Author Topic: How is 2010 daytop in Hungtingon NY?  (Read 6409 times)

Offline LONGISLANDNY

• View Profile
How is 2010 daytop in Hungtingon NY?
« on: January 03, 2011, 11:16:33 PM »
I have a friend who's being sent to the Daytop Village in Hungtington, Long Island, NY.  She's going to be in outpatient program.  What's it like in 2010? I can't see her without being drug tested for six months.  I practically breathe marijuana so I doubt I'll be able to see her.  

I've only begun to read up on these sorts of places.  I am having trouble finding any recent information on Daytop, specifically the Huntington location.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Re: How is 2010 daytop in Hungtingon NY?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:37:28 AM »
Daytop Village, Inc.Suffolk Outreach Center
2075 New York Avenue, Huntington Station 11746
(213) 354-6000

As you’ve already been advised that you would have to test clean for six months before being allowed to speak with them, then you’re probably already aware that this means your friend is required to sign a behavior contract that includes no contact with unapproved friends.  AIRC achieving approval status also entails an interview process that will involve both you and your parents (if you are under eighteen).

As for information specific to the Huntington location, I think it wouldn’t be much different than the other outreach centers.

You can get a fairly good idea of what a Daytop outreach center is like and where it can go from there (referral to residential or moving up to second stage) by reading this thread. Incidentally, second stage is essentially reentry-- which for residential programs is a referral back to an outreach center... Go figure.

You can get just a fleeting (puff piece) glimpse of what little Daytop allowed to be filmed of another outreach center profile from  this thread that Oscar started as well as find a link to the show. My comments regarding the level of detail are along side of the link.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:43:05 PM »
I went there, but it was around '94, or '95.  Basically, it sucked.  

You walk in, and you say, " wow, this place is weird", and then before ya know, they start trying to force you into the weirdness.

You go from feeling like somebody, to feeling like nobody. Your insides are everybody's property.  You do degrading work all day, without gloves. Classes are fun, and for an honest person, who isn t out to psychically eat others alive, they are the only refuge.  They will change your friend no doubt.. They will brainwash her if she stays.  I am sorry to say it, but it is true.   It happens over a period of time.  You go from being a person of the world, to a person of Daytop.  

I don t like dishing out bad news, but if Daytop has it's way, your friend will probably be very different for at least awhile after leaving, and may not even want to have anything to do with you anymore.  If your friend resists, then this will probably not be the case, but she has a very hard time ahead of her .

Again, I was there many years ago...

I did pass by though, once since I attended.. I was coming back from a job....LOL... and we tried taking some short-cut, and we got lost, in some bad part of Huntington.. LOL!  "wow, we thought, the neighborhood sure gets shitty over here", and then holy shit, after over 10 years, there that fricking building was... Looked exactly the same...

I would guess that it is pretty much the same as it was, though.. This is what happenned...

As we were stopped at a light directly in front of the building, of course, I was staring in... checking it out...  Two girls, who honestly, I hadn t even hardly noticed were cleaning front glass, and the steps on the inside.. These 2 who, nothing for nothing, were no feast for the eyes, thought I was looking at them, and so they started like posing and shit...

I was like, " Dude, they think we are looking at them... "  We started laughing at them, and they start pulling their pants down a bit, flashing their asses- just like that, while looking aroung, making sure noone could see..

I remember John, the guy I was with, goes, " What the fuck is wrong with these chicks?"

Then all of a sudden, the girls got this terrified look on their faces, and some dickhead tough guy comes walking down..

and the girls, like children reporting their side of a story to a parent, start pointing at us, and exclaiming whatever the hell they were exclaming, and this fucking jerk...

walks down to the front door, and looks at us, and starts waving his finger and mouthin the word "No." to us.

John had to pull away , cause right then I fucking lost it, I was on my way, out the door to kick that MFers ass.

First of all, I ain t no scumbag, who's gonna look at little girls, who are only acting out abd acting all slutty , because they are in a prgram that makes them feel like real romantice love and sexuality are crimes of the highest order.
Second of all, I was not gonna be told what to do by one of these pricks now.

He starts acting all tough towards me, even though I know he was scared shit, as we were pulling away, and then a bunch of other "child-athorities" came running down, and they all jerked eachother off about how it's not worth it.

They were probably saying shit like " It's not worth it.  You know how the 'real world' is. You're not like that anymore.  You have had a lof of growth.

Judging by everything I saw, I would say it is exactly the same as it was, when I was there.  You can judge my reaction, to that wannabe tough guy, and get an idea of how it effected me.

In their minds, "Daytop" is one place, and "the Real world" is another.  I hate to tell ya.. But your friend has been forced into a cult, and I am being completly objective, when I say that.

Paul

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:10:45 PM »
Quote from: "Paul St. John"
In their minds, "Daytop" is one place, and "the Real world" is another.  I hate to tell ya.. But your friend has been forced into a cult, and I am being completly objective, when I say that.
Paul
There was so much in that post that I agree with and could probably expand upon from my own experiences, but the reference (and so aptly put) to the “child authorities” particularly resonated with me at this time. I was also reminded some similar scenes of Daytop damage interacting albeit fleetingly with “the real world”  and one that resulted in a girls group that really was somewhere between a mass haircut and a girls only house meeting that reinforced the same damage PSJ is recognizing in this post.
…Child authorities indeed.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis