Author Topic: Meanwhile, back at ground zero....where the rational people  (Read 1717 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Meanwhile, back at ground zero....where the rational people
« on: November 12, 2003, 10:35:00 AM »
October 1973. I was 14, interned in the Seed St Pete wearhouse and having my young mind twisted and prodded and trying to survive in a world gone mad.

the prestigious journal SCIENCE was also busy....preparing a report about the seed.  Here are some excerpts for your pleasure.

Science, 10-73

"as it stands today, Seed headquarters is not unlike a fortress. A high fence surround the dowdy buildings. Outside, young male seedlings stand guard, checking the identifications and purposes of all those who wish to be admitted.."

"Members of the Dade county health planning council's drug abuse task force who wanted to see the Seed denied a license express deep-seated philosophical objections to Barker's program"

"Opposition was also expressed by Dr Ben Shepphard, the "grandfather" of florida's drug rehabilitation programs, and formerly a consulting physician at the Seed. He now believes the program is dangerous because it relies on "brainwashing" and should be closed. In his view, half of the applications accepted by the Seed would not be admitted by legitimate treatment centers."

"according to a state drug abuse office survey 17 percent of the seedlings have never used drugs of any kind and were admitted for resolution of "attitudinal" problems-relationship dificulties, school adaptiation problems and a lifestyle objectionable to parents"

"Shepphard and other professionals fear that confrontation therapy and "peer pressure group interaction" as practiced by the Seed may have long term ill effects on clients."

"some fear that those whom Barker calls "successes" may, in fact, have more serious problems than they did as drug experimenters."

"Helen Kloth, a guidance counselor....classes become divided into seedlings opposing non seedlings. Seedlings seem to have an informing system on each other....it seems an accused seedling  has no chance to defend himself...he is presumed guilty."

"Dr Jeffrey Elenewski, a task force member and clinical psychologist who interviews and evaluates young drug abusers in the court system, claims that he hears every day of incidents in which children have been mistreated, threatened, and have suffered ill consequences pursuant to their involvement in the program.  Elenewski estimates that he has seen about 200 former Seed clients in the last 3 years, adolescents for whom the Seed has been psychologically destructive. "I see Barkers failures", says Elenewski, "the children who have attempted suicide after running from the Seed, those who are overwhelmed by feelings of worthlessness, hoplessness, and despair".

When a man you like switches from what he said a year ago, or four years ago, he is a broad-minded person who has courage enough to change his mind with changing conditions. When a man you don't like does it, he is a liar who has broken his promise.
-- FRANKLIN P.ADAMS (1861-1960).

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 12:48:00 PM »
Damn, Greg! Where'd you dig that up? Will you send me a copy of the whole article?

The most important thing in the programming language is the name. A language will not succeed without a good name. I have recently invented a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable language.  
-- D. E. Knuth, 1967

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 01:49:00 PM »
Of course I will.  

Believe it or not, I initially found this article while attending the university of Florida in 1982, doing some independent research on what the hell happened to my childhood.

It is still available in libraries across the land.

What is this new loyalty? It is, above all, conformity. It is the uncritical and unquestioning acceptance of America as it is. It rejects inquiry into the race question or socialized medicine or public housing, regards as heinous any challenge to what is called the system of private enterprise, identifying that system with Americanism. It abandons evolution, repudiates the once popular concept of progress, and regards America as a finished product, perfect and complete. The concept of loyalty as conformity is a false one. It is narrow and restrictive, denies freedom of thought and conscience... What do men know of loyalty who make a mockery of the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights?
http://www.harvardsquarelibrary.org/unitarians/commager.html' target='_new'>Henry Steele Commager, 1947

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 06:24:00 PM »
Oh, then I can probably snag it from my state system without leaving my chair. While I'm at it, I think I'll look and see if that slack bastard, Evan :wink: , has gotten around to finishing his story for RS.

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
-- Dave Barry

Straight South (Sarasota, FL)
Anonymity Anonymous

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 07:37:00 PM »
Damn it!
Science  
Abstract: First published issue after 01/13/1984 through present; Full Text: 01/03/1997 through present  
Most current 12 Months of full text not available  

No dice.

Instead of giving money to fund colleges to promote learning, why don't they pass a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as good as the Prohibition one did, why, in five years we would have the smartest race of people on earth.
--Will Rogers

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 10:31:00 AM »
Hmmm....lots of hits on this thread. Okay, you asked, here are more excerpts from the Science report circa 1973:

"The Seed, it attempts to rescue young drug users by changing their attitudes toward drugs and the environment they represent through a process of psychological reconditioning".

"the program's Director and founder is Art Barker......claims 16 years of interest in drug abuse prevention"  

"its detractors charge that it may actually have harmed a number of those it set out to save"

"the furor over the program has led florida governor Rubin Askew to appoint a special comittee to look into the controversy"

"there are those who believe that Barker has used his politically influencial supporters to neutralize the state and local regulatory apparatus"

"clients and their parents report he has told them not to talk to the press. Professionals from other drug abuse programs say he has rufused them entry into his centers.  Thus, he has maintained relative secrecy about many aspects of his operations."

"whether it rehabilitates real drug addicts or not-an issue which is central to the controversy-The Seed apparently does make problem teen-agers abandon the outward signs of rebellion"

"However, they seem to be living in a robot-like atmosphere, they won't speak to anyone outside of their own group."

Want more?  

:grin:

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2003-11-13 07:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2003-11-13 07:34 ]

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 02:33:00 PM »
Yes, please! I don't have this in the archive. No mention of Askew at all.

If triangles had a God, He'd have three sides.
--Old Yiddish proverb

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 11:58:00 AM »
Okay, since you asked nicely, here are a couple more snippets from the SCIENCE report circa 1973.

"There, seedlings, in revival style, are called upon to describe before the entire audience their paths to drug abuse and their progress, if any, towards overcoming the problem. Each emotional confession usually ends with the seemingly pro forma seed sign-off "I love you, mom and dad, I love you group"

"The seed used groups of 300 to 500, without professional leadership. Many question whether this kind of peer pressure can accelerate, emphasize, or mask a severe emotional disturbance, and whether the transfer of the source of decision-making from the individual to the peer group is desirable."

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.
--Thomas Brackett Reed