Author Topic: an arguement I got into with one of my male friends.........  (Read 1389 times)

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
an arguement I got into with one of my male friends.........
« on: October 07, 2003, 09:25:00 AM »
I told him that people would have happily got on a bus myself included to go to prison and watch TV and smoke cigarettes and use the phone and that prison was like disneyland compared to Straight he did not believe me. I then proceded to get to fucking pissed that he told me to calm down. Hmmmm any of you who probably have know me from just the few messages we have exchanged can proably imagine that saying calm down to me has an almost completely opposite effect. I wanted to go buck wild. He has no computer. I wanted to drag him to this website. I want him to KNOW. I think almost everyone would have rather done a bid.

Visitors, phones, cigs?

So let me know what you think was I wrong all these years later and no one believes what it was like in there I wanted to physically assault him. It took him a few minutes before he looked in my eyes I think and saw that I was so serious I was either going to cry or scream or go off because it is not funny I am not being dramatic. This story was not for his amusement. Grrrrrrrr

No wonder people do not believe us what the fuck. :flame:

History gives us a kind of chart, and we dare not surrender even a small rushlight in the darkness. The hasty reformer who does not remember the past will find himself condemned to repeat it.
--John Buchan

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 10:02:00 AM »
Hell ya you're right. That place was a living hell, why don't you ask him to sit up straight face forward for hours on end and NOT got to the bathroom for an UNTOLD number of hours on end for an UNTOLD amount of days and let people tell him that he was a worthless peice of shit. If he can survive alllllllll that, maybe then he can deny it if he wants to.....

I can't stand it when people draw quick judgements without knowing all the facts. You're doing the right thing having him read up on it all.

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 11:22:00 AM »
Some will understand, some won't. That's just the way it goes, I've found. Those who do, will most likely understand you better on a whole as a person. I've been there. I've avoided that conversation so many times just because I didn't want to get into it with the other person. Mainly males for some reason, probably because what happened to us makes us crave intimacy and understanding for it, which makes you feel more vulnerable and want to be loved 'n' stuff... I'll bet the guys have a similar perspective. Yeah, it's difficult.

Best of luck to you!   ::heart::

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »
Well, I am probably going to get slaughtered for this, but here goes....

I think the Straight/Prison issue may be a little more balanced than we would all like to admit sometimes.  This is just my thoughts on it.  I mean, there probably wasnt any mental and physical abuse that happened in Straight that didnt have its equal counterpart in a prison setting.  We may have had to sit up straight and so forth, but I would almost rather have done that all day every day, than wonder every night if someone was waiting to rape me and put my in the hospital.  I dont think its fair to say one was worse than than the other, I do however feel that the magnitude of the abuse manifested itself in different ways, although the reprocussions were very much equal.  Does that make sense?  

I can guarantee you one thing, If I had my choice I would chose Straight.  In Straight, I could have kept trying to run and run and run and eventually one day I would have gotten away.  Without being a fugitive (in the prison sense) or a felon for doing it.  Now, I know this doesnt apply to everyone, so dont pounce me for generalizations, but in my opinion, we had more options in Straight than we would ever have in prison.  You couldnt even work to get out of prison, time is time, and there are no phases...you just stay at the bottom of the barrel until you can beat your way out.  Again, this doesnt apply to us all, I am just stating that we did indeed have at least several different directions to look towards in the program than we probably ever would as prison inmates.  Give me a choice between a little alarm on the window and a set of steel bars to run through, and I am gonna pick the alarm every time.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 12:06:00 PM »
But did Straight ever offer you a 'sentence', an amount of time that you would have to spend there before you could leave? - no they didn't. You never knew when you were going to be done with them. Were you ever allowed a private phone call to your parents to tell them what was going on? no. I can tell you this, I was never told I would go to jail if I didn't cooperate with them, I was told I would have to 'work the program' or conform to their ways, be one of them in order to 'progress'. That is sickening to me to think that. I was over 18 and held against my will, I could not leave and they knew it. There are two sides to this. Most people that were there were not "court ordered".

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 12:20:00 PM »
Lots of us were dragged back kicking a screaming and remained there for years regardless of escape attempts. The emotional abuse and torture that followed was hard enough not to mention the time. However, since most of us were children, and seeing how there is no prison for kids, I'd say we were there. We were in prison. Kids aren't allowed to smoke anyway. Now jail, sure, I'd take in a heartbeat over Straight and women's prison too, but they are not for kids either. You just go and do your time. You know when you're getting out before you go in. We had NO rights, no say in anything. Every shred of truth hidden from us. Not much can compare to having your childhood stollen.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 12:43:00 PM »
I can see both sides of this, plus another, maybe more frightening dimenstion.

On the way out of Straight, I chanced to spend a couple of months (I think) in Cobb County and then Macon County juvenile detention centers. These were supposed to have been among the toughest in the country. Not for the calibur of inmates, but because of the strict and unforgiving staff.

Well, the first day was horrible! I cried and was absolutely terrified! But none of the things I was afraid of ever actually happened. It was boring, to be sure. Endless games of gin rummy in the day room to the soundtrack of endless daytime TV. But, once a week, we got to spend an hour down the hall in a classroom, where a real teacher would help kids study whatever they wanted or not, so long as we were quiet and respectful of those others who did want accademic help. I realized that this was probably the very same facility where my sister had spent about 6 weeks and I spent my time reading all of the Jules Verne books in the library. By comparison, day for day, juvenile detention was an absolute vacation!

But that's not the same thing as a 20 year sentence in state prison. Given the choice between another stint in the mind-fuck-mill and a long prison sentence, well the only reason I might choose prison would be to demonstrate against mind-fucking. But (and here's the third dimension I mentioned above) don't look now, but they're implimenting the Program in our prison, jail and parole and probation systems!!

Ask Ed Forchion about that. Ask anyone who's ever spent time in a Florida prison how they go about disciplining inmates who complain, foment dissent or otherwise don't go along with the program. One of the first tier punishments is to make the inmate sit bold straight and still on their cot for a number of hours, staring directly at the wall in front of them. If they're not in that position or if they're humming or otherwise seeking diversion when the guard checks the surveilance monitor or looks in the door, they start all over again, sometimes with hours added. For almost any crime, an inmate can reduce their sentence and gain other inducements by going through the boot-camp and/or the therapeutic community based work release program.

So, at this point, it's almost 6 of these vs. half dozen of the other. Some of these folks are in the Program and with a 20 year sentence!

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.

--Charles Austin Beard

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline bilabong69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 12:44:00 PM »
Well speaking from experience, without being in both situations one can only make their best guess as to how it would be for them. Me, well I saw both, 2 years in Sarasota Straight and then 5 years in the florida corrections facilities. They are both prisons of one sort or another, mental and physical. As for prison and knowing when you'll get out, thats not exactly true. I went in expecting to get released in 2 years figuring time off for good behaviour. Well of course that's not how it happened, you either are a good boy or a bad boy in there, if your a bad boy then you end up spending much more time due to your "misbehaving"-see the two are similar in ways, right? I encited riots, sold drugs, made wine, many fights-mostly racial, I even got arrested in prison for possession and introduction of contraband into a state facility-then taken to the outside jail and sat there for 2 weeks getting what they call outside charges brought on me. I scarred my body with many "jailhouse tattoos", why, ya just had too. I had many racist tattoos put on to seperate myself, which I have had covered over out of respect.
Rather than going on and on about one's lifes experiences, It comes down to this, Straight and Prison are one in the same but yet with many differences, if you can understand that.
Peace

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 10:34:00 PM »
I am just the type who wants a sentance who wants something to count down to scratch off

don't leave me in limbo

I had 13 months in limbo fuck that shit IT felt like 30 years it could have been less more or anything because I was 14 and you had to be 18 to sign youself out

Argh I need a plan even if it a real bad one fuck it I am comin on the situation with a plan.
I want to know where I am how long I am going to be there what you think what you think I think and everything else.

Necessity never made a good bargain
--Benjamin Franklin Apr. 1734

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do