Author Topic: Need another guitar slide...  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Need another guitar slide...
« on: February 01, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »
ok seamus (and anyone else who's ever played some slide guitar), after listening to the likes of guitar virtuosos like Leadbelly, Elmore James, Blind Willie Johnson, etc., I know i have to go and get myself another slide for guitar playing. The kind I am going to look for is one of those old steel slides like i used to have (and lost like i 've lost all my other slides over the years). I had a ceramic slide that was ok, but that one just didn't have the twang that the old metal kind has... A broken bottle-neck has worked in a pinch, but I'd rather get a metal one like i used to have (at least no one will bleed that way.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline seamus

• View Profile
Re: Need another guitar slide...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
I play mstly with a jim dunlop I think 212 model, or I have the glass "coracidon" bottle types that double as a shot glass in a pinch :nods:  Try yourself the "vestapol" tuning, If you need to it can always be tuned Up or Down a 1/2 step or a step,to better fit a vocal range., having just gone and looked its actually a Jim dunlop 228,my bad. Go to a pawn shop,or real shitty guitar store, look for a cheezy resonator style guitar(one of mine was a no-name for $99) leave it in open tuning,simple.  If you really wanna go nuts ,Musicians friend sells a pick up configuration,built for resonators for like 129$, but itll need a DI bow to sound like anything thru a pa.   cheers
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 04:56:31 PM »
Thanks for the info..
Is vestapol DGDGBD? (If so I play in that one sometimes and can see how that tuning would be ideal for slide.) I stumbled on that tuning when i figured out how to play "Honky Tonk Women" and "Start Me Up" (the key there is the A string dropped to G.)

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:23:01 PM »
Yeah its called open d sometimes too there are variations on that too ,ill look thru my "book o' guitar shit" and post ya up some tunings. I was fuckin around with open a minor for a while too. The "book o guitar shit "is my own notes and stuff I didnt want to lose/forget. Most subjects Im into I make a similar book. I have another book that literally says"Brilliant Fuckin Ideas" on the front so when I have an odd flash of inspiration, I dont lose/forget that.
 Some times open e (ebeg#be) is cool for slide too (harp played, in a, 2nd position) and of course the x(no string)gdgbd
ala Keith Richards thing. I used to do some bizzaro tunings with 12 string too. There used to be a tape (vhs) made by a guy named Adrian Legg, I think it was from homespun. it was called "how to cheat at guitar" dealt with open tunings, modified capos, notthing so much slide oriented, but worthwhile for info purposes. Listen to Chris whitley records too, he did a ton of funky tuned stuff,wrote great lyrics too.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:40:08 PM »
My original forays into open tuning were for two reasons
          (1) lack of ability to play in standard tuning,as I started on a mandolin.
          (2) trying like hell how to figue out how to play something off led zepplin 3,so I coud get into this girl named Sara's pants.
                                        sad.......but true :nods:

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:07:50 PM »
Quote from: "seamus"
Yeah its called open d sometimes too there are variations on that too ,ill look thru my "book o' guitar shit" and post ya up some tunings. I was fuckin around with open a minor for a while too. The "book o guitar shit "is my own notes and stuff I didnt want to lose/forget. Most subjects Im into I make a similar book. I have another book that literally says"Brilliant Fuckin Ideas" on the front so when I have an odd flash of inspiration, I dont lose/forget that.
 Some times open e (ebeg#be) is cool for slide too (harp played, in a, 2nd position) and of course the x(no string)gdgbd
ala Keith Richards thing. I used to do some bizzaro tunings with 12 string too. There used to be a tape (vhs) made by a guy named Adrian Legg, I think it was from homespun. it was called "how to cheat at guitar" dealt with open tunings, modified capos, notthing so much slide oriented, but worthwhile for info purposes. Listen to Chris whitley records too, he did a ton of funky tuned stuff,wrote great lyrics too.

Yeah i sometimes have written down tunings that i'd come up with, there are a few somewhere in a similar book...and as i recall, one of them was minor..lol. In regard to the EBEG#BE tuning.. I arrived at that one trying to play "Prodigal Son" ..the open EMajor seemed to work. I'm into using a capo, too. Hadn't heard of Chris Whitley.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:13:43 PM »
Quote from: "seamus"
My original forays into open tuning were for two reasons
          (1) lack of ability to play in standard tuning,as I started on a mandolin.
          (2) trying like hell how to figue out how to play something off led zepplin 3,so I coud get into this girl named Sara's pants.
                                        sad.......but true :nods:

Did it work?  :D

I got into the tunings out of boredom, I guess. Maybe somebody somewhere along the line had mentioned them to me and I just started screwing around with them a little.. I think everybody who picks up a guitar is bound to try the open D tuning at some time or another...and early on when i was teaching myself how to play stuff by Black Sabbath, there were certain songs where the bottom string was obviously tuned down to C#, so there's that...

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »
Yeah ,Between that and some killer buds I had , we left marks in the sand up at dragonfly lake the life guards never could figure out. this was pre str8 too. Damn preachers daughter. :seg:
 Seriously froddy check out a chris whitley song called" poison girl" or "dust radio" I think its something youll "GET" and go "where in the f*ck has this been" He was amazing live, saw him 8 or10 times, got to talk to him a couple times, great guy. He died of cancer at 50 a couple of years ago. When I read it in the paper I  stayed home and drank all day. Fuckin sad.
 I got the Idea that resulted in the "Electric Cowboy Boot" trying to figure out his stuff and sound.