Author Topic: Any RTC programs near Pittsburgh?  (Read 4479 times)

Offline mlg81

• View Profile
Any RTC programs near Pittsburgh?
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:39:59 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Maria and I work in child welfare in the city of pittsburgh.  I am going to be pursuing my masters in social work soon, and I am very interested in the negative effects of Residential treatment.  I work in a non traditional form of Social Work, and personally completely against placement out of the home of any kind.  I would like to know if anyone has been affected negatively by any placements near the Pittsburgh area.  Anyone?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline seamus

• View Profile
Re: Any RTC programs near Pittsburgh?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:08:18 AM »
Ask around locally about Abraxas. Id bet some people have tales to tell.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Greenbrier Academy - Pence Springs, WV
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 12:25:02 PM »
I'm not sure how close to Pittsburgh you're looking for, mlg81, but there's also Greenbrier Academy located in Pence Springs, WV. I'd guess that would be roughly 150 miles SSW of Pittsburgh, PA. To fine tune it a lil more, it's ~20 miles SW of Lewisburg, WV, and ~50 miles SE of Charleston.

This program was founded by L. Jay Mitchell, who also co-founded SUWS and Alldredge Academy, was an exec at Solacium Holdings for a while (now known as InnerChange) and, more recently, co-founded the program Spokane Mountain.

Mitchell also has ties to John Reuben via the merger of so-called charitable organizations Alldredge Family Foundation and STICC a little over a year ago.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline blombrowski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 01:49:47 PM »
There are a number of RTC/RTF programs in the Pittsburgh area.  

Abraxas, Adelphoi Village, Allegheny County Home Places Program, Alternative Energy Youth Farm, Anchor House, Andromeda House, Auberle, Beacon Light, Bethesda Children's Home, Brighter Horizons, Buffalo Soldier Academy (Visionquest) - not to be confused with the program in Arizona that got closed down (and those are just the A's and B's).  

You can look for all of the programs in your area at this link:

http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/findfacilsan ... /index.htm

Offline mlg81

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »
Yes I am familiar with all of these, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with them.  Id like to hear individual stories, because I am in the process of writing a book. Thanks for the help!