Author Topic: Why is the GOP so scared of gay people?  (Read 12839 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Why is the GOP so scared of gay people?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 12:54:49 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"
Hmm...I'll be devil's advocate:

Let's face it -- in the political arena, money is power.. thank God someone with bank funded something sensible for a change!!

Ok...you go.
:D
Funding and manipulating a rabid mob for one's own political and financial gain ... is exactly how the Nazis manipulated the discontent and financial ruin of the Germans in the aftermath of World War I. I think we all know how that turned out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"
Hmm...I'll be devil's advocate:

Let's face it -- in the political arena, money is power.. thank God someone with bank funded something sensible for a change!!

Ok...you go.
:D

TeaBaggers and the word sensible don't belong in the same sentence.

You're it!  ;D
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 01:16:28 PM »
There were some earlier Tea Party rallies which came out against George W. bush

Link

More recently, the anniversary of the original Boston Tea Party was commemorated by Republican Congressman Ron Paul supporters who held a fund raising event for the 2008 presidential primaries advocating an end to fiat money and the Federal Reserve System, disengaging from foreign entanglements in Iraq and Afghanistan, and upholding States' rights.

Early local protest events

On January 24, 2009, Trevor Leach, chairman of the Young Americans for Liberty in New York State organized a "Tea Party" protest in response to "obesity taxes", over 100 other taxes proposed by New York Governor David Paterson, and out of control spending. Several of the protesters wore Native American headdresses similar to the band of 18th century colonists who dumped tea in Boston Harbor to express outrage about British taxes.[28]

Some of the protests were partially in response to several Federal laws: the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008,[29] the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009,[30][31] and a series of healthcare reform bills.[32]

New York Times journalist Kate Zernike reported that leaders within the Tea Party credit Seattle blogger and conservative activist Keli Carender with organizing the first Tea Party in February 2009, although the term "Tea Party" was not used.[33] Other articles, written by Chris Good of The Atlantic[34] and NPR’s Martin Kaste,[35] credit Carender as, "one of the first" Tea Party organizers and state that she "organized some of the earliest Tea Party-style protests."

Carender first organized what she called a "Porkulus Protest" in Seattle on Presidents Day, February 16, the day before President Barack Obama signed the stimulus bill into law.[36] Carender said she did it without support from outside groups or city officials. "I just got fed up and planned it." Carender said 120 people participated. "Which is amazing for the bluest of blue cities I live in, and on only four days notice! This was due to me spending the entire four days calling and emailing every person, think tank, policy center, university professors (that were sympathetic), etc. in town, and not stopping until the day came."[37][38]

Carender also contacted conservative author and Fox News contributor Michelle Malkin, and asked her to publicize the rally on her blog.[37] Carender then held a second protest on February 27, 2009, reporting "We more than doubled our attendance at this one."[33] On Tax Day, six weeks later, 1,200 people gathered for a Tea Party protest.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 01:34:22 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
There were some earlier Tea Party rallies which came out against George W. bush

Link

More recently, the anniversary of the original Boston Tea Party was commemorated by Republican Congressman Ron Paul supporters who held a fund raising event for the 2008 presidential primaries advocating an end to fiat money and the Federal Reserve System, disengaging from foreign entanglements in Iraq and Afghanistan, and upholding States' rights.

^^^^^^^^^This was before it was co-opted by the Koch brothers and actually DID involve protestation of taxes.

