Author Topic: Moderator Helping Cover Up Abuses  (Read 42179 times)

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
Moderator Helping Cover Up Abuses
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:49:08 PM »
If you haven't noticed yet, many threads about abusive teen programs have been deleted by The Gatekeeper (fka Joel).

Most of this content is unique, relevant and uncovers details about how these facilities operate, yet the moderator sees fit to delete them and disallow reportage of the abuses and/or facility troubles.

One recent topic about RCS covered a key staff member with a revoked license.  This was unique content and a good PSA for interested parties, but the moderator deleted it.

There seems to be an unwritten rule here akin to the "fairness doctrine" where the moderator decides what content should be posted and attempts to make a moral equivalency between "pro-program" and "anti-program" posters by regulating what can be said by whom.

This is wrong-headed and damaging to the mission of disseminating information to the public.

If you disagree with how the so-called moderator determines what content is fit for consumption and what isn't, be sure to PM or email the administrator of this site to let him know your dissatisfaction with heavy-handed, agenda-driven moderation.

Many thread are no so convoluted due to the modeerator's actions that meaningful information can't even be found because he has broken the pointer links internal to this site and also has destroyed searchablity from outside engine like Google.  There are many topics now which get a direct hit in a search engine, but when the link is clicked Fornits reports "The topic doesn't exist" because the moderator has moved them to some random location or simply deleted them.  It's clear that Joel does not understand how a databse or search engine work and he should not be destroying site content due to his ignorance.

Don't let the moderator do the work of the industry damage control agents.  Report his abuses to the administrator.

PM: psy
mail: [email protected]

Don't let your right to free speech be abridged by Joel.
************************************************************************************************
UPDATE: As of last night, 1/13/11, the threads were restored when the admin found they were wrongly removed.  This issue has been resolved to my satisfaction.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:55:00 PM by Dysfunction Junction »
"Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
Re: Moderator Helping Cover Up Abuses
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 03:56:42 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
If you haven't noticed yet, many threads about abusive teen programs have been deleted by The Gatekeeper (fka Joel).

Most of this content is unique, relevant and uncovers details about how these facilities operate, yet the moderator sees fit to delete them and disallow reportage of the abuses and/or facility troubles.

One recent topic about RCS covered a key staff member with a revoked license.  This was unique content and a good PSA for interested parties, but the moderator deleted it.

There seems to be an unwritten rule here akin to the "fairness doctrine" where the moderator decides what content should be posted and attempts to make a moral equivalency between "pro-program" and "anti-program" posters by regulating what can be said by whom.

This is wrong-headed and damaging to the mission of disseminating information to the public.

If you disagree with how the so-called moderator determines what content os fit for consumption and what isn't, be sure to PM or email the administrator of this site to let him know your dissatisfaction with heavy-handed, agenda-driven moderation.

He's even said that he doesn't have the power to delete posts but I know for a fact that he's done it to me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
?©?€~¥@

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »
He has removed several threads today, some of which were months old with several pages of content.  Just straight up 86ed them.  Whatever the case may be, if he delted them or just moved them, he doesn't possess the requisite understanding of a relational databse reuired to make Fornits coherent.  He does a driveby a couple times a day and simply censors what he doesn't want users to post.  In each and every case he failed to offer any reason from the rules why the threads were moved, only calling two of them "off topic" even if they were completely on topic or even the only post in the topic.

It has to end.  You can't find half of what you're looking for anyomore even if you know where to look.  Fornits is circling the drain due to agenda-driven moderation and selective enforcement of the forum rules.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:17:33 PM »
DJ - I found it in "Open Free For All" along with other posts and threads.  A few times I found them in the Drama Box, but that appeas to have ceased.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »
He has removed several threads today, some of which were months old with several pages of content.  Just straight up 86ed them.  Whatever the case may be, if he delted them or just moved them, he doesn't possess the requisite understanding of a relational databse reuired to make Fornits coherent.  He does a driveby a couple times a day and simply censors what he doesn't want users to post.  In each and every case he failed to offer any reason from the rules why the threads were moved, only calling two of them "off topic" even if they were completely on topic or even the only post in the topic.

It has to end.  You can't find half of what you're looking for anyomore even if you know where to look.  Fornits is circling the drain due to agenda-driven moderation and selective enforcement of the forum rules.

DJ, my posts get shelved too when I go off topic or post attacks against you or retaliate.  IMO you have been very disruptive over the past several days flooding the database with repeat posts, using various user names and you started a dozen or two new threads on the same topic of Ridge Creek School.  Your intent appeared to be disruptive in nature and not informative to the readers.  On one thread in particular I was trying to have a conversation with Jill Ryan and you continuously posted an off topic post about my "fiduciary responsibilities" and various other repeat posts in an attempt to stop our dialog.  

Every-time you get outed or frustrated you try to blame others i.e. moderators, myself.  

I understand it is frustrating, it is for me sometimes too when I have had my posts moved because I said something off topic or out of anger and I have also voiced my displeasure to the moderators at the time.  But in all fairness they are just doing their jobs and trying their best to keep the flow of conversation and information going.  Step back, like I do, and take a look at what you have posted over the past 2 days and I think you will see what I mean.

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 05:07:32 PM »
Whooter and the gatekeeper? Scary tag team. Keep it up whoot, you're doing wonders for his image.An endorsment from you should carry a lot of weight around here.
?©?€~¥@

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 05:21:30 PM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
Whooter and the gatekeeper? Scary tag team. Keep it up whoot, you're doing wonders for his image.An endorsment from you should carry a lot of weight around here.

Ha,Ha,Ha,  yea I know its like the kiss of death if I say something nice about someone.  Every-time I take someones side in an argument they never return to fornits again lol.   But we are all in the same boat, we have all had our posts moved when they are off topic.  The difference is that I take a step back count to ten and realize that I was off topic or attacking people when I should not have been.  Its not easy to be held accountable when you have made a mistake.  I have been warned and banned from fornits a few times so I am no stranger to breaking the rules and being held accountable.  Try to see it from the moderators perspective and read some of the stuff that is being posted here.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 06:31:41 PM »
Quote from: "Jill Ryan"
DJ - I found it in "Open Free For All" along with other posts and threads.  A few times I found them in the Drama Box, but that appeas to have ceased.

And that's the problem,  Jill.  When someone does a search and the results are displayed when they click the link to Fornits they get the message "The topic does not exist" because Joel moved the posts and the pointers don't get updated.

Most users will stop there.  They aren't going to manually search threads to try to find whatever they were looking for.  We know where to look and we still can't find a lot of it.  Most threads that Joel inserts himself into end up FUBARed to the point where you can't follow them and information gets buried.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 06:44:47 PM »
Quote from: "Jill Ryan"

I agree, Jill, They are easy to find.  I just check in the "Open Free For All" or search on a key word to locate them.  But basically if they have been moved its because they were duplicates or attack posts and don't need to be there.  Moving threads that were written today or referred to today is not going to affect the past posts or the original locations.   The database search engine will not be affected because the past posts have not been altered.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 07:10:38 PM »

Many thread are no so convoluted due to the modeerator's actions that meaningful information can't even be found because he has broken the pointer links internal to this site and also has destroyed searchablity from outside engine like Google.  There are many topics now which get a direct hit in a search engine, but when the link is clicked Fornits reports "The topic doesn't exist" because the moderator has moved them to some random location or simply deleted them.  It's clear that Joel does not understand how a databse or search engine work and he should not be destroying site content due to his ignorance.

DJ,  I think you are overreacting a bit and dont understand how a database works.  If you cut and paste or reference an older post that is in the database into a new thread and that thread is considered a duplicate and relocated into the OFFA by a moderator this does not affect the original relationships of the post to the thread and forum it resides in (from a search-ability standpoint).  All the google searches which worked yesterday on fornits will still work today.

All those threads you flooded the database with over the last day or two would not be in the google search engine anyway, DJ.  Do you have an example of a link that has been broken by moving a thread?

The first step in solving any issue is providing an example of what you are frustrated with so everyone can take a look at the problem.  Lets take a step back and take a look at the broken link, as viewed from Google, which would interrupt a search here on fornits or a broken link which was damaged internally.  Do you have an example of what you are talking about?  I think that you may be confused and are taking your frustration out on the moderators.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »
If it were just me maybe you'd have a case, Joel.  Many others have said the same things.  You simply seem unable to perform your duties properly.  Before when you were screwing up the forums Psy told us you were in training (like potty training I suppose), but that was months ago and you're still shitting in your pants.

It's time for Ginger to find some new help.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »
If it were just me maybe you'd have a case, Joel.  Many others have said the same things.  You simply seem unable to perform your duties properly.  Before when you were screwing up the forums Psy told us you were in training (like potty training I suppose), but that was months ago and you're still shitting in your pants.

So that means you cannot provide an example of what you are talking about.  Where is the link?....  (wheres the Beef!!)

From the first post you have never provided any evidence or a link to what you are saying, DJ.  How do expect anyone to defend themselves without evidence?

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »
I used this post because it was relevant. Come on guys, let up a bit.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=22&p=388525

Re: Joel, That's Who

New postby Samara » December 6th, 2010, 3:46 pm
This is all, as Shaggy just said in another OFFA topic, playing into Whoot's hands. As an alternative, what if we just discussed objectively improving the moderation process, instead of bashing Joel in highly inflammatory threads.

(Samara I used you post, hope you didn't mind)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 08:49:04 PM »
Heretik, I think we agree here.  The frustration should not be taken out on the moderators, we should try to stay with the discussion and just walk away if we feel overwhelmed.  Bashing the moderators just makes the poster look bad.  Here is another from the same thread that you posted from:

No, it's not just you, none-ya. Joel is back to hack-monkeying the forum again today. He has fucked up various topics by slicing and dicing posts and depositing content he approves of into random threads where they don't even fit or belong.so that what remains is unintelligible. Also when you Google certain terms that come up near the top of the hit list, when you click the links you find idiot-boy has moved or deleted the thread so the pointers don't even work.

Joel has single-handedly reduced the traffic flow to Fornits by fucking up threads and topics so badly they can't even be followed by those of us who know what to look for, much less somebody looking for information via search. It' a fucking mess now.

I understand he has been potty training for a while now, but he keeps shitting all over the house. He's not learning.

Link

But DJ never provided a link to the problem.  Its the guys MO, Heretik.  He cries about me left and right and posts comments that he claims I made  but never provides a link... why is that do you think?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »

DJ:

Main issue here is you throw a tantrum when you're not getting your way, or at least you're preparing for the possibility that you might not get your way.  The other day, you threatened me via PM, that if I didn't decide in a certain way on the Whooter contract ban, you would "expose" me.  Your evidence was my words twisted around to change their meaning, exactly like Whooter does.  Ends justify the means, huh?  You know damn well what I meant when I said, for example, Whooter was a catalyst for discussion on the forum.  Most people would admit that.  When he's gone, there is much less discussion.  It's pretty much a fact at this point.

I wanted to make you fully aware of what could happen if you proceed, and the risks to forum discussion.  Yes, I politely asked that you create parody sockpuppets to take his place (to present the program side of the argument for dissection, like old times), but never, ever did I even imply we should try to deceive the forum into thinking that you were an ed-con or something which is what you threatened to accuse me of publicly.  In addition to being highly unethical, such would inevitably result in sock-puppetry, which is a rule violation.  If you accuse me of lying now, I ask you to give me permission to release those PMs in full.  I have no doubt this is exactly how you are behaving with Gatekeeper now, and I have received 0 emails complaining about him so far for the record.

You can't just decide to overthrow the moderator every time he disagrees with you. Use the appeals process.

Everybody else:

If threads have been moved in error, as a moderator directly why, and appeal it to me if you really feel that badly about it.  It could be a mistake. Nobody is perfect.  It could be there was a good reason to move the post (rule violation, for instance), and you need to appeal before it's moved back.  This is how the system was designed to function (appeals) if you use it.  There is no need to demand heads on a platter.  

Also keep in mind that PHPBB forums sometimes go out of "sync" and posts made sometimes don't show up. This doesn't mean they're gone.  It just means the I need to do some thing in the control panel to bring it out of limbo.  Gatekeeper does have delete permissions for offa (only).  This is publicly available knowledge (stated on forum description) and is only to be used for spam.  If something else was deleted and you believe it was intentional, i'll check it out for you as logs are kept which the moderator cannot modify.

Personally, I think gatekeeper has done a great job.

Oh.  and BTW. this thread is off-topic, and it's going in Web Forum Hosting.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)