Author Topic: Fix My Kid - Trailer  (Read 16349 times)

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fix My Kid - Trailer
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:00:34 PM »
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:44:55 AM by webdiva »
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Re: Surviving Straight Inc. the Documentary - Trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:40:31 AM »
That was an intense one minute and forty-five seconds of viewing. I can imagine that it took a lot from those who took part in the project to make it. I admire all of you who collaborated on the documentary and dared to really go back to that dark place in order to bring the twisted legacy of it to light.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »
Quote from: "Inculcated"
That was an intense one minute and forty-five seconds of viewing. I can imagine that it took a lot from those who took part in the project to make it. I admire all of you who collaborated on the documentary and dared to really go back to that dark place in order to bring the twisted legacy of it to light.

Yep it sure did. Especially the re-enactments that we recently filmed. A lot of healing going on as well though!
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »
One of the possible potential effects I hope this film will have is giving program parents a more graphic understanding of what occurred at Straight and similar entities. Not to blame parents, but to give them an opportunity to heal relationships with their children after years of invalidation, by simply saying "I get it now. I am deeply sorry you went through this experience." Invalidation is one of the most painful things one can face post-program.  What are some thoughts on this?  Will anyone be sharing this film with their families in hopes of forging a greater understanding? Has anyone's family already started the revelation process?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:44:07 AM »
I know I will be doing that sometime (I admit part of it would be wanting them to see the movie I co-produced.) I've kind of already been there with them, though..so i will be in no rush to do this. But I can certainly see how people newer to the whole deal would be wanting their families to see it; it could prove very helpful, of course! As for me, my mom now believes that all drugs should be legalized; this in and of itself is almost enough for me (for without the Drug War, there could have been no Straight Inc to begin with).

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 11:13:09 AM »
It will be great for the family to see the finished product; what is available now is thought provoking! Richard has a great manner about him. The group dynamic is unsettling.  

What I really want though is for folks to understand that addict or regular kid, this is NOT humane, acceptable, or therapeutic. Period. I want the validation.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 11:23:51 AM »
Quote from: "Samara"
this is NOT humane, acceptable, or therapeutic [for anyone at all]. Period. I want the validation.

This always should have been face-slappingly obvious, but denial is a powerful thing.
(They want to hang on to what the program told them.)

Maybe this film will serve to rub people's noses in how bad it was?

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
It just seems that having the visual representation and articulate discussion in a legitimized docu-setting might reach "believers" more readily. Before, it is too easy to shrug off "fucked up" kids.  They brought into the criminalization of youths, and thus their undeservability of having a voice.  This movie combined with the very real and obvious 20 year after effects should be somewhat convincing.

I think one of the freaky things still is how it operated out in the open. I mean it was sort of hidden in plain view, whereas a program like CEDU was in a remote setting. Even our groups were small. When we had raps, students were broken into randomized 10-15 kids and sequestered in different rooms for hours (good luck if you needed a rest room), and the overriding mandate is nothing said here leaves here. It was all secrecy shrouded in secrecy.  Parents were given the dog and pony show maybe every 3 or 4 months and they did not stay on campus.

My understanding is that Straight parents were more available but that the open family meetings were watered down - so they didn't understand that the Straight only meetings were as out of control and freaky as they were? Yes/No?  I'm sorry, but motivating is  a freak show. It reminds me of populaces living under tyranny that are required to show devotion to a regime with extreme gesticulations of undying submission.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 12:23:22 PM »
I guess enough people haven't killed themselves? I suppose this movie had to me made not only to document American history, but to serve as a vehicle for understanding. Trust (provided there is that), and adequate verbal description can go some measure to "legitimize," but it is easier to pop in a dvd!

Yes, it was practically under people's noses...wtf?
I guess political endorsement goes a long way with those who believe they are being led (and then are led).

"Confidentiality" went a long way to cover their asses... didn't CEDU try to shut the kids up with something like that?

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 12:51:32 PM »
"Confidentiality" was the hammer to enforce the therapeutic abuses. Therapeutic doesn't even belong in the equation. Therapeutic was a balls out blatant bullshit lie.

I agree with the DVD facilitation opportunity. And when your folks watch that film, is there any way they can NOT see that nut hole for what it is? I mean how do you invalidate any part of that program after watching this?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 01:00:53 PM »
And this was just the trailer...

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 01:09:54 PM »
samara said:
"motivating is a freak show"

The motivating eveolved  from the rapid finger snap. Every kid did it in the seed. But it served the same purpose. To get called on in group.Funny thing though,it was the kids thatdidn't do it were called on more,'cause they looked lazy.I guess straight didn' like all the noise. Any seedlings out there still know how to do the snap?
?©?€~¥@

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Surviving Straight Inc. the Documentary
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »
The link to the facebook page about the movie, please send to everyone and post everywhere:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Surviving ... 5029546219

Thanks!!!

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 03:53:28 PM »
done.  I keep thinking about just how fucking nuts the whole thing was. And how clueless the staff/administators/founders are as to the residual effects,or collateral damage might be. and just how nobody wants to admit this REALLY DID HAPPEN.
 Why is it that across the fuckin globe people get fucked hard just for being who they are?
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 03:59:50 PM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
samara said:
"motivating is a freak show"

The motivating eveolved  from the rapid finger snap. Every kid did it in the seed. But it served the same purpose. To get called on in group.Funny thing though,it was the kids thatdidn't do it were called on more,'cause they looked lazy.I guess straight didn' like all the noise. Any seedlings out there still know how to do the snap?
 I think the "snap" you refer to is done by kind of shaking your hand while letting your index finger go limp,no?
we did that shit in str8 too,least back in my time........Woof? 84D.J. ?    yall remember?
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad