Author Topic: Letter to a whiny young Democrat  (Read 7096 times)

Offline Samara

• View Profile
Re: Letter to a whiny young Democrat
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »
Plain and simple, I would vote for Elmo before I would ever vote Republican. It has nothing to do with Democrats. I just hate Republicans on their own merits. Also, I'm not really into theological fascism. I really don't see Ben Franklin hobnobbing with the current rendition of crazy assed neocons.

I also don't understand why people think America is supposed to remain the same when our population has exploded exponentially in the past 60 years.  Opportunity is not as pervasive. This is the first generation that is graduating less literate than their parent's generation.

What I really hate is the whole big government vs. small government argument. It's not an all or nothing paradigm. There is place for both. But I sure as  @#!*%  don't trust too-big-to-fail corporations to "keep it real." Regulations and oversight are necessary.

Do Democrats even have a version of Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, or Ann Coulter to name a few? These pundits don't represent sanity, or conservatism. They are all vicious little  @#!*%  that base every argument on bellicosity instead of reason and sense. The fact they are so admired makes me think Americans are stupid twits who 1. don't read, and 2. are either bullies or 3. so impotent they have to stand under the skirts  of mean girls to feel powerful.

I would much rather hang with someone who attends tree hugging ceremonies for Adam and Steve than I would ever choose to hang around some one holding a "God hates F-gs" sign at a dead hero's funeral.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:40:36 PM by Samara »

Offline Shadyacres

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »
Quote from: "Samara"
Plain and simple, I would vote for Elmo before I would ever vote Republican. It has nothing to do with Democrats. I just hate Republicans on their own merits. Also, I'm not really into theological fascism. I really don't see Ben Franklin hobnobbing with the current rendition of crazy assed neocons.

I also don't understand why people think America is supposed to remain the same when our population has exploded exponentially in the past 60 years.  Opportunity is not as pervasive. This is the first generation that is graduating less literate than their parent's generation.

What I really hate is the whole big government vs. small government argument. It's not an all or nothing paradigm. There is place for both. But I sure as hell don't trust too-big-to-fail corporations to "keep it real." Regulations and oversight are necessary.

Do Democrats even have a version of Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, or Ann Coulter to name a few? These pundits don't represent sanity, or conservatism. They are all vicious little bitches that base every argument on bellicosity instead of reason and sense. The fact they are so admired makes me think Americans are stupid twits who 1. don't read, and 2. are either bullies or 3. so impotent they have to stand under the skirts the mean girls to feel powerful.

I would much rather hang with someone who attends tree hugging ceremonies for Adam and Steve than I would ever choose to hang around some one holding a "God hates F-gs"sign at dead hero's funeral.

:tup:  :tup:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 03:46:30 PM »
I would much rather hang with someone who attends tree hugging ceremonies for Adam and Steve than I would ever choose to hang around some one holding a "God hates F-gs" sign at a dead hero's funeral.

I think most people would agree with you here, myself included.  The people who carry these signs are not representing the Republican party, they are representing a segment of a religious affiliation.

Offline Shadyacres

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 03:48:18 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

I think most people would agree with you here, myself included.  The people who carry these signs are not representing the Republican party, they are representing a segment of a religious affiliation.

Whooter, I'll bet you a million dollars they didn't vote democrat in the last election.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 04:12:31 PM »
The whole liberal and conservative monikers are totally fucking BS, too.

I live in a very fundie area. All NeoCon republican.  The level of sheer hypocrisy that exists here is absolutely stultifying. So, yeah, I am not as quietly biased as I used to be. I don't want to hear about your freaking family values when you are on wife #3 or you straightjacket your real orientation, your conservative lifestyle because your addiction comes with an RX, or your fiscal conservatism when you declared bankruptcy as a result of your greedy keeping up with the Joneses lifestyle. (Does a family of 3 REALLY need a mansion?) Out here, I get the WORST of social hypocrisy and religious fascism. NOT impressed.

And of course, while I would LOVE to hear sound arguments establishing a valid POV, who the hell am I supposed to listen to? Coulter? Limbaugh? Beck? Hannity? Or Perhaps Palin whose platform rests on  guns, God, moose chili, and the ability to see Russia from her back porch makes her uniquely qualified to lead?

Trickle down and read-my-lips-no-new taxes is all BS, too, but still,  I never ever thought I'd say this: In this era of fascist NeoCons, I'm really missing the hell out of Reagan.

But I'd still vote for ELMO first.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »
Quote from: "Shadyacres"
Quote from: "Whooter"

Whooter, I'll bet you a million dollars they didn't vote democrat in the last election.

If they did vote democratic I think we could agree that their views do not reflect those of the democratic party.  I think where you are getting hung up is that you feel if a small subset of society votes a certain way then they represent the views of the majority.  My neighbors brother is gay and he voted Republican, but that doesnt mean that all gays are republican.  Do you see what I mean?

I think you take the same extremest view with programs in that you feel your personal experience with programs represents everyone elses when this is not true.  Because your program was abusive doesn't mean they all are.  

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 07:14:41 PM »

What I really hate is the whole big government vs. small government argument. It's not an all or nothing paradigm. There is place for both. But I sure as  @#!*%  don't trust too-big-to-fail corporations to "keep it real." Regulations and oversight are necessary.

Do Democrats even have a version of Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, or Ann Coulter to name a few? These pundits don't represent sanity, or conservatism. They are all vicious little  @#!*%  that base every argument on bellicosity instead of reason and sense. The fact they are so admired makes me think Americans are stupid twits who 1. don't read, and 2. are either bullies or 3. so impotent they have to stand under the skirts  of mean girls to feel powerful.

You go Samara.... :rofl:

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 07:42:33 PM »
Most of the Republicans I have seen or talked with are wannabe's. They have nothing in common with their Congressmen or Senators, they definitely can not relate to the Koch Bros (please don't tell me they are "Tea Baggers or Libertarians"). The Republicans represent wealth (which in and of itself, there is nothing wrong with wealth) but when you act like John D. Rockefeller and stomp on the little guy, hold him back and make it impossible for competition to flourish, well your hurting the overall job market in this country.
The real Republicans would love if the middle class would just die off, then we could be just like every other third world country. Two classes, owners and non-owners and a hue of corruption everywhere.  Oh, wait we where there 80 years ago. Remember the Hoover Dam construction Job environment. They gave you work, housing and food but never a paycheck. Republicans do not like "Unions" I bet they don't. Watch the Delta vs. Northwest debate that is going on right now. Delta has never had a union and Northwest always has had one. Delta damn near went bankrupt I don't believe Northwest ever had that problem.
I'm sorry Republicans suck the life out of everything they touch. Just watch Bill O'Reily, Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity, at the end of the show I am out of breath. I just can not believe a human being thinks as they do, I believe it is a staged act.
Trickle Down politics, shit communism is a form of economics almost exactly like Reagan's idea but you have to be able to trust the leaders (Big Business) to allow the "trickle effect".

Offline Shadyacres

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 08:02:49 PM »
Quote from: "heretik"
I'm sorry Republicans suck the life out of everything they touch. Just watch Bill O'Reily, Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity, at the end of the show I am out of breath. I just can not believe a human being thinks as they do, I believe it is a staged act.

Of course it is a staged act, one that makes them obscene amounts of money.  These clowns are cashing in on the same kind of bigoted intolerance that still supplies a steady stream of "druggies" or "troubled teens" to criminals like WWASP.  Only difference is the money Beck pulls in makes the TTI look sick by comparison, which is mind boggling to me.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 09:23:05 PM »
I ve EATEN moose chili,and it aint bad,as for god,um yeah I do believe,(JUST NOT IN YOURS),GUNS fuck yeah,own all you want.Am I a republican? Fuck no. I dont vote party line, im a registered independant, I d have no real beef with obama except that here where my ass sits,he was a senator,and he did JACKSHIT,but campaign for the whitehouse.The gap between rich and poor will grow,soon there will be no middleclass,just working poor and,non working poor,and of course the rich, I call em "the other white meat". When the shit hits the fan,its gonna make the L.A. riots look like fuckin romper room.
Read the unabombers manifesto sometime, BIG assed parts of it make a great deal of sense,well the bombing part not so much,but the message is still valid as hell.Ammunition,and the ability to produce it will be BETTER than gold. Might not happen today, and I hate to say it,but this country is goin to shit, the entirety of this culture is fuct.

