Author Topic: Independent Study Shows Success.  (Read 25589 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Independent Study Shows Success.
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2010, 12:58:52 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
The title to this thread is "Independent Study Shows Success".  A study of Aspen Ed bought and paid for by Aspen Ed isn't exactly independent.

Notice it was not conducted by Aspen.  It was independently done.  Aspen paid someone to conduct the study for them.  I pay people to do my taxes, fix my cars, shovel my sidewalk, perform annual physicals on me and my family, put on a new roof, add on an addition  etc.  They are independents, yes they get paid like everyone else does.  Who would put food on the researchers table if their clients did not pay them?

Why would you expect people to conduct research for free?  That it a very odd argument.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2010, 01:08:38 PM »
It was independently done. Aspen paid someone to conduct the study for them.

And there is the oxymoron. It can't be independent if the subject is also the customer.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2010, 01:23:07 PM »
Quote from: "RobertBruce"

And there is the oxymoron. It can't be independent if the subject is also the customer.

Say you hired an independent contractor to put an addition onto your home.  Is he going to work for free?  If not how is he going to get paid?

Say you hire and independent accountant to do your taxes.  Do they work for free?  If you pay him/her to do your taxes does that mean they are no longer independent?

Do you see what I mean?

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2010, 01:30:09 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

Say you hired an independent contractor to put an addition onto your home.  Is he going to work for free?  If not how is he going to get paid?

Say you hire and independent accountant to do your taxes.  Do they work for free?  If you pay him/her to do your taxes does that mean they are no longer independent?

Do you see what I mean?

Again.....apples and oranges.   The contractor isn't evaluating the homeowners work.  Aspen Ed hired someone to evaluate their work.  You are really bad at analogies.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »
Still having trouble with fruit John?

If I hire a contractor to build an addition onto my house or hire a accountant to do my taxes I'm hiring him to do a service for me, something that affects no one else. He's not evaluating my services to others.

If I pay someone to tell me I'm doing a good job at something then it sort of loses it's meaning. No different then when Buchi made major campaign contributions and was suddenly awared a commendation from the Georgia House. Both your crap study and Buchi's plaque were bought and paid for.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2010, 01:37:18 PM »

Again.....apples and oranges.   The contractor isn't evaluating the homeowners work.  Aspen Ed hired someone to evaluate their work.  You are really bad at analogies.

The accountant isnt performing studies on programs, the building contractor isnt doing the homeowners taxes and The research firm isnt putting on an addition.  They all provide different services but what they do have in common is they work independently,  this is a fact whether you want to believe it or not.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »

The accountant isnt performing studies on programs, the building contractor isnt doing the homeowners taxes and The research firm isnt putting on an addition.  They all provide different services but what they do have in common is they work independently,  this is a fact whether you want to believe it or not.

Maybe you missed this.......

Still having trouble with fruit John?

If I hire a contractor to build an addition onto my house or hire a accountant to do my taxes I'm hiring him to do a service for me, something that affects no one else. He's not evaluating my services to others.

If I pay someone to tell me I'm doing a good job at something then it sort of loses it's meaning. No different then when Buchi made major campaign contributions and was suddenly awared a commendation from the Georgia House. Both your crap study and Buchi's plaque were bought and paid for.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2010, 01:46:42 PM »

No, I didnt miss it, Anne, Bruce was directing that question to another poster, if John doesnt answer after a little while maybe I will jump in and give my two cents.  but out of courtesy  we should give the person Bruce is addressing a chance to respond.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »

No, I didnt miss it, Anne, Bruce was directing that question to another poster, if John doesnt answer after a little while maybe I will jump in and give my two cents.  but out of courtesy  we should give the person Bruce is addressing a chance to respond.

:roflmao:  :roflmao:

Still applies to you, whoever you are (and it is by belief that you are John).  If someone hires a firm to evaluate their own performance, it's not independent no matter how much you try and twist it.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2010, 02:08:20 PM »

:roflmao:  :roflmao:

Still applies to you, whoever you are (and it is by belief that you are John).  If someone hires a firm to evaluate their own performance, it's not independent no matter how much you try and twist it.

So if someone hires an independent contractor to work on their house than it is not independent either and since the accountant is getting paid then they cant be independent either etc. etc.  they all provide services, some evaluate performance, some build additions and some do tax work.  We are all free to believe what we want and if you dont want them to be independent then that is okay.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2010, 02:22:24 PM »
Still can't get around it can you?

Do you understand the difference between hiring someone to conduct an evaluation versus hiring someone to provide a service?

As for your name I'll always refer to you by whatever name you like, just keep in mind we already know who you are. Calling you something else won't change that.

You let me know what name you'd like to go by for now. Afterall, you've posted under so many it's hard to keep track.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2010, 02:37:14 PM »
Still can't get around it can you?

Do you understand the difference between hiring someone to conduct an evaluation versus hiring someone to provide a service?

As for your name I'll always refer to you by whatever name you like, just keep in mind we already know who you are. Calling you something else won't change that.

You let me know what name you'd like to go by for now. Afterall, you've posted under so many it's hard to keep track.

lol, Its fun to watch you lose an argument.  The insults start to spill out.  You can call me "Whooter" if you want a response.  If you want to speak with John, Peter, watchful Yeoman, then address the post accordingly.  It is not too complicated.

Listen up, Bruce.  The accountant doesnt put on additions at Aspen Ranch, the researcher doesnt do Aspens' Taxes, and the plumber doesnt rewire their community hall.  But they are all independent contractors, they dont report to Aspen, they report to themselves.  They get paid to provide a service by the recipient.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2010, 03:03:57 PM »
lol, Its fun to watch you lose an argument.

How would you know? You've never won one.

They get paid to provide a service by the recipient.

So you still don't understand the difference between providing a service, and conducting an evaluation? I thought you went to college?

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »
lol, Its fun to watch you lose an argument.

How would you know? You've never won one.

They get paid to provide a service by the recipient.

So you still don't understand the difference between providing a service, and conducting an evaluation? I thought you went to college?

Squiggy, I can see that you are having difficulty with this.  If you want to think the study was not independent than this is your right.  What is important is getting the information out to the readers so that they can decide for themselves.  I think we can all agree to this point.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2010, 03:14:55 PM »
Looks like Whootie is on the ropes, you always seem to bring out the name calling whenever you get desperate.

Obviously you're having trouble understanding the difference between services rendered, and evaluations conducted. This of course added to the fact that you have no idea what "independent study" even means.  I can tell this is going to take awhile. Let's start with something a little more simple for you. Are you familiar with the idea of product placement and corporate sponsorship?