Author Topic: Straight Survivors who live near D.C.  (Read 5031 times)

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Straight Survivors who live near D.C.
« on: November 09, 2010, 03:34:52 PM »
We're coming to Northern Virginia VERY soon to film for the Documentary. If you are interested in interviewing and you haven't touched base w/ me yet, please PM me and I'll give you the dates and location.
Thanks!
Kelly
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: Straight Survivors who live near D.C.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 10:50:13 AM »
:waaaa:   I wanna go!  I miss everyone already, although with RTP coming in tonight I'm pretty damn excited!  Give the crew & everyone else hugs & kisses from me!   :-*  :cheers:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:09:48 AM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
:waaaa:   I wanna go!  I miss everyone already, although with RTP coming in tonight I'm pretty damn excited!  Give the crew & everyone else hugs & kisses from me!   :-*  :cheers:

Will do! :)  Give RTP hugs from me! :)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 11:21:50 AM »
Quote from: "webdiva"
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Will do! :)  Give RTP hugs from me! :)

You got it!

Damn!  Still gotta get that jacket!!!  Keep forgetting.  :wall:

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 03:08:27 PM »
Hey you all =)

Pirate called me and let me know about this. WoW! What an amazing opportunity!

I am debating on coming. On one hand I think I could offer a little different perspective.. since I spent my time sitting on my hands or restrained on the floor. On the other hand.. many of you remember how tough it was for me when I first found this board to come to terms with what had occurred and how it destroyed my life. Looking back, I was pretty damn angry. It has taken me a lot of years to get to where I am with going to college and really picking up the pieces. I told Pirate that what scared me the most about coming is - loosing myself in all that torment again. Geesh, just writing this.. I am getting teary.. I haven't cried in a long time about Straight..Sigh.

Is anyone else willing to let me know if they too had / have this experience and how they have made the choice to go or not to go?

So, anyhow. I will decide by this weekend if the risk is worth the reward for me. I am in a very stressful semester (1st nursing semester) and really need to remain focused. Can I just let Pirate know what my plans are and he can let you know? Or should I PM you or what is best? I would likely plan to get a hotel room and spend the night.

PS - College news! My 3rd exam, of 5, was today! And I think I did fine =) Just a few more weeks for this semester.. Yay! I have been working with my own patient doing physical assessments, nursing diagnosis, charting, etc.. And the longer I work with her.. the more I realize it isn't about what I am doing for my patient.. as much as it is about what my patient is doing for me. It is really an amazing process!

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »
hey withdraw - I hear ya man.  I went to the st pete filming last weekend.  It was emotionally draining; I only fought for 37 days, not my entire time in the program.   So I can only imagine what yo uwent thru. Wish I had the balls to fight until I was kicked out.  I would encourage you to go.  You don't even have to do the interview if you don't want to.  The people you will be with will be wonderful and they will have your back . . .the film director and his staff are amazing, very compassionate and professional.   Take a chance . . .I thought that if I could do the interview adn maybe help persuade a parent to not put their kid in a program or maybe evne influence legislation to end these child abuse/mind rape mills, then my time in straight will have been worth it.

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 04:25:50 PM »
Hyya WD
I am willing to share my experience. I kinda had the illusion, I had most if not all my shit in one sock, so to speak. I had discussed it (Straight) with as many people as would listen. I did not expect to experience the emotions that I did experience over the course of fri/sat/sun. To be sure....Monday, was a wash out...I was spent, beyond description. Teusday, was better, at least I could describe my emotions. And today, Wed...damn near my "normal" self.

As with any "gathering" we have...yes....it's alot of fun, the excitement is unreal. And yes, the nature of this "gathering" is unlike most, if not all we have ever had. There was no issue, no question, as to if I would be attending the St.Pete shoot! The question is, would I make the effort to get to DC, for the DC shoot. I am entertaining the thought. However, aside from the wife being ill, aside from the finacial aspects, aside from the emotional hangover...I have to ask myself, do I wanna go? Yes! Am I able to go? Eh. What good would it do, if I were to go? Well, here is a crucial question, for me. I had my interviews. I went thru what I went thru afterwards. Is it worth it for me, to risk those same emotions for the sake of being there....if my only reason is to offer support?

As uncomfortable as it was, post interview, yes, I would risk having those same emotions again....and travel some good distance just for the sake of being there. I dont see it as an issue, of "my emotions" now. To me, it's the next group of folks being interviewed....it's thier emotions, thier experiance...Good people surrounded me during the St.Pete shoot, no doubt! I was as safe as I could possibly be, as was everyone else. I wanna return the favor, for the good folks in DC.

I think ya have a valid concern, what with school, and the need to keep focus etc. I wish I could say it was a flat out cake walk. It was intense, no doubt!!! This is something ya really have to weigh out the pros and the cons. And you sound as if thats what your doing, very wise!

Trust your heart on this one WD. You know yourself far better than anyone else. You know your strengths, you know your limits. What ever descion ya make, no one will think any differently of you.

Pirate called ya did he? Would you mind calling him back and asking him to call woof?...I can not for the life of me find his damn number
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 04:29:44 PM »
Quote from: "kpickle39"
hey withdraw - I hear ya man.  I went to the st pete filming last weekend.  It was emotionally draining; I only fought for 37 days, not my entire time in the program.   So I can only imagine what you went thru. Wish I had the balls to fight until I was kicked out.  I would encourage you to go.  You don't even have to do the interview if you don't want to.  The people you will be with will be wonderful and they will have your back . . .the film director and his staff are amazing, very compassionate and professional.   Take a chance . . .I thought that if I could do the interview and maybe help persuade a parent to not put their kid in a program or maybe even influence legislation to end these child abuse/mind rape mills, then my time in straight will have been worth it.
[/u][/b]

Take a chance . . .I thought that if I could do the interview and maybe help persuade a parent to not put their kid in a program or maybe even influence legislation to end these child abuse/mind rape mills, then my time in straight will have been worth it.

Just needed to separate this sentence from the rest.  :notworthy:

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 04:32:23 PM »
Quote from: "Woof-a-Doof"

Pirate called ya did he? Would you mind calling him back and asking him to call woof?...I can not for the life of me find his damn number

He checks his PMs woof!

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 04:45:46 PM »
Quote from: "webdiva"
He checks his PMs woof!

Aww hell...didn't even think of that...thats another reason your a diva  

:notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »
Thank you all =)

I am seriously considering going.
I have to work out the logistics now. Money is pretty tight with going to school full time =(
I will figure it out though =)

And I will talk to him again sometime this week likely, and let him know. He said he hasn't had a computer for awhile, so a PM may take awhile to get to him if he has to go somewhere to check them. I wish I could figure out a way to get him a laptop or something, I would hate not having my computer, LOL. I mean.... I need it for school, but ya know.. Gamers NEED their computers daily! <3

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 06:08:25 PM »
computer? I've sent out about 10 of them over the years to various survivor folks. All I need is a basic idea of what you're looking for and see if I have it and of course, an address to ship it to and walla...

For those of you who want to release a large amount of pain and "ball/chain" type weight, do the interviews!!

To me, there's nothing more powerfully or personally rewarding in my experience than doing an interview about the program. Nothing can come close to it. For example: When I was in Columbus with Pirate and NCL, there was a lot of tension in that WBNS conference room due to our testimony combined with the huge pile of evidence sitting on the table in front of that reporter. She got her boss's permission to use it and she wasted no time implicating straight inc by name right there on the prime time evening news! Talk about validation and takin a load off, whew, that was incredible.
 :cheers:

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 11:29:58 AM »
@ Withdraw---Thanks for getting in touch with Pirate!  :notworthy:
I spoke with  him yesterday,saturday.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 10:35:19 AM »
Withdraw....I totally get your apprehension.  I felt the same way.  I knew I wanted to participate, but I've finally gotten myself to a point of being able to put Straight in it's place in my emotions and have built a reasonably happy life now and was afraid of opening up old wounds.  It's a legitimate fear, but as others have said, you will be surrounded by great people!  Obviously the survivors, especially ones you've gotten close to on the boards or off but the crew is awesome as well!  They really do 'get' what this is all about and if at any time you're that uncomfortable, you can stop.  They are truly so compassionate and really care about this 'project'.  I was also privileged to see a trailer for another docu/re-enaction that they did.  I was blown. away.  It was about a subject that is just as emotional and 'disturbing' as ours, in a different way, and they handled it beautifully!  Not just cinematically (which was amazing), but with such impact and passion.   Also as someone else said, you don't even have to interview if you don't want to, but I have a feeling after you see one person do it, you'll start to want to too.  It was really validating and healing for me....especially with all the people that were there.  Don't get me wrong - it took a helluva lot out of me and I was about the same way as Woof described.  Monday I was wiped out!  Tuesday I started to get a little energy back and then by Wed, I was at least performing at work fairly normally.

All your concerns are valid....school, work, family etc. but if you can figure it out, my advice would be at least to go.  You can decide how long you want to stay, if you want to interview and if you do, what you talk about and don't want to talk about is completely up to you.  ALL of it's OK.  You'll fall in love with the crew and get to either meet people from here you've never met or just reconnect with some.  If you want to talk about how it went down here, PM me and we'll get in touch over the phone.

:peace:

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »
Things should be cool, Withdraw.

Even though I'm involved in making this thing, I'm somewhat afraid, too; I've never interviewed about my time in Straight before...

In addition to any co-production I contribute to the documentary, I will be sitting on the other end of the camera as well. I plan on reviewing the questions in hopes of being as prepared as I can be for my interview. (The questions that the other survivors have answered already, and that will be put forth to me and to the rest of you at the next set of interviews, are essentially my own questions; I came up with them a long while back, when this documentary was yet a pipe-dream... Webdiva dug them up from an email I sent her back then. They were then passed around to the other producers, as well as film crew for revision and expansion...)

So I'm nervous despite already having a good idea of what I will be asked... I will probably want to answer the questions alone, with no one else around during this process but the interviewer, camera person, and maybe the shrink just in case (these options are of course open to anyone.) If you would like to know what the questions will be in advance, we can send them along beforehand... or maybe we should post them here, or something... ?