Author Topic: the movie  (Read 2079 times)

dragonfly

the movie
« on: November 22, 2010, 09:18:02 AM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

dragonfly

Re: the movie
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:23:55 AM »

Offline Shadyacres

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »
Does anyone else feel like they could give ten more interviews and still barely scratch the surface?  The whole way home and all day sunday I was thinking of parts that I forgot to go into, there is just SO MUCH that was wrong with that place.  I'm on Facebook, what did you have in mind?  "Viewing this movie may bring up bad memories long forgotten", or something like that?

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »
@dragonfly
I'll post something on facebook.  We'll definitely make something happen, have a hotline, website, as much as we can put in place, a warning before viewing the movie etc. Let's just keep brainstorming, I'll definitely make sure this is on the top of the list of things to do in the short term!

@shady
nice meeting you yesterday and yes I agree. Although I Think between all the interviews we're getting a lot info.  One person might not mention something, but the next one does.  Granted I don't think we'll ever get it all, as you said, but we're definitely on the right track.
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 01:19:30 PM »
I posted on a couple active threads on facebook to get some people thinking about it.  I mentioned too I also planning on setting up a private discussion board for survivors only, that's linked off the movie site. We'll have a public one too of course, but I think it would be great to offer survivors a place to talk online, that is 100% private.

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »
I think we have 2 routes we could go.

1. 800 number, but this can get pricey 3-4 cents a minute. However if we go this route, we could get the person on the line, get their info and then call back on a land line or cell phone  to save costs.

2. Just do a regular number through Skype, which is $2 a month and can be forwarded to any number at any time.  Meaning whoever is on call the skype number can be forwarded to their home number or cell number, or they could actually use Skype as well.  Then wherever we advertise the number, we just include that we will accept collect calls.  I think ultimately that would be the less expensive route, while allowing anyone to call, even if they don't have access to call long distance.

Thoughts?
Kelly

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
IMO Existing resources available via the Internet will provide a sufficient medium through which survivors experiencing "just saw this movie" whiplashes will be able to find help, comfort, reassurance, healing, validation and whatever else may come their way during this... as we know it to be, a most stressful time. I believe that the hotline route will only complicate matters and may actually limit, to some degree or another, that response. If it aint broke, don't fix it comes to mind too. I mean, folks have done OK to this point, and a simple link at the end of the movie seems like the best idea. Once they are there, they will have the most widely available support they could ever imagine.

As far as disclaimers go, simply marketing the film by its name alone will be enough stimulation to set off most former clients' memories...

:peace:  
RG

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 06:52:16 PM »
Sorry to say but I totally disagree Bill. I think a hot-line is a necessity.  Just because it didn't work in one situation doesn't mean it won't in another. I'd rather do TOO much than not enough.   If someone watches it they might not be a person that does the "online" thing.  I believe "something for everyone" is a far better way to go.  Seeing that I would be somewhat responsible if someone did kill themselves after seeing this film, I couldn't live with that, so I definitely think it's a must. Even if just one person calls, it's worth it. Not to mention we'd be able to put them in touch with someone who can "really" help them, if that's what they want.

Definitely something I'd like to do, I think it's extremely important and I have seen other documentaries that do the same thing.   It's not a matter of if we are going to do it but how, in my opinion. I think dragonfly is definitely right on this one.  Imagine someone watches the movie and hears a story being told about THEM. And suddenly a memory that they had repressed for 25 years come back because of hearing about it. What we should just hope they get online and find help? No way.

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 10:50:01 PM »
The straight inc can of worms is a big one, albeit a dangerous one. The last hotline that was made available to survivors was discontinued with prejudice by the doctors who volunteered their services. Survivors are cut from a different kind of cloth and I think it's SO different that even the doctors couldn't deal with it. But anyway, good luck with that idea. Keep in mind that the number would have to be available for a long time after the movie is released. You should say in the opening sequence that watching this movie may cause thoughts of suicide and/or PTSD in former straight inc clients and that there is a large number of SURVIVORS out there willing to help them. Also, I suggest to put up a number/website combo throughout the whole show. It would be nice to be able to be wherever anyone was who hadn't thought about this shit since their time and bought a ticket to the show, but that's just not possible. Gotta hope for the best.

Not that you need it, but I'll second your (webdiva) motion on a 24/7 chat line option, since that would be free and relatively anonymous if so desired. It also proved very effective in at least one of my "come down off the bridge" efforts some years ago. Personal contact is usually best, I know, I just think that you have to be very careful when putting so many sleeping psyches on the chopping block. Hell, wait till the AWAKE ones see it... you might need a whole team of operators.
 :cheers:

dragonfly

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 10:46:03 AM »