Author Topic: Art Barker & the Beginning of the SEED  (Read 29454 times)

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
Art Barker & the Beginning of the SEED
« on: November 26, 2003, 04:24:00 PM »
Does anyone have any concrete evidence on how "The Seed" began?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 10:30:00 PM »
You must already know that it was the offspring of SYNANON.

Flow Chart

[ This Message was edited by: Froderik13 on 2003-11-26 19:31 ]

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 08:39:00 AM »
Yes, I know that Robert DuPont said that The Seed's methods were based on a synanon from Synanon.  But that is not what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for specifics and concrete evidence of how it actually began.  Was Art in the Synanon?  If so, is there evidence of this?  Or was he recruited by someone else (say in the gov't) to start and experimental rehab.  I need details.  Do you know what I mean?  

Thanks, Kathy
Kathy

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 11:18:00 AM »
I figured as much, but some time went by and I thought "What the hell, I'll post the link to the flow chart.." I figured you were most likely up to speed with this, but wasn't sure..as far as specifics, you'll have to consult the 'experts' from Florida on that one I guess. I have no idea. Ginger? GregFL?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 11:49:00 AM »
Greg might know more than I do. But, as far as I know, it's sort of a mystery. The legend goes that Art started out living on an unseaworthy yacht docked at the Playboy Club, where he did a $20 stand up gig once a month. I don't know of any documentation, other than Art quoted in the local press. Somewhere on his site, Wes has a copy of a NIDA grant application. But that was a year or more after The Seed's founding.

May the fleas of one thousand llamas infest your armpits
--One ticked off sysadmin

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 11:25:00 AM »
Kathy, currently all we have is self serving statements art made in the press. we all know his techniques came from the synanon, but Art last year refused to acknowledge any connection to any other program. He always insisted they were his techniques melded with the aa Techniques.

We know better...

Everything that people say to you is personal. Whether it is constructive criticism or not will determine whether it cam from and asshole or not.

----Bill Warbis

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2003, 07:19:00 AM »
Hey Greg!
Thanks for the info.  When you say "last year he refused to acknowledge..."  Did you talk to him?  Wow.
Kathy

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 01:54:00 PM »
No, a friend of mine who was in the seed and now a reporter had lunch with him.

There are two kinds of people; those who's lives have been somehow touched by harsh tragedy and those you don't know very well.
-- Ginger Warbis

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 09:53:00 PM »
I went to the seed back in 1970ish when it was a small house in Fort Laudadale, they searved free meals which at the time attracted a lot of young teenagers ,and art some of lot  of the meetings and he told us over and over he took the basic steps from AA FROM WHAT I REMEMBER HE WAS ONCE A STAND UP COMIC. . HE ACTUALLY DEVELOPE THE SEED STLYE IN THAT SMALL HOUSE. HIS
YOUNG WIFE AT THE TIME HANDLE THE OFFICE AFFAIRS. SIGNING PEOPLE UP FOR
THE PROGRAM. HOW IS ART BARKER? I ALWAYS THINK OF HIM, HE REALLY DID SAVE MY LIFE. I HOPE HE IS ALIVE AND HEALTHY. I ALSO STAYED WITH THE SEED
WHEN THEY MOVED TO A BIGGER HOUSE ON FEDRAL HIGHWAY OR A1A I CAN'T REMEMBER, BEFORE WE ENDED UP ON STATE RD 84 IN A LARGER WAREHOUSE. I HAVE A LOT OF MEMORIES AND ACTUALLY KEEP IN TOUCH WITH SEVERAL PEOPLE FROM THE EARLIER DAYS.
I REMEMBER SOME REALLY GREAT PEOPLE  THAT RELLY MADE A DIFFERENCE. I WOULD  LOVE TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE FROM THAT TIME. MY NAME IS RICHARD FROST MY EMAIL IS  [email protected]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 10:00:00 PM »
Welcome Richard. You are one of the few we have heard of from the very early days. The Seed actually started in Miami. I didn't know about a house and/or a small place on Federal Hwy...tell us more!!!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2004, 10:04:00 PM »
My name was Ginger McNulty. You almost have to remember me, though I don't think I remember you by name. I remember 1315 Andrews Ave and SR. 84. I was Jim, Thom and Jack's little sister. Jim married Pam Orcutt. I was the little blond girl choking on the cloud of tobacco smoke every Friday night at Open meeting and afterward, falling asleep in a back booth at Denny's.

Come the millennium,

month 12,

in the home of greatest power,

the village idiot will come forth to
be acclaimed the leader.
--Nostradamus

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 08:05:00 PM »
Gregfl,
            It has been so many years ago,
probably 1971 . i was 16 or 17
so my memory of the address of this small house is foggy. Art may have started something in miami  but the root of the seed started at this house in ft lauderdale
there were probaby 15 to 30  people at the time.  we moved to a bigger place on A1A or federal highway? near state road 84 where  i left for about a year and when i came back they had moved to this big gated warehouse on state rd 84 below 441. it was an isolated area with lot a woods around it. it had grown to several hundred or more people.
 it had become a big think in south florida the drug problem was sevre at the time and I believe Art was in the process of starting a seed in miami. Thats how i remember it, but i will talk with old friends and come up with more facts. i have lived in california for the last 27 years so i really can't remember addresses.
The great part about the earliest days is we really got to know Art Barker one on one. He was was quite the character. I sure would like to know how he is doing. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN GET IN CONTACT WITH ART BARKER. JUST TO SAY THANKS.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 08:58:00 PM »
Art Barker is a sickly old man now with a neurological disorder, but he is still married to Shelly. He lives in the same house donated by Seed parents in about 1972 or so.

Art Barker surrounds himself with the staff members/inner circle cult members that he entrusted for so many years, and they remain tight. I do not have his address, but a google search on his name and address will help you if you wish to write him a letter.

I personally would also like to talk to him but I think our conversations would take on decidly different directions.

Please give us a story from the early days. Did he really operate an open house with free food for teenagers? The Moonies used to do that when I was in college to recruit. Very very intersting...

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2004, 09:05:00 PM »
Here you go...

BARKER,ART & SHELLY  

Mailing Address
 1314 E LAS OLAS BLVD #1343
FT LAUDERDALE FL 33301

If you wish to write him a letter. Better hurry he is not in good health last I heard.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2004, 01:05:00 AM »
GINGER,
              I CERTAINLY REMEMBER THE MCNULTY NAME, DID YOU GO TO THE SMALL HOUSE AS WELL THE ONE BEFORE ST ANDREWS, I CAN'T REMEMBER THE ADDRESS.  DO YOU STILL KEEP IN TOUCH WITH SOME OF THE OTHER MEMBERS.
WHERE YOU ON STAFF? I DID LEAVE AND COME BACK  COUPLE OF TIMES BEFORE I PUT IN A COUPLE OF YEARS A SOBRIETY AT THE STATE RD 84 SEED WHEN THEY FIRST GOT THERE AROUND 1973. I HAVE  ALOT OF
FOND MEMORIES OF THE PLACE AND OF CAUSE ALOT OF PAIN TO GET THROUGH
SOME OFTHAT STINKING THINKING.

I REMEMBER SOME GREAT PEOPLE,  LIBBY, SUZY, SHELLY ,JOHN , I STILL KEEP SOMEWHAT IN TOUCH WITH SEVERAL OLD SEEDLINGS EVEN THOUGH I LIVE IN CA

GINGER,
FEEL FREE TO EMAIL
REGARDS,
RICHARD FROST

GregFL,
              thanks for Art's address, i will send a letter tommorrow.