Author Topic: Art Barker & the Beginning of the SEED  (Read 29850 times)

Offline ccgar61

• View Profile
Art Barker & the Beginning of the SEED
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »
Hey Trucker,

If you would like to send Art a message let me know and i will get it to him.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2004, 02:42:00 PM »
Why not just look him up and give him a call?

"Replace end user" (The Top Support Call Closer 10 Years Running)

--Bastard Administrator

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2004, 03:06:00 PM »
On 2004-10-15 10:27:00, ccgar61 wrote:

"Hey Trucker,

If you would like to send Art a message let me know and i will get it to him."

You still in touch?  I must say it doesnt surprise me.

Get a message to Art for me, tell him I would love to have a chat with him on a friendly basis over the phone or in person. We could talk about the good old times and we could discuss the episode by the poolside, where he acquired the synanon cult techniques, what the connection between Art Barker, The synanon, Robert Dupont, the rapid expansion in 1973 and the federal grants he received were.

Better yet, invite him to post here or even a yahoo chat session. I think he owes us all that.

Whadda think????

:idea:

gregfl

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »
Greg have another sandwich ::bigsmilebounce::

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2004, 12:35:00 AM »
Er, sure..two sandwiches today?

Make mine a swimmer, I always loved those nutritrious babies.  Naw, changed my mind, give me a peanut butter and mayonesse, stinking hot with a small cup of cool aide...just to show your love!!!

Offline TRUCKER

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »
Do you remember an amature night open meeting ? I did a stand up comedy act with some Jerry Clower/Jeff Foxworthy type lines as portraing a real southern hickabilly. It might have even been around xmas. Do you remember a young boy who was brought to the Seed from Ohio(frist one) on the guise of seeing his cousin who was in the Seed only to being processed in by his parents? I remember J.U. asking him in front of the group if he thought he was going to have a hard time finding dope in Fl. He had a large bag of pot and some coke in his boot when he was searched.It wasnt long after that Art came before the group and said Cleveland was going to be the next target city.My first newcomer arrived from Cleveland right after that.Funny, he graduated from the program before me.It seems to me that the more I read other post that I remember more?
      TRUCKER

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2004, 08:01:00 AM »
I vaguely remember this- are your initials SS
or were you a Bruce Lee fan like some truckers?

Offline Robin Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2004, 03:30:00 AM »
THE YEAR WAS 1971... When Art Barker started the Seed in St Pete he had come from Miami, a member of AA and clean & sober for 17 years.  If everyone can remember the 12 steps...they were based on the AA credo and which now haved become the NA (narcotics anoymous) credo.  He had a home in Broward county w/ many rooms and started from there.  When he realized the need for what he was trying to accomplish, he made a deal w/ Morgan Yachts who sublet his warehouse to be the hall for the St Pete Seed.  Well, for all you newbies out there, I voluntered to induct myself in The Seed when Ms. Petermann's daughter ****, was a staff member.  My mother had begged me for several years about getting 'help' to no avail.  I called my mom in the middle of the night with abcessed arms and knowing if I didn't get clean, I had no reason to live.  Charlie ***** dad had donated his warehouse we held our meetings in.  Art Barker was the program Director.  When I returned to Clearwater High School to finish my education, everyone was saying we had been "brainwashed", "programmed" and to turn away everything evil. I could go on and on about the bullshit I went through or I can praise those that put up with my bullshit.  Regardless, I am ALIVE today because of those people who cared enough about ME to put me through that hell!! Any alumni's out there, or anyone with any doubt...please feel free to contact me at [email protected] :nworthy:[

[ This Message was edited by: Somejoker on 2004-10-26 10:46 ]
bid you peace!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks Robin for your Post we share the same sentiments

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2004, 01:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the post Robin. Some of your facts aren't exactly accurate but your sentiment comes thru clearly.

The Seed came to St Pete in June of 1973, and the building was not donated at all but the seed was given one year free rent. After that they purchased the building outright for under 300,000 dollars.

Mrs. Peterman did my intake as well, boldface lying to me telling me if I didn't like it after two days I could sign myself out.  I was strip searched and berated for around 6 hours before I finally did it. Two days later they laughed when I raised my hand and said I was ready to go.

Abcessing arms, eh?  Were you a shooting drugs? If so, you were one of the few back then in the seed that actually did so.

Glad you stopped and glad you have a good life. Welcome to the forum. Do me one favor, we are trying to be carefull about mentioning peoples first and last names that were in the seed unless they were inner core types.  I have edited out Charlies last name in your post out of respect for him and his privacy. Also Mrs. Peterman's daughter.

Thanks again.

[ This Message was edited by: Somejoker on 2004-10-26 10:45 ]

Offline Robin Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2004, 10:04:00 PM »
Thanks Greg for correcting me in regards to the building being provided "rent free" for the 1st year - you are correct.  1973??  I could have sworn it was '71 but then again, I was so f***** up.  I never thought I would forgot my intake date!!  Actually, Susie did my intake and "boldface lied to me telling me if I didn't like it after two days I could sign myself out". Yeah, right - best lie I've ever been told!!  Yes, I was shooting drugs and never have after the day I entered.  I really don't care what they did or how they did it but for a hardcore chickie, it worked and made my life a lot clearer and gave me access to a whole new world which I will be forever grateful.  Sorry for  using full names - understand!  Thanks for the response!

Marijuana clearly has medicinal value.
 Thousands of seriously ill Americans have
 been able to determine that for themselves,
 albeit illegally. Like my own family, these
 individuals did not wish to break the law but
 they had no choice.

--Lyn Nofziger, former deputy chairman of the Republican National Committee

bid you peace!

Offline Robin Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2004, 10:06:00 PM »
Thanks!  Sometimes I wonder if I'm alone in my beliefs as to what the Seed REALLY did for me.  Then again, it's not as important as the end result, you know?

To go to Journal of Applied Polymer Science go to http://www3.interscience.wiley.com and then journal search and put the journal number and year
-- Journal of Applied Polymer Science  Vol. 47, 1984

bid you peace!

Offline Somejoker

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2004, 10:24:00 PM »
Robin, I have a few quesions and a comment for you.

First the comment...If you were shooting drugs before the seed and after graduating no longer did, That is obviously a positive result and I commend YOU.

Now the question, if you are going to credit the seed for that, than who do we blame for Seed graduates that never shot drugs before the Seed and did so after?

Hint (a graduate friend of mine did just that and died).

If someone wasn't suicidal before the seed and shot himself as an oldcomer or after graduating jumped off the skyway feeling worthless and alone, who again is to blame?

another hint (true stories of true oldcomers and graduates).

Why did so many seed graduates in St Pete start using drugs again? Why is one on death row right now?

My point being is...Who really "saved" you?

final hint  (look in the mirror)
[ This Message was edited by: Somejoker on 2004-10-26 19:25 ][ This Message was edited by: Somejoker on 2004-10-26 19:25 ]

Offline Robin Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2004, 11:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the congrats! I had a lot of help.

Well - first, one has to WANT to change, right?
which I so desperately did.

Second, I think most of us had some form of 'demon' and made a choice OR NOT to get to the core and get to work on the changes.

Third, is to realize if "you're going through hell, keep on going" -Winston Churchill

...and I did!!!

I give the Seed credit in providing me the tools in which to take command of my life.  It's very sad to hear someone has gone back to an old lifestyle or is in constant struggle for happiness - never feeling worthy of the grace  to be alive.  Due to many trials in my life, there were times after graduation that I too, considered suicide, but alas, I'm chicken.

It sounds so cliche, but I never believe there is anyone to blame but ourselves for our choices and behaviors.

Yes - I look in the mirror every day and give thanks for another day above ground.
bid you peace!

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2004, 11:38:00 PM »
The only time in my entire life I seriously contemplated suicide was when I was sixteen, a seed graduate, and my father was plotting to throw me back in the program.

After I got away from him and the threat of the seed I started recovering, but it took years.