Author Topic: National Heritage Triangle of America's fundamental symbols  (Read 880 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
National Heritage Triangle of America's fundamental symbols
« on: December 05, 2003, 12:10:00 PM »
We noticed that you had posted the NY Times Op-Ed article ?The Un-Pilgrims?.  Your interest may also extend to various postings on a similar subject including the one named ?Six Year Summary? on  http://www.gothamcenter.org/discussions ... ForumID=49
To get the National Heritage Triangle accomplished we must now find only one State Senator and one State Representative with the initiative and courage to sponsor a bill.  There will then be enough co-sponsors to make the tolerance park Historic New Amsterdam on Governors Island law in the same way that Central Park on Manhattan was mandated by the State (not the City) Legislature 150 years ago.  Your interest and proactive [internet] advocacy could help create the necessary constituencies to have the politicians take note and make it happen.  Sincerely, J. de Koning
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
National Heritage Triangle of America's fundamental symbols
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 01:19:00 PM »
Greetings M. de Koning. I found the article very informative. Not that it was really all new info. to me. It caught my eye because I did know some of the history left out of the coloring book version taught in schools.

Instead, every Thanksgiving (or any other historical date, for that matter) I like to read up and try and learn something and to share a little more rich history with my friends and family. Of course, this makes me every bit as much of a bore as my dad was when I was a kid. But I've come to understand why it's so important.

So, on Thanksgiving day, we're not just celebrateing the Pilgrims' first and (possibly) last friendly bash with the local Iroquois. We're also celebrating the harvest just like the ancient Germanic tribes have always done and the end of another good year, the beginning of another winter season and the fact that we're all safe and warm and together once again.

I have no opinion, however, about how New York city or state should spend public funding or use public lands. That's just not my gig.

If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the
government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees.

--President Bill Clinton

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes