Author Topic: Amazing Forum Board censors thread re: Hidden Lake Academy  (Read 17450 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Amazing Forum Board censors thread re: Hidden Lake Academy
« on: November 03, 2003, 10:34:00 PM »
Have you ever posted at Amazing Forums?
http://amazingforums.com/forum/BS4/forum.html
Might be a waste of time. The following thread was removed in the past week. I found it cached at Google.  Anyone know the poop on that board? Who runs it? Why they might censor important information?

Author  Topic:   Hidden Lake Academy  
Sally  posted 1/12/03 4:13 AM    
---------------------------------------------
Does anyone have info or stories about Hidden Lake Academy in Ga?????????  

jm  posted 1/15/03 3:16 AM    
-----------------------------------------------
try http://www.strugglingteens.com  

grad's mom  posted 1/15/03 5:11 PM    
----------------------------------------------
Overall, I have a very positive opinion of HLA's program. Most of the (minor) things I didn't like were changed/improved during my daughter's nearly two years there. She is still corresponding with friends there and plans to go to their grad in May.  

jill (a graduate's mom)  posted 3/20/03 5:43 PM        
our experience at hla was life-changing. my 15 year-old son was a substance abuser, was failing in school, was diagnosed with conduct disorder and was not responding to individual weekly counseling. we enrolled him at hla and he graduated from the program about 22 months later. the first few months were so difficult, painful and arduous. then, he began adjusting to the program. hla staff are masters level counselors. there is no medication, no restraining, no lock up. the kids, through intensive individual, group, wilderness therapy learn self-control. the staff lives by their stated philosophy- there is no b.s. about it. the program is strict but the kids know exactly what the rules are and they learn the consequences. they know what to expect. i never could have provided the supervision and consistency hla provided. the family workshops helped us to bond again in healthier ways than we had before. we learned so much.
my son is graduating from our local high school this june(2003) with honors! has carried a 3.75 gpa throughout his highschool education! he was inducted into the national honor society! he has been accepted to ohio state u. and u. of delaware for next fall! now, he has an array of choices to make. i look at my son now- im so proud of him and happy for him, tears well up in my eyes- but they are the most joyful tears these days:) overall- i would say, the road to these positive changes was not an easy one, for my son or us(his family), but it was so worth it. hla is a first rate therapeutic boarding school.  

Kelly  posted 3/23/03 2:40 PM    
Thank you for your response.I have a child there and have been wanting to hear from the parents of graduates.It puts my mind at ease to know it's not like some of the other abusive schools I read about. This was the hardest decision of our lives. It's still a daily struggle for us and our teen. I'm encouraged though to hear it gets easier. Thanks again for posting your stories.  

mark taha  posted 4/11/03 3:31 PM        
I believe that boarding schools are unnatural.Those that don't allow their pupils to communicate with the outside world shouldn't be allowed to exist.Parents who agree to have their children deprived of all contact for months aren't fit to have them.  

JM  posted 4/11/03 8:39 PM        
-------------------------------------------
I recently graduated from HLA (Dec. '02), and I highly reccomend the program. I found support and "tough love" (heavy on the love :smile: ), from many staff members, and although there were some negative things I would like to see the school change, HLA definitely has the right idea for helping adolescents. I rediscovered my own value as a person and completely turned my life around. Three months before I entered HLA, I wrote my will and had given up on my life. Now, almost three years later, and three months after graduating, I love my life. I graduated high school there, and I am now choosing between Vanderbilt on an almost full scholarship and UGA in the honors program on a Charter scholarship. My life and happiness amazes me and I enjoy it immensely. I love my family, and I cherish them. Sure, the road always been easy-going, but I am very grateful to my parents and the staff at HLA for helping me turn my life around. HLA is definitely a top-notch, caring school. Also, please feel free to email me with any questions. I'm quite honest - I'll tell you the good, the bad, and the ugly, but overall it's a great place. :smile:  

JM  posted 4/11/03 8:43 PM        
Sorry, clarification - I meant that it "has NOT always been easy-going." Sorry. :smile:  

Susan  posted 6/1/03 10:16 AM    
I'm thinking of sending my son there. We're visiting next week. He is at another school now and I'm relieved to hear positive comments about Hidden Lake. Thank you.  

Brian  posted 7/21/03 5:20 PM    
I attended HLA, I can tell you it is nothing but BS. It is a dangerous place where children are emotionally and mentally raped on a regular basis. I was able to escape the school if it can even be called that as the education they provide is lacking to say the least. I will say this though in its favor, if your child has a drug or gang related problem it probably would do him/her some good, anything other than that I would highly recommend you find another place. I had never done any kind of drug and was placed there, I hated every minute of my life there and when I got out I finished highschool and enrolled in college all my own. Just something to take into consideration.  

Kelly  posted 7/22/03 3:48 PM    
Brian, I hope you don't mind me asking, when were you there? How long were you there?  

Brian  posted 8/23/03 3:02 AM    
--------------------------------------------
I was there during 98-99, it was the werst expiernece of my life.  

steve  posted 9/5/03 6:48 PM        
Alumni of pg 34, I stand here to say only one thing. Hidden Lake Academy was the most frodulent school I have ever been exposed to in my life. The PTSD i drew from that school has scarred me for the rest of my life. The "boot camp" based enviornment in wich i was starved for almost 18 months was horrific. I would never wis upon any human given birth to by god would never have to go there.  

SW  posted 9/6/03 12:58 AM        
I am interested in the good, the bad, the ugly, and the great about this school. I live in Dahlonega, and have considered employment there. I have worked in residential settings for over 15 years and have seen good and bad. What are some of the specifics in regards to HLA? Please feel free to e-mail me directly - please use HLA as the subject line, so I don't get it confused with all the Spam I get!
Thanks.  

SW  posted 9/6/03 1:00 PM        
Seems the e-mail address doesn't show in the post - [email protected] I look foward to hearing from you...did you say you had a child at HLA??  

Emily  posted 9/15/03 8:10 PM        
------------------------------------------
Mike- I left in Jnuary of 2003 shortly after my 18th birthday.."beat your face" was what they scream at you when they wanted you to get down and do push ups. Any other questions you can email me at http://pub57.ezboard.com/bwevebeenthere
On 27 June 01. My son has been home for a little over a year now. I will post another message at a later time explaining my observations of the ?changes? they made in him. It will not be positive. HLA is not a ?school? by any stretch of the imagination. My son returned from this $5K/mo college-prep TBS, five (5) credits behind his peers.
My son's father enrolled him at Hidden Lake Therapeutic Boarding School in Ga, Nov 00. They registered with the state seven years ago as a private school but advertised to the public as a TBS. This appears to be fraud, deception at the very least, and common practice for such facilities to avoid protective regulations.
My son was not labeled ODD before his placement.
This label is growing in use largely, in my opinion, to "justify" the need for and to bring profits to the recently booming mulit-million dollar "Teen Help" industry; which includes: wilderness programs, boot camps, therapeutic boarding schools, transitional schools, ed consultants, and transport services.
I am appalled that many such facilities are operating in a gray area without proper licensure. For all intents and purposes they appear to be Residential Treatment Facilities with Academic components, which require licensure. While licensure is not a guarantee, it could provide minimal protection for the teens in their care. If they are on the up and up, then why avoid regs?
I attempted to enforce Xmas visitation in Dec 00, one month after XXX was enrolled. My ex told the court that if XXX came home he would be dismissed from the program and he would consequently loose the $110,000 he had pre-paid for tuition. HLA's Dir. of Counseling validated this under oath via phone, which influenced the judge's ruling that he would stay. I am now in possession of their tuition policy that all pre-paid tuition will be reimbursed whether a child is dismissed or withdrawn.
The Interstate Compact Law was ignored. This law exists to protect against the rushed and/or unnecessary placement of children in out-of-state facilities. My son did not receive a psych evaluation before enrollment. Had my ex or the Ed Con complied with this law, I am certain that the evaluation would've shown that this placement was too drastic.
The first 6 weeks he was allowed NO phone contact with his parents. Then came a period of three-way calls with the counselor interrupting frequently. For the next few months, only XXX was monitored for content. Any negative comment about the facility were labled "manipulation" and consequenced. The teen has no outlet to report abuse or neglect...a violation of most state laws. Currently, our calls are back to three-way and I was told that this could be indefinite. I suspect that it was a reaction to a call to Ga ORS which resulted in an investigation of the facility.
XXX told me that he didn't feel like he was getting enough time with his counselors. I asked his counselor to give him the opportunity to talk about this. Instead he was talked to for 2 hours about how much time they spend and how many kids they have to take care of. He was then "consequenced" for "lying" to me. As a counseling student, I lost all trust and confidence in their ability to be effective counselors and was sure to never repeat anything XXX had said to me. XXX's counselor cut me off when I confronted her about violating my confidence in this matter....stating that they expect the child to always be "in agreement". In agreement....doesn't that mean that the other person has "agreed" to something? And their stated goal is to build trust....
I saw XXX for 36 hours in Mar. He was thin, pale, and he'd had diarrhea for 3 days. He was extremely anxious about making mistakes,very self-critical, couldn't make eye contact with people in public, avoided making decisions when given the opportunity. This was not my son. And what really broke my heart was when he asked me not to show him love or affection...it was "too confusing". We both cried.
XXX had been on "restriction" for a month prior to the visit. Due to the rules and procedures, a child could be on restriction the majority of the time spent there, and parents are warned to expect this. While on restriction he is isolated from his peers except when in school. He is given work detail to fill his free time and can't enter the dorm until 9pm. He is fed a semi-starvation diet that consists of: 2 boxes of dry cereal for breakfast, and for lunch and dinner- a white bread and cheese sandwich, a cup of soup, and a piece of fruit. That's 1220 calories and the USDA recommends 3-4000. More with physical exertion. The headmaster told parents in Mar that while "sparse" the Health Dept had approved this diet. Not so. I contacted the HD and they refuted this, stating that it is not within their scope to approved such diets. My nutritionist warned that a teen should not receive this diet for more than 24 hours. Period. Then referred to the movie Oliver regarding starvation used for submission.
We had been looking forward to his first trip home for 4 days in July. His father was trying to prevent this, but finally relented when he realized he needed a court order. One week later HLA called to notify me that XXX had been referred to their wilderness program; which made him ineligible for his summer visit. In order to refer him to the WP they skipped a step in their written procedures. A child is referred to pre-wilderness, then wilderness if necessary. They have since changed the written policy for referral.
The student that gave XXX's friend the cigarette followed behind them, and banged on the door to attract night security. They are encouraged to "fall out" on each other to receive less punishment. Where did this kid get a cigarette to begin with? What was his punishment? I didn't receive an answer to those questions and they were put off that I would have the nerve to ask. The teens are never unsupervised, even when walking around campus; radio communication is happening to ensure that a student arrived at their destination. It's 15 miles to the nearest little town. I have since learned that tobacco and drugs can be had in these facilities, and some violations are "overlooked". So much for 24/7 security. Although it is not mentioned in the parent manual, it is reported that strip searches are becoming common, particularly after home visits.
The rep that testified in Dec told me that according to the Director of the program, wilderness programs were not required to be licensed. I was transferred to the voice mail of someone else who never returned my call. I placed 2 more calls to the directors of both campuses. No responses. She then sent a scathing letter to my ex's attorney who forwarded it to mine, grossly exaggerating the situation. She accused me of harassing the staff of both facilities at home and work, and of speaking adversarialy to the staff of both facilities. I spoke to her respectfully, but asked questions she did not want to answer. I have yet to speak to anyone at the "boot camp". I can't call HLA, all communications must go through their corp. attorney. This has resulted in many missed phone calls. The Headmaster accused me of searching out his home email address, when in fact I had responded to an email sent from his home. HLA's attorney has threatened a lawsuit if I don't cease and desist "making negative comments" about the facility.
The staff told me not to tell my son that he was going to boot camp and had lost his summer break. He knew, as they all do, when he was ordered to take a physical...the dreaded sign. To avoid out-right lying to him, I told him the truth, that I was asked not to discuss it with him. This is not helpful or effective therapy. It damages the parent/child relationship which should be based on trust and honesty. They justify this by claiming that they are attempting to avoid any acting out before the teen leaves.
ORS has determined that their Wilderness Program must be licensed as a Therapeutic Camp. Their brochure emphasizes that they are not a "boot camp"...then why ex-military with no credentials (Educ or Exp working with youth).
ORS is "negotiating" with HLA regarding their status. Last communication was that they appeared to be a Residential Care Facility. It also seems that HLA will successfully avoid sanctions by claiming that they began as a private boarding school and later became a therapeutic facility. I found web advertisements back to the year they opened promoting themselves as a TBS.
These are the people who are "treating" my son; in fact, abusing him in the name of therapy. The one's who are "consequencing" him for any minor infraction or what they ignorantly perceive as manipulation, or lying, or avoiding communication. It's black and white, and no common sense employed. No matter what the teens diagnosis or problem, all stay a minimum of 18 months. Individual needs are not taken into consideration and apparently a diagnosis is not required for acceptance.
I spent 1000 dollars to travel to the required parent workshop in order to see my son for 36 hours. I expected a workshop. What I got was a 5 hour sales pitch for the facility. The headmaster first bonded with parents by allowing them to vent their fears and grief. Then relieved them of all guilt....reminded and ensured them that they had made the right decision....encouraged them to do what they had to do to keep their child there, even resorting to using the college funds (which they might not use otherwise)....that parents can't watch their "troubled youth" 24/7, but the school and their security could... The rest of the time was taken with a tour of the nicely manicured and well kept campus.
The "Teen Help" industry is based on profit before people. It's a job, and they will defend their livelihood at all cost. They are self-regulating, power hungry, business people whose employees receive no "consequence" for treating people with absolute disrespect.
Any program is only as good as the personnel. I encourage every parent to do thorough research. Ask difficult questions. Check with state agencies for complaints and appropriate licensure. Your child deserves this. Answers will provide some information, but it will not give you insight into the psyche of the person(s) who will be spending time with your child. That takes time. A degree in Psychology is not a guarantee. I was reminded recently that the highest suicide rate among professionals, is psychiatrists. And as so many people here have said, Children don't live in a bubble. Even if the program happens to be a good one, and there are gains made; the dysfunction in the family unit remains. I believe this why many of these facilities encourage parents to place their teen in another residential environment after the program. No chance of the family issues coming up again, which provides a nice illusion that the program was successful.
I am thoroughly disgusted by the whole industry and feel great empathy for parents who feel so desperate to place their children in these "psuedo psych facilities". We need to stop pretending that the problem doesn't involve parents as well. People possess respect for self and others when they have received respect.
I don't believe that isolating a teen from their family, subjecting them to questionable Behavior Mod techniques (heavy on punishment and shame), limiting calories and social contact with peers and the outside world are respectful or effective methods for dealing with so-called "struggling teens". These traits are more common to harmful cults. What exactly are these teens learning?
I would like to hear other parent's and student's experiences with HLA, and particularly from those who would like to see reform or closure of such facilities.

andrew M  posted 9/26/03 5:42 PM        
Abuse by any other name is still abuse. It doesnt matter if these people call it therapy, in god's eyes it's abuse. I was a wwasp student, which was far worse than this sounds, but I still think your a sickly person to do this to your kids. It's their heads. You're fucking with their minds. Look up BRAINWASHING in a psychology book.  

CW  posted 9/27/03 9:00 PM    
My son has been there now for about 5 months and the early changes are striking and positive. If we had not sent him there or a similar place he would be dead or in jail. I suspect that many of the students horror stories are the products of drug riddled minds that are potentially beyond rehabilitation. I suspect that the elaborate parent's story is the product of a beyond nasty divorce that everyone needs to move forward from. So far so good on our end, good luck and God's help to anyone facing the thankless need to make decisions related to sending an out of control teen to any similar establishment.
We will only know the worth fo the program in 3-5 years when he has had a chance to really be out and choose his way through early adulthood but at least we are on a track consistant with at least living long enough to make those future choices.  

Deborah  posted 10/1/03 5:47 PM        
-----------------------------------------
CW I have to wonder if you?re really a parent with a child at this facility or someone with a vested interest in defending it. If you are a parent, is it not enough to share your ?good? experience without attempting to discredit me or my son? I resent your comments:
?I suspect that many of the students horror stories are the products of drug riddled minds that are potentially beyond rehabilitation. I suspect that the elaborate parent's story is the product of a beyond nasty divorce that everyone needs to move forward from.?

For your information, my son did not have a problem with drugs. And while my relationship with my ex was less than perfect, that is not the issue here. Had it been perfect, it would not have altered the facts about this facility or the events that occurred- it would not have changed the fact that the facility wasn?t licensed, that they lied to the state and to parents, that they lied to the court to keep my son there, that they interfered with my parental rights and violated my son?s rights, etc.
You may continue to have a good experience, provided you never challenge or question a policy or decision they make regarding YOUR son. You may be comfortable with this form of ?treatment? and with abdicating responsibility, that is your prerogative. The fact remains, you do not know what is happening there on a daily basis. My ?elaborate story? apparently contradicts what you need and want to believe, I can assure you it is factual. Disregard it if you choose, but refrain from insinuating that I am lying or fabricating the story based on a ?beyond nasty divorce?. Would you care to explain why as a parent happy with the program you chose, you feel the need to come onto a public forum and say such things about another parent?s experience? Why are you so defensive? Have you confirmed that they are now licensed? Or is that important to you?
Having your son incarcerated 24/7 is not insurance that he will not hurt himself or be hurt physically or mentally, or that he will not have access to drugs, tobacco, dip.
It only ensures that he is no longer your problem.
And, to the ex-WWASP participant, I didn?t do this to my son. I did make every attempt to get him out. The program assisted my ex in ensuring that he would stay.

SHANCHEZ... R.P. -- 33  posted 10/4/03 4:57 AM        
I attended HLA, i was in peer group 33. This place is insane and NOTHING but hell. I was a post graduate... it was an absolute terrible place... TBC  

CW  posted 10/7/03 9:17 PM    
My message remains and I stand by every word. We will be seeing him in the next couple of weeks for the 2nd time and I will file an update.
DO NOT accuse me of abdicating responsibility.....! We made an ugly decision to do that which was necessary to preserve our son's life and give him a fighting chance to grow up without a drug problem or criminal record. It is not an ideal place, but it sure beats jail or the morgue!!  

Deborah  posted 10/8/03 1:09 PM        
---------------------------------------
I don't know another term that describes a situation in which a parent turns their child over to strangers and has no say in what happens on a daily basis or knowledge of what's actually happening.
Oh, DO NOT accuse you of doing what you have done, but you feel justified in accusing me of fabricating my story?
That's rather a double standard. You probably won't have any problem with the program- they operate much the same way- but the shoe may not feel so great when it's on the other foot.  

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2005-08-27 14:26 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 09:33:00 AM »
what is your story?

Why did you find this board?

Are you for or against these places. Did you pull your daughter from the program?

If you are willing to tell me I would like to know. thanks in advance.

I believe that human beings arrive on this Earth wanting to know absolutely everything, and the best thing we can do as parents is to get out of the way -- just be there to let them know what opportunities are there
-- Dorothy Werner, media liaison for the National Homeschool Association

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »
http://amazingforums.com/forum/BS4/143.html
Marie posted 11/10/03 6:49 AM    
I really don't recommened Hidden Lake Academy! I was there for a year and it really messed me up. The type of therapy these boarding schools use is terribly exploitive of children. If you do send your child away, do it as a last resort, and DO NOT HIRE ESCORTS TO TAKE YOUR CHILD FOR YOU!!! It happened to me, and it was like being kidnapped. You're awakened by strangers, threatened, and led away in handcuffs before you even realize what it happening. Its even worse when you realize no one is out there trying to bring you home. I suffer from post traumatic stress syndrome as a result. It is a serious decision and should not be done in haste. I suggest touring some of these schools with you child to let her know how far she's pushing you. If she runs away then fine- juvinile detention is less expensive and just as effective. I do not know a SINGLE person who has benifited from these programs enough to warrant the suffering the went through. She will always be your daughter and sending her away WILL strain your relationship and damage her trust in you forever. Please consider ALL your options before you commit to this. I wish someone had given my parents this advice five years ago. I never finished the program and i'm fine. I reverted back to my old problems as soon as i got out but that was who i was and i matured out of it quickly. I'm in a really good college and pursuing a PhD... and I would have ended up where I am either way.. but i could have gotten here without the psychological trauma of HLA's "therapy". I've been in real therapy ever since just to get over it. I might never stop having nightmares and panic attacks, but if I can help other kids avoid my fate it'll make that year worth it.

http://amazingforums.com/forum/BS4/169.html
M posted 11/10/03 7:09 AM    
HLA is no good for kids who aren't serious drug users or violent offenders. The only reason it works for those is because it keeps them seperated from the drugs and conditions their behavior like Pavolov did his dogs'. It really is a shady institution. The faculty may start wit the best intentions but you know what they say about absolute power... these people truly abuse their authority and foster more disorders than they treat. Panic attacks are commonplace with the graduates i've kept in touch with. I have nightmares to this day.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 01:13:00 PM »
Its a lot like a Clockwork Orange. A person who obeys the rules only out of fear of physical pain is not capable of moral choice. Of course far too many parents don't really want their kids to choose anything for themselves ever so the programs have no shortage of victims on a waiting list.
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 01:31:00 PM »
Check out this post from Titsch's forum at
http://www.bulletinboards.com/view.cfm? ... sch#537958

Mr. Titsch: I'm glad you asked the questions of me that you asked and I'm only sorry that I did not address them in my original post. Yes, Brett has formed many relationships since returning home, it was difficult for him at first because all his OLD friends were into the stuff he no longer wanted part of. For him, it was like moving to a new town and knowing no one. He's met a beautiful girl who he's totally enamoured with. This is her first year at college (on a full scholarship) and although she originally was going to be a doctor, she's decided on denistry. They are very respectful of each other and they treat each other very well. She's totally against drugs etc and no matter how much she cares for him, she'll dump him on the spot should she find out he's using again. If I were to hand pick a young lady for my son, she would be it. We had an evening where my son decided to have a few drinks with some friends, and he knew he wasn't doing what was best for him. He came home, confessed, asked for help to not go down that road again and we've had no problems since. He wasn't berated for his actions, he came to the conclusions of how this was not helping him in his goals on his own with helpful discussion with his folks. We haven't had another incident (he learned how to identify what he wants and whats best for his life through the program). My son has talked of joining the Marines for many, many years. It was his drug use and the people he chose to call friends that dimmed that dream. Once he could see straight again, he pursued his dream. The night before he left for boot camp, he gave me a card thanking me for saving his life and stating that he wanted to spread what he's learned and couldn't wait to give back to the country that has given him so much. My son has been out of the program since August 2002. He still attributes his being alive today to the program. I must tell you that before putting my son into the program, I had exhausted ALL possibilities. My son was totally uncontrollable. I slept in front of his bedroom door to make sure he didn't sneak out, but he's 6'4" and very strong (especially under the influence of drugs). He's physically move me and do what he wanted. I had to call the police many many times and they were of no help. The response I would get was to let him do as he pleased so that there would be no arguing and I could get the sleep I needed to go to work. My daughter graduated 5th in her class, with everything my son put us through, she was having a hard time keeping her grades up etc. He was taking ALL of my time, hunting him down, trying to keep the "friends" away, etc. I was cheating my daughter of my time because I was exhausted. Grounding didn't work, taking things away didn't work, threats didn't work (and I did follow through), NOTHING worked. I wanted to save my sons life. I feel I did that. My son has many gifts....he came home to me with the gifts he left with. He's utilizing them all while in the Marines. He's chosen well, and I believe his "straight" head is what helped him to do this. A few years ago his life was headed to laying around and maybe showing up for work at McDonalds when he could get out of bed. The biggest difference is that he's proud of himself, loves himself and that is his biggest gift to me. Thanks for listening. Dawn

[Date/Time=11-04-2003 - 8:14 PM]    Name:Dawn

A broken boy is what she paid for and she's happy with the result.

I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.  I'm certainly not!  But I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!  
-- Monty Python

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2003, 04:45:00 PM »
Hey Stewart,
Glad your home.
Were you ever on restriction? For how long? What was it like? I mean what was your day like? Did you eat the same food as the others? Did you have work detail? What kind of work? Could you read, other than school books?
What was your experience with the counseling sessions? Were they helpful?
Were you ever restrained or did you witness any restraints?
Did you ever get to go off campus?
Were your phone calls and mail censored?
What was Wilderness like?

Well, Ill start out with yes I was on restrictions, for many reason. I knew about a lot of people in "relationships" I had also met a girl and we were hanging out a lot and they said that wasn't OK. A kid in my peer group ran away and they said I knew all about it. They also took my Friend out of bed at like 1 am and made him sleep in some weird room and yelled at him all night because he had heard rumors about kids planning to run away. I did eat the same food, But I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone the entire time I was on restrictions and for the 4 months I was at hidden lake I spent about 2 and a half on restrictions. I did have work detail, from clearing trails to cutting wood, to cleaning the mess hall. I do recall on several accounts half the kids on restrictions were not following the rules while the others we doing everything they were told to do. The group whom were screwing around were taken away and ended up sitting on the lodge while the kids who were working hard were forced to do PT In-cadence on the tennis courts at night in about 40 degree weather with about 4 inches of water in the courts and still raining until the staff was ready to do something else(remind you we were the kids not causing problems during the day and the ones who were sat nice and warm in the lodge studying)

Yes we could read, they had a lot of books and did let you brings books, but the school had to approve of them, lucky at the time I only had one book!

My personal experience with the counseling was both negative and positive... There were many times when they simply screamed at us if they didn't like what we were saying, And if I told them the god honest truth if someone who has been there longer said different then it was to bad for me and what that person said must be true!! Silly Isn't it? But I was put in the spot light a few times concerning my well being because of my history (my did Killed himself just over a year ago) and my peers we're so very supportive, I did really feel like they cared.

I have never been restrained myself. My friend whom was the girl I was "together" with was restrained when I was being detained by the school cuz they wanted me to give them information. She was coming to talk to me and they took her down on the cement road pretty hard... I was very upset when that happened.

I did go off campus 3 times. Once for my peer group forming day, Once on a co-ed off campus to a roller skating places...fun!! lol no, and Once with a group of guys to some movie no one wanted to see. that was okay most of the time. All my phone calls we're either conference calls where a counselor sits in and hangs up if they hear anything they don't like, and the others a staff sat next to you and listend to everything you said.  With the mail, you'd write (same with e-mail) it and they'd read it and if it was OK they'd send it, if not they give it back and say write something else. NO NO NO NO private communication. NO Individual therapy NO Family therapy. And No ability to form a healthy Male Female relationship.

It was funny because Dr B. The owner is so very strict on his drug possibly yet he disposes a large around of mostly empty alcohol bottles into the dumpsters that the kids take the trash... I can do more into detail about the some other time.

Wilderness at ridge Creek was a challenge. Now it is very interesting what happened. Mostly they made us work clean study different hiking and safety and army things Pt training. I did have some fun...but I was also in the group with the "cool staff" who didn't really care, the other groups we're all power tripping army guys who yelled at everyone. Now I was doing extremely well there, I was the "leader" and all that stuff, but the lady whom was the counselor for my team put me on suicide watch because I was doing really good and told me that I should me messing up extra...Thats when I just said Im done and stopped doing anything, I left a week early and was sent to a lock-down for 7 months.

If you like to know anything else, please ask Im more than willing to share. Im feel Ive been silenced and have no one to tell about what happened... To be hounest it is hard for me because of the lost friendship because I was kicked out. We as student really had to stick together to keep our heads up, I Know it sounds like some dumb joke, But it is a lonely and hard place. And sometimes you need a Friend but you can't always talk to that person their... Please feel free to reply or ask any other questions... That place has some problems... Im not sure, I really wish I could do something about it

http://pub57.ezboard.com/fwevebeenthere ... 21&stop=37

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 11:50:00 PM »
Then all the posts regarding HLA disappeared when the Parents forum was removed from the We've Been There board.
Here are the first pages of those threads, salvaged thanks to Google. Second pages, where much good information was shared were not accessible.

UPSBlah  Registered User  Posts: 1 (7/29/01 2:34 am) Reply  Re: Hidden Lake Academy
-------------------------------------------------
I have graduated from Hidden Lake. I want to help.

Edited by: UPSBlah at: 7/30/01 1:21:38 am

FaceKhan  Registered User Posts: 4 (8/7/01 2:57 am) Reply  Re: Hidden Lake Academy
Hi, remember me from the A&E list. My friend came home from his wildnerness program a month early, supposedly because the last month is a summer school like program and he already had his diploma. He seems ok, I don't think he was hurt, but I sincerely doubt that it was as helpful as he is trying to convince people that it was.

I am not sure what I could do to help you, but I am a good researcher, and I would like to help, anything to get someone out of these Behavior Modification concentration camps. Muck raking, the task of turning manure into useful soil, ie digging up the dirt on these bastards and putting it out for the whole world to see. Good luck with your custody case, and getting your son out. The conference was very successful in many regards, and I think it has helped to build momentum to form a large organization that will be able to take these places down for good.
Slavish discipline makes a slavish temper... If severity carry'd to the highest pitch does prevail, and works a cure upon the present unruly distemper, it often brings in the room of it a worse and more dangerous disease, by breaking the mind; and then, in the place of a disorderly young fellow, you have a low spirited moap'd creature, who, however with his unnatural sobriety he may please silly people, who commend tame unactive children, because they make no noise, nor give them any trouble; yet at last, will probably prove as uncomfortable a thing to his friends, as he will be all his life an useless thing to himself and others... Beating them, and all other sorts of slavish and corporal punishments, are not the discipline fit to be used in the education of those we would have wise, good, and ingenuous men... John Locke, 1692

stegman000 Registered User Posts: 1 (9/13/01 4:27 am) Reply   HLA is horrid
i attended HLA for about 19 out of the 22 months i was supposed to be there... with about 4 of those 19 months spent at various wilderness programs etc etc etc...they finally kicked me out...blah THANK GOD...about "how did he get the cigarette" oh there are many ways... many of the staff members smoke and some will give students cigarettes sometimes... dependant upon how "cool" they are with the student... other times thy leave their smokes in a backpack or unlocked car or something of the like and a student snaffles them as they pass... "dip" or that snuff or whatever you wanna call it is also available as well... in a higher abundancy as well.. Hidden lake did one and only one thing for me... show me that my life was messed up... and i donno if thats all they wanna do... but whatever... i mean since i have been home i havent "fallen into pattern" as they like to say and i live a nice life. although the money drain left my parents kinda strapped for cash. Im working to save my own tuition. ANYTHING and i do mean ANYTHING (short of handing over large sums of money) i can do to help jsut let me know and i am SO there for it...

i am so happy that a parent saw through the "face the school was wearing" (you gotta love those theraputic terms) and actually believed what was going on inside. keep me informed... any former students shoot me an email at [email protected]

BTW... cigarettes and "dip" arent the only things that go on there in terms of the "Drug Agreement" as they call it.. people had smoked pot and taken LSD (acid) on NUMEROUS occasions while i was there... and not always getting caught...

Bari Unregistered User (9/14/01 12:03 am)
Reply   There is no good In HLA
Hidden Lake Academey was one of the most drawn out and horrid expericens of my self. Manipulation of students and thier parents are the main tactic of thier instatution. I attened that "school" for 22 months and was holding a tear back the whole time. I am not a angst filled youth that has nothing more insightful to say besides fuck the system but i will say that fuck thier system. Example... The double standard I understand that students where students there and they should have diffrent responsilbites and held at diffrent standards but the level of leanoncy granted to staff thier for them to get thier job done was some times offense. The blatent lies, and mental manipultaion was obsurd. When in a place like that completly disconnected from any outside world all you want is something rightous or something pure most of all true. So when your parents send you a letter voicing their anger with the school and you dont get it and hear about on your phonecall (moniterd phonecall) you brakedown. Every thing hurt worse. Their. All I learned was to hate. My healing began when I left. Please don't send your children there.

stegman000 Registered User Posts: 3 (9/17/01 7:33 am) Reply   Bari
------------------------------------------------
Bari, what group thing were you in ??  

been there too  Unregistered User (9/5/03 3:56 pm)
Reply  For God's sake don't do this to your child
Dear parents and friends,
I am an expert with Kids and Teens I am going to explain what this industry is all about. I have studied it and worked in it. I have seen good and bad over 25 years. I have graduate level credentials. What I have seen is disturbing, but not without occasional joy.

BCA is a CEDU environment that has been adapted to serve kids who would otherwise be in the hospital. It is not 30K per month like hospitals, however, it is run by people with no experience or education.

Take the BCA Director, LaTeresa for example. She claimed to have worked at Health and Welfare. She did only as an aide and a driver. Because she was generally not allowed to "work" with clients due to a lack of even an associate degree, she was used for transport of children and secretarial duties as "aids" are employed. She won't tell you what she actually did.

Lori @ NWA has a high school diploma and worked for newspapers

Joanne @ RMA is a Business Major - and if the numbers at RMA have recently dropped into the 30s from as high as 190 several years ago as I have heard, then she is a business failure. Why? Because, like all the rest of them, she is afraid to stand up to management (if you want to call it that) or even her staff.

The only description I can come up with for Pam at Milestones is her own words - a hysterical "I could not care less..."

BCA, NWA, and RMA and Milestones in general use Directors with no clinical experience because neither management nor staff would tolerate clinical ethics. In a cult, you can't criticize or question the system, can you? The methods staff use in their workshops, prophets and Raps are not clinically acceptable because they are abusive in the hands of the untrained - the methods are old pop psychology - Life Spring, Gestalt and Catharsis. (See talkingcure.combologna archives - "what works with teens" for research results on such pop methods.

Yes, BCA has token therapists that can talk up a storm - especially Nicole (right out of college) she's quite a salesmen who will do most anything if it makes her look good.

Listen, ethical clinicians will not use weeks and even months of social isolation and shunning administered by high school level Bonners Ferry Idaho hicks like the staff and "Team Leaders." Let me assure you, the remaining clinicians at BCA and RMA are grounded in profit and self-glorification, not ethical standards, not real professionalism (which involves personal sacrifice for what is right) rather than the CEDU applause for conformity and, if not, then "BUY IN" or get out. Jenny, Mark and Jack were the good ones. But, if you were there, you already know that.

Don't be fooled, BCA is not clinical, (though they use tons of psychotropic drugs to keep kids compliant) nor is it safe, nor is it ethical, nor is it not a school, nor it is it a treatment center. IT IS A CENTER FOR THOUGHT REFORM - just like Amity and the WWASP group as exemplified by Tranquility Bay.

Let me get confrontational - This is important to me. If you are the kind of parents who would knowingly allow cult indoctrinated hicks to isolate, shun, humiliate, mentally torture and brainwash your kids at any facility, then you deserve the histrionic kid you will get back.

And, remember, the kid doesn't deserve to be the scapegoat so you can go on pretending that the real problem is not you and your family system. Look, don't burn your money. Go into family therapy, be a mentor. Spend less time working and more time with your kids. Get rid of your bad behavior so you can teach your child to do the same. These facilities tear kids and families down, so they can take credit for building them back up with testimony, music, dancing and release from the chains of emotional bondage right after the workshop or before the parents get there. That, my friends, is a con and a sham. Welcome to emotional growth. It is best to face that nothing is easy - especially mental health and self-development. It takes good parents who are there for a lifetime - not hick surrogates for 60K a year. Wake em up with Ascent, but don't waste your money on year or two year prison programs for kids who have done nothing - that is "fake" and sick.
BEEN THERE

Sally Unregistered User (9/18/03 8:34 am)
Reply  Hidden Lake Academy
Been there too, Do you have information on Hidden Lake Academy?

been there tooo Unregistered User (9/19/03 5:40 pm) Reply  Hidden Lake
Info is all over the web
I have heard nothing good. Actually, I would look in the State of Washington - They have protection and ethical standards for minors - The only state I know of. That is why you will find few if any schools there. You will find that most all these schools are in backward states - Idaho, yes even California - because they (the schools) can't be ethical. They, most all, use brainwashing in my experience - see links at

home.comcast.net/~megario....home.html

Ed consultants are a bad idea - don't go there

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 11:56:00 PM »
FaceKhan  Registered User  Posts: 1 (7/1/01 10:14 pm)Reply Anyone been to Alldredge
A close friend of mine was kidnapped and sent to Alldredge Academy in West Virginia, a descendent of the SUWS program. I have found many disturbing things about this place, and it was almost shut down last week, but it settled with the state and agreed to hire licensed staff. Alldredge is a 3 month wildnerness program. There was a suicide there in february, where a boy (14-I am trying to find the name, I may have the parents name somewhere) tried to cut his arms open, and then the next day was given a rope and tools he used to hang himself with. I am looking for anyone who would be willing to speak to me or send me their written account so that I might have a better chance at convincing his parents to bring him home, as well as convincing the health dept in WV to keep the pressure on this place.

There is a conference on abusive programs this month in Bethesda Maryland outside of Washington DC. trebach.org/conference.html

"One can understand why Kessler said something 'Satanic' takes place in school. The situation is Orwellian in its reversal of the truth: Memorizing is Understanding; Confining the mind is Liberating the mind; Boredom is Fascination. Flowery words are used by educators without restraint. Words like 'insight', 'enlightenment', and 'flourishing of the mind' are used to describe a reality which contradicts them completely"-Bruce Goldberg "Why Schools Fail"

FaceKhan Registered User Posts: 7 (8/12/01 12:44 pm) Reply  Re: Anyone been to Alldredge
------------------------------------------------
My friend is home and appears to be mostly the same. Still not sure what really goes on there.

Yesterday I was contacted by someone who spent 3.5 months there and was considered a model student.

He has some quite a few negative things to say. Although this place is nowhere near as bad as CEDU or Teen Help or Straight, it is perpetrating a dangerous fraud where money comes first and safety and the future prospects for the students come last.

Also I found a lte which I had missed from the Gazzette where the Alldredge stories had been published. I can't access the letter in support of the school, because it is in an archive that charges and I can't figure out the url as I did to get this one.

Academy still open despite order-July 19th
Editor:
We are writing in response to a letter written by a parent in support of Alldredge Academy, which appeared on the editorial page on June 25.

It is apparent that this person writes in support of Alldredge without knowing the facts surrounding the circumstances of our son's death there.

It was only five months ago that our beautiful 14-year-old son died at this "therapeutic" wilderness school in Tucker County due to gross neglect under horrendous conditions.

"Therapeutic" is in quotes because the people responsible for our son at this school had no professional credentials to do therapy.

In fact, the owner, founder and "therapist" of Alldredge Academy is a lawyer.

Additionally, this school is not licensed by the state of West Virginia to provide mental health care.

Not only did the officials of Alldredge Academy sell us a bill of goods which was enhanced by an educational consultant, but they lied about the circumstances regarding our son's death.

Despite a closure order issued by the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources and an ongoing criminal investigation, Alldredge Academy remains open, putting more children at risk.

Something must be done to tighten laws in this industry.
Paul and Diana Lewis
East Long Meadow, Mass.

Who wants to bet that the educational consultant, they are speaking of is none other than Lon Woodbury, of strugglingteens.com, he has quite a few positive remarks about Alldredge and advertises for them. The same guy who highly recomended Gage's 'equestrian program', stating "the sense of safety at Royal Haven is almost tangible" Perhaps he should tell that to the victims of 121 counts of sexual abuse for which Gage is now in prison, undoubtedly getting a taste of his own patent medicine.
Slavish discipline makes a slavish temper... If severity carry'd to the highest pitch does prevail, and works a cure upon the present unruly distemper, it often brings in the room of it a worse and more dangerous disease, by breaking the mind; and then, in the place of a disorderly young fellow, you have a low spirited moap'd creature, who, however with his unnatural sobriety he may please silly people, who commend tame unactive children, because they make no noise, nor give them any trouble; yet at last, will probably prove as uncomfortable a thing to his friends, as he will be all his life an useless thing to himself and others... Beating them, and all other sorts of slavish and corporal punishments, are not the discipline fit to be used in the education of those we would have wise, good, and ingenuous men... John Locke, 1692

pthompson54 Unregistered User (11/6/01 9:49 am)
Reply  I worked at Alldredge Academy
I worked at Alldredge from the first day that it opened to August 2000. When Alldredge first opened its doors, it did have a good "mission" but some where along the way it changed. The attitudes of the owners changed, I'm not sure what they changed to, but they did change.
As a former employee, I have my share of stories, at the beginning the stories where good, but as the year progressed they turned bad.
I am a life long citizen of Tucker County. The other citizens of the county are concerned as well. We are trying to have the Academy shut down for the well being of the students that are still being sent to the academy.
Other former employees of the school are concerned as well. We would how-ever like to get into contact with any students that attended the academy, during the time that we worked there. We would like to see how they are doing and make sure that Alldredge did not make any permanent scares in their lives. So if any of you access this web page, please get into contact with me via e-mail Patricia Thompson former Registrar of the Alldredge Academy @ [email protected]
Please reply, we can't do this without all of your support!
Thanks!

FaceKhan Registered User Posts: 12 (11/9/01 1:25 pm) Reply Re: I worked at Alldredge Academy
Programs like Alldredge are far too interested in continuosly proving their ideology than in helping the people there. These programs tend to be more about selling the parents piece of mind, while warehousing and often abusing the kids. It is no surpise to hear that the program would be better if it were not for the leadership, the leaders have been involved in unlicensed, inneffective, and dangerous programs for years. The admissions director worked for CEDU among others, which if you read some of the other topics on the board you will see it was closer to a mind-raping cult than a school.

Triplefire7 Registered User Posts: 1 (12/14/01 3:47 pm)Reply  Re: Anyone been to Alldredge
 (This message was left blank)

Edited by: Triplefire7 at: 12/18/01 1:49:20 pm

Antigenic  Registered User Posts: 3(12/16/01 3:03 pm)Reply Re: Anyone been to Alldredge
Boy, for someone who was just sending a child away and not actually experiencing what you sent her away to, you sure seem to know a lot about what Alldredge teaches!

You sent your 14 year old daughter off to the wilderness in the middle of a blizard with a bunch of older guys who you'd never met and who you know had a troubled past? And you trust that these aleged professionals would take good care of her because they'd just killed one kid, so you thought they'd be on their best behavior now? All I can say is that you must be insane.

"Meredith dared to take that step"???? Meredith had no choice.

"I was on my way to a hospital for troubled teens to begin my internship for my graduate work in Art Therapy," Oh, how special! I wonder why you wouldn't do that sort of thing for your own kid?

"Our heart aches for the family who lost a child." My heart aches for all of the lost children, all of their families and, more so, for all of the children who've lost their families to these TOUGHLOVE hate groups.

"I cannot imagine, that the same people who gave me back a child, mended and replenished, could have predicted such a tragic event and not reacted immediately." It doesn't take much imagination. This sort of thing has happened before, and it'll happen again, and everyone involved will blame it all on some primal flaw in the child and pretend it's the first time ever, just like they're doing now.

You think Meredit is sincerely greatful? Or do you suppose she's just a little frightened that you'll either lock her out in the snow or have her kidnapped by the same thugs again if she dares deviate from the script?

I wouldn't be so sure of your conviction that you'll never regret your decision. I know lots of Program parents who've had to eat those very same, biter words.
-If there's a worse idea going than locking kids up for victimless crimes, it's probably locking them in close proximity to some tyrannical altruist bent on helping them even if it kills them. Anonymity Anonymous

tswopeinnernetnet  Unregistered User (12/16/01 5:41 pm)Reply  Alldredge
My son attended Alldredge July and August of 2001. He was on a fast track to nowhere. Unless you count jail. It was the best thing that happened to him. And no, he didn't like it at first. However, I'm sure jail would not have improved his behaviour, either. One of his issues was chronic depression, in addition to 2 mild learning disabilities. He had simply given up. Alldredge gave him back his self-esteem. If you look at these wilderness camps, etc., you will find that all of those teens have depression. Along with depression, goes suicidal impulses. When you take your kid to a camp like that, you have to be totally upfront and honest with the folks running it. Information is vital !!! You could be making the wrong decision in the type of environment your child needs, and that decision is ultimately yours based on whatever information you are dealing with. What do you think the statistics are with teens committing suicide while under the care of a Psychologist? You'd be surprised. I found the counselors to be totally in tune with the kids. I observed the interactions between the counselors and the kids, and there was genuine respect and caring on both sides. Alldredge is also very upfront in telling the parents they are "intervention". Almost all of these kids require more time in a therapeutic boarding school. After all, the behaviours exhibited by this kids didn't happen overnight, and will take more than 6 - 8 weeks to produce the necessary results. However, Alldredge is a good "wake up" call for them. My son did not want to leave Alldredge. He wanted to continue the extended stay program, however, I went on the advice of an educational consultant - Georgia Irvin & Assoc. (whose client list includes placing folks like Chelsea Clinton) and he is at Hidden Lake Academy. I signed up for the parent committe for Alldredge because I am impressed by what it does for kids. I don't need somebody with a mouthful of PHd's and titles to turn a kid around, however you DO have licensed professionals at Alldredge. I want someone who understands kids and can turn them around. A bunch of Phds, or whatever means jackshit to me. I just want results. So let's get with the program and investigate the rumours flying around. Sometimes you'll find find someone who was in the program who got "let go" or sometimes you'll find a kid that no one on earth can help. Whatever the reasons, Alldredge is a fine establishment committed to turning kids around. PA mom

FaceKhan Registered User Posts: 13
(12/17/01 11:25 pm) Reply Re: Alldredge
Fact: The Alldredge Facility, Staff and even the nurse there were unlicensed as of June 2001. The only reason they are going through the process of licensing now is because it was a stipulation in their deal with the state to remain open.

Their fraudulent registration as simply a private school was designed primarily to keep them off the state's radar screen.

I have spoken to 2 former highly regarded alldredge 'students' (each was well liked by staff and had specific accolades and school records attributed to them) and have heard from some former staff as well and among other things they have confirmed that there is ongoing fraud, deception, and manipulation of students in the form of placing dangerously disturbed students with students with few or no problems, billing themselves as a school and producing false educational transcripts to cover the lack of any real academic program, particularly in regards to their claim that students can make up years of high school credits in just 1-3 months at the school portion of the program. That there were and continue to be untrained staff. That the staff were aware of and apparently permitted sexual activities among the small number of seriously disturbed students in some groups. That the so-called therapy is little more than new-age hogwash designed to manipulate the students into thinking they recieved therapy. And lastly that the former students and staff feel that what is happening there both then and now is wrong.
It is interesting that you mention July and August of 2001, I wonder if your son knew my best friend while he was there. He was kidnapped and sent there in June 2001 and stayed until the end of July. This is what prompted by research into Alldredge in the first place.

I would just like to mention that Hidden Lake Academy is a concentration camp and your son is undoubtedly suffering there. I am sorry but smart, caring people can be duped too. You obviously have forgotten that the result you are supposed to be looking for is the future well-being of your son and conditioning him into a cult is not the way to do it.
FaceKhan

Registered User Posts: 14 (12/17/01 11:30 pm)
Reply Re: Alldredge
pub57.ezboard.com/fwevebe...ID=2.topic

Paste that link into your browser if you have to it is the topic related to Hidden Lake Academy on this board. You might find it interesting.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 01:23:00 PM »
http://betheltruth.org/forum/read.php?f=2&i=14&t=14

Our youth can not understand why society chooses to criminalize a behavior with so little visible ill effect or adverse social impact... These young people have jumped the fence and found no cliff.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/studies/nc/ncmenu.htm' target='_new'>Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2004, 07:56:00 PM »
I worked at HLA as an Assistant Counselor/Restrictions Coordinator from Jan2003-Oct2003.

