Author Topic: Disgusted  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Samara

• View Profile
Disgusted
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:04:31 PM »
So a relative by marriage came over who just came back from an event that Monsignor O'Brien attended.  This person tells me O'Brien was there and told him that my relative's grandfather contributed money to start Daytop at O'Brien's request. I am disgusted. My friend seemed proud of this contribution and of course I verbally vomited all over the place.  He asked me: What, you don't think it is good to help teen addicts?

Just disgusted by how much misinformation is out there, and he's looking at me dumbstruck while I talk about therapeutic cults etc. He doesn't get it.  Of course, I could not explain in a linear fashion the methods and culture of therapeutic cults - I was taken by surprise and disgusted by his assumptions they are all intended for the public good. When I explained some of the quackery, he said that maybe it devolved over time, but certainly, Monsigor O' Brien's initial foundation was strong.

Is there any book or article that illustrates the reality of Daytop?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Disgusted
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:10:52 AM »
Quote from: "Samara"
So a relative by marriage came over who just came back from an event that Monsignor O'Brien attended.  This person tells me O'Brien was there and told him that my relative's grandfather contributed money to start Daytop at O'Brien's request. I am disgusted. My friend seemed proud of this contribution and of course I verbally vomited all over the place.  He asked me: What, you don't think it is good to help teen addicts?

Something like that happened to me when I found out about 4 people in a college class I was taking were staff at Teen Challenge.  It was like I was in a trance.  Verbal vomiting did indeed ensue and needless to say, I never saw them again (though I finished the class).  Had a real confrontation with one of them in the hall after class too.  They had sent family away to the program too and abandoned one kid because he was gay.  I just railed on this guy.  Somewhere on this forum there is a more complete account.

A book about Daytop?  Not sure if it exists.  It might be best to point to show them stuff about Synanon and explain what they did.  If they express disbelief, quote them excerpts from posts of people here or show them court testimony about Daytop (if there is any) or a similar program, just to show them it happened and you're not making it up.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 04:09:55 AM »
The books about Daytop (not just those written by founders) come from a punch drunk on some tough love place of “It was brutal but it’s better than…(yep you guessed it) ending up dead insane or in jail”. Life in four options. The Fiction accounts in Paul Volpini’s rooftop is the most recent of these. (That title clearly chosen by a guy who never had to sweep the sun off of one)All of what articles and books on the topic of Daytop that I’ve seen are (even in their most painstakingly contrived to emphasize a dint of “no pain no gain”) telling tales of traumatic treatment—which is the reality of Daytop.
Hell, even titles like “A scream Away from Happiness” by Casriel (A founder who also wrote Daytop: Three Addicts and their cure) “So much pleasure- so little pain” by Vassili (An uneven account written by a guy who “went undercover to explore Daytop” and became the Director of a short lived program called Encounter, Inc.) convey some insight into what damage the author is bringing or coming from.

There are numerous articles and papers that harshly condemn the practices that are inherent to the programs of places like Daytop. However, there are so very few that actually name Daytop within them and there’s always spin. Daytopaganda is really vague and therefore pretty good. Daytop sells their LE’s not as humiliations, but as growth opportunities. Their encounter groups aren’t called I scream you scream we all scream for I scream, it’s venting, and an opportunity to be confronted and “confront yourself in the eyes and hearts of others” and probably by shill troll logic even worthy of a communications course credit.

As for the “Maybe it devolved over time” dismissal...  The Deitch influence brought in the breakdowns as break through components, but Casriel who was there earlier was also a quack through and through and O’Brien (who I briefly met while at Daytop) seems like a really warm person. Nevertheless quotes from his “You can’t do it alone” tell of his devout belief in his work and offered some barley bearable and wince worthy quotes. While I’m quite sure O’Brien never once issued a dealt with or had someone knock for their Haircut, he’s still Daytop and has been there all along --thereby endorsing all of Daytop’s doings all along.

As for being able to present a cogent side of the discussion without benefit of a backspace key, I can totally relate with what’s been said on this thread. It’s hit or miss as to whether I’m able to verbally convey an articulate and enlightening statement re: the realities of these places or just shut down and even as Eliscu2 once put it “come out of the Élan bag at them”. In my case that’s choking out Daytop lingo while having difficulty modulating the intensity of heightened emotion and quelling welling rage. Especially while as you put it “Disgusted by the assumptions that they are all intended for the public good”

Hey, tell that guy to tell O’Brien that I said thanks for supplying the cigarettes that developed into my addiction to nicotine and later into chronic asthma and respiratory problems and for the PTSD not to mention the totally destructive influence of having perpetrator rationales reinforced into my psyche as treatment!  :flame:

Psy’s recommendations seem to be for the best.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »
Samara,
Just some info I pulled together from the net. Probably doesn't help to establish a linear trail of abusive treatment methods or detail the therapeutic inadequacies of programs like Daytop. Never the less I thought it may have some value.

1) http://the390.com/feature/millbrook-day ... r-burglary / MILLBROOK DAYTOP RESIDENTS ARRESTED FOR BURGLARY

The New York State Police Poughkeepsie Barracks have arrested two individuals for the burglary of the Stewarts Grocery Store located on Franklin Avenue in the Village of Millbrook, NY. The burglary occurred on Sunday, 12/19/2010 approximately midnight. Troopers responded to an audible alarm going off at the Stewarts and quickly realized that a burglary had occurred. The Troopers were able to locate the two suspects who committed this burglary and arrest them.
Joseph D. Rutkowski, 17 years old, and Michael A. Ennis, 17 years old, who are both residents of Daytop in Millbrook, were both arrested for felony burglary and criminal mischief. They were both also charged with misd. criminal possession of stolen property and arraigned in the Village of Millbrook Court, then remanded to the Dutchess County Jail in lieu of $5000 cash bail and $10,000 bail bond.

2) Daytop's HDQ's moving up to Manhattan. http://therealdeal.com/newyork/articles ... es-for-27m

3) http://osc.state.ny.us/audits/allaudits/093010/08r1.htm / Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services
Contract with Daytop Village, Inc.

Daytop was audited by the The New York State Office of Alcoholism & Substance Abuse Services (OASAS) and found that Daytop did not fulfill responsibilities they were contracted for, to the tune of 110 million over a six year period. As a matter of fact they were overpaid 15 million to boot.

For a complete copy of Report 2008-R-1 click here.
For a copy of the 90-day response click here.    

4) Ex students from Daytop have a site on myspace/ I Survived DAYTOP Mendham!! | MySpace Groups
I Survived DAYTOP Mendham!!, a MySpace "Other" Group, The Group Dedicated to Daytop Residential Survivors Who Are Free At Last.

5) Ex-Priest Indicted in Daytop Sex Abuse
Madison Resident Charged with Endangering 4 Teen Boys in Rehab
http://www.bishop-accountability.org/ne ... Priest.htm

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 12:32:29 PM »
Quote from: "heretik"
4) Ex students from Daytop have a site on myspace/ I Survived DAYTOP Mendham!! | MySpace Groups
I Survived DAYTOP Mendham!!, a MySpace "Other" Group, The Group Dedicated to Daytop Residential Survivors Who Are Free At Last.

There is also the Parksville Daytop listing at http://www.myspace.com/swanlakesucks
Daytop Parksville AKA The House of Pain. It’s been called that for a while. One of the Texas counselors who was "raised-up there" was quite fond of telling us that over and over again.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis