Author Topic: Recent Death of girl at the hands of Sunrise Academy  (Read 13957 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Gracie James, R.I.P.
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 04:09:13 PM »
Switching back to the present, here's the obituary for the second girl from Sunrise Academy that died as a result of that car accident in Utah, and which ran in the Boston Herald two weeks ago:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Gracie JAMES

JAMES Gracie, beloved daughter of Chris Bobel, James Lundy and Thomas Hartl, all of Arlington, Massachusetts, died on October 20, 2010 of injuries sustained in a car accident in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah three days earlier. She had just turned 17 years old. Gracie Christine James was born on September 29, 1993 in Whitewater, Wisconsin where she lived until moving to New Orleans just before her fourth birthday. After her father and mother separated in 1998, Chris and Gracie moved to Cincinnati, Ohio where they lived until relocating to Arlington, Massachusetts with Thomas in 2001. Gracie’s father, James, moved to Arlington in 2006. Until this fall, Gracie had been a student at Arlington High School. In mid-August, Gracie began attending a boarding school in Hurricane, Utah. On the morning of Sunday, October 20th, Gracie and fifteen other girls and school staff were enroute to a full day excursion in Arches Natural Park when the staff driver of their SUV lost control and the vehicle rolled over outside of Sevier, Utah. Found in a coma by rescue personnel, Gracie never regained consciousness. She died quietly on the evening of October 20 in the trauma unit of Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, in the loving embrace of her three parents. At her parents’ request, on the evening of her death, individuals and small groups across the country and as far as Germany lit candles, listened to and sang Gracie’s favorite music and observed shared moments of reflective silence. Gracie was an unusually creative, intuitive, affectionate and sensitive young woman with a shy smile, beautiful eyes and a deep, feeling soul. She was an accomplished figure skater, an avid reader and a budding artist who created evocative and vibrant abstract works in soft pastels. But her main passion was writing. A brilliant and imaginative writer of both short and longer fiction and poetry, she aspired to a career in professional writing. Gracie’s gifts for caring, compassion and emotional connection touched everyone she met as shown by the outpouring of grief and support expressed by her peers at both her current and former schools. The day after her death, grieving students at Arlington High School wore green, symbolizing peace and honoring her memory. In addition to her heartbroken parents, Gracie is survived by her sister, Zoe Habel, age 7, whom she adored unabashedly, her “little” brother, age 16, Craig Hartl, with whom she shared a deep heart connection, her maternal grandmother, Sally Bobel, her paternal grandfather, Heinrich Hartl, numerous aunts, uncles, cousins and her steadfast boyfriend, Sam Flavin. Gracie was predeceased by her paternal grandmother, Hedda Hartl, and her maternal grandfather, John Bobel. A memorial service and celabration of Gracie’s life will be held at the church where Gracie was both dedicated and later completed the “Coming of Age” program, First Parish Church, Unitarian Universalist (Harvard Square, Cambridge) on Sunday, November 7th at 5:00 P.M. At the reception that follows, all are invited to contribute words, images and other remembrances on a Memory Wall. The family invites donations in lieu of flowers to the newly established “Gracie James Foundation” which will focus on closing the gaps in systems of support for local teens. Donations can be sent to 76 Paul Revere Road, Arlington, MA 02476.

Published in Boston Herald on October 27, 2010
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Gracie James, R.I.P.
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 12:11:43 AM »
This same obituary, almost verbatim, was also published in The Arlington Advocate from November 2 to November 8, 2010. This latter version also included a pic:

[/list]
    Gracie Christine James
    September 29, 1993 - October 20, 2010[/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Guest Book for Gracie James, R.I.P., #s 1-20
    « Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 04:47:13 PM »
    Guest Book entries for Gracie James attached to the first obituary posted above (alternate link for the same set [attached to the another publication of said obit], in case access to one of these expires before the other one), #s 1-20:

October 27, 2010
      My deepest sympathy to Chris and your family. My prayers are with you. A angel has gone to haven. What a young heart and beautiful woman.

Mary Schuffert-Schuerger, Lorain, Ohio
        ~ MARY Schuffert=Schuerger,
    Lorain, Ohio[/list][/list]
    October 28, 2010
      Very sorry for your loss.
        ~ Jodie & Sarah Thomas,
    BHSA[/list][/list]
    October 28, 2010
      As I read of gracie's life, I see that she, as many of the young lives that part this world was a grounded "Angel". Peace be with Gracie's family and friends.

Denise Steinbrunner Bartlome
    October 28, 2010
      As I read about Gracie's life, I see that she, like other young lives that leave us to early was a grounded angel....Peace be with all Gracie's family and friends.
      Denise Steinbrunner Bartlome, Avon, Ohio
    October 28, 2010
      With deepest sympathy
        ~ Maria DiFrancesco-Szarek,
    Avon Lake, Ohio[/list][/list]
    October 28, 2010
      Chrissy, my deepest sympathy to you in the death of your beloved daughter. It has been many years since I've seen you, but I know you were a wonderful loving mother and her gifts were fostered and supported by you. Prayers to you. Mrs. Bowersox
        ~ Tricia Bowersox,
    Avon, Ohio[/list][/list]
    October 29, 2010
      MY DEEPEST SYMPATHY CHRIS AND FAMILY MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THIS GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU ALL VIKI CAMPBELL(KOROGIANOS) VERMILION OHIO
    October 29, 2010
      Dear Chrisi,
      I am so sorry for your loss. Words cannot express my heartfelt sympathy for you and your entire family.
        ~ Chris DeNicola-Brletic,
    Crown Point, Indiana[/list][/list]
    October 29, 2010
      After reading what was written about Gracie I can see that she is priceless ruby and will forever be remembered. Our prayers are with you Chrisi and your family. Gladys Mercado and Sam Salas
        ~ Gladys Salas,
    Lorain, Ohio[/list][/list]
    October 30, 2010
      My deepest sympathy to you and your family in the lost of your daughter,I know how you must be feeling,I lost my youngest son year half ago.she will be sadly missed by all who knew and loved her.take care.
        ~ sheri short (Quigley),
    Bargersville, Indiana[/list][/list]
    October 31, 2010
      Chrisi,
      I'm so sad to hear of your lose. My heart breaks for you. Neither time or distance really dims the light of true friendship and I truly cherish ours. Please hold the memories and times you shared with Gracie as a true blessing. My thougths and prayers go out to you and to all who were blessed to be apart of Gracie's life. Sounds like she lived life large...must have taken after her Mother...in a very short time she was able to touch many lives and she will be missed across the country. May you find peace and calm somewhere amid this storm. Our prayers are with you. Love ya, Paul & Sharon (Pankratz) Taramarcaz Gunnison, CO
        ~ Sharon Taramarcaz,
    Gunnisonc, Colorado[/list][/list]
    November 01, 2010
      Dear Jim,
      We are so sorry for this great loss in your life. Try to remember her in her smiling ways and happy times.
      There are no words to say other than we are sorry for you and your family. Our prayers are with you.
      Bob, Susan and Brent Johnson and Noella Demers
    November 01, 2010
      Chris,
      Such a tragedy for Gracie, you and your family. We are so very sorry.
        ~ Bill & Judy Shepard,
    Elyria, Ohio[/list][/list]
    November 02, 2010
      Chris and Thomas,
      I am so sorry to hear about your tragic loss. My thoughts are with you. Lauren
        ~ Lauren Berman,
    Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts[/list][/list]
    November 02, 2010
      Your devastating loss of Gracie is unimaginable. Know that I am mourning with you in your sorrow. I will always remember her smile, free spirit and kind heart. With love and prayers.
        ~ Heather Dawood,
    Mansfield, Massachusetts[/list][/list]
    November 04, 2010
      For Gracie who will always be with us in our hearts.
        ~ Lisa Wilker,
    Charlotte, North Carolina[/list][/list]
    November 05, 2010
      Dear Chrissy and Thomas: Jill and I want to extend our deepest condolences to you and the family. We know your loss is immeasurable, and the void left in your heart can never be filled. Please know that we wish you peace and comfort from those who loved her and the wonderful memories that were her gift to you all. With love, Jill and Jan Sacks
    November 07, 2010
      My mind is filled with memories of laughter, beauty, comradery, and whispered confidences between two preteen friends. Was it just a few years ago that Gracie and Sarah played soccer together, made up funny words and dialog, made each other laugh for hours on end? Two lovely girls brimming with the joys of young girlhood with womanhood a near yet shadowy presence. They would tumble downstairs together at supper time, share a tree perch, sneak through a fence to their favorite pastry shop,
      gently snuggling under their blankets for a delicious sleep in after an all nighter-sleepover, wistfully hugging good-bye at pick-up time with the promise of future adventures lurking behind their soft, smiling eyes. I yearn for another visit from this beautiful girl who graces us with such endearing and enduring memories. And I comfort myself that although we will never see her on Earth again, she remains among us, in our hearts, nestled and blanketed warmly and lovingly.
        ~ Anne DiZio,
    Arlington, Massachusetts[/list][/list]
    November 07, 2010
      I grew up in Somerville so even though I never knew her well I spent a lot of time in Arlington at the Unitarian church. I remember once I was staying with Clara and it was Gracie's birthday and I ended up crashing with them in the ice skating rink. All these flittering memories of the small times we crossed path flood my mind, and I wish I had had the opportunity to get to know her better. She was such a wonderful and it's devastating that she left this earth so early.
        ~ Alana Thurston,
    Somerville, Massachusetts[/list][/list]
    November 08, 2010
      It is unimaginable, from all perspectives. I do not know you, but know one of Gracie's friends. I write because I also know. In my thoughts...

Lucy, Torri's Mom
        ~ Lucy Wightman,
    Hull, Massachusetts[/list][/list]

° ° °

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Gracie James, whose writing gleamed with insights...
    « Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 11:39:46 AM »
    Another obituary:

The Boston Globe
    OBITUARIES

Gracie James, whose writing gleamed with insights; at 17

By Bryan Marquard
    Globe Staff / November 5, 2010

Gracie James had an affinity for nature's soothing presence.

With a poet's unsparing insight, Gracie James contemplated the border between hope and despair.

"There is a fine line between happiness and depression, doubt and trust, acceptance and regret," she wrote a year and a half ago, when she was 15 and a student at Arlington High School. "If there's one thing I've learned, it's that time is the medicine for countless situations."

Healed and sometimes harmed, she could sense redemption in a casual gesture, a benediction in a subtle approval.

"Maybe you can find it in the smallest things," she wrote. "Like a smile or a tear, or a simple nod of the head, demonstrating understanding, saying, 'I know what you mean,' because that's all we want to hear."

Three weeks after turning 17, Miss James was a passenger in a sport utility vehicle with others enrolled in a Utah boarding school for teenage girls trying to regain their emotional bearings. Sitting in front, she adjusted the radio, setting a soundtrack for their ride. On the way to Arches National Park in the southeastern part of the state, the vehicle went off Interstate 70 near Sevier and rolled over, police said. Miss James suffered severe head injuries and died three days later, on Oct. 20, in Provo.

Precocious as a writer, Miss James fared well in contests and exhibited natural abilities as a figure skater in early adolescence before turning to alcohol and marijuana in high school to ease her struggle with depression. At the Sunrise Residential Treatment Program in Hurricane, Utah, she responded quickly to the therapy, said her mother, Chris Bobel of Arlington.

"It's tragic enough that our daughter was killed at 17," Bobel said. "It's even more tragic that she was turning her life around, that she had recommitted to living a healthy life that she could be proud of. It's devastating."

At Arlington High, Miss James could create quickly, composing a poem in class and slipping it into a friend's hands minutes later in the hallway.

"When I read her poetry, I could hardly believe that she could write it because it was so good," said Nora Blake, a friend and classmate. "She would leave me letters, and she would write them the way she talked to you, so you could hear her voice."

Miss James had written so much, so poignantly, that the eulogy at her memorial service Sunday will be composed mostly from her prose and poems.

"She wrote this wonderful poem about accepting death to my mother when she was dying," said Miss James's stepfather, Thomas Hartl. "It expressed emotions the whole family was struggling with, and she put it in such beautiful words. I read it and just cried because it was so, so beautiful. It made my mother cry, but they were good tears."

