Author Topic: OPENING/CLOSING DATES?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline TRUCKER

• View Profile
OPENING/CLOSING DATES?
« on: November 11, 2003, 11:46:00 AM »
Does anyone know the offical opening and closing dates of the Seed? How many participates?
What age spread?

TRUCKER
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
OPENING/CLOSING DATES?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 12:17:00 PM »
Yes trucker, I have that info, just not with me. The seed took kids as young as 9 and maybe even a couple 8 year olds with "druggie attitudes". In its heydey, The vast majority of the kids in the program were between 14 and 18.

The seed opened officially in 1970 and closed last year.  Roughly 10,000 kids went thru the program, and most of them did so during the time we were there. After the Senate report came out, Art pulled in ranks, closed the expansion programs and put his energy into the Seed Ft Lauderdale. In or about 1978 Art Ran unsucessfully for congress in Lauderdale and also claimed to stop treating anyone under 18, but there is anecedotal evidence that exceptions were made.

In later years, the Seed just became a weird little Ft Lauderdale cult with Art Barker playing the Jim Jones role. There are reports that Astrology and numerology started playing a role in the "raps".  many people on staff when you were there are still hanging around him to this day including Libby and Chun. He is old and has parkinson's disease but reportedly still is lucid and has retained his sense of humor and to this day and perhaps his death bed is still repeateding the erroneous and ridiculous claim that the Seed enjoyed a 90% sucess rate. He also disavows all the copycat programs yet on the other hand brags that his methods were copied by other programs.

It is one of the most beautiful compensations of life, that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
OPENING/CLOSING DATES?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 07:52:00 PM »
I was one of the kids sent by court order from Albany, Ga in 1976-there were a bunch of us in 76 and 77. I was there for just under 2 years. There were many lousy things about the program (I have never since encountered anyone with Art's ego) but things worked out for me and I have to give the program credit. I still have a crush on some of the woemn staff members.

Offline marshall

• View Profile
OPENING/CLOSING DATES?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 09:38:00 PM »
Hi. If you were there in 76-77 I'm sure we know each other. I shared apartments with several albany seedlings. I haven't had any contact with other members in over 20 years. Feel free to email me anytime at [email protected]. :wave:
Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. You must climb towards the Truth. It cannot be \'stepped down\'

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
OPENING/CLOSING DATES?
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 12:51:00 PM »
welcome anon, and good to hear from you again Marshall. Right now I am out of the country but am checking the site once a day.

Anon, how about telling us your story?

The last struggles of a great superstition are very frequently the worst.
--Andrew Dickson White (1832-1918)