Author Topic: To current and former prisoners  (Read 2316 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline N.I.

  • Posts: 86
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
To current and former prisoners
« on: December 28, 2004, 12:23:00 PM »
Current and former prisoners of abusive treatment programs (and your allies such as friends and parents):

There may be time limits on several things in your state or county. I would suggest that you obtain any documents that pertain to yourself as soon as possible, before their required storage time runs out. Records that may be helpful to you are complete school records, complete medical records, and complete psychological records. In the case that you are not able to get the complete psychological records, I would suggest that you find a sympathetic psychological professional to request them for you.

If you experienced or witnessed anything in your treatment program that you think might be a crime, I would suggest that you report these things to the police and/or the FBI. It is my opinion that any allegation of child abuse ought to be taken seriously, so if you find yourself not being taken seriously by anyone in law enforcement, talk to a different person. There are statutes of limitations that vary from state to state and from crime to crime. These statutes may also differ with regard to civil vs. criminal suits. It might be helpful for you to look at the code of law in your state.

I am not a lawyer, I am a former prisoner of Straight in Virginia. Please take or leave my advice on your own best judgment. It might be best if you found a good lawyer to help you understand the law and what your options are.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »