Author Topic: ASR Alumni Interview  (Read 14851 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
ASR Alumni Interview
« on: November 30, 2010, 11:23:35 AM »
Editor's Note: Ashley graduated from ASR February 17, 2006. She worked full time at Costco for the first year following graduation while exploring college options and considering what she wanted to do. Subsequently she entered the University of Vermont, where she is currently finishing her second year. Ashley is in the Business School, majoring in accounting, and plans to obtain her CPA. While working toward that, she is staying very busy. She still works part-time at Costco and holds another part-time position at The UPS Store. In addition, she has a weekly house-cleaning job that brings in some extra cash.

Our thanks to Ashley for agreeing to add an interview with us to her super-busy schedule, and to Lisa Hunt, Admissions Counselor, who conducted the interview.

What were some of the thoughts you had about being sent to ASR?
Well, when my mom first told me that she wanted me to leave St. Albans (my hometown) and go to a school in Massachusetts, of course, I thought she was crazy! I did not want to leave my friends, school, everything that I was doing. After some thought, I figured I would try something new. I had checked the internet about this "Swift River" school. The brother of one of my friends had been sent to a school like Swift River and she said you could do what you wanted, schedule your own appointments, etc. So after all that, I agreed. I was excited to try something new—but little did I know!
What did you think it was going to be like?
Since my friend had said that you could pretty much do whatever you want, that's what I thought I could do. I thought that it would be a normal high school but with a little therapy.

What were some of things that you did to prepare to come?
I'm not sure if I did anything to prepare. By this time, I had left my high school and was waiting for the day to come to go to this "school."

How did your perceptions change once you got here?
My perceptions of the school changed probably within the first half-hour of being there. Someone had greeted us at the car and already told me I could not have any of my belongings except for the clothes I was wearing. They said the nail polish and makeup could go right back home. After that I was brought into a building and told to change into some wilderness-style clothes, and then I was put into a back of a gator and went for a ride into the woods. I would say I had an extremely negative attitude and was not open to listening to anyone at this point.

Can you tell a story of a situation that resulted in positive growth for you? Even if you didn't see it at the time?
My situation occurred while I was 13 months into my program and about to leave for Costa Rica and graduate three months later. I went on my last home visit first, and relapsed. I woke up in the hospital and started to freak out because I knew I had messed up my life now. Why would my mom think that I was going to change or had changed if I came home near the end of my program and got alcohol poisoning? It was an uncomfortable situation for my family and for me. I was disappointed in myself and I knew it was going to be a lot of work to get back on track. My mom and I had a huge dispute about returning to ASR. She said I was not going back and she never wanted to see me again, and I was begging her to please let me go back to ASR. I knew being around her wasn't going to get any better and ASR would help me work through my mistakes. Finally she brought me back. Since I had relapsed, I was not allowed to go to Costa Rica with my peer group, which really upset me; but it was probably a good thing it happened. Even though I relapsed and paid the consequences, it was a positive growth event for me in that it made me realize what is important in life and how my decisions affect everyone around me.

What was your favorite academic class? Why?
I would say that my favorite classes at ASR were the two college classes that I took. A teacher from a local community college came to ASR and taught about 10 of us. It was a great experience because even though we were in such a small high school, I was still able to take some high level classes.

Was there anything that you dreaded? Why?
I would say that I dreaded group sessions. I mean ,who likes to be confronted in front of 25 people about your issues? Not me! But that's how it works and that's what we had to work through. Eventually I realized that not everyone was out to get me but to actually help me.

What traces of ASR are in your daily life now?
I would say that my life is consumed with traces of ASR. Every choice I make is surrounded by pieces of ASR. I don't even know how to explain it. I have learned to slow down my thoughts and realize whether it is going to be a good or bad decision. I don't jump right into things anymore; I think about what consequences could come out of it. My life is definitely more thought through... I guess that's the best I can explain it!

What was the transition out of ASR like?
Well, being on that stage on February 17, 2006, was unbelievable. I was looking at everyone, reminiscing about when I had first come to this school and could never have imagined myself on that stage. It was a great feeling to know everything that I had accomplished. Walking out to my mom's car felt great also. I was excited to prove to my mom that I had changed and was a "new and improved" Ashley. I don't think that transitioning was very hard at all. All the friends who had brought me down had left St. Albans. My hometown high school classmates were finishing up their senior year and applying to colleges. I was excited to start life and live it to the fullest.

How do you apply the things that you learned?
Like I mentioned earlier, I use all the information I learned at ASR in my thoughts and actions. I am more cautious about what I do and how it will affect people.

What do you miss about the ASR Environment?
I'm not sure if I miss anything about ASR (having eyes on you all the time, attendance everywhere you go, structured schedule) except for the people I met. Friends, staff and teachers were definitely that best part of the school. You form bonds with people that you didn't know were possible. It's a good feeling to know that everyone cares about you and wants to help and support you. Friendships are unexplainable. I met kids from age 14-19 who all came from basically the same situations and were put together and trying to figure out what went wrong. It was definitely an experience!!!!!!!!

What are you happy to have left behind?
I am happy to leave behind anger, screaming, pain, dishonestly, dishonor.... anything that caused pain to my family and friends. I look back and am embarrassed at how I acted and treated people. I realize that my actions affected other people and do not enjoy knowing that I hurt many people in the past, but most of all I hurt myself.

Can you think of one or more things about yourself that have changed that you may attribute to ASR?
Yeah, my whole attitude towards life. Now I look forward to every day knowing that I will make the right choices.

The general mission of ASR is to get students 'back on track' with 'new beginnings.' Does your experience relate to this mission? Do you think that you were off track? Are you on track now?
This is a great mission statement and it completely reflects ASR! Basically I was stripped down to the necessities of life and told that I didn't need all that extra in my life. Life is about simplicity and being happy with yourself. I was certainly off track and was brought back on track with all the help from the Academy. I am grateful for all that help.

What else would you like the school to know, or prospective students to know?
I would like to say that IT IS A HARD AND SCARY ROAD but in the end, you will be a better person and enjoy life to the fullest if you actually WANT to change and make the difference in your life. It's all about you... you make the difference!!

Link

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: ASR Alumni Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:32:58 AM »
Hmmmmm, I would imagine that there are other Alum Interviews.  Why not post them all instead of cherry picking?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 11:56:48 AM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Hmmmmm, I would imagine that there are other Alum Interviews.  Why not post them all instead of cherry picking?

Most businesses go through them all and pick the best one or two and present them.  The negative ones would never be posted we all know that plus the good ones help with their marketing.  Any negative interviews would not help too much.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 12:18:31 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

Most businesses go through them all and pick the best one or two and present them.  The negative ones would never be posted we all know that plus the good ones help with their marketing.  Any negative interviews would not help too much.

Which proves my theory of why you're here.....to do marketing, not to tell the truth about what really goes on.  This isn't an advertisement for the TTI.....it's a message board for those who've been abused by the TTI.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:21:14 PM »

Which proves my theory of why you're here.....to do marketing, not to tell the truth about what really goes on.  This isn't an advertisement for the TTI.....it's a message board for those who've been abused by the TTI.

I am not the one doing the marketing, ASR is, lol.  That is a very strange post Anne.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:33:10 PM »
Too bad for Ashley. A few years is really not enough time to fully realize what just happened to you. Chances are, a couple of years down the line, when more of the koolaid has evaporated, she might not think of her time at ASR in quite such glowing terms. And yet, here is this "legacy" she has left...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »
I am not the one doing the marketing, ASR is.

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Uh huh, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »
Ask her in a few years.
It took me years to be able to disavow my CEDU brainwashing. I could not face up to it, but I always felt sick inside. I knew there was a disconnect from my outward acceptance of it to the reality. I have spoken to so many people from CEDU and other programs who felt the same way. It is hard to go through the emotional trauma of a program only to reject it later. You want so badly to believe there was some good born out of this intensive, intrusive experience. When reality hits, it hits cold and hard.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 02:36:25 PM »
Exactly.  How many times have many of us said that for a long time after getting out we actually believed what they had drilled into our heads - to our detriment.    Sometimes it really does take quite a while for the brainwashing to wear off.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 03:03:55 PM »
Exactly.  How many times have many of us said that for a long time after getting out we actually believed what they had drilled into our heads - to our detriment.    Sometimes it really does take quite a while for the brainwashing to wear off.

At least she will have a college degree, good work ethic strong family ties, maybe married with kids when the koolaid wears off!  lol

My daughter still feels the same way after all these years 7 I think.  So the koolaid is not such a bad thing?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 03:10:05 PM »
You have said previously that your make-believe kid was at ASR in 2001.  That was 9 years ago.  You have also said your ficticious kid was at ASR for 14 months and another time 16 months.  Not very convincing at all.

FWIW, this "interview" looks phony, too.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 03:13:23 PM »
Quote from: "Troll Control"
You have said previously that your make-believe kid was at ASR in 2001.  That was 9 years ago.  You have also said your ficticious kid was at ASR for 14 months and another time 16 months.  Not very convincing at all.

Yes, she was there in 2001 because I remember she was there for 9/11.  So she got out in 2002 so that is 8 years ago, wow time does fly by.

FWIW, this "interview" looks phony, too.

I provided a link.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »
Yeah, and you also said she was there when Dave Marcus was there.  That wasn't until after 2002.  Your entire made-up story is shot through with holes, man.

Too many made up stories about too many made up kids to keep 'em straight I guess.

I fabricated a son

Yes, you sure did. And a daughter, too. And a whole "story" to go along with it.  And...Well, nevermind.  You made pretty much everything up out of thin air.  People are tired of your threadbare stories and lies.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 03:58:58 PM »
Quote from: "Troll Control"
Yeah, and you also said she was there when Dave Marcus was there.  That wasn't until after 2002.  Your entire made-up story is shot through with holes, man.

Too many made up stories about too many made up kids to keep 'em straight I guess.

I fabricated a son

Yes, you sure did. And a daughter, too. And a whole "story" to go along with it.  And...Well, nevermind.  You made pretty much everything up out of thin air.  People are tired of your threadbare stories and lies.

Sorry you are so upset with this thread troll control.  Bring on the personal attacks, I can take it!   When you have nothing else attack the messenger. lol

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Fabricated ASR Alumni Interview
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 08:58:39 AM »
The point is the "the message" is phony and so is "the messenger."  You have your stories all screwed up.  You made up a son, made up a daughter, made up program experiences, made up the dates, made up the "Dave Marcus" timeline and can't keep all your lies straight anymore.  It's not "attacking the messenger."  It's "pointing out a liar with an agenda."

The bottom line is your entire "personal program story" is fabricated.  It doesn't make me upset, nor do I suspect it angers anyone else.  It only makes you mad that you have been caught lying about everything and have been outed.  You were dragged out of the shadows and when your name was put on all of your posts, you were exposed as a complete liar and charlatan.  That's all I'm saying.  If you don't like it when people point out your fabrications, you ought not to fabricate everything.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control