Author Topic: Letter to a whiny young Democrat  (Read 7099 times)

Offline heretik

• View Profile
Letter to a whiny young Democrat
« on: November 03, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/11/03/notes110310.DTL&ao=2

"Letter to a whiny young Democrat"

By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist
SFGate November 3, 2010 04:00 AM  

Oh, now you've done it.

See? You see what happens when you young liberal voters get so disgruntled and disillusioned that you drop all your party's newborn, hard-won ideas about Hope™ and Change™, without any patience, without really giving them sufficient time to mature, without understanding that hugely foreign, anti-American concept known as "the long view"?

See what happens when you wallow in hollow disappointment, trudging all over your liberal arts campus and refusing to vote in a rather important mid-term election, all because your pet issues and nubile ego weren't immediately serviced by a mesmerizing guy named Barack Obama just after he sucked you into his web of fuzzyhappy promises a mere two years ago, back when you were knee-high to a shiny liberal ideology?

Well, now you know. This is what happens: The U.S. House of Representatives, the most insufferable gaggle of political mongrels this side of, well, the rest of Congress, reverts to GOP control like a brain tumor reverts to a more aggressive form of cancer, and everything gets bleaker and sadder and, frankly, a whole lot nastier.

What happens is: Many kinds of fragmented, muddled, but still constructive Democratic progress might get stopped quite nearly dead, and even a few pieces of legislation we actually did gain get slapped around, threatened, stomped on the head like a scientist at a Rand Paul rally. Happy now?

Check it out, kiddo: This is not just any Republican party you allowed back into power; these mealy folks are not anything like the war-hungry, Bush-tainted army of flying monkeys and Dick Cheney moose knuckles you so wonderfully helped bury in the history books last election.

No, the GOP of 2010-2011 is even weirder, dumber, less interested in anything you even remotely care about; this GOP is infused like a sour cocktail with a bitter splash of the most cartoonish, climate change-denying Tea Party dingbats imaginable -- most of whom think you're an elitist, terrorist-loving, gay-supporting threat to "real" American values, btw -- all led by a guy named Boehner who wears a bizarre, shellacked tan so fake and creepy it makes Nancy Pelosi looks like a supermodel.

And you made it all happen. Or rather, you failed to prevent it from happening, by not voting, by turning your collective back on Obama's tough love, by getting all whiny and dejected like some sort of sullen teen vampire who can't get laid.

Do you deny it? Did you see the polls and studies that said that most fresh-faced, Obama-swooning Dems like you are now refusing to support our beloved Nazi Muslim president because he didn't wish-fulfill your every whim in a week? That he was, in fact, not quite the instant-gratification SuperJesus of your (or rather, our) dreams?

Of course you didn't see any of that. Hell, I bet you're not even reading this column right now. You're probably back on Twitter, raging into the Void about, hell, who knows what? The Wolf Parade concert. Angry Birds. The People of Wal-Mart. Anything but politics, really.

But hey, whatevs, right? Screw it. Screw him. After all, the prez let you down. Conveniently "forgot" to include you in the dialogue, after a major election that you helped him win. Where were the outreach programs? The campus speaking tours? Weekly appearances on "The Daily Show"? Legal pot and gay marriage and discounts tickets to SXSW and Burning Man and Coachella? I want my goddamn political perks, and I want them now.

Hey, I understand. We're an instant gratification culture, and you're an ADHD generation. Who wants to hear that serious enviro legislation might take a decade or two to fully come to fruition? Who wants to hear about Obama passing rather amazing student loan reform? Or even financial reform? Or health care, the Iraq drawdown, saving a million jobs at GM, or all the rest of his rather astonishing achievements to date? Dude, so boring.

Of course, you've now learned the hard way that the hot flush of a major election is far more electrifying than the gray n' meaty grind of actual governing. Obama flew into office on gossamer liberal wings, but the real halls of D.C. are a goddamn pigsblood slaughterhouse, brutal and depressing, full of gnarled legislative compromise. Screw that noise, you know?

