Author Topic: FDA warning on SSRIs  (Read 42271 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
"Is it True? Are We All Crazy?"
« Reply #360 on: July 19, 2006, 01:16:37 PM »
Recent articles have exposed the DSM as written by psychiatrists funded by pharmaceutical companies. The press is finally getting comfortable attacking the Psychiatric "Bible".

Caplan said one doctor is proposing a new diagnosis, relational disorder, which she summarizes as a dysfunctional relationship in which "neither person is mentally ill but the relationship is.
She said she wonders what would happen when an afflicted couple visits the doctor's office for help. "The psychiatrist takes out a pill. ... Where does the psychiatrist put it?" she asked.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation ... 3653.story

The Baltimore Sun
July 17, 2006 Monday
Behaving badly has disorder to call its own; Ever-growing list of mental illnesses met by skepticism
CHRIS EMERY, SUN REPORTER
Excerpts:
When researchers announced that 16 million Americans who fly into occasional fits of unwarranted rage may suffer from a mental illness called "intermittent explosive disorder," the diagnosis drew its share of hoots and howls.

"Your grandmother would say these are bad folks who can't control their temper, and she would be right," said Dr. E. Fuller Torrey, an outspoken schizophrenia expert alarmed by the ever-expanding list of behaviors and attitudes branded as illnesses.

Torrey and other critics point to the volume that doctors use to determine mental illness, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, as evidence that the world is out of control.

When it was first published in 1952, the DSM identified about 100 official mental disorders. Today, it certifies roughly 375.

Intermittent explosive disorder became the latest of those to reach the public consciousness in June, when a study of the syndrome, funded by the National Institutes of Health, was released.

Newspaper columnists and others around the country exploded in skepticism at its conclusions.

"Is it me, or does it seem like good old-fashioned bad behavior - rudeness, obsession, violence - is being increasingly explained away by doctors and pharmaceutical companies as some kind of mental illness du jour?" asked columnist Daniel Vasquez in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

In Georgia, a headline in The Augusta Chronicle read, "Jerks get disorder of their own."

While many critics echoed the derision historically reserved for mental illness, some mental health experts - including Torrey - are also skeptical.

"It's not a well-defined entity," Torrey said of IED. At the heart of his concern is a question mental health providers have long debated: When does a behavior or emotion cross the line from normal - however eccentric or undesirable - to become an illness?

What they decide affects many aspects of American life, ranging from criminal trials to decisions on who gets treatment and disability benefits for mental illness.

The most visible venue for that debate is the DSM, the primary reference for mental health professionals. When the American Psychiatric Association revises the manual every few years, doctors have to decide what disorders will be included.

Although the DSM's definitions of mental disorders are only guidelines, they influence courts, insurance companies and government agencies.

Although it was virtually unknown to the public before the June report, IED has been used as a legal defense in murder, assault and intimidation cases.

Critics argue that the professionals who rule on what goes into the manual too often have ties to the pharmaceutical industry.

"The people who make these decision range from those with very good intentions ... to people who care about power, money and territory, and work hand in hand with the drug companies," said Paula J. Caplan, a psychologist and author of a book critical of the DSM.

Some psychiatrists worry that the credibility of their profession will be undermined if the guidelines are expanded too far or become too specific. In particular, they worry that fracturing well-documented disorders into sub-disorders based on flimsy evidence could prevent patients from getting appropriate treatment.

Those concerns alarmed critics when several controversial disorders were added to the manual's fourth edition, typically referred to as the DSM-IV.

"Many of us thought they went overboard," Torrey said. He joked that the range of disorders in the DSM-IV is so wide "you can fit almost everybody you know into one."

Much of the controversy surrounded personality disorders and mental illness among children. Among the most recently defined mental ailments, several drew particular scorn: mathematics disorder, reading disorder and disorder of written expression.

Based on definitions in the DSM-IV, naughty children can be diagnosed with oppositional defiant disorder and cigarette smokers with nicotine dependence. "If You're Breathing, You're In The Book," a 1994 newspaper headline in the Greensboro, N.C., News & Record declared. Another newspaper asked, "Is it True? Are We All Crazy?"

More recently, doctors have begun suggesting disorders that should be included in the next revision of the manual, due in 2011.

Caplan said one doctor is proposing a new diagnosis, relational disorder, which she summarizes as a dysfunctional relationship in which "neither person is mentally ill but the relationship is."

She said she wonders what would happen when an afflicted couple visits the doctor's office for help. "The psychiatrist takes out a pill. ... Where does the psychiatrist put it?" she asked. Other doctors have suggested broadening the definition of bipolar disorder, an illness once known as manic depression, characterized by extreme mood swings from elation to deep despair.

Under the proposed changes in the DSM, "everyone who's had any kind of mood swings in their life becomes bipolar," Torrey said. "And because of that, the concept loses meaning."

While the APA's Narrow agrees the jury is out on expanding the definition of bipolar disorder - particularly when it would enrich the drug manufacturers whose medicines are used to treat it - he argues that refining the definition of old disorders and identifying new ones is important. "It means patients are more likely to get better treatment for their disorders," he said. "An accurate diagnosis leads to an accurate treatment."

The findings of the IED study released in June support that view, according to Ronald C. Kessler, the Harvard scientist who led the research team. The researchers found that IED often appears in adolescence but is later compounded by other problems such as alcoholism and depression. Identifying and treating the anger attacks early on might help prevent the problems that boil up, he said.

The study found that over a lifetime, people with IED averaged 43 rage attacks resulting in $1,359 in property damage. "The question is, can you make them into regular people, and there is evidence we can," Kessler said.

Disorders of note

Here are some disorders officially identified by the American Psychiatric Association and a few symptoms of each.

Narcissistic personality disorder: Grandiose sense of self-importance; arrogant or haughty behaviors; believes that he or she is "special"; sense of entitlement.

Disorder of written expression: Writing skills that are substantially below those expected, given the person's chronological age, measured intelligence and age-appropriate education.

Factious disorder: Intentional production or feigning of physical or psychological signs or symptoms but for no apparent reason.

Nightmare disorder: Extended and extremely frightening dreams, usually involving threats to survival, security or self-esteem.

Avoidant personality disorder: Reluctance to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing.

Antisocial personality disorder: Failure to conform to social norms; deceitfulness; irritability; lack of remorse.

Conduct disorder: Physically cruelty to people and animals; staying out at night despite parental prohibitions, beginning before age 13; lying to obtain goods or favors or to avoid obligations.

General anxiety disorder: Excessive anxiety and worry, occurring for at least 6 months, about a number of events or activities; muscle tension; difficulty concentrating or mind going blank.[Source: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #361 on: July 28, 2006, 06:06:04 PM »
I am in contact with a reporter who is looking for stories of young people who were inappropriately prescribed psychiatric drugs and suffered bad side-effects.

I you'd like to share your story, PM me.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #362 on: August 07, 2006, 02:55:52 PM »
http://www.ottawasun.com/Lifestyle/Heal ... 20121.html

Depressing situation
Quitting antidepressants a terrifying ordeal for some patients
By MATT CRENSON, AP

When Gina O'Brien decided she no longer needed drugs to quell her anxiety and panic attacks, she followed doctor's orders by slowly tapering her dose of the antidepressant Paxil.

The gradual withdrawal was supposed to prevent unpleasant symptoms that can result from stopping antidepressants cold turkey. But it didn't work.

"I felt so sick that I couldn't get off my couch," the Michigan resident said. "I couldn't stop crying."

Overwhelmed by nausea and uncontrollable crying, she felt she had no choice but to start taking the pills again. More than a year later she still takes Paxil, and expects to be on it for the rest of her life.

In the almost two decades since Prozac -- the first of the antidepressants known as SRIs, or serotonin reuptake inhibitors -- hit the market, many patients have reported extreme reactions to discontinuing the drugs. Two of the best-selling antidepressants -- Effexor and Paxil -- have prompted so many complaints that many doctors avoid prescribing them altogether.

"It's not that we never use it, but in the end I will tend not to prescribe Effexor or Paxil," said Dr. Richard C. Shelton, a psychiatrist at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine.

Patients report experiencing all sorts of symptoms, sometimes within hours of stopping their medication. They can suffer from flu-like nausea, muscle aches, uncontrollable crying, dizziness and diarrhea. Many patients suffer "brain zaps," bizarre and briefly overwhelming electrical sensations that propagate from the back of the head.

"It's almost like pins and needles, and jittery on the inside," said a New York children's entertainer who asked that his name be withheld to protect his professional reputation.

MISTAKEN FOR SEIZURES

Though not exactly painful, they are briefly disorienting and can be terrifying. There are case reports of people who have just quit antidepressants showing up in hospital emergency rooms, thinking they are suffering from seizures.

Toni Wilson certainly didn't know how unpleasant going off Zoloft could be when her doctor recently switched her to Wellbutrin. The two antidepressants actually work on entirely different neurochemical systems, so going straight from one to the other was equivalent to quitting Zoloft cold turkey.

"After about three days I felt real anxious and irritable," Wilson said. "I would shake, not eat much, it felt like little needles in my body and head."

After two weeks, Wilson said, she was rescued from the brink of suicide by a friend who took her to the hospital.

Cases like Wilson's would be virtually nonexistent if physicians took more care in weaning their patients off antidepressants, said Philip Ninan, vice-president for neuroscience at Wyeth, the maker of Effexor.

"The management of discontinuation symptoms is relatively easy if you know about it," Ninan said, and noted that Wyeth had made efforts to educate both physicians and patients.

Yet surprisingly few doctors know enough about SRI discontinuation to manage it effectively. A 1997 survey of English doctors found that 28% of psychiatrists and 70% of general practitioners had no idea that patients might have problems after discontinuing antidepressants.

Having to keep taking Paxil makes O'Brien angry because she feels at the mercy of GlaxoSmithKline, the company that makes it.

Though a GSK spokesperson said the symptoms associated with discontinuing Paxil are generally mild and manageable, in O'Brien's eyes the company is profiting by having hooked her on one of its drugs.

"If they ever did quit making Paxil I'd be in so much trouble," O'Brien said. "What really makes me mad is if I can't get off it, why am I paying them? They should be paying me."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #363 on: August 07, 2006, 04:52:05 PM »
I oppose the Programs.  I think they're a dangerous cult whose owners scam parents out of loads of money while abusing and doing permanent psychological harm to kids.

For people who are new to Fornits and don't know our history, I feel like I need to say this for the record.

I strongly disagree with Deborah's positions on modern medicine and modern pharmaceuticals, including her positions on psychiatry, etc.

She and I have gone nine rounds on this too often already, so I won't be responding further in this thread unless it gets bumped up again some months hence.

I post only because I don't want new people to see her opinion unopposed and think that all Program opponents here, including me, share it.

Other folks can and will think what they want.  Just count me out.

Julie

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #364 on: August 07, 2006, 05:11:35 PM »
http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/ ... 55ab1.html

Litigation against Paxil begins
05:58 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 2, 2006
By Chau Nguyen / 11 News
Click to watch video

You might remember all the national attention surrounding the drug Vioxx and the many lawsuits waged around the country.

There's now a new wave of litigation against another popular drug, the popular anti depressant Paxil.

Some women who took the drug while they were pregnant are claiming their babies were born with severe birth defects.

One woman in the Houston area says that's exactly what happened to her.

She spoke only to 11 News about her Paxil problems.

Her baby is on life support and this mother's life will never be the same.

"I mean it's been a roller coaster," said Lisa Collins Steele

When she talks about her 9-month-old son Chase, it's not easy.

"You see your child the way I see him. Most people shouldn't go through this in their lifetime," she said.

What Chase is going through is surviving with just half a heart. He was born this way.

Now, Collins believes it could have been prevented had her doctor warned her not to continue taking the anti-depressant drug Paxil.

Last December the Food and Drug Administration, as well as the makers of Paxil, Glaxo Smith Klein, issued an alert advising the risk of birth defects for pregnant women taking Paxil.

But Collins stopped taking the drug a few months before that warning came out.

"Had Lisa known about this, she wouldn't have taken Paxil," said attorney Robert Kwok.

Kwok now represents Collins in a liability and negligence lawsuit, suing her doctor and Glaxo Smith Klein.

"And we're gonna ask that the jury consider punishing GSK," he said.

Collins wants the parties to pay the hundreds of thousands in mounting medical bills, plus additional unspecified damages.

Chase doesn't understand why he turns blue why he gets seizures why he has to take a bucket of medicine a day," Kwok said.

Chase has already undergone one open heart surgery and has made at least a dozen trips to the hospital for emergency care.

For now, his prognosis is uncertain.

Late this afternoon 11 News received a call from Glaxo Smith Klein's corporate public relations representative.

She said the company doesn't comment on pending lawsuits, but is aware of Lisa Collins' case.

We should add that a similar lawsuit was filed by a woman in Bedford Texas.

Kwok says he knows of an estimated 50 cases around the country being reviewed.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Zyprexa Settlement
« Reply #365 on: August 15, 2006, 01:04:54 PM »
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... e=printart

Zyprexa users await settlement payments
8,362 to receive checks related to side effects
By Jeff Swiatek
[email protected]
August 10, 2006

More than 8,000 users of Eli Lilly and Co.'s top-selling drug should find out this month how much their pain and suffering is worth.

Notices of injury payouts to Zyprexa users, in Lilly's largest-ever liability settlement, will be mailed as early as this week to those who hoped to enjoy the pharmaceutical benefits of the antipsychotic drug but ended up with diabetic side effects.

The long-awaited award notices will be followed within weeks or months by checks from a $700 million fund Lilly has set up to settle claims from 8,362 people. Many are vulnerable patients with schizophrenia and manic depression, the two main conditions Zyprexa treats.

The payouts, ranging from a minimum fixed amount of $5,000 to well over $100,000 a person, amount to a windfall for patients, most of whom are poor enough to qualify for federal Medicaid assistance.

"The awards are significant," said Chris Seeger, a New York attorney who serves on a steering committee that represents plaintiffs. Payouts of more than $100,000 will be common, he said, with fewer than 1,000 people getting the $5,000 base award for those who suffered the least harm from the drug.

"People are anxious to get paid," said Seeger, who helped hammer out the agreement with Lilly in 2005. "They're very anxious to receive their compensation."

Deborah F. Wagers of Shelby County, who is part of the settlement, said she hopes to collect on a claim of $112,500. She said she was prescribed Zyprexa for depression from about 2001 to 2003, and she blames the drug for causing her to become diabetic. She said she injects herself with insulin five times a day now and has had difficulty finding a job. Unemployed, she previously worked as a gas station cashier.

"I think they should be paying it out," she said of Lilly's mass settlement. "I'm the one who has to suffer."
Wagers said she hopes to use her check to pay more than $10,000 in medical bills.

The settlement by the Indianapolis drug maker was part of an effort to head off a mass class- action lawsuit against it by trial lawyers around the country who signed on thousands of clients alleging they gained weight from Zyprexa or acquired blood-sugar problems. Many of the lawsuits were consolidated in one federal court in New York, where Judge Jack B. Weinstein has overseen the settlement.

At times, the elderly judge has chastised plaintiffs' attorneys for being slow in getting payments to their clients who are in the settlement. In June, Weinstein called the delay in processing claims "intolerable" and demanded the work be speeded up, saying, "I want to terminate this case. I have my 86th birthday Aug. 10."

The lawyers did pick up their pace, reaching the agreed-upon threshold of processing 90 percent of the filed claims by late July, said Seeger. Lilly could have rejected the settlement if the attorneys didn't get enough of their clients to take the money and drop their legal cases.

With more than 8,000 claims now processed, "the deal is a final deal. No backing out by either side," Seeger said last week.
The only imminent holdup to paying out the money: A few state governments, including Ohio, want a share of the settlement money to reimburse them for Medicaid payments the states made for patients, to cover diabetes-related expenses linked to their use of Zyprexa.

"A number of states are giving us a hard time over . . . lien amounts," Seeger said. "We'll be forced to hold back (payments) in states where we can't reach agreement."

Indiana hasn't objected to payments to its residents, so checks likely won't be held up to Indiana residents, he said.
Tom Beaury, an informational technology worker from Lake Luzerne, N.Y., said he is awaiting payment on a claim topping $200,000. He said he became disabled partly because of diabetes-related symptoms linked to using Zyprexa six years ago.
Beaury, 35, said he will use his check, in part, to pay off $30,000 in medical bills he has run up since his Zyprexa-related health problems began.

He is not bitter toward Lilly.

"I don't know how to comment on Zyprexa. Was it a mistake? Was it gross negligence? They had a mishap, and it affected me. But I think they've done a lot of people good."

Lilly spokesman Phil Belt said plaintiffs' attorneys are handling the payouts.
"We are pleased to hear that the process is moving forward," he said.

The settlement will produce a windfall for attorneys, too, although Judge Weinstein has capped legal fees at 35 percent for most claims paid. Still, that will amount to more than $200 million going to attorneys.

The settlement covered about 75 percent of the known Zyprexa claims against Lilly. But hundreds more have flooded into federal and state courts.

"The money attracts more cases," said Peter H. Woodin, a New York attorney appointed by the court as a special master to handle claims.

Lilly has set aside another $300 million to cover potential liability from the unsettled cases, which it has said it will fight in court.
The first trial from the unsettled claims could happen next year. Lilly employees are being deposed by trial lawyers, and the company has turned over more than 10 million pages of documents sought by plaintiffs' attorneys, Woodin said.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #366 on: August 15, 2006, 02:26:29 PM »
I wish good luck to those that signed on for this, and hope they get their money, especially if they had medial problems they had to pay for. I was on zyprexa for about six months, and an extremely high dose, 25mg per day. I have mixed feelings about the drug. I understand what people are saying, it does make you gain weight, and fast. I never ate like I did while on that drug, You literally, can never get full. Ever. It really is a weird feeling. I have never been as fat as I was while on that drug, I gained about 10 pounds a month while on it. I didn't have schizephrenia, but I think the psychiatrist thought I was crazy, and put me on it. I was hearing voices when coming off some hard drugs and maybe he thought it would help.
When in day treatment there was this girl, who just started hearing voices one day. It was really sad. Zyprexa does a very good job at what it is supposed to do, stop the voices and 'stop the crazy', but in order to do so it turns you into a semi-zombie. So, the constant dilemma in patients taking this drug was deciding what is better, hearing voices with a clear mind, or not hearing voices and crazy thoughts, but be cloudy and weird and fat. It is not an easy choice.
Eventually, I noticed the doctors starting to prescribe a new drug at the time, Geodun. It wasn't supposed to have the same effects as Zyprexa (weight gain), but it made me even more cloudy. I tried to walk to 7-11 to get a soda, and ran into the light pole and bruised my face, that's how bad the cloudiness was with that one.
It's a tough subject, because I've met a lot of people with schizephrenia, and it is so terrifying to them they would have already killed themselves if it weren't for these drugs. I am glad I never did develop schizephrenia, it's a tough choice deciding whether and what meds to take, and living with that decision.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #367 on: August 15, 2006, 03:01:37 PM »
Having been there, I'd like to ask you a question.
Why do you think the focus is not on helping people learn to ignore 'the voices', like the guy in Beautiful Mind (forgotten his name), rather than drugging people out of their minds.

This will surely be perceived as over-simplified to some, but it appears to me that schizophrenics live in fear. Fear does strange things to people. Our minds are powerful and cause us harm if fear dictates our thoughts.
It doesn't seem that difficult to ferret out the source of a person's fearful thoughts which are causing the voices and hallucinations. Then assist the person in learning how to tune them out, as portrayed in the movie.

What IF, the thoughts are nothing more than someone tripping over something in their past that scared the shit out of them. If you could identify and dismantle it, I can't help but think there would be drastic improvement. Like re-programming the software. Seems the goal should be to help the person gain a firm grasp of the assurance that they can be in full control of their thoughts. That these thoughts are not currently coming from an external entity, but completely from their own mind, based on one or more fearful, confusing, unresolved, past events.

Like a whipped, cowling dog who might never fully recover, the same may be true of more severe cases of schizo, but this kind of approach seems far more humane, effective, and safer in the long run.

Did you ever get counseling? If so, what kind and was any of this explored during sessions?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #368 on: August 15, 2006, 05:15:10 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
Having been there, I'd like to ask you a question.
Why do you think the focus is not on helping people learn to ignore 'the voices', like the guy in Beautiful Mind (forgotten his name), rather than drugging people out of their minds.

This will surely be perceived as over-simplified to some, but it appears to me that schizophrenics live in fear. Fear does strange things to people. Our minds are powerful and cause us harm if fear dictates our thoughts.
It doesn't seem that difficult to ferret out the source of a person's fearful thoughts which are causing the voices and hallucinations. Then assist the person in learning how to tune them out, as portrayed in the movie.

What IF, the thoughts are nothing more than someone tripping over something in their past that scared the shit out of them. If you could identify and dismantle it, I can't help but think there would be drastic improvement. Like re-programming the software. Seems the goal should be to help the person gain a firm grasp of the assurance that they can be in full control of their thoughts. That these thoughts are not currently coming from an external entity, but completely from their own mind, based on one or more fearful, confusing, unresolved, past events.

Like a whipped, cowling dog who might never fully recover, the same may be true of more severe cases of schizo, but this kind of approach seems far more humane, effective, and safer in the long run.

Did you ever get counseling? If so, what kind and was any of this explored during sessions?

Totally, I agree. When I went into the psychiatrist he was almost detached from humanity, viewing from his ivory tower a lowely soul in need of chemical repair. He asked very brief questions, that would certainly result in me being diagnosed and prescribed something. I do know Zyprexa vs Schizo in the current treatment arena for teens and adults is a horrifying choice. I remember this teen girl who looked like a supermodel gain a hundred pounds at least, which gave her a whole new set of issues to deal with. Definitely a doubel edged sword if you ask me. I like the idea of exploring new options for sure!
-same poster as before

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #369 on: January 05, 2007, 12:30:05 PM »
January 5, 2007
Lilly Settles With 18,000 Over Zyprexa
By ALEX BERENSON
Eli Lilly agreed yesterday to pay up to $500 million to settle 18,000 lawsuits from people who claimed they had developed diabetes or other diseases after taking Zyprexa, Lilly's drug for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Including earlier settlements over Zyprexa, Lilly has now agreed to pay at least $1.2 billion to 28,500 people who said they were injured by the drug. At least 1,200 suits are still pending, the company said. About 20 million people worldwide have taken Zyprexa since its introduction in 1996.
```
The documents also show that Lilly marketed the drug as appropriate for patients who did not meet accepted diagnoses of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, Zyprexa's only approved uses. By law, drug makers may promote their drugs only for diseases for which the Food and Drug Administration has found the medicines to be safe and effective, though doctors may prescribe drugs in any way they see fit.

In response to questions about the information in the documents, Lilly has denied any wrongdoing and said it provided all relevant information to doctors and the F.D.A. Lilly has also said it did not promote Zyprexa for conditions other than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.
```
In 2005, a $700 million agreement covered 8,000 patients, and the company has made 2,500 individual settlements whose total value has not been disclosed, Lilly said. The 2005 settlement valued claims at about $90,000 a plaintiff, while yesterday's agreement values claims at about $27,000 a plaintiff, at most.

The lower value for the new claims comes in part because of the F.D.A. label change, which has allowed Lilly to say that it adequately warned doctors of the risks of Zyprexa after 2003. The label change may also help to protect Lilly from future lawsuits, analysts and lawyers say.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/05/busin ... ref=slogin

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #370 on: January 05, 2007, 12:35:07 PM »
I was on zyprexa for six months, a very high dose of 25mg per day. Luckily no ill side effects or anything but I feel bad for these people. It does make you hungrier than youve ever been in your life. I would have gained more weight if I wasnt locked up and restricted diet. I saw in a psych hospital this girl who heard voices who was taking it started to blow up and so she got a whole new set of issues because of that. I can't believe they prescribe this to so many people. It was a very strong antipsychotic that is stronger than ANY illegal drug and I've taken pretty much all of them. It shuts your brain off.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #371 on: July 10, 2007, 12:40:29 PM »
Video here:
http://www.pharmalot.com/2007/07/paxil- ... watch-here

Paxil Settlement On. You Tube;
July 10th, 2007
By Ed Silverman

In an unusual move, the Public Citizen advocacy group has posted a video
on YouTube to alert parents to a $48 million settlement of a lawsuit
concerning Glaxo's Paxil antidepressant and side effects. The drugmaker
was required to announce the settlement terms last October, but wasn't
to publicize that the terms were improved and simplified in April, the
group notes.

Even without receipts, parents can recover up to $100, but any money
that isn't claimed prior to the August 31, 2007, deadline will revert
back to Glaxo. Although it's not clear, Public Citizen may be correct in
noting this is the first time such a class-action settlement uses
YouTube to publicize terms.

The video, which is just a minute and a half, resembles a public service
announcment read by a news anchor, who says: "Now, $48 million is
sitting in a fund waiting to pay back parents whose children were on
Paxil before their 18th birthday." You can visit www.paxilpayback.org

+++

See here: www.paxilpayback.org
You are entitled to this money if:
. you live in the U.S. and
. you purchased Paxil or Paxil CR for someone under the age of 18.
If you qualify, you MUST fill out a claim form and mail it to the Paxil
Pediatric Settlement Administrator in order to receive compensation. The
claims must be received by August 31, 2007.
~~~

And, just as there is an effort before congress to remove the "Black Box Warning" for use of SSRIs with youth.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #372 on: July 11, 2007, 05:45:35 AM »
Well, well, well, I'll post if I get a refund....
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]