Author Topic: Straight Inc. today (What's up and running?)  (Read 5438 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Straight Inc. today (What's up and running?)
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:07:57 PM »
Stupid question:

Aside from AARC (in Canada) and Teen Challenge, are there any other derivatives of Straight Inc. in operation right now?

A friend of mine was asking, and I want to provide an adequate answer..... thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

dragonfly

Re: Straight Inc. today (What's up and running?)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
Hey Froddy, since WDTONY hasn't replied yet, here's the most recent rendition of straight in the USA, even though it cannot be tied through corporate documents to straight inc. The two ladies featured on this page: http://www.branchescounseling.org/about.html   used to be the executive officers and directors of PFC in Indy and Michigan. Vicky Winebarger had a daughter who was on Senior Staff there at the Michigan Straight.

aarc is in CANADA, not the US and it is not straight inc. Neither is teen challenge.

dragonfly

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:12:40 AM »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 11:14:10 AM »
Don't forget PDAP. While it predates $tr8 and, possibly, the seed, it seems to come from the same well.

http://www.pdap.com/cities.htm
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 03:59:42 PM »
Exodus International's Love in action program uses Straight Inc tactics and language.

"Say “I love you _____” after each person is finished relating."
(not exactly thinly disguised).

"Absolutely no journaling or keeping a diary outside of the MI process unless directed or approved by staff."
(yup.  They do MIs)

"Be honest, authentic, and real."
(and the'll tell you when you're not, becuase they know you better than you know yourself...  see below)

"Therefore, any belongings, appearances, clothing, actions, or humor that might connect a client to an inappropriate past are excluded from the program. These hindrances are called False Images (FI’). FI behavior may include hyper-masculinity, seductive clothing, mannish/boyish attire (on women), excessive jewelry (on men), mascoting, and “campy” or gay/lesbian behavior and talk."
(might as well substitute "druggie" for FI".

"HONESTY AT ALL TIMES"
(and in the Straight sense, too.

"Refuge clients and their parents/guardians are expected to attend Love in Action’ Open Meetings whenever they occur, held on the first Tuesday of every month at Kirby Woods Baptist Church at 7:30 p.m."
(yes, they do this too, and a lot more with the parents if you read the full thing at the above link.).

"While on the LIA campus, Refuge clients must be in phaseat all times, whether indoors or out of doors. A client is “in phase” when he or she is with two or more other clients (whether Refuge or residential,) one of whom must have been in the program for at least eight weeks. Exceptions to phase rules will be granted by C.O.C. request only."
(well.  i suppose it's slightly better than beltlooping.

"No talking behind another person’ back (TBB)."

"Clients may have no contact with anyone who has left the program prior to graduating without the blessing of the staff to do so. Clients may address off-limit persons they inadvertently encounter with a polite “hello” only."

"Refuge clients may only read materials approved by staff."

"No television viewing, going to movies, or reading/watching/listening to secular media of any kind, anywhere within the client’ and the parent’/guardian’ control. This includes listening to classical or instrumental music that is not expressly Christian (Beethoven, Bach, etc. are not considered Christian)."

"Maintain strict confidentiality of everything discussed in group. “What is seen here, what is heard here, remains here!”"

"Stand when speaking, relating, or being related to. During general raps, one must stand while relating. One must also stand when someone is being given feedback or being related to."

Rules for parents:

"No discussing therapeutic issues at home. Keep conversations positive."

"Your client is not allowed to talk to anyone outside of your home including friends or family. Do not tell client who has called for them or who is asking about them."

... and lots more

There is still a lasting influence from Straight Inc, unfortunately.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 02:02:25 PM »
Quote from: "Rusty Goat"
aarc is in CANADA, not the US and it is not straight inc. Neither is teen challenge.
I have received confirmation from the corporate registry in Alberta that AARC filed with them in '89, when the project was still Kids of the Canadian West, an appendage of Miller Newton's Kids operation.  It is as much Straight as Kids was in it's provenance.  Albertans were in fact sent to Straight in the US, and this link was maintained by Newton, who benefited from the largesse of the Provincial Government in the form of funds and bodies for Kids.  If you accept the premise that Kids was Straight, then AARC is Straight.  
As an aside, I was discussing AARC with a co-worker who remarked that it sounded like Teen Challenge.  He had been "challenged" at age 30.  Forever young.
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
Canadian West."
Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »
From what I've seen of the way these groups evolve, I'd say those kids in Calgery are getting one of the more potent slices of the pie. I've seen a lot; from The Seed in it's many modes through $tr8 directly and then the broader troubled parent industry through research. A megalomaniac in relative isolation with little more challenge than enough to keep the appearance of a state of crisis (and hence the dedication and cash-flow) can be the most controlling and abusive.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Bob Meehan & the Palmer Drug Abuse Program (PDAP)
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »
Quote from: "Antigen"
Don't forget PDAP. While it predates $tr8 and, possibly, the seed, it seems to come from the same well.

http://www.pdap.com/cities.htm
File listed as being in "Box OA 19054" in the Donald Ian MacDonald Collection of the Reagan Library Archive (MacDonald having formerly been Straight, Inc.'s Medical Research Director just prior) :

Palmer Drug Abuse Conference Dallas, TX 08/06/1982[/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
      • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
    « Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 12:22:46 AM »
    Hey Froddy, since WDTONY hasn't replied yet, here's the most recent rendition of straight in the USA, even though it cannot be tied through corporate documents to straight inc. The two ladies featured on this page: http://www.branchescounseling.org/about.html   used to be the executive officers and directors of PFC in Indy and Michigan. Vicky Winebarger had a daughter who was on Senior Staff there at the Michigan Straight.

Bill...aarc is str8 ...wtf????
    "So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
    Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 12:27:22 AM »
    Quote from: "Froderik"
    Stupid question:

Aside from AARC (in Canada) and Teen Challenge, are there any other derivatives of Straight Inc. in operation right now?

A friend of mine was asking, and I want to provide an adequate answer..... thanks!

aarc is...teen challenge is not linked with str8 as far as I know.....Branches counseling, we have our eye on b/c it stemmed from programmies trying to open it after michigan pathways shut down and were still running illegal "foster homes" equalling "illegal program".
    "So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 12:15:34 PM »
    As it stands now, in my mind, aarc and straight are 2 different entities altogether. If you can show me a record with a straight inc filing on AARC I'll change my mind. Equating and direct corporate ties are two different things. The original report ISAC did in 2003 or so with that CTV reporter primarily focused on the Miller Newton influences and how the model is strikingly similar.

As far as Teen Challenge, well, I'd say they're a lot closer to straight than AARC, but that's just my opinion. We talked to a former straight inc staffer in OHIO on the sidewalk there at PFC/KHK (2008 protest) who proudly proclaimed his straight inc tenure and subsequent management position at TC up there in Dayton. Dayton was part of that city triangle logo... a KHK/STRAIGHT-MIDWEST deal.
     :cheers:

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »
    The original post asked if there were any derivatives of Straight up and running.  AARC is without question a derivative, in that the program was created as a Kids franchise, and Kids was without question derived from Straight.  Last time I checked, Miller Newton was still the former National Director of Straight.  AARC's Executive Director, credited now as the founder, was a Kids employee, and at least four other AARC staffers were clients in Kids.
    Teen Challenge is a ministry of the Assemblies of God, and has been around since the '50s,  Absent David Wilkerson's use of time travel, Teen Challenge cannot be derived from Straight.  
    Rusty Goat, wouldn't it be neat if your desire to inform your opinion was as great as your desire to express it?
    "AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
    assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
    Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
    Canadian West."
    Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 04:15:38 PM »
    I'm informed just fine thank you. I'm just being technical, that's all. My bad. Why again is AARC still open?

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 11:06:47 PM »
    I'm informed just fine thank you. I'm just being technical, that's all. My bad. Why again is AARC still open?
    It's still open b/c they need reinforcements, and I have not paid a visit yet. I will when I am well enough to do so.
    -DP