And you know what? You're right. Well, sort of. The Obama administration sure as hell could've done more to keep young activists inspired and involved. It's an opportunity squandered, no question. Then again, dude was sorta busy unburying the entire nation, you know? And the twitchy Democratic party has never been known for its savvy cohesion. Maybe you can give him/them a break? Whoops, too late.

Look, I'm sorry. I know I'm being far too hard on you. Of course it's not just you. It's not completely your fault these dimwit Repubs were allowed to ooze back into a bit of power so soon. As many analysts have pointed out, this wasn't a vote for the Republicans, but against the limp-wristed Dems who didn't step up and lead with more authority and clarity of purpose. Truly, libs and independents of every age are frustrated Obama isn't governing with the same kind of magical, balls-out visionary zeal that fueled his campaign.

And let's not forget a shockingly unintelligent Tea Party movement that stands for exactly nothing and fears exactly everything, all ghost-funded by a couple of creepy libertarian oil billionaires -- the leathery old Koch brothers -- who eat their young for a snack. Who could've predicted that gnarled political contraption would hold water? But hey, when Americans are angry and nervous, they do stupid things. Like vote Republican. It happens. Just did.

But here's your big takeaway, young Dem: It ain't over yet. The 2012 election is just around the corner. If we've learned anything, it's that two years whip by insanely quickly. Anything can happen, and usually does. You'll have another chance. And probably another after that. Maybe more.

So here's what you need to know, right now: Barack Obama is, and will continue to be, a bit of goddamn miracle. He's simply as good as we're going get for an articulate, thoughtful, integrity-rich Democratic prez in your lifetime. Period. To hamstring his administration out of spite and laziness is childish and sad. Check the accomplishments. Understand the process. Deal with the messiness.

It will never be perfect. It will never be giddy liberal nirvana, because it doesn't work that way. Politics is corrosive and infuriating, de facto and by definition, even with someone as thoughtful as Obama in the Big Chair. Understand it. Deal with it. Get back in the game. If you don't, we all lose.

Your choice, kiddo.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z14FGrxN4u

Very well thought out and written. Tells it like it is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Shadyacres

• View Profile
Re: Letter to a whiny young Democrat
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
I agree, well said.  I think that because many of Obama's voters were younger, they are still rather impressionable.  They succumbed to the unrelenting and heavily funded onslaught of advertising and propaganda. I am hoping that in two years they will have realized how they were duped and they will be ANGRY.  NOTHING will happen in the next two years, period.  The republican controlled house will now set about trying to undo the small amount of progress the Obama administration has made so far.  They will fail, Obama has the veto, so, gridlock.

I don't see how anyone here, with the exception of Whooter, would EVER vote republican.  The Reagan's and the entire Bush family shilled for Straight and its descendants, and were handsomely rewarded by the industry in campaign contributions.  WWASP was a major contributor to Mitt Romney.  Republicans, more than Democrats, seem to believe that the end justifies the means, just like the programs we were all in.  They, as a party, believe in torturing people, spying on their own citizens, legislating their own version of morality, waging wars on false pretenses to obtain optimal position for oil acquisition, etc.....
How much money has Dick Cheney's old company Halliburton made off of that illegal war?  

The Democrats may be lame, but I don't think they are outright criminal as a rule.  I cannot say that about Republicans.

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »
Quote from: "Shadyacres"
I agree, well said.  I think that because most of Obama's voters were younger, they are still rather impressionable.  They succumbed to the unrelenting and heavily funded onslaught of advertising and propaganda. I am hoping that in two years they will have realized how they were duped and they will be ANGRY.  NOTHING will happen in the next two years, period.  The republican controlled house will now set about trying to undo the small amount of progress the Obama administration has made so far.  They will fail, Obama has the veto, so, gridlock.

I don't see how anyone here, with the exception of Whooter, would EVER vote republican.  The Reagan's and the entire Bush family shilled for Straight and its descendants, and were handsomely rewarded by the industry in campaign contributions.  WWASP was a major contributor to Mitt Romney.  Republicans, more than Democrats, seem to believe that the end justifies the means, just like the programs we were all in.  They, as a party, believe in torturing people, spying on their own citizens, legislating their own version of morality, waging wars on false pretenses to obtain optimal position for oil acquisition, etc.....
How much money has Dick Cheney's old company Halliburton made off of that illegal war?  

The Democrats may be lame, but I don't think they are outright criminal as a rule.  I cannot say that about Republicans.

Well then I'll say it for you, the Republicans are outright criminals and liars. It will take another 2 years for the people to wake up again. I just hope they stop thinking the Prez is "GOD" and he grants prayers on a whim.
Sorry, for being so forward.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 04:09:11 PM »
yeah,an everybody knows theres NEVER,EVER been any criminal wrongdoing or lies told by a Democrat,well ceptin not in haling,or was that not havin sexual relations with that woman,or during the kennedy camelsnot presidency,or hows about the fdr tapes or all the poor schmucks that died a peal harbor,due to a president needing popular sentiment to make war against japan, or the sinking of the "unarmed" lusitania.......can I stop now? :soapbox:
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:12:35 PM »
polititians are by very nature,liars. The idea of one party being any less full of shit than the other is insipid. Flip sides of the same coin.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Shadyacres

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »
Quote from: "seamus"
polititians are by very nature,liars. The idea of one party being any less full of shit than the other is insipid. Flip sides of the same coin.

Do you advocate the violent overthrow of the U.S. Govt.?  Because that is the only way around politics, brute force.  And your way will not be everybody's way, so what do you do?  Endless revolution?  Why not just move to Cuba?  We are stuck with politics if we want to be civilized people so we will always be faced with choosing the lesser of two evils.  It was not widely known what Roosevelt had done for decades.  What might we find out about the Bush administration, decades from now?  I have eyes, and Republicans, to me, especially at this point in history, walk, talk and act like criminals.

Offline Shadyacres

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 06:30:34 PM »
Some of what we are up against;

http://www.antifascistencyclopedia.com/ ... ug-addicts

These people are evil.

Offline Stonewall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »
Quote from: "heretik"
I agree, well said.  I think that because most of Obama's voters were younger, they are still rather impressionable.  They succumbed to the unrelenting and heavily funded onslaught of advertising and propaganda. I am hoping that in two years they will have realized how they were duped and they will be ANGRY.  NOTHING will happen in the next two years, period.  The republican controlled house will now set about trying to undo the small amount of progress the Obama administration has made so far.  They will fail, Obama has the veto, so, gridlock.

Well then I'll say it for you, the Republicans are outright criminals and liars. It will take another 2 years for the people to wake up again. I just hope they stop thinking the Prez is "GOD" and he grants prayers on a whim.
Sorry, for being so forward.

Wake Up, again?

Yep... cause like they were awake.

What were they awake about?

Eventually reality hits home. Don't wait for them to wake up again...OK?

You have to wait for the memory to erase itself and then... 20 years from now idiots will reign once more.

You can only fool people once.

Offline Stonewall

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 06:47:27 PM »
Some of what we are up against;

http://www.antifascistencyclopedia.com/ ... ug-addicts

These people are evil.

No way... Universal Health Care is a good thing.

The National Government loves you...

Big Smiley here.

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 06:51:13 PM »
Quote from: "seamus"

Can not argue with you, you are right, they all lie.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »
I think that Obama is still campaigning and trying to get people on his side.  He has short changed the American Public and failed to roll up his sleeves and get to work.  At least Bush didnt care about what people thought of him and did what he thought was the best for the country (not himself).  He knew he was hated but continued to lead and not get caught up in the negative press.

The democrats are needed, I agree, they add balance and come in once a decade and add some needed programs (Which allow people like Shadyacres to make it through another few years without contributing to society), make television appearances, sleep with a few young interns and look us all in the face and tell us lies.  Then the public remember who does all the work and keeps us all safe and they vote the Democrats out.

Its a cycle that is needed and will continue for decades to come unless we can find some people who are willing to build a third party that has credibility and funding.

Offline Shadyacres

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 09:45:21 PM »
I don't need anyone's help to not contribute to society.  I have a job on one of Obama's death panels.  Failed to roll up his sleeves and get to work?  I'll post this again;

http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 10:05:31 PM »
I don't need anyone's help to not contribute to society.  I have a job on one of Obama's death panels.  Failed to roll up his sleeves and get to work?  I'll post this again;

http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

Good work Shadyacres.....thanks.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 10:33:01 PM »
I agree, well said.  I think that because many of Obama's voters were younger, they are still rather impressionable.  They succumbed to the unrelenting and heavily funded onslaught of advertising and propaganda. I am hoping that in two years they will have realized how they were duped and they will be ANGRY.  NOTHING will happen in the next two years, period.  The republican controlled house will now set about trying to undo the small amount of progress the Obama administration has made so far.  They will fail, Obama has the veto, so, gridlock.

I don't see how anyone here, with the exception of Whooter, would EVER vote republican.

Are you kidding me.  I'll vote republican if it's for somebody like Ron Paul or his son, Rand.  Otherwise i'll vote libertarian.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 10:05:30 AM »
If the Republicans actually stuck to what they're supposed to stand for, I'd probably be a Republican.  But they don't. I'm fiscally conservative but socially liberal.  This "us v. them" mindset is killing the country.  Ever since Reagan's "trickle down" fiasco,  ::)  it's been nothing but the rich getting richer at the expense of the middle class and poor.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/6/29 ... -Americans

Proof:  Trickle Down Didn't Help, It Harmed 90% of Americans

by War on Error
Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 07:03:13 AM PDT

Here's another tool to put in your arsenal to dispel the GOP disinformation.  FACTS.

The 2001-2007 expansion outperformed the average post-World War II expansion in only one area:  

Corporate profits, which grew much more rapidly than average.

The evidence on the 2001-2007 expansion provides no support for the claim that the tax cuts generated especially robust economic growth.

http://www.cbpp.org/...

For more proof that the GOP touted wonder of Trickle Down was bad for wages and jobs, drop and check out the chart.  Worst period for workers since WWII!

Please keep chipping away at the conservatives and, more importantly, the independents.  Email, facebook, go viral.  There are more people than you think that can be persuaded.

* War on Error's diary :: ::

For six of the seven indicators, the average annual growth rate between 2001 and 2007 was below the average growth rate for the comparable periods of other post-World War II economic expansions.  

Notably, this expansion was among the weakest since World War II with respect to both overall economic growth and growth in fixed non-residential investment.  These two indicators should have captured any positive “growth effects” of the tax cuts.

The labor market also was weaker during the 2001-2007 expansion.  Both employment growth and wage and salary growth were weaker during this expansion as a whole than in any prior expansion since the end of World War II.

The 2001-2007 expansion outperformed the average post-World War II expansion in only one area:  corporate profits, which grew much more rapidly than average.

http://www.cbpp.org/...

During this same period the top 1% of Americans enjoyed the same huge gains in income of 70% they did in the 1920s.  Is it any wonder our present Depression.....ahem...Recession looks just like it did in the 1930s?

Piketty and Saez’s unique data series on income inequality, based on IRS files, is particularly valuable because it provides detailed information on income gains at the top of the income scale and extends back to 1913.

The new data show:

2007 marked the fifth straight year in which income gains at the top outpaced those among the rest of the population. From 2002 to 2007, the average inflation-adjusted income of the top 1 percent of households rose 62 percent, compared to 4 percent for the bottom 90 percent of households (see Table 1).

So, once again the FACTS dispel the LIES.  Trickle down was a ruse to enrich the top 1% of our population.

This article  is one of the most complete and frankest articles on the debacle we are in I have found to date.

Grand Theft America
by Stephen Lendman
http://baltimorechronicle.com/...

GET THE FACTS ABOUT TRICKLE DOWN OUT THERE so the lies can be dispelled, and people can see the facts for themselves.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa