more that simply don't give enough of a shit to worry about it. Good luck with your search!!  :rocker:

dragonfly

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »

Offline Shadyacres

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 05:40:45 AM »
To bring our stories into the public eye is to invite ridicule and scorn.  I think most of us here believe that to be worthwhile if it can prevent this from happening to more children.  Many of our fellow survivors may not think so, or they may have more to lose.  Or they might be dead, insane or in jail, which can be a self fulfilling prophecy after the program has convinced your parents that you are a lost cause (speaking from experience).  I only very recently got my shit together enough to have a computer and only then did I find this community of survivors.  Of course, I was a "cop-out", I ran as soon as they moved me to phase 2, after 5 months on phase 1.  I got all of the "breaking down" and none of the "building up".  I will never believe that that was healthy for anyone.  Motivating?  Beltlooping?  All those kids carving their arms?  Those goddamned songs?  Nope, we are not the crazy ones, even if it does sometimes seem that way.  Incidentally, I am not even one of those 50,000, I was in LIFE.

dragonfly

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 08:12:21 AM »

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 09:21:47 AM »
well, we all know only a couple straight locations had 300+ clients at any given time. From 1976 until 1993, let's say for argument's sake that there were 9 facilities and 300 kids per year. That's about 45,900 kids total. In reality though, several of the branches didn't even open till mid 80's and most branches didn't have 300 kids per year. It's probably closer to 20,000 TOTAL heads into the scrubbers, out of which about 25 percent are most likely dead. The rest are "out there" somewhere doing whatever...

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 04:06:21 PM »
Quote from: "Rusty Goat"
well, we all know only a couple straight locations had 300+ clients at any given time. From 1976 until 1993, let's say for argument's sake that there were 9 facilities and 300 kids per year. That's about 45,900 kids total. In reality though, several of the branches didn't even open till mid 80's and most branches didn't have 300 kids per year. It's probably closer to 20,000 TOTAL heads into the scrubbers, out of which about 25 percent are most likely dead. The rest are "out there" somewhere doing whatever...

Right except all facilities were not open during that time span and all facilities did not have 250-300 kids at every given time. I'd say it's a good bit less, like you are saying William probably closer to 20,000.
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
Quote from: "dragonfly"

I think you have a good point about the shame of bringing the story out,  I feel attacks of that with the movie coming out...

I hear ya on this although my perspective is different. Do you mean shame of contributing to abuse or just being put in Straight? I hope I'm not being too personal, just curious.  I'm hoping the good out weighs the bad. I've gotten a number of emails from people thanking us for making this film. That it gave them something they could send to their parents, opened up that door of communication.  Not to mention the plethora of current parents it will enlighten so they don't do this to their children. The healing that seems to be starting.  As well as finally being able to hold the criminals responsible for the abuse and the deaths.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 04:31:22 PM »
I agree, Ijust cant see 50,000......I always figured that not counting ,spin offs,and siblings that maybe the tolal of people who actually were on front row probably doesnt exceed 25,000. Now some of those people are going to be in sundry forms of denial , ranging from the people who were only exposed briefly,to those who were long term attendees.Most folks I figure would just like to forget it ever happened.I spent decades trying myself,only to get the ocasional "flash" of rage usually when some jackass or another would try to be controlling, or to presume to tell me how I SHOULD feel or think. Now I wish I could remember and try to purge it in some fashion. Id be willing to bet most are trying to forget or deny ,all to varying degrees that have some connection to how long they were there,and how fucked up they were to start with. It becomes hard to say after a point.....some folks flat out didnt need to be there to begin with,the involvement they had with drugs was minimal or non-existant, there were others of us who hit front row at a real shit point in our lives,only to be furthur beaten down by our supposed "saviors".
I also wonder how many folks went on to do what? Be the ceo of somthing? Join the military? Do time? Just live a life?
The options are fairly broad,and will vary from person to person. I know theres got to be a shitload of walking wounded out there,and lots who dont know why,and many more who wont admit why.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

dragonfly

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »
Quote from: "webdiva"

I think you have a good point about the shame of bringing the story out,  I feel attacks of that with the movie coming out...

I hear ya on this although my perspective is different. Do you mean shame of contributing to abuse or just being put in Straight? I hope I'm not being too personal, just curious.  I'm hoping the good out weighs the bad. I've gotten a number of emails from people thanking us for making this film. That it gave them something they could send to their parents, opened up that door of communication.  Not to mention the plethora of current parents it will enlighten so they don't do this to their children. The healing that seems to be starting.  As well as finally being able to hold the criminals responsible for the abuse and the deaths.

I wonder also how many parents went to their graves ,full of regret for the roles they had in it.How many families who waddled thier asses into str8 on the last legs of hope only to run aground and be crushed on the programs bullshit? How many children just split and never spoke to family again? or died full of rage towards parents.Yeah there's a fair amount of shame that comes with the idea of " I was locked up in this bizzaro-monkeyfarm-from-hell place",and then if one would bravely tell of the experience,the agast looks and statements of disbelief,would be enough to remind you not to do that shit again. People in general never want to believe monsters sometimes are quite real,and do exist,and may live next door.
It's easier to deny, go back to watching dancing with the stars or football,and whining about some superficial thing or the other.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
Web Diva...I was saying that some folks might just not want to admit they were in there out of embarrassment and shame...

Like if your an upstanding citizen with a fancy career, you might want to keep Straight in the realm of secrets...

Of course the movie might put a whole new cultural perspective out there, or begin to call awareness to abuse as "treatment", which might help folks come out of the woodwork...

For some, the risk of prestige and reputation might be more pressing than the need to talk about it...

That's when I wonder if we are the minority, stuck in our own form of group and the vast majority just chose to live a busy life and bury the insanity in being functional and successful...

I'm just questioning out loud for the hell of it...

I know there is no way to answer these questions really, I'm just realizing some of my assumptions lately as I ponder how in the fuck I could have wasted 20 odd years trying to shake the brainwash out of my head...

sometimes I wonder if I'd a been better off just repressing the whole thing and living a lie rather than trying to sort through mental bleach...

...I keep remembering though..."It's different this time cause the Houston police are involved" and that helps a little, I mean thank god for that at least...

I can dig that although I would think if someone was worried about people finding out they just would not go public with the fact that they were in there? Just as some stayed anonymous in the film for that reason, understandably so.  

See with me had no one come out and posted online about the truth, I never would have known what really happened to my brother, so personally I'm thankful for that but again I'm coming at it from a different angle.  I do get where you're coming from.

dragonfly

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 05:20:18 PM »

dragonfly

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 05:23:53 PM »

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 02:29:18 AM »
When I first came on the forum 9 or so years ago, it used to perplex me quite a bit that there were so few members.  For what it's worth, in all practical terms, the whole Straight Experience was just a blink in time for the clients who came from families that are good at sweeping things under the rug.  I mean, would any of you join an organization that worshiped the proud ownership of Yugos?  You remember them don't you?  About the biggest pieces of shit in automotive history?  Would you even own one if it were given to you??  Over the years, I have run into people that I knew in the program and most times I am avoided after that glimmer of recognition is over.  I don't let it bother me any more.  

In 1977, I was at Tampa Stadium attending a Led Zeppelin concert that ended up in a riot.  It was also a life changing event, yet no one felt the need for a Reunion.  It was not even mentioned in the book "Hammer of the Gods," but has been mentioned in other music biographies of that time period.  There were close to 75 thousand people at that event, and having lived in the Tampa Bay area all of my life, I can say that I've run into less than ten people in the past 25 years that were there and can talk about it. I can only hope that the documentary will help bring about a change in this situation and hopefully change this country's  drug policy in the future
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?