Author Topic: the Road -  (Read 1972 times)

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
the Road -
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
Has anyone seen or read "the Road"? Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
Re: the Road -
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »
I saw it.  

There were definitly some things that I liked about it.  There are few movies for me, that when I watch, afterwards, I feel almost as if I have really went somewhere.  It is just a quality that I find in certain movies, taht at the end I am returming from a long trip.  I hold it independent though from other things.  I do like when a movie does this, particularly if it is a good movie, but that doens t necessaril mean I like the movie over all.
Two other movies that have this quality for me, would be "Forrest Gump", and "Far & Away", just to give an idea of what I am talking about.

Another cool thing, is that, it makes something very far removed from reality seem real, like "48 days later" compared to most other movies with a similar idea behind it.  It really does seem real, and like it could be real.. No polishing.. Just raw humanity.

What I didn t really like about it- is something just kind of about the overall feeling it.  Dreary, paranoid, drudgery, jaded, - which basically describes the condition of the main character at the point in which the movie is made.
Almost gives me a sense of like Martin Eden, where you just keep wanting this dude, to make another little win, so he can survive hopefully, til the next.
A highly redeemable thing about the character, would be his hope, and heart, which stem primarily from his love from his son, and his desire to be a good person, and remqain a good person.

You almost feel like the negative portions of his character are a given under his circumstances, but something else in the movie, kinda completly destroys that idea, right from within the structure of the movie, which I thought was weird..

It's probably hard to understand what I mean by that...  but it's like if you went through a program, and played by all their rules, and then at the end they go, " or you could have done this!", and introduced you to someone who beat them.  It could happen, but you don t expect it, and it made me wonder, why they had not started the movie, around the point where they actually ended it.

Me, I like "feel good" movies.  Would I recomend seeing this movie? Yeah probably just because  there is an intensity to it, and because of the other things I said, but if you like feel- good movies as well, don t expect that.

There is one particular scene in this movie, that really left me with a feeling... Hit me .. Ya know when an image or idea from a movie just kinda stick with ya- and it's a disturbing one...
similar feeling I got from the murder scene or actually most of the movie in "Bully" but probably a bit less intense....
Some fucked up shit in this scene, on many levels.

As far as the reality to it- the world is fucked up in some sort of way, but they don t really tell ya what happened.. you almost think maybe it was some kind of bomb or something...
And the idea is that all living things in the world are dead except for some people, which as a premise is hard for my mid to feel comfortable with, but not ever applies science to what they watch as a natural habit.. so....

especially, because they fuck up, by writing a dog into script.. every animal is dead.. every plant.. except for some men, ... oh and man's best friend... It was a poetic natural disaster.. A very selective one, taht wanted to make sure that it made for an interesting story. LOL!

Oh and bodies decompose.. but food does not.. outside of all that, i d say check it out..

Basically, do you like head-trips?  Do you like hard head trips regardless of their tone or qulaity? If so you d like this?

Have you tried Salvia and are you glad you did?  If you tried Salvia and are glad, you will probably be glad you watched this movie...LOL

Hell of a response huh?  I was in the mood to write and had nothing to write about, when I cameacross your post
Paul

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »
Hi Paul -

I think I know what you mean about feeling you've been somewhere after the movie (or when finishing some books) and this one does have that quality. For me it is simply that days later I am still thinking about it.  

Pondering on what must have happened - I think the evidence provided points to an asteroid hit - or maybe Yellowstone blew.  I discount it being bombs b/c there was no indication of radiation being a problem.  My husband thinks it best fits an asteroid hit b/c of the glow in the distance and the charred remains of the world at large (which could also be a super volcano blast) and also the ships on the freeways which would require a massive tsunami which would be more likely from the asteroid.

I was puzzled that people were around but no animals - until that dog in the final scene. My husband said this would be because they had all been eaten. This makes some sense as the story begins some 8 or 9 years after the event, judging by the age of the boy. I think the dog was added to the final scene as assurance the boy was in the hands of the good guys - and not about to be their dinner. And too, just b/c the man said there are no animals doesn't mean this is the case the world over. It is simply the case where he is. Across that gray ocean things might not be quit as bad.

As to food not decomposing - not sure what you mean? What they found was canned and canned goods do last for many years.

