Author Topic: Writing a play about KIDS  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Leanne

• View Profile
Writing a play about KIDS
« on: July 24, 2003, 02:31:00 AM »
For anyone who's interested, I am writing a play about the programme and my niece's experiences there. I was troubled and moved by her story, and I thought it needed telling in an accessible way for the ordinary person. She's been generous with her insights and history and the brutality it all, but as I would be interested to hear other points of view as well to incorporate into the writing, I invite anyone to share even the oddest detail, nuance or impression that you can recall about anything at all - food, discussions, the "language" of the programme (which I'm trying to master), Newton himself, the rules, etc. I'm doing some reading here, and it's a great resource, thank you. I've written to the webmaster, but got no reply, so I'm trying to reach out this way. The play is called "Saving Grace: Based on a True Story" and it will be performed in Calgary, Alberta in December at the Pumphouse Theatre. Hope to hear from you.
Leanne
Foxglove Theatre

I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

--Thomas Carlyle

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 10:58:00 PM »
what is this about what programme?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 11:18:00 PM »
In the subject line she specified KIDS...

Offline Leanne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 01:32:00 AM »
After a year of research and interviews I have co-written and will direct "Saving Grace:Based on a True Story" in Calgary, Ab. in December. This play is intended to be an eye-opener, especially for parents of teens who may be considering this type of treatment for their kids. If you think you would be able to see the show and would like more details or if you have any questions, let me know here and I'll be happy to help. I would love to have some other survivors of KIDS or similar programmes see the play and get any feedback you may be willing to offer.

Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto.
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 03:59:00 PM »
i see that its about kids. but what do u mean kids who survived similar programs.  im a kid and i survived a program but i just dont know if its what u are looking for

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 05:49:00 PM »
I'm not Leanne, but I'd be interested in anybody's take on the play. And I'd also like to see it myself. Where's it playing?

When local WAMI television in Miami did their documentary on SAFE, that was the one thing that convinced a lot of us Straight vets that SAFE is, indeed, Straight with a new wrapper. I was pretty ready to go either way on it depending on what they had to show for their investigation or to continue to suspend judgement in case they did a slack job. So I hope a lot of people with watever interest (direct involvement, morbid curiosity or whatever) will see the play and discuss it with eachother and w/ the playwright.

It takes a thousand voices.

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.

--H.L. Mencken

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes