Author Topic: Teen Challenge Survivors Can Make Victim Statements in Court  (Read 50076 times)

Offline MedicalWhistleblower

• View Profile
Teen Challenge Survivors Can Make Victim Statements in Court
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:46:42 PM »
If you are a Survivor/victim of Teen Challenge You may be entitled to have a chance to provide the Federal Court with a statement regarding the harm done to you.   But do not delay the deadline prior to the court date which is Jan 25.

The Case is a Criminal Case and it's Criminal No: 10-MJ-0215-01(DAR)

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ))) ) Criminal No: 10-MJ-0215-01(DAR)
v. )
SCOTT BLOCH ))
DEFENDANT

Scott Bloch's Sentencing Hearing is scheduled for January 25, 2011 at 10:30 in Courtroom 4 of Federal District Court for the District of Columbia.  A number of people have filed victim impact statements and the Judge has entered them into the case record.   The plain meaning of the law requires Bloch's sentence include at least a month of incarceration, but Bloch (with support of Justice Department!) is arguing that the plain meaning of the law should not apply.  

Anyone can get a PACER account at http://www.pacer.gov  by which all the case  filings can be accessed.  If you log on there you can see all the other victim statements.

Scott Bloch is a US attorney, former deputy director and counsel to the Department of Justice's Task Force for Faith-based and Community Initiatives, and former Special Counsel at the United States Office of Special Counsel (OSC). The Special Counsel is the highest position in the OSC, which upholds anti-discrimination laws and whistleblower protections for federal employees.

The Teen Challenge programs were financed by money from the Office of the White House Faith-based and Community Initiative grants -  and Scott Bloch headed that agency grant program. Thus anyone who was harmed at Teen Challenge may potentially have a case against Scott Bloch for not protecting their human rights when he reviewed non governmental agency grant application and did not do due diligence to assure the safety and well being of minors and young teens who were held in those facilities funded by the Faith-based and Community grants.  Lack of adherence to regulatory standards and lack of inspections by regulatory agencies - ie: department of health. Scott Bloch preferentially gave grants to the Straight Inc. derivative type substance abuse treatment centers.

Scott Bloch also permitted the homosexual discrimination under his watch in OSC.   Bloch's first major actions as head of the office were to choose as deputy a lawyer who had publicly taken a position against the "homosexual agenda", and to hire young lawyers from Ave Maria School of Law. In February 2004, Bloch ordered all mention of sexual orientation workplace nondiscrimination be removed from OSC's website and printed materials. Bloch stated his office lacked the authority to ban discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

On October 20, 2008, Bloch announced his intention to resign from his position as Special Counsel at the OSC on January 5, 2009. But his employment ended abruptly on October 23, during a meeting with White House officials. He was subsequently barred from entry to his office by the United States Federal Protective Service, which handles security at federal facilities.

On April 27, 2010 Bloch pleaded guilty to criminal contempt of Congress for, according to the U.S. Attorney, "willfully and unlawfully withholding pertinent information from a House committee investigating his decision to have several government computers wiped ...."

Anyone can submit a victim impact statement,  You will want to state what dates you were in a Teen Challenge facility and the injuries/harm you suffered.  

The Four Injuries of  Victimization

There are various types of injuries that a victim may experience. They can be broken down into four main categories:

Physical injuries involve damage to the victim’s body. Physical injuries may range from minor (bumps, scratches) to moderate (bruises, broken bones) to severe (stabbing, gunshot wounds). Some physical injuries will be visible and others will not. It may not be possible to see the physical injuries caused by a sexual assault or injuries that are covered by clothing or an injury that happens inside the brain. Do not assume that a person is not injured simply because the injury is not visible. As a result of the crime, some victims may experience health-related problems such as headaches, stomach aches, etc. A person who already has a disability may find that the disability becomes more severe after the crime. Even when the physical wounds caused by crime have healed, the victim may continue to experience pain or discomfort for a period of time.

Financial injuries may involve stealing of money or possessions, or damage to items that have to be repaired or replaced. There may also be expenses for medical care, counseling, transportation, child care, and time off from work to go to court. If the offender was a service provider (such as a babbysitter or Personal Care Attendant), the victim or the victim’s family may need to pay for emergency care or transportation services until a new service provider can be hired. For many victims with limited resources, these financial injuries cause a great deal of hardship.

Emotional injuries are described in more detail in the section on "The Trauma of Victimization." For many victims, witnesses and their family members, the emotional injuries may be the most difficult and long-lasting effects of being the victim of a crime.

Social injuries are those caused by society. A social injury occurs when the victim is treated insensitively, does not think anyone cares or is not able to get the help she needs. Anyone can cause a social injury: a friend or family member, a law enforcement officer, a prosecutor, a member of the clergy, or a counselor or other service provider, who may not believe the victim who reports a crime, may not help the victim, or may not treat the victim with dignity, compassion and respect. Social injuries are discussed further in "The Trauma of Victimization" section on the NOVA website.

http://www.trynova.org/victiminfo/victi ... uries.html

Send the victim statement to:

Clerk of the Court

Federal District Court

333 Constitution Avenue, NW,

Washington DC 20001

If any Teen Challenge survivor/victim wishes to contact me for further information have them email me, Medical Whistleblower, Executive Director, Dr. Janet Parker DVM at [email protected]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline seamus

• View Profile
Re: Teen Challenge Survivors Can Make Victim Statements in C
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »
Eventhough tere is useful content ,did it have to be posted74 times? I mean holy tiny fucked a stump. :eek:
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
Quote from: "MedicalWhistleblower"
If you are a Survivor/victim of Teen Challenge You may be entitled to have a chance to provide the Federal Court with a statement regarding the harm done to you.   But do not delay the deadline prior to the court date which is Jan 25.The Case is a Criminal Case and it's Criminal No: 10-MJ-0215-01(DAR) UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ))) ) Criminal No: 10-MJ-0215-01(DAR) v. )SCOTT BLOCH )) DEFENDANT
Send the victim statement to:
Clerk of the Court
Federal District Court
333 Constitution Avenue, NW,
Washington DC 20001
If any Teen Challenge survivor/victim wishes to contact me for further information have them email me, Medical Whistleblower, Executive Director, Dr. Janet Parker DVM at [email protected]
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:20:23 PM »
Quote from: "The gatekeeper"
:bump:

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:46:06 PM »
:bump:
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline MedicalWhistleblower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 05:08:17 AM »
Three very brave survivors of Teen Challenge provided me with their oral and written impact statements.  Thank you for your courage in coming forward at this important time.  We were successful in getting our plea for justice in front of the judge for her review.  In an effort to protect survivor's identities - individual victim statements will not be in the official court record.  But the strength of their testimonies did give me the support I needed to put forward the general victim/survivor impact statement.   I believe that it was taken seriously by the judge.  

http://workplacecredibleactivist.wordpr ... tatements/

Scott Bloch had already plead guilty to criminal contempt of the US Congress.  His act of erasing the digital files on his own government office computer and also erasing files on the computers of his staff, I believe, shows a clear effort to subvert the FBI and the US Congressional investigation.  

So I joined other whistleblowers in requesting Attorney General Eric Holder make sure that Scott Bloch did face appropriate justice for his actions in retaliating against whistleblowers and for not protecting children by being more careful in which programs he gave federal Faith-based and Community Initiative money.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/docume ... php?page=1

I am happy to tell you that Scott Bloch has been sentenced to jail time - he is appealing the sentencing and had wanted to serve no jail time at all.  
But the Judge in her own deliberations decided that 1 month mandatory jail time is appropriate.  

I hope that I have properly and effectively lobbied for all of you.  I thank you for your trust and your support, it has meant a lot to me.  I am glad that I could serve in a capacity for your human rights in this important case that was in front of the US Federal District Court in Washington DC.  

Scott Bloch’s Plea Agreement: http://legaltimes.typepad.com/files/dqu29000.pdf

Judge denies Scott Bloch’s right to appeal sentencing verdict 3-29-11
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/docume ... php?page=1

Judges order is stayed pending appeal in Scott Bloch case March 10, 2011
http://legaltimes.typepad.com/files/robinson_order.pdf

Bloch’s DOJ press release 4-27-10
http://legaltimes.typepad.com/files/blo ... -27-10.pdf

Court Denies Scott Bloch & DOJ Collusive Attempt To Withdraw Plea
http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2011/ ... draw-plea/

Ex-Bush Official Scott Bloch Will Stay Out of Jail Pending Appeal April 7, 2011
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/scott_bloch/

See Medical Whistleblower articles:

http://medicalwhistleblower.blogspot.com/

How does an abusive teen rehab center avoid regulation and inspection?
http://medicalwhistleblower.blogspot.co ... enter.html

Teen Challenge, Politics, Lack of Regulation and Child Abuse
http://medicalwhistleblower.blogspot.co ... ck-of.html

In spite of US Congressional Investigations - Abusive Rehab Centers Remain
http://medicalwhistleblower.blogspot.co ... ional.html

Teen Challenge Received Money from Peters Company Ponzi Scheme
http://medicalwhistleblower.blogspot.co ... -from.html

Scott Bloch will spend 1 month in Jail
http://medicalwhistleblower.blogspot.co ... -jail.html

Scott J. Bloch – Whistleblower Retaliation and Hatch Act Violations
http://medicalwhistleblower.blogspot.co ... ation.html

Offline TC_Saved_Me

• View Profile
I escaped from the Teen Challenge "Cult"
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 10:25:24 AM »
Well, I've been reading through some of these Discussion Boards, and thought that my input might carry some weight.  Since I have actually been enrolled in Teen Challenge, and successfully completely both phases of the program, unlike some other people who are posting on here...

When I went into Teen Challenge, I was court ordered because I had been arrested three times in just under a year.  All of the arrest were drug-related offenses.  To make a long story short, I was raised in a church, and never even liked going to church when I was invited.  But by the time I was arrested for the third time, I was completely addicted to drugs & alcohol, and was desperate to get myself clean, so I thought I'd try Teen Challenge.

The program had a very strict curriculum, and I wanted to leave the program several times (Once you are in the program, you are free to leave whenever you choose, but you cannot come back for a certain amount of time once you do).  If I wasn't court-ordered to finish Teen Challenge, I probably would have left to be honest.  But I stuck it out, and did my best to follow all of the rules that were enforced.  The consequences for breaking the rules vary, but you normally will have to do extra chores, and memorize more scriptures out of the Bible.

The program is basically: very structured, work responsibilities, Bible classes, required church attendence, scripture memorization, etc.  It was EXACTLY what I needed!  I'm not going to claim to be an expert on cults, but I believe most cults brainwash you to believe that someone or something in the confines of that cult should be worshipped.  Teen Challenge is not like that at all.  You are required to attend church services, but that's about it.  They don't strong-arm anyone to believe anything, they simply take an approach like most parents should when raising their children, "You're living under my roof, you will follow my rules.  If you don't follow my rules, you will have to pay consequences.  If you don't like the consequences, you are free to leave at any time."  It's that simple!

Anyway, as I stuck with the program, I tried to give this "Christianity" thing a serious try, and started praying and reading my bible daily.  Before I knew it, God had healed my body and my mind.  I was a new person by the time I left that program.  I never "worshipped" or "served" Teen Challenge while I was in the program, I was encouraged and learned how to "worhsip" and "serve" God.  That's it.

If you're still reading this, I have long been removed from Teen Challenge.  I am no longer affiliated with the program in any way.  But because of that "Cult," I have now been sober for 6 years, and have a beautiful wife and two beautiful daughters.  I'm a pretty decent husband, father, and man.   I attend church every Sunday, and pay my taxes.  I have a great job working for the US Army.  Basically, I'm now a normal person, and my family - who couldn't trust me as far as they could throw me when I was addicted to drugs - loves me more than ever before.  Teen Challenge did all of that for me.  If that's what a "cult" is, then I encouraged anyone with a life-controlling addiction to find the nearest cult, and get involved as soon as possible!  God Bless!

N.O.S.O.B.

Re: I escaped from the Teen Challenge "Cult"
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »

Offline TC_Saved_Me

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 12:23:20 PM »
Hmmm... Now that I think about it, I WAS brainwashed!  

My brain used to think about crack, weed, blunts, bongs, sex, and 40 oz's!  

Now my brain thinks about scripture!

Thank you for raising my "awareness" of this "brainwashing!"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 12:45:43 PM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:36:41 PM by Anonymous »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »
Quote from: "TC_Saved_Me"
Hmmm... Now that I think about it, I WAS brainwashed!  

My brain used to think about crack, weed, blunts, bongs, sex, and 40 oz's!  

Now my brain thinks about scripture!

Thank you for raising my "awareness" of this "brainwashing!"
Is this the kind of self-image that Teen Challenge encourages you to harbor?
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 02:53:12 PM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:36:24 PM by Anonymous »

Offline TC_Saved_Me

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 03:02:36 PM »
Teen Challenge does not "teach" its students to "harbor" anything.  The staff there encourage the students to study the Bible, and to develop their own interpretation of the Holy Scriptures through prayer.

I took offense when being accused of being "brainwashed," so I considered some scripture, and it actually says in Romans 12: 2, "Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."

So, after considering my accusers comments about being "brainwashed," I decided that his/ her accusation actually does line up with what the Bible teaches.  So, I HAVE in fact been brainwashed!

And, YES, that is the kind of self image that I have: confident in my salvation, and in my sobriety through faith in God.  

Do you know someone who has overcome addiction?  Whether through faith in God or through some other means?  If so, wouldn't you expect them to be proud of their sobriety?  I am.  

I have been clean since June 16, 2006.  And I am proud of that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 03:38:55 PM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:35:58 PM by Anonymous »

Offline TC_Saved_Me

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »
Anyone who leaves that program prematurely, whether they get kicked out or leave on their own accord, considers themself a "victim."  "After a month in that program, I had my bags packed, and almost walked out the doors.  I consider all the discipline that I had to endure to be "abuse."  But it wasn't..

That's why I thought it was imperative for a graduate to log into this site, and share my testimony.