Author Topic: Where did "the game" come from ?  (Read 11810 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: Where did "the game" come from ?
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »
"Places to escape to"..makes me think of 1984 and the protag's musings about disappearing / blending in with the "proles" in effort to get away from "the party." It was the only possible escape, yet it didn't pan out for them ultimately; a grim prospect, at least as far as the book is concerned...

I like the t-shirt idea, a lot! It would potentially generate conversation with anyone who had ever been in any one of these places (not just one of them).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2011, 05:00:10 PM »
Ok, catching up on some fornits reading here...

Is there an ~expected outcome to the Game? What is the "normal" response when put in that situation? I want to know how many people just did not respond and was that  considered some kind of emotional defect?

I certainly get myself into trouble when I start asking these questions, but that's ok.. IDC. In my mind, we are all equals here and had equality in our experiences no matter when, how long or where we were placed.

In sociology, I really had to think about the Asch and Zimbardo experiments when we talked about them in class. I knew that likely the rest of the students could not even begin to understand how that sort of thing happens and works.. but I did. I had lived it. And it just brought up so much for me about how would I have responded in those specific situations. Maybe I would have taken on a guard role or maybe I would have shocked the "patient". I just didn't know. I would like to think that I would have refused to participate, no matter the consequences.

And it's interesting that you brought this point up Pirate, because I can see where I may have super imposed this "Game" in my life since Straight. After Straight, even I demanded complete honesty from everyone... lies of omission were punishable (by me) and never cooperatively discussed.  I can say that I don't think I have done that in a very long time though.. I don't need total honesty and I don't give it either. There are some things that some people just don't need to know about my life...maybe that is what has changed in me and led me to college.

So, in the Synanon or the Seed or any place.. what happened to the people who refused to "play the game"? And where are these people? What kind of emotional situations have they found themselves in since then? Where are the people who didn't even both to try and run away, but just waited it out...like one would wait out a hurricane...

Haha! Posts this long, always get me into trouble ^.~ be gentle..

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
shock the monkey*
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2011, 05:39:51 PM »
Quote from: "Withdraw"
In sociology, I really had to think about the Asch and Zimbardo experiments when we talked about them in class. I knew that likely the rest of the students could not even begin to understand how that sort of thing happens and works.. but I did. I had lived it. And it just brought up so much for me about how would I have responded in those specific situations. Maybe I would have taken on a guard role or maybe I would have shocked the "patient". I just didn't know. I would like to think that I would have refused to participate, no matter the consequences.
Don't forget Stanley Milgram, on whose expts. at least some of what Zimbardo explored was perhaps predicated. In fact, I think you may well have had Milgram in mind when you wrote about "shock[ing] the 'patient'," since, iirc, neither Asch nor Zimbardo used electrical shock in their experiments?

—-—-—-—-—-—
* "Shock The Monkey." See also "We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)." And, from the Wikipedia entry Milgram Experiment:

The track "We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)" on Peter Gabriel's album So is a reference to Milgram's Experiment 18, in which 37 of 40 people were prepared to administer the highest level of shock.[/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: February 02, 2011, 08:16:02 PM »
    Ursus,

Yes, you are right. Asch was the line guy and the conformity/peer pressure (sorta) experiment. I think of all those group conformity experiments as the same. Sorry =) It has been a couple years, lol.

The Gatekeeper,

I get it, Straight "raps" were just as aggressive and confrontational. But, conformity was not an absolute result. This is where I get myself into trouble...

So, instead of getting off topic.. I edited.

Thanks =)