Author Topic: an outsiders view  (Read 1439 times)

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
an outsiders view
« on: October 10, 2010, 03:17:28 PM »
I't seems to to me that of all the programs i've read about here,(and I've learned a lot) is that the people from Elan are something quite different from survivors from other programs. They will not hesitate to attack each other. But by the same token they also won't hesitate to defend each other.Nobody can get under their skin like another Elander(?) But yet there is almost an affection between them. Their shared hell has formed a bond not unlike family. Iv'e known families that constantly fight  with each other, but you don't
want to get caught a the middle of it. Though Iv'e never even known anyone from there,(that I know of) I'm trying to imagine the mind fuck it would take to forge that kind of bond. Even if it takes an outsider to see it, it's there
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
?©?€~¥@

Offline mark babitz

• View Profile
Re: an outsiders view
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
I't seems to to me that of all the programs i've read about here,(and I've learned a lot) is that the people from Elan are something quite different from survivors from other programs. They will not hesitate to attack each other. But by the same token they also won't hesitate to defend each other.Nobody can get under their skin like another Elander(?) But yet there is almost an affection between them. Their shared hell has formed a bond not unlike family. Iv'e known families that constantly fight  with each other, but you don't
want to get caught a the middle of it. Though Iv'e never even known anyone from there,(that I know of) I'm trying to imagine the mind fuck it would take to forge that kind of bond. Even if it takes an outsider to see it, it's there

Thats because we had to dance with the devil, at least as close as I want to get to him,AKA Joe Ricci,.We all shared some kind of horror together. From year to year, even the resident turned staff. Your didn't apply at Elan, no folks, Total promotion from within the ranks, So every staff member besides teachers went threw the program and kind of still did.They got to party and chase ass, but if they got pulled back in, God could only help them.Kind of a fucked up firing system. Elan was the one of the hardest mental challenges anyone could have. It did prepare you for life, not much gets past someone from Elan ,we have seen and heard it all, several times over, from the rich and poor.You put up a great post, "None-Ya" and thank you, we do stick together, and are fights are own. We were just  raised that way, LOL. But Elan did form an experiences in our minds, that only we from Elan really know. I wont say understand ,but do remember together. My time was mostly spent in Parsonsfild in  early 75 , Mc Cann at the helm,I did have all the fun at the main house for the fist part of my stay in Wonderful Poland Spring , Pan face Marty and Mr Gottlieb Eddy Freidman and the rest of the crew of mad people. It  was Elan in the roots and it was wide open for anything, believe it.

Thanks Again  " None -Ya"  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 11:34:10 PM »

Elan, was a community of (5) houses in 1975 then (6) in 1977, everything good or bad was done together. We were a tight family inside those individual houses and acted as such. Though some would say a very dysfunctional family but never the less a family. Elan 5's house theme song was, "Our House" (could be wrong on title of song) by Crosby, Stills and Nash. "Our house is a very very very fine house, with 2 cats in the yard.....life used to be so hard...ect...Life was pretty good while Ed Friedman was there.
Mark mentioned Joe's personality, which was very troubled to say the least. He was very charming at times, his presence could capture your attention quickly, he embodied confidence and intelligence, you wanted to be like him. He was someone to look up to at 16 yrs of age, not to much older, he was 28 at the time.
Then the other side of Joe would show up, the ruthless ego maniac that could not stand anyone in his way, the person who trusted no one, the black coal steely eyed demon you felt could snuff you out if you crossed him. This was the side that Marty Kruglick, Dave Elder, Peter McCann and Jeff Gotlieb seemed to pick up and use to their advantage, this dark personality made it OK for these four men to commit some very bazaar abuses.
So getting back to your perception of Elan, None-Ya, Elan made us very neurotic to say the least. We loved, hated, despised, trusted, liked, intimidated, abused, cared for, watched over, fought with and so many other emotions.
Yet, when you get right down to it, if you were to hurt Sharon, Mark, Felice, Matt. I would wade through a swamp filled with alligators to get my hands around your neck. Now they may not want to say the same thing I just said, that is fine. Maybe in there minds there is another variation of how it should be said. Maybe they don't feel the same way towards me, because I was staff or the fights we have had here and what has been said.
I do know this that in each of our bellies when we hear about another Elanian that has been hurt, we feel it too. Not unlike others here with their program kin folk.
For some of us that had dysfunctional families and lives, in a sick way Elan filled that void. Elan then went on to infest us with their disease/idea of family/community.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline mark babitz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 07:00:35 AM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"

Elan, was a community of (5) houses in 1975 then (6) in 1977, everything good or bad was done together. We were a tight family inside those individual houses and acted as such. Though some would say a very dysfunctional family but never the less a family. Elan 5's house theme song was, "Our House" (could be wrong on title of song) by Crosby, Stills and Nash. "Our house is a very very very fine house, with 2 cats in the yard.....life used to be so hard...ect...Life was pretty good while Ed Friedman was there.
Mark mentioned Joe's personality, which was very troubled to say the least. He was very charming at times, his presence could capture your attention quickly, he embodied confidence and intelligence, you wanted to be like him. He was someone to look up to at 16 yrs of age, not to much older, he was 28 at the time.
Then the other side of Joe would show up, the ruthless ego maniac that could not stand anyone in his way, the person who trusted no one, the black coal steely eyed demon you felt could snuff you out if you crossed him. This was the side that Marty Kruglick, Dave Elder, Peter McCann and Jeff Gotlieb seemed to pick up and use to their advantage, this dark personality made it OK for these four men to commit some very bazaar abuses.
So getting back to your perception of Elan, None-Ya, Elan made us very neurotic to say the least. We loved, hated, despised, trusted, liked, intimidated, abused, cared for, watched over, fought with and so many other emotions.
Yet, when you get right down to it, if you were to hurt Sharon, Mark, Felice, Matt. I would wade through a swamp filled with alligators to get my hands around your neck. Now they may not want to say the same thing I just said, that is fine. Maybe in there minds there is another variation of how it should be said. Maybe they don't feel the same way towards me, because I was staff or the fights we have had here and what has been said.
I do know this that in each of our bellies when we hear about another Elanian that has been hurt, we feel it too. Not unlike others here with their program kin folk.
For some of us that had dysfunctional families and lives, in a sick way Elan filled that void. Elan then went on to infest us with their disease/idea of family/community.

"Danny" said it the way it is and was, We do stick together no matter how far apart we seem from time to time,our bond is always intact. I would jump in the swamp with you Danny, Great post Brother,.

Mark Babitz. :rocker:  :rocker:  :rocker: