Author Topic: WAITING FOR REPARATIONS  (Read 5784 times)

Offline Brian Dodd

• View Profile
WAITING FOR REPARATIONS
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:05:03 PM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:12:41 PM by Brian Dodd »

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Re: WAITING FOR REPARATIONS
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:11:15 PM »
That's a great tune to sing on our way to the bank, while we count our reparations, earned from filing class suits.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

dragonfly

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:13:03 PM »

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:31:48 AM »
I think the lawsuit thing would go over so much better if some of these MILLIONAIRE survivors would just pare off a mil or two in a separate account for legal actions. There are surely several MILLIONAIRE survivors out there... That's the last thing the Semblers would expect, LOL... WOOPS, they have what? MILLIONS OF $$$ TO FIGHT? Hmmm... Then the suits would get somewhere.  :cheers:

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:29:31 AM »
Quote from: "Rusty Goat"
I think the lawsuit thing would go over so much better if some of these MILLIONAIRE survivors would just pare off a mil or two in a separate account for legal actions. There are surely several MILLIONAIRE survivors out there... That's the last thing the Semblers would expect, LOL... WOOPS, they have what? MILLIONS OF $$$ TO FIGHT? Hmmm... Then the suits would get somewhere.  :cheers:

Amen! It's gonna take some serious $ to put together a case that has a chance of winning. A big law firm with a good investigative dept. would be able to put it all together but somebody is gonna have to shell out the $ to get it going. If I had it, I would, and I know alot of other people feel the same way. I agree with RG, where are the millionaire survivors? There has to be some out there.

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 05:36:32 AM »
Straight claiming to be a non profit organization ought to be sufficient reason to have several people incarcerated for fraud and tax evasion.  Tax laws are what brought Al Capone to his demise, so why should'nt it work in our favor?

What about all those houses on the beach that were GIVEN to former staff and cronies lock, stock and barrel?  Where did the damn money come from?  There was a woman named Carol Price who worked for HRS that helped funnel kids into Straight that 'lo and behold was suddenly the owner of a two story house on Redington Beach that I know damn well did'nt pull in enough money to buy it.  This was back in 1978.  I also heard that Dave Crock and Chris Casselor both recieved beach property from Straight.  There has to be some sort of bank records of where the money came from.  There is a records division off of 49th Street North a little ways past 126th Avenue that might be of some help.  The staff there are really friendly and helpful.  Another thing that should come to light is that there was a really bad recession in 1979 that affected a lot of things including real estate and construction.  How is it that Mel Sembler was able to keep on building shit willy nilly and had enough clout to bulldoze permits that illegally allowed one of his buddies to divert storm water run-off across one of his properties near Tyrone which ended up overflowing the drainage system.  During the flood of May 8th 1979, this illegal and otherwise hidden breach of law helped contribute to the drowning deaths of an Ohio woman and her fourteen year old daughter when they were pulled into a current and sucked into a completely engulfed storm pipe while wading their way to Tyrone Square Mall.  The Sembler Company was found  partially at fault in Pinellas County Court, but it took the husband/father of the victims over 15 damn years to collect.  What's funny is that there is no record of the article in the St. Pete Times data base at the public library about the lawsuit, just articles about the flood 15 years previous.  I spent about 3 days trying to find mention of it at the St. Pete Public Library back in '04.  I even went thru the microfilm records and got zip.

The Pinellas County Tax Assessor's Office ought to be able to shed light on various properties.  If enough evidence can be accumulated that there was more wheeling dealing, and buying up and constructing going on than Mel Sembler's Company could have financed, then the money had to come from somewhere.  It sure as hell was'nt spent on lavish furnishings, AIR CONDITIONING, 10 or 12 stall boys and girls restrooms with quality fixtures, or a spacious dining room and high quality nutritious meals at the Morgan Yacht building!!!!  But this little research project should'nt just include the Original Straight, what about all the offshoots?  What about the records for Sarasota Straight or the Atlanta program?  There has got to be records of where the start up money came from.  If it all came from Sembler's bank, then maybe a lawyer can force open some bank records and see where the money trail leads.  How about the perpetual Flea Market sales at the Wagon Wheel Flea Market in Pinellas Park?
If Flea Market records can show that the booths operated as a profit making venture, then Straight's ass is grass.  In order to sell as a non-profit entity, they had to have a permit, otherwise taxes were supposed to be collected and paid.  Just writing about all this is pissing me off enough to see what I can do to contribute to this online.  I know that the Tax Assessors Office website is user friendly, because I've used it to get the dirt on shitty landlords.  If anybody wants to play detective with me lets rock!
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

dragonfly

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:12:46 PM »
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:52:51 PM by dragonfly »

dragonfly

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:26:22 AM »
Quote from: "dragonfly"
That's good for a minute there I thought maybe they were ripping my folks off.....

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :roflmao:

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »
In 1983, in Springfield GULAG5515, my folks paid $4000 for 13 months worth of brainwashing, and then aftercare was free I suppose. That works out to about $333 per month. For 150 clients, that works out to about $49,950 per month or nearly $600,000 per year just for treatment fees.  However, there was a "Honey Pot" passed around at every open meeting so that's 8 or more per month depending on which month it was as some months have 5 weeks. You'd have to look at the old staff lists to find out who was the treasurer and call em up. Then, fundraising, grants and plenty of volunteer services, even the doctors like schwartz were free... (according to Riddile). Riddile was gettin about $60,000 a year and the Jr. staff was no more than $5/hr, if that...

dragonfly

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »
I got whatever min wage was at the time . I wanna say $3.05.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 11:51:22 PM »
No Dragonfly, I was never on staff. I knew a couple of them who still worked after I got out in Nov of 84 and they talked about how shitty the pay was but how they were helping and well, you know, they were hyperwashed. According to this agency: http://www.dbhds.virginia.gov/   the records from straight inc in Va were destroyed 10 years after 1991. I tried getting them in 2004 to no avail. It took about 8 months for them to search high and low but they came back empty handed. You can give em a call and who knows, maybe they're stuck in a corner somewhere.

Now, there is a letter in former VA Governor Robb's files there in Richmond VA written by me when I was on a higher phase, sometime in 1984. He actually wrote a letter back to me but it is nowhere to be found in my records. I don't even remember what I wrote, but it would be cool to see his response and also what I wrote to him. I think the tone of it was to apologize for my law-breaking activities in VA, kinda like looking for some clemency even though I was never really arrested or whatever, it's what that damn program was doing to my head, you know... confess! According to the library folks down there in Richmond, a copy of those should be in his file, but I do not have the time/funds to take a day and retrieve them. If you knew someone in Richmond who could do such a thing, maybe they could find em. I had asked a survivor about a year ago, but they never did it so I just stopped worryin about it till I get some time/$.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 12:39:11 AM »
Quote from: "Froderik"
Quote from: "dragonfly"
That's good for a minute there I thought maybe they were ripping my folks off.....

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :roflmao:
:bump:
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Whootie Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 06:27:29 PM »
Brian Dodd has done way more harm to the cause of Straight Survivors than any good he ever did(if any).  His posts should never be taken seriously. I don't give a shit if he is actually a survivor or not. He is the ultimate loose cannon and hurts us all. fuck him!