Author Topic: new here, from MI Straight  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Mamma Bird

• View Profile
new here, from MI Straight
« on: June 26, 2003, 07:21:00 PM »
At the troubled age of 13, I went with my parents to Plymouth to check out "a really neat family counseling place" they'd heard of. I thought it must be really neat for both Barbara Bush and Princess Di to be on the wall. Needless to say I was soon in an intake room being mercilessly pummeled with questions regarding drugs I'd never even heard of and sexual situations that seemed like jokes except these people were so, so serious.
 After the shocking and cheesy "hi ----, loooooove ya ----" I was treated to evening rap changes portion motivation. The fourth phasers were literally falling off of their chairs.
 It quickly became apparent that simply being there meant I had a drug problem. So after a few weeks I "admitted" to this. After a few months I believed it.
 I spent a year and a half there. I never graduated. After my umpteenth setback, I finally misbehaved so badly (I did things that still make me cringe with shame even as I know it was so worth it to get OUT) that they sent me home. My parents were soooo disapointed (I was so suprised I was being allowed to live in their home since they'd repeatedly assured me I could never do this without graduating). I was sure, being just a "hurting little girl with a drug problem" who "didn't know shit", that I would soon be a prostitute, working to support my heroin habit (I had never even been really drunk before Straight). I had nightmares for years that authority figures (my algebra teacher, my boss etc) were restraining me. My anger was uncontainable. I still hate that fucking place so much. I was overjoyed when it shut down.
 13 years later I'm still not ok. I still don't trust anyone else or even really myself. I keep trying though.
 I am so glad I found this place. I don't why it never occured to me to do an internet search sooner, and my jaw dropped when I saw all the listings.
  Wishing a little peace for us all,

a former phaser
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 09:58:00 PM »
Glad you found us. You are not alone with your confusion. Just about everyone here knows exactly how you feel.  ::heart::
Morli

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 10:27:00 PM »
Hello, welcome to this Forum. I was in Springfield straight in 1983. I can safely say that they had no business doing what they did to kids and young adults like I was. (21)
The real sad part is how many of the people I sat in group with and many others throughout the entire web of straights are gone now from suicide. Another big problem is that the straight treatment model still exists in Michigan (Pathway) and Cincinatti, Indianapolis, Orlando, etc etc...
I hope you find some people you know, there's a few here from MI. Take care.

MG8 :smokin:

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 02:29:00 AM »
When were you there? I was there from 87 to 89. I hope I wasn't your horrible oldcomer or something. I never believed any of their shit. I just learned to play the game and say what they wanted to hear so I could get the hell outta there. My parrents were brainwashed so there was no leaving before I graduated. I'm proud that place never broke my will or spirit. There was alot of catty girls who hatin on me too in there oh so caring ripping ways. What bullshit! Yeah, I turned out to have an okay life unlike their doomdays tales of what will happen if you ever deviate from their cult like ways.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Mamma Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 04:54:00 PM »
I was there 88-90. I think I know who you are and have talked to you since leaving...sagnasty, no?
You were never horrible to me, in fact you were kind and chatted about philosophy, but your host sister was EVIL. I doubt you much cared for her either.
 I hope you are well and to hear back from you.

EL