Author Topic: ASR Alumni Interview  (Read 15041 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Re: ASR Alumni Interview
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 02:11:13 PM »
Quote from: "The gatekeeper"
 It isn't that hard to spend time with their child, go to a child's sporting event, be fair / consistent with rules in their home, ensure their child is doing home work, inquire how their child is doing in school etc.  These schools are really a baby sitting money venture.

Actually, I think that for some people it's pretty near impossible and for others pretty near automatic.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »
Quote from: "Antigen"
Quote from: "Whooter"
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Hmmmmm, I would imagine that there are other Alum Interviews.  Why not post them all instead of cherry picking?

Most businesses go through them all and pick the best one or two and present them.  The negative ones would never be posted we all know that plus the good ones help with their marketing.  Any negative interviews would not help too much.

So, in other words this is blatant advertising taken right from a marketing website? Yup! Shaw `nuff!
http://www.swiftriver.com/enews/v11issue1/alumni.html

What do ya'll think? Should I ax the entire thread or is there any useful, relevant conversation going on further down the page?

I'd say leave it, it can be referenced whenever we need proof of Whooters foolishness.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »
Geesh, put the torches down, go home and have a beer or a Blunt.  A little interview from a survivor that doesnt fit the fornits mold isnt going to hurt anyone.  I dont think a post or two will change peoples thinking here enough to lose any followers.  Pull some old abuse stories out from the straight archives, hold your hands over your eyes and ears and keep saying to yourselves:

"All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad"

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 04:18:08 PM »
It isn't that hard to spend time with their child, go to a child's sporting event, be fair / consistent with rules in their home, ensure their child is doing home work, inquire how their child is doing in school etc.  These schools are really a baby sitting money venture.

I disagree here.  The kids come from all types of parenting types.  Some have parents who both work others from families where the mother stayed home.  One parent was very strict with their children while another allowed their child to come and go all hours of the day or night.  Many of the kids had siblings who were doing fine and moving on with their lives so there is not any common thread which points to a lack of parenting skills or something the parents missed that caused the child to become at-risk.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 05:23:03 PM »
One family was very strict with their children while another allowed their child to come and go all hours of the day or night.

Who fault is that, Whooter?   Common logic dictates  parents should be consistent when they uphold the rules but but you know that.  The parents acting (in your example) like incompetent turds created a mess.  They should man up, not spend $5,000 monthly for strangers to clean up their mess.  

Whoops, I agree with you consistency is key, I meant to say one set of parents (one family).

Common logic dictates parents are %100 responsible for supervising their child.  The should employ someone to do it or another family person.  

Parents are responsible for raising their children.  But some households have both parents who work outside the home.  I agree that the ideal would be to have one parent home all the time but times have changed.  I dont think there is a common thread that points to parenting (or a specific parenting style) as the cause for having an at-risk child.

We   :D  can conclude the chances of you understanding/accepting the aforesaid would be comparable to some persons chances of grabbing hold of a lubed up watermelon in a swimming pool.  

lol, my use of analogies is becoming contagious.  I like that one!  Very visual.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 06:46:49 PM »
Geesh, put the torches down, go home and have a beer or a Blunt.  A little interview from a survivor that doesnt fit the fornits mold isnt going to hurt anyone.  I dont think a post or two will change peoples thinking here enough to lose any followers.  Pull some old abuse stories out from the straight archives, hold your hands over your eyes and ears and keep saying to yourselves:

"All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad", "All Programs are Bad"

Do you have an interview from any of the dead kids? Oh yeah, they're dead. Sorry, never mind.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 08:12:38 PM »
Parents are responsible for raising their children. But some households have both parents who work outside the home. I agree that the ideal would be to have one parent home all the time but times have changed. I dont think there is a common thread that points to parenting (or a specific parenting style) as the cause for having an at-risk child.

Who cares if there isn't a thread that supports parenting as the cause for having an at risk child.  Go stove pipe someone else with your ill founded reasoning.    But since were discussing that, look yourself in the mirror tonight and ask yourself, "Is my parenting style responsible for my daughter being an at risk teen?"   It is time for a reality check, Whooter.  If you do have a child, man up and speak to her about what went on behind closed doors.

I wasnt asking for a thread of any kind.  I was pointing out that the common denominator of kids at risk is not linked to any one parenting style or lack of parenting.  
Anne Bonney had/has an at-risk teen.  She spent time with her children and I dont point to her parenting style for what resulted in her having a teen at risk.  If a parent has 3 kids and they are all raised the same and one of them adopts an at-risk life style the common thread is not the parenting.