I"ll vote for Sid Haig next time,or elmo, or bevis and butthead......
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 09:33:19 PM »
Seamus got me thinking about a Don Henley song, I think it is relevant to this conversation plus the comments after the lyrics.

Little Tin God

Song Title: Little Tin God
Credits: Don Henley, J.D. Souther, Danny Kortchmar
Album: The End of the Innocence
Mood:
Lyrics

A new age is dawning
On fewer than expected
Business as usual
That’s how the headline read

Some shaky modern saviors
Have now been resurrected
In all this excitement
You may have been misled

People want a miracle
They say oh lord, can’t you see us?
We’re tryin’ to make a livin’ down here
And keep the children fed

But, from little dark motel rooms
To six flags over jesus
How are the mighty fallen
So the Bible said

You don’t have to pray to a little tin god
Step out of the way for a little tin god
You might fear the reaper, you might fear the rod
But you never have to get down on your knees
You don’t have to holler, please, please
No, you never have to get down on your knees
For a little tin god

The cowboy’s name was jingo
And he knew that there was trouble
So in a blaze of glory
He rode out of the west

No one was ever certain
What it was that he was sayin’
But they loved it when he told them
They were better than the rest

But you don’t have to pray for a little tin god
You might hate to system, hate the job
For a little tin god

Throw down a rope from heaven
And lead the flock to water
The man in the middle would have you think
That you have no other choice

But to wander in the wilderness
Of all the upturned faces
If you stop and listen long enough
You will hear your own small voice

But you don’t have to pray to a little tin god
You might fear the reaper, fear the rod
You never have to get down on your knees
For a little tin god

Commentary: If you were teaching a history class about the 1980s in America, Don's The End of the Innocence album would be a great study tool. The political and social commentary on this album captures the moods and attitudes of the 80s in a musical time capsule.

Little Tin God, while commenting on society, has its roots in some of Henley's core beliefs (at least the ones he's talked about in public). The overriding theme of the song is that you need to look to yourself rather than looking at leaders who are just as human and flawed as we are. The answers are inside. This is a theme that gets repeated both in Henley's Eagles work (Learn to Be Still) and more recent Henley solo recordings (They're Not Here, They're Not Coming). In the case of Little Tin God, his commentary provides some great Henley images.

What does it mean: (Symbols & Allusions)

Little Tin God -- According to several idiomatic dictionaries, a LTG is a self-important pompous person or someone or something held in excessively or unjustifiably high esteem.

Shakey Modern Saviors -- The 1980s were full of scandals involving popular televangelists (TV preachers) who got caught doing things men of god shouldn't get caught doing. There's a great list of these men and how they lost their way at the Wikipedia. Some of these guys are singled out, though in the song.

But, from little dark motel rooms...Jimmy Swaggert was caught on film taking a prostitute to a hotel.

To six flags over Jesus This is one of my favorite Henleyisms. Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker of PTL had their huge religious empire crumple in the midst of financial and sexual scandals. One of the things that got sidelined was the Bakker's religious theme park, Heritage USA. Six Flags Over...is an American chain of Amusement parks. You can see photos of Heritage USA back when it was running and now that it has been abandoned.

How are the might fallen; so the Bible says: "Your glory, O Israel, lies slain on your heights.
       How the mighty have fallen" (2 Samuel 1:19)

The cowboy’s name was Jingo: Jingoism is a term describing chauvanistic patriotism, usually with a hawkish political stance. In plain language it means bullying other countries, or, using whatever means necessary to safeguard a country's national interests. Since this is the 80s, the cowboy is none other than Ronald Reagan (take into consideration that Reagan acted in many cowboy movies and enjoyed riding horses on his ranch in California. The verse goes on to say that the cowboy  "rode out of the West".

No one was ever certain / What it was that he was sayin’ / But they loved it when he told them /
They were better than the rest. Reagan's nickname was the Great Communicator and part of his appeal was to reconvince Americans of their greatness. Reagan reintroduced patriotism and flag waving after the 70s which President Jimmy Carter refered to as an American malaise. Reagan inspired optimism in Americans which one of the reasons he continues to be popular. Don, though, is saying that all of his pretty words covered up horrible destructive policies. So..in this song, Reagan is a Little Tin God not worthy of worship as well.

If you stop and listen long enough /You will hear your own small voice This is a common theme in Henley songs..in fact its the entire point of "Learn to Be Still". The verses that come before this line paint a picture of people looking for someone to lead them.  This man in the middle...some sort of preacher acting as an intermediary between the people and God is supposed to lead them to water. Instead, Don exhorts people to look inside for leadership. To listen to their own small voice. This idea of an inner voice can be found in both the writings of Transcendentalists like Emerson (who Henley admired) and in the Bible (And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. 1 Kings 19: 11-13)

What Don Says:

'I was looking for the big questions: why are we here, where are we going, why do good people die early. The First Baptist Church wasn't working for me, so I found Emerson and Thoreau and transcendentalism. I could see God in nature rather than in the church, listening to someone yell at me about hellfire and damnation.'

"Yeah. I've got a hard-on for Jerry Falwell and those preachers. I just finished a book called God's Bullies about those guys. I grew up a Southern Baptist and I know what it is to be scared into religion ... all that hell fire and damnation."

" Believe me, these times are just as urgent, just as dangerous, as the Sixties, and there's just as much to rally behind. Especially with Reagan telling us how America is back on track. America is NOT back on track. Peopel are still homeless, peopel are still out of work, the farmers are going out of business and we're experiencing the biggest deficit in history. A large part of the nation ahs gone back to a narrow, fundamentalist way of thinking. We think God is an American"

This all sounds familiar, right????? It should, it is still happening today almost thirty years later.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 10:32:03 PM »
? Or Perhaps Palin whose platform rests on  guns, God, moose chili, and the ability to see Russia from her back porch makes her uniquely qualified to lead?
Palin has some moments but mostly she's just fucking bonkers.  Please keep your god the hell away from my government.  See. But She's a neo-con.  She's an compromised imitator.  Ron and Ran Paul are the real deal for the most part.  Very honest guys.  They aren't perfect, but what politician is.  There are a lot of lies spread about him (one of them is in the article, IIRC).  There is the accusation of him "forcing" a woman to smoke pot** and forced her to bow down and worship "aqua buddah".

There is also the accusation that he supports segregation, when in reality, segregation used to be government mandated, and the dynamic would be different if the civil restrictions were released now (under grounds of freedom of association and private property).  The market would sort it out as nobody would want to do business with racists.  And even if racists do establish private clubs, let them, so long as they otherwise obey the law.  Even assholes have rights and people have a right to be ignorant.  Boycots, protests, lawsuits, and so forth the proper way to punish racists... Or just leave the idiots alone to be idiots.

**now tell me how that is possible.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
Quote from: "seamus"
Read the unabombers manifesto sometime, BIG assed parts of it make a great deal of sense

I'd be interested in reading some of it...anyone have a link to it?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 11:05:59 AM »
yeah,an everybody knows theres NEVER,EVER been any criminal wrongdoing or lies told by a Democrat,well ceptin not in haling,or was that not havin sexual relations with that woman,or during the kennedy camelsnot presidency,or hows about the fdr tapes or all the poor schmucks that died a peal harbor,due to a president needing popular sentiment to make war against japan, or the sinking of the "unarmed" lusitania.......can I stop now? :soapbox:

:rofl:

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
welcome to the machine
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 11:07:34 AM »
The idea of one party being any less full of shit than the other is insipid. Flip sides of the same coin.

:tup: