Author Topic: Independent Study Shows Success.  (Read 25199 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Independent Study Shows Success.
« on: December 02, 2010, 06:49:32 PM »
Quote from: "Gonzotherapy"

When you provide info, if you want it to be taken seriously, it must be independent information.

So that brings us full circle, Gonzo.  Below there is an independent writer who wrote a book about spending 14 months in a program.  I also provided a link to an independent study which was overseen by a thrid party to insure there was no conflict of interest.  They are from the state of Washington (I hope that state is acceptable to you)

Here are a couple of links for you:

1)  This was a study conducted surveying 1,000 parents and graduates of a few programs.  The study was overseen by WIRB (The Western Institutional Review Board) and they also approved the study.  The results were presented at the Annual meeting of the APA American Psychological Association.

Link

2)  There was a writer who spent 14 months (I thought it was 16 months) inside a program and then wrote a book about his findings

Link

A Pulitzer Prize-winning writer untangles the mysteries of the
teenage mind as he witnesses troubled kids transformed by fourteen
months at a school that offers therapy for adolescents in
crisis.
Millions of parents struggle to grasp what goes on in their kids' heads,
on their computers, and among their friends. As an education correspondent
for U.S. News & World Report, David L. Marcus
wrestled with similar
questions while reporting on the welter of pressures American teenagers
now face – a resurgent drug culture, proliferating temptations and threats
on-line, skyrocketing suicide rates (three times higher than in the
1960s).
To find answers, Marcus gained unfettered access to students, staff,
and parents at the Academy at Swift River
in the hills of western
Massachusetts. The kids at Swift River had already ventured down a
number of perilous paths all parents fear their own children might
take – drug use, violence, theft, internet addictions, eating disorders,
promiscuity. Known for combining intensive academics, a wilderness
program and group therapy, the school helps troubled teenagers emotional
health.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:52:01 AM by Whooter »

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Re: Kids in Program Credible?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »
If there are any programs which are under investigation for abuse or found to be abusive then they should be avoided also. I think we agree here.

You didn't seem to have any issues with HLA while the lawsuits and numerous investigations were going on. Why the sudden change of heart?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
Aspen Education Programs Are Abusive
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 09:40:23 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Aspen programs should be avoided.

Now we're getting somewhere.
"Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 10:42:23 AM »

Below there is an independent writer who wrote a book about spending 14 months in a program.

You can't be serious.  Independent???    :rofl:  :rofl:

You mean the guy who is a paid consultant for the Academy?  Ursus, help me out here darlin'.

And spent 14 months IN a program?  Just like the kids, right?  Was subjected to the exact same things as the kids, right?  Nothing was cleaned up or postponed while he was there, right??   Yeah, I remember when Beth Polson from 60 Minutes came and did her piece on Straight - then the book - then the movie.  ALL bullshit.  ALL of it.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 10:47:32 AM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Below there is an independent writer who wrote a book about spending 14 months in a program.

You mean the guy who is a paid consultant for the Academy?  Ursus, help me out here darlin'.

And spent 14 months IN a program?  Just like the kids, right?  Was subjected to the exact same things as the kids, right?  Nothing was cleaned up or postponed while he was there, right??   Yeah, I remember when Beth Polson from 60 Minutes came and did her piece on Straight - then the book - then the movie.  ALL bullshit.  ALL of it.

Yes, he lived at ASR and followed a peer group through 14 months and then wrote a book about it.  He won a pulitzer prize for another book.  I dont hink he would risk discrediting himself by taking money to hide the truth.  But you can believe this if you like, Anne.  There are many people who believe otherwise and I dont expect you to ever accept anything that would shake your present beliefs of the TTI.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 10:54:46 AM »

Yes, he lived at ASR and followed a peer group through 14 months and then wrote a book about it.

That is NOT the same thing as actually going thru the program and having your life depend on whether or not the 'staff' there is qualified, dislikes you for some reason etc. etc.  He observed, that's all.

He won a pulitzer prize for another book.  I dont hink he would risk discrediting himself by taking money to hide the truth.  But you can believe this if you like, Anne.  There are many people who believe otherwise and I dont expect you to ever accept anything that would shake your present beliefs of the TTI.

Because, unlike yourself, I've actually been INSIDE the TTI. You're nothing but a mere onlooker.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »

Yes, he lived at ASR and followed a peer group through 14 months and then wrote a book about it.

That is NOT the same thing as actually going thru the program and having your life depend on whether or not the 'staff' there is qualified, dislikes you for some reason etc. etc.  He observed, that's all.

He won a pulitzer prize for another book.  I dont hink he would risk discrediting himself by taking money to hide the truth.  But you can believe this if you like, Anne.  There are many people who believe otherwise and I dont expect you to ever accept anything that would shake your present beliefs of the TTI.

Because, unlike yourself, I've actually been INSIDE the TTI. You're nothing but a mere onlooker.

No he wasnt enrolled there Anne lol.  He is a grown man, he was a writer for the Washington post I believe at the time and approached ASR to support his latest project.  His previous book was on battered woman.  Yes he observed.  I find it hard to believe that anyone could believe that ASR cleaned up and held back for 14 months.  I dont even think you believe this.
But like I said earlier, if you dont want to believe it then dont.  Keep the information you have in your head and look the other way.  The rest of the world will get the same chance as you do to decide for themselves and I think that is the important thing.  I think we both can agree on this point.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 11:39:50 AM »
No he wasnt enrolled there Anne lol.  He is a grown man, he was a writer for the Washington post I believe at the time and approached ASR to support his latest project.  His previous book was on battered woman.  Yes he observed.  I find it hard to believe that anyone could believe that ASR cleaned up and held back for 14 months.  I dont even think you believe this.

He wasn't there every minute of every day, so yes....I do believe that they cleaned up their act while he was around.  Just like Straight did when Beth Polson was around "observing".

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »

He wasn't there every minute of every day, so yes....I do believe that they cleaned up their act while he was around.  Just like Straight did when Beth Polson was around "observing".

Then either you read the book and find out for yourself or just continue to believe what you want.  I am just presenting the facts.  Its your choice to reject it or accept it.  We all get to chose for ourselves.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 12:20:05 PM »
 I am just presenting the facts.

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 12:40:51 PM »

Whooter has no facts.  He claims that his daughter was at ASR when Marcus was there and also claims his daughter was there during 9/11 and left in 2002.  Only one can be true.  He lied about having a daughter in the first place then slipped up on the details of her "program experience" a few times.  He says she was in the program 14 months, but in other statements he says "16 months."  Only one can be true.  He says she graduated high school at ASR but later said she dropped out of HS when she got home.  Only one can be true.

He's just jerking everyone's chain with a looooong series of fabrications about his family and ASR.  It's all lies and it's obvious when you just scratch the surface.

I wouldn't put too much stock in anything he calls a "fact" or his "personal experience."  He's been busted out lying about both way too often to have any credibility.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"

Whooter has no facts.  He claims that his daughter was at ASR when Marcus was there and also claims his daughter was there during 9/11 and left in 2002.  Only one can be true.  He lied about having a daughter in the first place then slipped up on the details of her "program experience" a few times.  He says she was in the program 14 months, but in other statements he says "16 months."  Only one can be true.  He says she graduated high school at ASR but later said she dropped out of HS when she got home.  Only one can be true.

He's just jerking everyone's chain with a looooong series of fabrications about his family and ASR.  It's all lies and it's obvious when you just scratch the surface.

I wouldn't put too much stock in anything he calls a "fact" or his "personal experience."  He's been busted out lying about both way too often to have any credibility.

Frustration setting in?

Offline Gonzotherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »

Ha,Ha,Ha  Yup a "Pulitzer prized" author is going to sign a contract to lie in his book.  Hmmmm...

Are you saying that journalists never lie? If you believe that you are even more ignorant than you appear. And I guarantee that they made him sign a contract. Why would they take the chance of destroying their business? There is no way in hell they would have let him in without guaranteeing that he would not destroy their reputation. The only real footage that has ever been taken from a program is with hidden cameras, like the 20/20 episode on paradise cove.

Oh no she is from Utah, Red flag. I think you convinced all of us, great argument.  lol

Yes Utah is a huge red flag. How many programs have been shut down that were based in Utah? All of the WWASPS (which even you have admitted to be abusive) programs and sister companies are based out of Utah. Utah is the only state which has parent rights and not child rights. That means a Utah based program can hold a child against his will.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »
Quote from: "Gonzotherapy"

Are you saying that journalists never lie? If you believe that you are even more ignorant than you appear. And I guarantee that they made him sign a contract. Why would they take the chance of destroying their business? There is no way in hell they would have let him in without guaranteeing that he would not destroy their reputation. The only real footage that has ever been taken from a program is with hidden cameras, like the 20/20 episode on paradise cove.

Well, read up on the guy and decide for yourself.  Read the books on battered woman that he wrote, the investigations he has done.  Decide if he has integrity.  If you decide he doesn't have integrity then disregard the information.  That is what I do.

Yes Utah is a huge red flag. How many programs have been shut down that were based in Utah? All of the WWASPS (which even you have admitted to be abusive) programs and sister companies are based out of Utah. Utah is the only state which has parent rights and not child rights. That means a Utah based program can hold a child against his will.

lol but that doesnt mean everyone doing business in Utah is evil.  The research firm isnt a program, Gonzo, they do research.  The oversight committee were from Washington State.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 02:41:57 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"

It bears repeating.  This person is incredibly dishonest and has been proven so many times by his own statements.  His entire story is pure fiction and is therefore not relevant to anything or anyone.

-Arthur Schopenhauer