Below, is when it went nuts and became all about "git dem dirty Dems" & "git dat darky soshulist outta the WHITE house"

Early local protest events

On January 24, 2009, Trevor Leach, chairman of the Young Americans for Liberty in New York State organized a "Tea Party" protest in response to "obesity taxes", over 100 other taxes proposed by New York Governor David Paterson, and out of control spending. Several of the protesters wore Native American headdresses similar to the band of 18th century colonists who dumped tea in Boston Harbor to express outrage about British taxes.[28]

Some of the protests were partially in response to several Federal laws: the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008,[29] the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009,[30][31] and a series of healthcare reform bills.[32]

New York Times journalist Kate Zernike reported that leaders within the Tea Party credit Seattle blogger and conservative activist Keli Carender with organizing the first Tea Party in February 2009, although the term "Tea Party" was not used.[33] Other articles, written by Chris Good of The Atlantic[34] and NPR’s Martin Kaste,[35] credit Carender as, "one of the first" Tea Party organizers and state that she "organized some of the earliest Tea Party-style protests."

Carender first organized what she called a "Porkulus Protest" in Seattle on Presidents Day, February 16, the day before President Barack Obama signed the stimulus bill into law.[36] Carender said she did it without support from outside groups or city officials. "I just got fed up and planned it." Carender said 120 people participated. "Which is amazing for the bluest of blue cities I live in, and on only four days notice! This was due to me spending the entire four days calling and emailing every person, think tank, policy center, university professors (that were sympathetic), etc. in town, and not stopping until the day came."[37][38]

Carender also contacted conservative author and Fox News contributor Michelle Malkin, and asked her to publicize the rally on her blog.[37] Carender then held a second protest on February 27, 2009, reporting "We more than doubled our attendance at this one."[33] On Tax Day, six weeks later, 1,200 people gathered for a Tea Party protest.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 01:50:16 PM »
Everything evolves over time.  Some in a good direction some in a bad but its good to see people getting involved from the grass roots level.  Anything that grows in popularity is going to get the interest of the wealthy eventually.

I hope they can keep it going and push for change.

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »
Teabaggers are Astroturfed by the Koch brothers and Dick Armey.  There's no grassroots there anywhere.
"Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 02:06:56 PM »
And here I thought Teabaggers were led by Bret Michaels contestants on Rock of Love.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 02:19:58 PM »
Question for anyone:
What is the best 3rd party going right now?

(Then maybe we can get back on the topic of the GOP being so scared of gay people?)

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 02:34:28 PM »
There is no viable third party. We are locked into a two party system.  Which means nothing gets done except mudslinging. I guess an independent could be viable in a climate were people are sick and tired of the alternative... I don't know if libertarianism is as viable as some would claim though.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 02:42:24 PM »
Quote from: "Samara"
There is no viable third party. We are locked into a two party system.  Which means nothing gets done except mudslinging. I guess an independent could be viable in a climate were people are sick and tired of the alternative... I don't know if libertarianism is as viable as some would claim though.

Well, f the gov't then...I'm sick of it all!

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 02:46:59 PM »
OK. So as bad as government is, what would happen with NO oversight at all? I mean, it would NOT be a Utopia. In fact, the would be no infrastructure, clean air, clean water, etc. Corporations would be more powerful than ever. If you are comfortable with annihilation, I guess that is one direction to go toward.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »
OK. So as bad as government is, what would happen with NO oversight at all? I mean, it would NOT be a Utopia. In fact, the would be no infrastructure, clean air, clean water, etc. Corporations would be more powerful than ever. If you are comfortable with annihilation, I guess that is one direction to go toward.

Fuck the economy, the dollar, the federal govt, airplanes (and the TSA bs), but most of all -- fuck the IRS and FUCK WALL ST!!

Bartering will come back into play...difficult to tax transactions like that..  

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 04:45:16 PM by Froderik »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2010, 02:57:53 PM »
OK. So as bad as government is, what would happen with NO oversight at all?

Somalia

I mean, it would NOT be a Utopia. In fact, the would be no infrastructure, clean air, clean water, etc. Corporations would be more powerful than ever. If you are comfortable with annihilation, I guess that is one direction to go toward.

:tup:

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »
What about people who are anti-government but also have no problem being supported by it?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2010, 03:22:35 PM »
What about people who are anti-government but also have no problem being supported by it?

Rock and a hard place.