Author Topic: Art Barker & the Beginning of the SEED  (Read 29499 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Art Barker & the Beginning of the SEED
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2004, 10:04:00 AM »
then its a big fat quaking fucking duck
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2004, 10:28:00 AM »
Greg, please coment on the latest Post;. Differences between Straight and Seed. Thanks.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2004, 06:34:00 PM »
Done

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2004, 01:38:00 AM »
I went to "The Seed" in 1973 at an old abandoned race track in Miami.  My father saved my life by putting me in the program.  I had been living in Virginia with my Mom and I was getting into a lot of trouble doing drugs, running away.  I was on a downward spiral.  The Seed helped me to become drug free and also to stay away from the old druggie friends when I returned to Virginia.
The misconception that kids were brainwashed was ludacrious.  The Seed and Art Barker should be commended for an excellent program well run.  I'm sorry to hear that it is nonexistant.  If you want proof of my experience in the program I will be more then happy to elaborate more.
Sincerely,
SBennett-K  email address [email protected]

Offline Filobeddoe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2004, 11:30:00 AM »
Greetings SBennett-K!

It is great to hear your positive experience with the Seed & we would like to hear more about your time there. As you read the threads of this forum, you will probably feel you are in the minority... but not alone.

I too was in a "downward spiral" when I went into the program in '75 & the experience changed the direction of my life.

As far as brainwashing goes.. it is pretty obvious to me & most others that it was central to the program. Be open minded & read of other's experiences & contrast and compare to yours.

Remember----- anyone posting about their experiences with the Seed was in the SAME program as you were, so you should consider their feelings/conclusions as sincere.

Greg[ This Message was edited by: Filobeddoe on 2004-09-04 08:32 ]

Offline rjfro22

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2004, 03:18:00 PM »
The Seed saved my life as well, and I am forever grateful to Art Barker. Through 71 and 73,  I  was accepted with open arms and tough love
and my family had no money and I knew many people that were on the program that paid out nothing . If a family could afford it they probably were encouraged to donate. Yes it was tough
at times, but I was incapable of running my own live and the Seed helped me with the basic principles. I always remember the "keep it simple stupid"  Does anyone remember that one or am I confusing that with something eles? Anyway that saying still applies to me to this day. I always remember Art saying " There is a little truth to everything, but nothing is all true".  He was right on the money . Art should be praised for the good he did, and yes he is a Hero in my book.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2004, 03:56:00 PM »
praise away guys. all opinions are encouraged here.

Welcome both of you. Please read thru the sdf and then post us a story on a specific experience you had while at the seed, what location, etc.

Welcome to the SDF!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
On 2004-09-03 22:38:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I went to "The Seed" in 1973 at an old abandoned race track in Miami.  My father saved my life by putting me in the program.  I had been living in Virginia with my Mom and I was getting into a lot of trouble doing drugs, running away.  I was on a downward spiral.  The Seed helped me to become drug free and also to stay away from the old druggie friends when I returned to Virginia.

The misconception that kids were brainwashed was ludacrious.  The Seed and Art Barker should be commended for an excellent program well run.  I'm sorry to hear that it is nonexistant.  If you want proof of my experience in the program I will be more then happy to elaborate more.

Sincerely,

SBennett-K  email address [email protected]"

ELABORATE PLEASE:

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2004, 11:36:00 PM »
On 2004-09-03 22:38:00, Anonymous wrote:

My father saved my life by putting me in the program.  I had been living in Virginia with my Mom and I was getting into a lot of trouble doing drugs, running away.  I was on a downward spiral.  

The misconception that kids were brainwashed was ludacrious.  "

So tell me, Did every Kid that ran away or did some illegal drug you know that didn't go to the seed Die?  Did every kid that went to the seed survive?  How can you make such a bold statement that it "saved your life" with no evidence other than a constant drilling of this information into your head while in the program? Interesting that all pro seed supporters seem to spew this very same line....

And you must know how I personally respond to your statement that brainwashing in the Seed was "ludicrious", so lets look at some other comments from other people.....

"Some people call it brainwashing. If that's what it is, then give it to me"."

A seed parent being interviewed by Staff writer Judy MckNight, St Pete Times, Circa 3/73.

Seed uses "the highly refined brainwashing techniques employed by the North Koreans in the early 1950s

Senator Sam J. Ervin Jr., prefacing his report, "Individual rights and the federal role in behavior modification."

"There are indications that a cult of The Seed has developed"

from a House congressional committee staff report on the seed.

speaking of a direct seed descendent copycat program called the SAFE, Inc which uses substantially similar techniques,sings the same songs, follows the same steps and open meeting confessionalls....Internationally known Cult Expert Steve Hassan, author of "breaking the bonds"

"SAFE fits my model of a destructive mind control cult"

and in conclusion.....

"its a form of brainwashing"

Art Barker, speaking of the techniques of the seed, to the Miami Herald 8/19/72

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2004-09-07 20:44 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2004, 11:40:00 PM »
Art should be praised for the good he did

If so, then should he be accountable for the harm he did?

and yes he is a Hero in my book. "

you and I have a different book, have experiences colored by our personal perspectives.

As a side note, I just read an article where Tom Cruise said scientology "really is the shit" and praised L Ron Hubbard. I bet you a dollar he doesn't think he is in a cult......

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2004, 03:55:00 PM »
This is all so interesting! I can remember in 1974, my mother picked me up from school and said we were going shopping. Next thing I knew I was on State Road 84 and The Seed. The only thing I knew about the seed was that the people from school who went there came back acting very strangely. It seemed the people that were there at the time were non voluntary juveniles like myself or court ordered cases. Shelly and Art were there at the time along with his daughter Suzie Barker. We ate three meals a day which consisted of pb and jelly and the eve meal was bologna and cheese. We went from 10 to 10 and there was even a song which stated that. I can still remember alot of the staff and the "seedlings" as we were referred to. I did not complete the program but did stay active for about
2 years. thanks for the memories.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2004, 05:21:00 PM »
About 3 years ago I ran into a Seed kid that was still very active in the group. He told me that the Seed was having a reunion, a couple days later I called the Seed and spoke with staff and basically invited myself to the reunion. When I got to the reunion I felt very nervous and strange because I did not leave the Seed on the best of terms. As I walked into the hotel I was made to feel very welcomed and loved saw a bunch of the staff and people that stayed for years after they graduated. People were very happy to see me and I felt almost euphoric. As I was sitting at the table talking to one of my old roommates I felt someone's hand on my shoulder as I turned around I found myself looking at Shelly. She had a big welcoming smile on her face and said, "You're not going to leave tonight without saying hello to Art". I stood up and nervously walked over with her. I will never forget Art's smile as he saw me. I had left the Seed 10 years earlier I thought there was no way he would have remembered me. He stood up and gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek. We talked for a little while nothing important just two old friends happy to see each other. It's funny how time and age changed my perceptive. I used to fear him almost to the point of resentment and now I felt nothing but compassion and heart felt love. When you got to know him I mean really know him you felt his compassion and love for his people and this was genuine. This was to be the last Seed reunion and I felt very lucky to be part of it. After this I kept in touch with him. Every once in awhile I'll call him to say hello make sure he's okay he has helped me with decisions and problems I have had in my life never once asking for anything in return. I never looked at him as perfect but I had never met a man who tried as hard as he did to lead by example.

Offline rjfro22

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2004, 06:26:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story about the reunion,  I have nothing but love in my heart for Art and Shelly and  staff members.  May they live long healthy lives.

Offline TRUCKER

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2004, 10:46:00 AM »
One day I hope to get the same chance to say "Thank You", to all the ones who believed in me when I didnt. Some of you who read this know what I truly feel and know what I am talking about.

TRUCKER

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2004, 11:51:00 AM »
Trucker-I know I probably know you- can you give your initials or something as a hint?/TK