Think about it,Gatekeeper.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 09:06:44 AM »
Geesh, put the torches down, go home and have a beer or a Blunt.  A little interview from a survivor that doesnt fit the fornits mold isnt going to hurt anyone.

No, but when it's pulled directly from an Aspen marketing site it kinda loses credibility.

We haven't said that.   YOU'VE said that we've said that.  We've said that programs that use the LGAT-type methods are bad.  We've said that programs that isolate kids from the rest of the world are bad.  We've said a lot about certain types of programs  but I don't recall anyone saying that no kid ever needed help or that every single program offered out there is bad.  The programs that you seem to advocate are bad (Aspen Ed, LGAT-style, wilderness 'therapy' that literally hike kids to death etc.).
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 09:15:04 AM »
Anne Bonney had/has an at-risk teen.  She spent time with her children and I dont point to her parenting style for what resulted in her having a teen at risk.

Well, I will. It wasn't all me, but I was heavily influenced by Straight and got pregnant shortly after graduating.  The Straight influence couldn't help but have creeped into my parenting at least a little.  I've even talked about it here before.  And apologized profusely to my kids for it.  Unfortunately, they still have to deal with their father who, depending on if he's gotten himself in trouble again, uses Straight-thinking/AA thinking as a battering ram at them.

If a parent has 3 kids and they are all raised the same and one of them adopts an at-risk life style the common thread is not the parenting.

Not necessarily.  Maybe two of the kids fit into what the parents ideal is for them but the third wants to do something that differs from what the parents want.  That kid could very well end up in a program simply because he doesn't react like a carbon copy of the parents and the other two kids do.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2010, 10:14:03 AM »
Geesh, put the torches down, go home and have a beer or a Blunt.  A little interview from a survivor that doesnt fit the fornits mold isnt going to hurt anyone.

No, but when it's pulled directly from an Aspen marketing site it kinda loses credibility.

It doesnt lose credibility with anyone but you.  The child doing the interview was probably not aware that her story would be used for marketing purposes.  Programs interview a lot of kids after they leave the program.  My daughter was interviewed by SUWS over the phone after she left ASR.  Most businesses try to reach out and get a feel from their customers on how they are doing and to get a level of the water so to speak.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2010, 10:34:26 AM »

It doesnt lose credibility with anyone but you.  The child doing the interview was probably not aware that her story would be used for marketing purposes.  Programs interview a lot of kids after they leave the program.  My daughter was interviewed by SUWS over the phone after she left ASR.  Most businesses try to reach out and get a feel from their customers on how they are doing and to get a level of the water so to speak.

Mmm hmmm......and you've heard how many of us were gung-ho supporters of our programs for a time after getting out.  Then when we realized that what we were taught did not match with reality, we woke up.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2010, 10:48:43 AM »

Mmm hmmm......and you've heard how many of us were gung-ho supporters of our programs for a time after getting out.  Then when we realized that what we were taught did not match with reality, we woke up.

Anne, I do understand your need to discredit this feedback from a fellow survivor.  It seems your rule is any negative stories of programs are credible from day one but any positive stories are rejected out of hand until the person has been out of a program for 20 years or more.  This rule allows you to reject anything positive and keep your mind closed to new information.

The rest of the world does not follow your rules which is fortunate for them.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2010, 11:02:38 AM »

Anne, I do understand your need to discredit this feedback from a fellow survivor.  It seems your rule is any negative stories of programs are credible from day one but any positive stories are rejected out of hand until the person has been out of a program for 20 years or more.  This rule allows you to reject anything positive and keep your mind closed to new information.

The rest of the world does not follow your rules which is fortunate for them.

This wasn't some random story.....it was lifted directly from the Aspen site.  You don't see just a little bit of bias in that???

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2010, 11:20:57 AM »
This wasn't some random story.....it was lifted directly from the Aspen site.  You don't see just a little bit of bias in that???

Of course it is biased, Anne.  They probably have feed back which isnt so good or a kid telling them to F### off.  But they are not going to post that.  The general public knows that they are posting only the most flattering interviews.  All businesses do this and hospitals too.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2010, 11:40:06 AM »

Of course it is biased, Anne.  They probably have feed back which isnt so good or a kid telling them to F### off.  But they are not going to post that.  The general public knows that they are posting only the most flattering interviews.  All businesses do this and hospitals too.

Yes, but you posted the thread without that caveat.  You posted it like it was just some random person praising the program.