The one thing I didn't get at all was the thing with the missing thumbs. Both the old man on the road and the guy on the beach (good guys) had their thumb missing. Why would that be? As far as I could tell no answer was provided.

The hopelessness of the situation was almost to much to bare, but the ending did provide the much needed hope. Also, that goodness and decency could survive in man and boy despite it all - Still, no way is this a feel good story.

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 01:41:54 PM »
Hey BK

If the author had an intended idea of what had happened, I suppose it
probably wasn asteroid hit .

As far as the food not decomposing, I thought I remembered he and his
son finding a lone corn chip.

I thought about the movie too, for a day or two after.  There was
something haunting about it.  I'm not going to lie.  After watching the
movie, I said to myself, " This time could have been better spent on
something else.", but the movie definitly stayed with me.  Also, I feel that way about the majority of movies.

As far as all the cannibalism, I think of "People under the stairs",
and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

What about this movie, just made it SO MUCH MORE realistic, and
grasping then in any other movie, I don t know, but it had a way of
like bringing it close to home.

One part of the movie taht stuck with me, was when he found those
people in that basement.  Again, this is not a new concept in movies,
books, tv shows, or even reality, but something about the way they
portrayed it, was so disturbing... and just effectual.
The other thing about this scene that disturbed me, was that the guy
locked them back up.  He could have let them go.  It would have been so
easy for him to have done, and maybe they would have survived, maybe
they wouldn t ve, but at least they they would have had a shot.

I think in his mind, he simply could not identify with them.  They were
what they were, and he and his son, were not that, and not going to be
that.  You are over there.  We are over here. Yeah.. that part stayed
with me.  Of course, it is only a movie, but it haunted me abit.

Also the scene where, the woman, is chased down, by those guys, and the
last thing she does is wrap herself around the child to protect him,
and beg for mercy.... and it gets you thinking , this little boy, and
this young woman, have made it all these years, just to get killed by
those sub-humans.

For me, when I watch a fantasy movie, which is most, I think, I have to accept life for the sake of the movie, on the terms of the creator.  In order to get the plot, and all that, I first have to grasp, and accept, the world, the creator, is displaying. Even if I don t agree that the world he is creating is real, right, or good.. If I can t first , grasp, and accept that, the rest of the movie, is simply worthless, regardless, of how good any particulars may be.

At the end, when the boy, is found, by the compassionate, and nurturing family, who seem to have fully retained all of their humanity in spite of the circumstances, the whole movie, kinda fell apart for me.

It is as though, the author said," This exists in my created world.  this is possible, and yet I chose to make a movie about something less.  I chose to speak of the dark side.
I know that this exists, but my heart believes in sharing this, instead. "

I felt kinda ripped off by that.  Anyhow, take care....

lol  One thing I ll say about this movie, it definitly makes an interesting conversation piece, and for better or worse, was very impactful.  

Paul

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »
One part of the movie taht stuck with me, was when he found those
people in that basement. Again, this is not a new concept in movies,
books, tv shows, or even reality, but something about the way they
portrayed it, was so disturbing... and just effectual.
The other thing about this scene that disturbed me, was that the guy
locked them back up. He could have let them go. It would have been so
easy for him to have done, and maybe they would have survived, maybe
they wouldn t ve, but at least they they would have had a shot.

The book did a better job explaining this. For the most part they did a great job of sticking with the book and communicating the circumstances and thoughts of the man and boy. This scene was the one glaring exception. In the book, they went into the house, just as they showed, and the man opened the locked celler door - just like that - but immediately realized what was down there - and knew they had to get out ASAP - and get away unnoticed or they'd be hunted down. He shut and locked it back so the bad guys wouldn't realize anyone had been inside. Then they got out of the house - unlike in the film. They were seen leaving tho and had to run and hide in the brush.  The boy was horrified at not being able to help the people but the man did his best to explain they couldn't and not end up in the celler themselves.

Offline Sue J

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 01:55:48 AM »
Vigo Mortensen's performance was superb!  I think its the best performance of Vigo. Right?  hmmm... About the movie, I was little disappointed on how it ended.  I was thinking of a more brilliant end with surprises and the likes.  Still, one of the best post apocalyptic movie made.
Learn more about Hepatitis B and Rabies