Author Topic: Highlands Preparatory School  (Read 14512 times)

Offline Guest3

• View Profile
Re: Highlands Preparatory School
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 12:05:51 PM »
Looks like Kevin Miller's  "Multiple recipient of the Who's Who Among America's Teachers Award (1998, 2002, and 2004)" is a bunch of bullshit according to this forum:   http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/s ... php?t=6693
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »
So let us understand this .... or let's not.   Rumour has it -  RCS couldn't make payroll last month, when they had no PHD's other than Buccellato. So, where are the funds coming from to pay PHD's?  Why would PHD's take a chance on their career with Buccellato?  Well, anyone for that matter, knowing the man's track record.  I hope for their sake and their families they did some serious pre-contract compensation.  Lord knows, the new staff did not do their homework.

Was "Grimwood's letter" a fake after all?  By another purported "disgruntled employee?"

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 12:25:24 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
OK, I have to ask...Two of you commented about Chris Grimwood being "behind" Len or "in" Len.  Are you saying Chris has been sleeping with Len?  That wouldn't be a surprise based on Len's previous proclivities with male staff.

RCS certainly has bombed out.  That shithole is cratered before it ever gets off the ground in any real way.  Undoubtedly due to the dogged determination of a select few here.

Now, the focus must shift to the new facility.  If it turns out to be "academics only" I'd be really surprised because the fake therapy angle is what generates the cashflow - lots of billables.

In any case, let's dig in and make sure the public knows who's behind the new facility so they can make informed decisions about where to send their kids to "school".

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN????

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 12:36:17 PM »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »
Quote from: "Guest3"
Looks like Kevin Miller's  "Multiple recipient of the Who's Who Among America's Teachers Award (1998, 2002, and 2004)" is a bunch of bullshit according to this forum:   http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/s ... php?t=6693
:roflmao:  Sounds like this is a contender for "The Emperor's New Clothes Award."

Some select posts from Guest3's link:

#10 it's a scam · 03-25-2006, 07:44 PM
    I've been nominated twice, which is amazing because I've taught in a very small school, one of those where you know everything about every one of your students. I asked around, and not one of them had nominated me or even heard of such a thing. I think it is just a money maker. Why do you think they push so hard for you to buy the book.
#13 Here's the proof.. · 03-27-2006, 10:12 AM
    I know a woman who was just nominated. She just began working in a daycare center, that offers a "classroom-like" setting for pre-school aged children, less than 4 months ago. She did run a private day care in her home for a few years. She is not a teacher, she's a daycare provider.
    She lost custody of her own children for illegal behavior. She is only permitted supervised visits with them to this day. She must attend rehab weekly in order to avoid jail time.
    She has no college degree. She was homeless less than one year ago.
    Again, she was just nominated. I think this "Who's Who" company gets employee listings and sends out nominations and then sits back and collects the checks from people who believe this is a legit award.
    As an administrator myself, I would toss aside any resume that listed this "recognition."
#22 proof it's a scam · 05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
    I got one too-- using the nickname my wife gave me, which I only use for magazine subscriptions! Sorry to burst anyone's narcissistic bubble.
#23 · 05-09-2007, 10:02 PM
    if you fill out the form you are giving them someone else's name, who may buy the book! Don't you see how they make money? They even ask that you cross out misspellings, incase the magazine subscription they bought it from misspelled your name!
#25 1st year teacher · 05-29-2007, 07:25 PM
    and I got the letter...it's a scam! sorry ladies!!
#35 ha ha · 06-03-2008, 02:38 PM
    I am finding this so funny. I am sorry to laugh, but I can't believe people are sending in money on this. If you have to buy an award, it is not an award. I would laugh if this was on someone's resume. I would not even call this person for an interview.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »

They make sales from the books they sell :) Ha!  Amazing. So are theses people REAL PHD's this time around?  Has Buccellato finally 'got' it? What does that mean for Clay Erickson?  And the others ...  Are they all gone?

Noticed Sam Tanner's name is still there on RCS(retired last year or rumour?). Didn't  RCS hire a new math teacher?  IT has added two new people to RCS site, but did not update/delete other names.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Highlands Preparatory School To Open Fall 2011
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 12:44:15 PM »
Quote from: "Jill Ryan"
Been building for quite some time.

http://http://www.strugglingteens.com/artman/publish/HighlandsPrepBN_120910.shtml

Breaking News
Posted: Dec 9, 2010 11:37

Highlands Preparatory School
Dahlonega, GA

Highlands Preparatory School To Open Fall 2011

Kelly Vaughan
706-864-5907
http://www.highlandspreparatoryschool.com

Copyright ©2010, Woodbury Reports, Inc.

Offline FreeOfCC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
If he has "students" boarding there then HPS WILL be subject to oversight by the ORS because children under the age of 18 will reside there. God he is a sneaky bastard!!!

No, they will not have oversight by ORS if they are classified as a traditional boarding school and do not board kids year round or provide therapy.
They may be planning to drop the "therapeutic" label and go underground with their behavior modification techniques.
This will be revealed as time passes. Surely NO parent of a child attending a traditional boarding school will allow contact with their child to be severed. Calls/mail should not be monitored. They will be more able to report what's happening.

RCS would not be monitored either if they become part of the new school and claim not to provide therapy. Again, "therapy" and length of boarding time are the determining factors. For instance, summer wilderness/camping programs that don't provide therapy are not regulated. In the early days of RCWP, that was ORSs assumption based on what HLA had told them. When pressured to investigate, they found out otherwise.

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 01:39:25 PM »
Surely the Lumpkin County Police Department E-911 Dispatch is going to be ecstatic. LCSO reported approximates  68 - 911 calls to Ridge Creek School January 2009- January 2011 including "silly calls."  "Silly calls" still take up man power and tax dollars, so do numerous arrests.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:42:58 PM by Jill Ryan »

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »
Quote from: "FreeOfCC"
If he has "students" boarding there then HPS WILL be subject to oversight by the ORS because children under the age of 18 will reside there. God he is a sneaky bastard!!!

No, they will not have oversight by ORS if they are classified as a traditional boarding school and do not board kids year round or provide therapy.
They may be planning to drop the "therapeutic" label and go underground with their behavior modification techniques.
This will be revealed as time passes. Surely NO parent of a child attending a traditional boarding school will allow contact with their child to be severed. Calls/mail should not be monitored. They will be more able to report what's happening.

RCS would not be monitored either if they become part of the new school and claim not to provide therapy. Again, "therapy" and length of boarding time are the determining factors. For instance, summer wilderness/camping programs that don't provide therapy are not regulated. In the early days of RCWP, that was ORSs assumption based on what HLA had told them. When pressured to investigate, they found out otherwise.

What happens to the CCI children that attend RCS now, if Highlands Prep is not going to operate as a CCI?

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 01:53:56 PM »
Would he actually try to operate "under the radar" again, after all of this?

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »
ANOTHER THOUGHT - THE ORS, BJ BAKER and CO. will be happy as pigs in a sty if RCS turns Traditional Boarding School.  This lets the ORS off the hook for accountability in allowing this debacle to continue throughout the years.  Not that the ORS was ever accountable.

We all remember when the Investigators with the DHS worked tirelessly to put an end to this all ... but the upper echelon, in the words of the GAO, "dropped the ball."  Perhaps, it was too hot, so they threw it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:44:06 PM by Jill Ryan »

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »

Postby Ursus » Today, 1:32 am
Curious coincidence regarding soon to be Headmaster Kevin Miller:

Curry College, Milton, MA Faculty, Program for the Advancement of Learning (PAL)

Curry College... isn't that where John Reuben's (surviving) son went?

Quote from: "Jill Ryan"
Holy God.

I'll second that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:01:17 PM by heretik »

Offline Guest3

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »
I want to know what Georgia considers a "bona fide" boarding school???? I think they're going to try to sneak in the troubled youth aspect based on the school's application, which I've attached.

http://ors.dhr.georgia.gov/portal/site/ ... 01010aRCRD

Child Care Institutions

Definition:
    Any child-welfare facility which either primarily or incidentally provides full-time room, board and watchful oversight to six or more children through 18 years of age outside of their own homes.

Exemptions:
    • Child welfare agencies and other facilities and institutions wherein children and youths are detained which are operated by any department or agency of state, county or municipal government.

• Any bona fide boarding school whose primary purpose of admission is education, provided that such facility in order to claim exemption shall operate under a published academic educational curriculum which meets the requirements of the State Department of Education, shall have classroom facilities which are not used for residential living, shall not have been granted nor have assumed legal custody of children attending the facility, and shall not provide service planning and casework services as described in the licensing rules.

• Facilities owned and operated by the state or federal government.

• Temporary recreational facilities and programs which limit residency to no more than three months, such as summer camps.

Type Regulations:
    A child caring institution must obtain a license or temporary license.

Legal Authority:
    O.C.G.A. § 49-5-3, Title 49- Social Services; Chapter 5- Programs and Protection for Children and Youth; Article 3- Employeesa Records Checks for Day Care Centers

O.C.G.A. § 49-5-8, Title 49- Social Services; Chapter 5- Programs and Protection for Children and Youth; Article 8- Central Child Abuse Registry

O.C.G.A. § 49-5-12, Title 49- Social Services; Chapter 5- Programs and Protection for Children and Youth; Article 12- Policy Council for Children and Families  

O.C.G.A. § 49-5-14.1, Title 49- Social Services; Chapter 5- Programs and Protection for Children and Youth; Article 14.1- Foster Parents Bill of Rights  

The following link will take you to the Georgia General Assembly, Georgia Code website.  Scroll down the page to find O.C.G.A. § 49-5-12.

Official Code of Georgia Annotated

Rules:
    Rules and Regulations for Child Caring Institutions, Chapter 290-2-5, effective August 1, 1994, revised February 13, 2008.

Fees:
    • License: No charge

Other Resources:

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »
Excellent point.  I knew not to sing and dance.