In the poem, "Hedda," named for her grandmother, Miss James wrote in part:

Remember everything you've touched:
      The hands of those you love,
      Tears of the sky on your face,
      The hearts you've soothed and comforted.
      [/list]

Grace Christine James was born in Whitewater, Wis. She was named Grace after a relative who played a significant role in her mother's life. In an autobiography, Miss James wrote: "Christina is my mom's name so she gave me the middle name Christine. . . . My last name is my dad's first name, James, instead of his last name, Lundy, which I suppose is unusual in American culture."

Her parents parted when she was young.

After Bobel married Hartl, who is from Germany, European trips helped make Miss James worldly, "but she was always pretty modest about that," her mother said. "She was really very connected to her town. She loved Arlington, she loved her home."

Miss James was 7 when she moved to Arlington, which soon became home to her mother, stepfather, father, and also to her 16-year-old stepbrother, Craig Hartl, and her younger sister, Zoe Habel, born when Gracie was 9.

With Miss James's poems, essays, short stories, and journals, "it felt like she was writing beyond her years," her mother said. "In the metaphors she would conjure, she was bold and unafraid to take risks."

Figure skating provided respite from the emotions of life, where friendships Miss James valued could also overwhelm.

Gracie, Bobel added, "had this capacity to connect with people that was rooted in her almost precocious empathy. Because of that, she was also very vulnerable. She took relationships seriously, she took friendships very seriously, so it cut both ways. A cross word would really hurt."

In addition to her mother, father, stepfather, sister, and stepbrother, Miss James leaves her grandmother Sally (Ferraro) Bobel of Lorain, Ohio, and her grandfather Heinrich Hartl of Hanau, Germany.

Family and friends will gather to celebrate her life at 5 p.m. Sunday in First Parish Cambridge, the Unitarian Universalist church in Harvard Square.

The accident damaged Gracie's brain in ways that could not be reversed. Her family asked doctors to remove her from life support on Oct. 20, and word spread around the world through the family's circles of friends. Many paused at that moment to listen to Miss James's favorite song, Death Cab for Cutie's "I Will Follow You Into the Dark," in which the singer quietly offers: "If there's no one beside you/When your soul embarks/Then I'll follow you into the dark."

The next day, Bobel said, many of Miss James's friends attended Arlington High wearing green, her favorite color, because it evokes nature's soothing presence. Friends plan to don green again for Sunday's service.

"I used to think I knew what love was," she wrote at 15, "but I've realized that love is the most complex sensation in the world, partly because it's a mix of everything there is to feel. Finding a definition for it could take a lifetime, and in the end it's still only a theory."

© Copyright 2010 Globe Newspaper Company.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Nee Saves the Day for Arlington Boys' Soccer
      « Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 10:42:46 PM »
      Gracie James is also mentioned in this article on Arlington Boys' Soccer. Video news clip and five pics at the link; bold emphasis added in the article below:

Arlington Patch
      SPORTS

Nee Saves the Day for Arlington Boys' Soccer
      Sophomore backup comes in for penalty kicks and makes game-winning save.

By John Waller | November 8, 2010

It defined bittersweet.

With starting goalie Sam Flavin having to leave the field after overtime to go speak at his girlfriend's funeral, sophomore keeper Kelan Nee stepped in for the penalty kicks Sunday in the preliminary round of the Division 2 North sectional and made the game-winning save.

"I was pretty scared, actually," a still-stunned Nee said of entering the game at its most critical point. "I didn't want to let my teammates down."

Nee's diving stop clinched the No. 20 seed Arlington High boys' soccer team's 1-0 upset win over No. 13 Lynn Classical (7-6-4) at Manning Field in Lynn. Arlington (9-8-2) advances to face No. 4 Pentucket (13-3-2) at 6:30 p.m. today at Haverhill Stadium in Haverhill.

The game, originally scheduled for 4 p.m., was moved to 2 p.m., so that Flavin and his teammates could attend his girlfriend's funeral without missing the game. Flavin's girlfriend, 17-year-old Gracie James, of Arlington, died last month due to injuries sustained in an SUV rollover accident in Utah.

After both teams made four of five penalty kicks, Arlington sophomore Nathan Lobel scored first in the sudden-death portion. Nee then dove to his left to corral a shot by Lynn's Walter Cifuentes. The first-year goalie then casually walked toward his charging teammates.

"I didn't know what to do," he said.

Arlington took an early 1-0 lead in the penalty kicks, as after a goal by sophomore Fernando Cuervo-Torello, Lynn's German Canales shot the ball wide.

The teams then traded two goals, with senior captains Christian Fischer and Nick Coleman converting for Arlington. Junior Matt Wah hit the crossbar on Arlington's next attempt, before teammate Sam Riveria scored to help force sudden death.

Dammy Dada was in goal for Lynn. He made a number of sensational saves during the game but failed to thwart all but one of Arlington's penalty kicks, despite guessing right on a few attempts.

"He really kept them in the game," Arlington coach Lance Yodzio said. "He must have robbed three or four goals."

Dada made diving stops on close-range shots from Arlington's Chris Hamblin and Ryan Salocks in the second half.

In the first half, Cuervo-Torello had a great look off a corner, with Dada out of position, but a Lynn defender headed the ball out near the far post to maintain the scoreless tie.

Flavin had two key saves late in the second half, on a 35-yard free kick by Canales and on a corner.

Fischer anchored Arlington's defense, with Adam Long and Graham McInnis at the wings and Hamblin at stopper.

Arlington senior captain Trevor O'Brien-Jones left the game in the first half with a possible concussion.

Copyright © 2010 Patch.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
      Re: Recent Death of girl at the hands of Sunrise Academy
      « Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 01:39:08 PM »
      Its nice reading all the positive support Gracie is getting from family and friends.  She had such a positive effect on so many people.  Thanks for keeping this thread going and keeping us all updated on the progress of the events in the aftermath of this tragedy, Ursus.

Offline x0xlizarddx0x

• View Profile
      « Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 01:54:30 AM »
      FIRSTT OF ALLL i attendedd sunrise "residential treatment center" and i can tell you from first hand experience that it is not a "tough loove" program or a good place to send kids.  It is a horrible torture zone which only makes peoplee worse.  I am not surprised that one of those ignorant mean "staff" members killed TWO poor innocent girls.  I was beyond miserable there and so was everybody that i knew from there.  The staff members are all horrible people trying to lock up innocent girls for expressing who they are.  Sunrise should be 100% blamed for this and for the depression that girls have after being there and all the other trouble girls get into after being there.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      « Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 12:35:09 AM »
      Quote from: "Whooter"
      Its nice reading all the positive support Gracie is getting from family and friends.  She had such a positive effect on so many people.  Thanks for keeping this thread going and keeping us all updated on the progress of the events in the aftermath of this tragedy, Ursus.
      You are quite welcome. All kids that went to programs and who die young, long before their time, and for whatever reason, should have some extra airplay here. IMO. I only wish that I had the energy and focus to be more consistent about it. But, I do what I can...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Guest Book for Gracie James, R.I.P., #s 21-
      « Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 12:40:24 AM »
      Fwiw, the same obituary for Gracie James that was published in The Boston Herald (October 27, 2010) and The Arlington Advocate (November 2-8, 2010) ... was also published in The Boston Globe on October 31, 2010. For some reason I missed it. (This is not to be confused with the special additional obit published in the Globe five days later; see above.)

Although access to the Herald and the Advocate Guest Books has by now expired, some generous person has apparently paid for the Globe Guest Book to remain open 'till Oct. 31, 2011. Note that entries to all three of these guest books have been pooled together by Legacy.com.

--------------

Guest Book for Gracie James, continued, #s 21-?:

November 11, 2010
        Gracie, no words can begin to describe what you meant to me. Though we were strangers during the hardest two weeks of my life you were by my side. If it wasn't for you I would've never been discharged from brighton. We were strangers at first but by thr time you left we were great friends. I miss you and you and your family will forever be in my prayers. As for now you will be my beautiful angel.
          ~ Meaghan Cunniffe,
      Hanover, Massachusetts[/list][/list]

° ° °