The kids were the only thing keeping me there. I was fired because I wanted to make changes to help the students and that was not appreciated.

The therapeutic and recreation programs are great, and the teachers are great but are being wasted, as the school is not very focused on education.(Therapy comes at the expense of education unfortunately.)

HLA's program may not be for you(or your child), but there are GREAT counselors who dedicate more than time to helping the students. In my opinion, it's the Recreation Dept. that hold things together. And yes, physical training is an important part of Restrictions--you/your child will be required to do push-ups and lots of them! They will be required to complete work assignments and get dirty every now and then--but I remember restrictions as being a good experience for some of the students I supervised.

I sincerely hope that all former students I had the opportunity to work with are doing well and leading good lives!

former AC/Restrictions staff

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2004, 10:45:00 PM »
***(Therapy comes at the expense of education unfortunately.)***

Seems a bit contradictory, since they tout themselves to be a "college prep" TBS.

***but there are GREAT counselors who dedicate more than time to helping the students.***

Like, not finding time to make it to a baseball game for the entire season? Like, blatantly lying to parents and teens? Like breaking confidentiality between parent and child? It might be best if you speak for yourself and not others, unless your real purpose is to advertise for or defend the facility.

***And yes, physical training is an important part of Restrictions--you/your child will be required to do push-ups and lots of them!***

Why just part of Restrictions? Sounds like exercise for punishment. PT makes it sound so... okay. Did that violate any state regulations? How many push-ups?

***They will be required to complete work assignments and get dirty every now and then***

Like, picking up trash on the campus, or aimlessly stacking rocks for no purpose other than punishment and humiliation?
Or having your meal taken away if you weren't done in the alloted time, or doing push-ups if you kept your plate longer than allowed? Or eating the same sub-standard diet day after day, sometimes for months?

***--but I remember restrictions as being a good experience for some of the students I supervised.***

Of course you would. All counselors need to feel like their efforts are worthwhile and beneficial to their charges. I would fall out of my chair if you said anything contrary.

What changes did you propose that they didn't appreciate?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 01:09:00 AM »
Deborah - you have posted in the past about HLA.  Did you once have a child there?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 09:10:00 PM »
Please tell me more about this school

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 06:17:00 PM »
:wstupid:  :evil:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 05:14:00 PM »
If anyone is thinking about possibly sending your child to HLA, please listen to what I am about to say...Okay. I'm not sure really where to begin. I'll start with why I went there... I was court ordered there for assualt and battery on my parents during a cocaine overdose, unruly child; dropping out of school & living on the streets, and a few drug paraphenalia charges due to proof of parents. I was 16 at the time of my conviction, to then turn 17 just a few days on entering HLA... That was in 1997. I am currently 23 and do have control over my life, which is an aspect very different from my dark days. I consider my self to be well educated and have been very succesful with relationships, including my parents... There are some hangups though. I have suffered from Social Anxiety disorder upon leaving HLA. No matter who I've talked to, I just can't seem to get past it. I also suffer from pretty disturbing nightmares & bouts of spontaneous depression. Luckily, I have people in my life that love me for who I truly am... Ever since I have turned my life around, I've done my best to help those when it seems applicable & even when it doesn't. I have this quote I like to say, " I am so full of Love because I know so much of Hate."... About HLA... Although there is the one point I can't ignore, if I hadn't been admitted to HLA I probably would be dead, there is still the fact that after walking in there to rid myself of problems, I exited with a whole new set of problems... So, when it comes down to it, I don't really know what to say. HLA is Evil. There's no doubt about that. They're exploiting young minds for the sake of profit and for even stranger deeper personal control issues. Brainwashing is also definately involved. There were things they had done to me that I hadn't realized till much later, when I realized that a decision I had made wasn't what I wanted to do, but what HLA had programmed me to do, and not in a good way. For parents who have kids there & it seems to be working, trust me, it will, but only for a short while. After one starts adjusting to their natural environments in society again, it will all be realized and,sadly, there will undoubtedly be problems again. Why? Because they are not really themselves. They all were broken down in the same ways, and they were all built again with the same techniques used on everybody. Nobody is the same. That's why programs range anywhere from 3 wks. to a few years. I was there for 10 of the 18 mo. I still feel to this day that I was ready to be released at around 4 mo. ANything thereafter was very very unhealthy for me. Nobody is the same. EVeryone thinks and percieves differently. If you don't believe me, go to http://www.personalitypathways.com and take the Myers-Briggs online type indicator test. Hopefully these tests will be given more regularly in schools while children grow up, so as to avoid things like this and so everyone may respect each others differences more wisely... I told myself I wouldn't talk specifically about any certain incident at HLA, but I do want to give you one example that'll hopefully terrify you. When HLA found out that I was trying to get my court order dropped & that I'd secretly written the judge, they tried in many ways to get me, or should I say make me, stay. One specific incident included me, 3 of what I like to call psycho-manipulators, one of these being MIKE WITHERSPOON, and two other kids who'd been placed as dorm heads and had been at HLA longer. Almost every kid there would sell you out very fast for special privledges, and these two guys just happenned to be that way. Long story short, they all took everything I said & did & turned it around to make me think I was suicidal. They knew that if I tried to kill myself w/ them interveneing or had a written statement, that I wouldn't be able to leave. I had been there for around 5 mo. at this time. Well sure enough, I tried to slice my wrists open with a pair of scissors. Let me just say this, I knew something was up when they were talking to me like they were in that little room, but I have always considered myself a trusting individual & so I was not aware to what these people who're supposed to be helping me were trying to do... Now, that is pure evil. There is not one person who wouldn't have done what I did. That is there job, they are psycho-manipulators who have a backup & excuse for everything. When I told them what I knew they had done & busted out into tears, there was no feeling behind those eyes...none... The only reason I changed at HLA when it comes to the problems I had previous to this place, was because I realized that I was a good person inside & only I could change my life. It truly had very little to do with the program, well, except for the motivation to get out of there... SInce HLA, I have been successful in everything I do, but everywhere I go, I constantly fight horrible feelings. I always fight & I always win, but they are always there & I wonder if I'll ever be able to push through them... If you care at all about your child, do not send them there. In fact, I am so adament to having these facilities that you only see in movies shut down, that I'm willing to offer giving my best advice to whatever the situation may be in which you are consulting this site for. My E-mail is [email protected]... Trust me, before sending your child to a place as such, please consult me to discuss further options. I have a friend who is now a child psychologist and a former HLA student. He is putting out a book about his life and the crime, hate, and illusion of love that went into HLA. Please, if you Love your child, don't send them to a place like this. ALthough things may seem good for awhile, it is inevitable that they won't stay that way. For your child is no longer him or herself...