Author Topic: Academics in present programs  (Read 7642 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Academics in present programs
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 08:17:56 AM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
In short...they suck.

The academics in the program examples I provided are as good or better than what the kids were getting at home.  We need to keep in mind that many of the kids were not even going to school so just getting them into the classroom is a big step and then providing them with teachers who are experienced is even a better plus.  We can both find examples of happy and unhappy parents but the masters level academics that these schools provide speak for themselves.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"
If it's strong academics you're looking for be wary. My youngest son was incarcerated in a Therapeutic Boarding School in Ga. (by his father) for 18 mo. The facility was not licensed and took great pride in advertising as a college prep facility and tauted their accreditation through a prestigous assoc, SACS.
My son returned home in May and was distressed to learn that he is behind his peers. While most of his friends will be attending 4 classes their senior year, he will have to take the full load, 7 to make up for credits he lost while there. Check with other parents and the board of education.

Caveat emptor, parents.
"Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
I would also caution parents when reading posts by Whooter that he is an industry shill here to promote programs.  Also, if you read carefully, you will see no sources other than the marketing sites of these programs.  

Here's how Whooter's argument works:

Whooter:  "School X has great academics!"

You:  "How do you know that?"

Whooter:  "School X's website says so."

Me:  "No shit, Sherlock."

These places are notorious for false advertising, so you have to be careful and look for independent verification of Whooter's/program's claims.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »
There are many posters here on fornits who are angry with programs because they did not do well or did not complete the program.  There are others who were fired for lying on their resume and therefore can not get a job in the industry again.  They blame the program for their lack of employment and they struggle with accountability in this area.  These posters write negative posts about programs similar to the ones above.

What you need to look at are the credentials of the teachers and the degrees they have received.  If there are any questions then the best thing to do is ask the school directly or confirm their status with the state agencies.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 10:54:50 AM »
And then there is Whooter who admits he works for the industry.  Of course you don't bite the hand that feeds you, right?  

Parents should recognize that the only one with a financial stake in the proceedings here on this site is Whooter who draws his income from programs.  He's highly motivated to protect that income stream.  The rest of people here are just telling their story or are researching the facts and presenting them to the public because this industry is notoriously secretive and underhanded.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »
And then there is Whooter who admits he works for the industry.  Of course you don't bite the hand that feeds you, right?  

Parents should recognize that the only one with a financial stake in the proceedings here on this site is Whooter who draws his income from programs.  He's highly motivated to protect that income stream.  The rest of people here are just telling their story or are researching the facts and presenting them to the public because this industry is notoriously secretive and underhanded.

I think we differ greatly here, DJ.  I would not suggest taking advice from strangers on the internet anyway.  I think this is a good place to get some guidance but for the facts I suggest that readers talk to the school directly and to parents who had kids go through the program.  I think we can both agree here.  Taking the advice of disgruntled ex-employees is risky and full of bias at best.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »
I agree that if there is a disgruntled employee somewhere - I'm not aware of any here on Fornits - then their advice should be taken in context.  

Of course, the only thing worse than that is taking advice directly from a person who has a financial stake in the industry.  Personally, I ignore the marketing sites of programs (they are proven false advertisers/hucksters) and also their shills that promote the programs here (such as Whooter).

Once you rule out the industry insiders and industry marketing sites, what's left is the ex-employees, ex-residents and ex-program parents and most importantly watchdog groups/oversight agencies.  That's where most of the credible information comes from.

A dead giveaway that you are being scammed is if the person purveying the information provides a link to a program site as their reference of the programs "goodness".  That person is actively scamming you using the marketing materials of the program.  

Notice all of Whooter's posts rely on information from the program websites with no independent verification.  He's in on the scam, folks.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 12:21:40 PM »
I do admit that I like to provide links to back up my arguments. Linking to outside sources has just been a habit for a long time with me.  For example here is some academic information on Ridge Creek School (emphasize on the word "School"):

Ridge Creek Therapeutic Boarding School utilizes an individualized approach to allow for intensive study for remediation as well as enrichment. Students have the opportunity to earn their high school diploma. 100% of our high school graduates are accepted into a college. The combination of personalized study, integrated curriculum, and academic support provides our students with a solid academic foundation for the rest of their lives.

and here is the link to back up the information I provided:

Link

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »

Of course, the only thing worse than that is taking advice directly from a person who has a financial stake in the industry.  Personally, I ignore the marketing sites of programs (they are proven false advertisers/hucksters) and also their shills that promote the programs here (such as Whooter).

Once you rule out the industry insiders and industry marketing sites, what's left is the ex-employees, ex-residents and ex-program parents and most importantly watchdog groups/oversight agencies.  That's where most of the credible information comes from.

A dead giveaway that you are being scammed is if the person purveying the information provides a link to a program site as their reference of the programs "goodness".  That person is actively scamming you using the marketing materials of the program.  

Notice all of Whooter's posts rely on information from the program websites with no independent verification.  He's in on the scam, folks.

Thank you, Whooter, for proving my point.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »
DJ, your desperation in trying to discredit people that disagree with you shows that you lack confidence in your own beliefs.  I have provided links to outside sources and suggest parents contact the schools directly and speak with them and parents who have been through the process.  I dont expect any parent or reader to take the word of a random stranger on the internet.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 12:34:17 PM »
No you didn't.  You provided links to Ridge Creek, Inc's website.  Why lie about it?  It's obvious you're a shill for them, so no need to try to lie about where your links go - straight to their marketing site.  If you don't feel discredited by it, perhaps you should.  I think others recognize when they click your links they are directed to the program's site.  That's your source - the program.  No independent verification whatsoever.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 12:47:22 PM »
Sorry we disagree here DJ.  The school is accredited to teach high school level course.  They have class rooms and teachers and have received approval to teach in the State of Georgia.

Georgia Accrediting Commission (GAC) .  As much as you try to mislead the readers, DJ, Ridge Creek is still a school.  Thats why it is called Ridge Creek School.  lol

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »
I don't have the patience to wander thru Whooter's rantings, so I'll just ask the question......are the schools accredited by a reputable entity?  Are their credits transferable to a regular school/college?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 02:37:11 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
I don't have the patience to wander thru Whooter's rantings, so I'll just ask the question......are the schools accredited by a reputable entity?  Are their credits transferable to a regular school/college?

Some programs are and others are not.  You need to look at the specific program.  Ridge Creek School is accredited by the Georgia Accrediting Commission (GAC).  Jill Ryan posted some information on this in another thread.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
Many of these "schools" operate outside the law and are not licensed by the states in which they operate:

Quote from: "Guest3"
Ridge Creek School is not recognized by the state of Georgia as a private school nor is it considered licensed by the state as a school; it is considered a child caring institution. Parents need to know this so they can make an informed decision before placing their child there. The fact that RCS is permitted to call itself a "school" is very questionable to me.

RCS is not considered a "Private" school:
http://public.doe.k12.ga.us/ci_exceptio ... ateSchools

RCS is not considered a "Private" school by GAPSAC:
http://www.gapsac.org/index.php?option= ... 4&Itemid=3

RCS is not considered a "Public" school:
http://lumpkincounty.schoolinsites.com/?PN=Schools2

RCS is not considered a "Charter" school:
http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/pea_charter.aspx

RCS is not considered a "State" school:
http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/pea_stateschools.aspx

Find " State Certified" teachers:
http://www.gapsc.com/