Author Topic: Do Survivors Lie: Part Two (Why The Abused Lie)  (Read 7559 times)

Offline heretik

• View Profile
Do Survivors Lie: Part Two (Why The Abused Lie)
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:50:08 AM »
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:57:35 PM by heretik »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Do Survivors Lie: Part Two (Why The Abused Lie)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 08:24:40 PM »
There is that Danny Bennison guy, he's always lying about his survivor experiences. Maybe you should ask him about it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Son Of Serbia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:34:17 AM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
There is that Danny Bennison guy, he's always lying about his survivor experiences. Maybe you should ask him about it?

Great example!  There's also John Reuben aka Whooter: he lied about having a son who was a program survivor, presumably to lend false credibility to his own arguments supporting
parents who sent their kids to abusive programs.  Maybe you should ask him about that.

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »
Some people who were abused in teen treatment programs became so brainwashed that they lie to protect the program even years after they get out. People like Danny Bennison and Max-it are excellent examples of this. Max/suckit very passionately defended these programs, denied abuse allegations and preached about how successful the programs are. As we know now, Max-it was lying about all that. He admitted to being a shameless liar and dope-fiend in his goodbye post. Danny Bennison lies to promote programs even though he was abused at Elan. Ask him why, cause I can't figure that one out. So why do some ex-treatment center inmates lie to protect their precious program instead of admitting to the abuse? Stockholm Syndrome would be my guess.

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 05:04:12 PM »
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:58:02 PM by heretik »

Offline Gonzotherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 05:37:26 PM »
I myself believed for several years that the program was helpful and that the only ones who suffered were the ones who had no desire to better themselves. I am curious if anyone has a link to the story 20/20 did back around '98 on the WWASPS program in Paradise Cove. One of the people interviewed was Sergio Alva, I was there with Sergio and I want to see if he was truthful about his stay there. I never got a chance to see the episode and I heard it was banned in the U.S. (gotta love our freedom of speech).

Anywho, my question is this. The people who got the worst of it were already in a bad position IMO. They were horribly abused by the programs and definitely were worse after they got out than when they showed up. If they are embellishing or lying about what went on, how responsible are the people or the program that inflicted the torture. IMO, some of these cats seriously lost their minds while they were there, so maybe they are broken now to the point of no return. Torture can make people delusional, and I think in some of these cases that is exactly what is happening. When you have lost a grip on reality how can you be lying?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 10:41:19 AM »
Obviously, many kids are forced by the program to lie.  If they don't lie and say everything is peachy, they're being helped, treated humanely, etc, they get punished until they learn to lie about their treatment in order to avoid the punishment they receive when they tell the truth.  Lying is induced by the program and becomes routine.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 11:00:40 AM »
It seems many here agree that Survivors lie.  So moving past the question of "If they lie" for a minute.  We are starting to see many people here blame the programs for their dishonest behavior which touches upon the issue of "Why the abused lie".

Offline DKincaidCFS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »
I'm glad to see that all have reached consensus that kids who went to "programs" were in fact abused.  Abuse victims often lie about their abuse and their abusers.  This is a well-established psychological pehnomenon.  

I think it's more important to get to the root of the issue, however:  "Why do programs abuse children in their care"?  I think this would help to answer the question of "why the abused lie."

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 11:30:19 AM »
Quote from: "DKincaidCFS"
Abuse victims often lie about their abuse and their abusers.

This throws a lot of questions on the table as to why the child lies and which part of their story is true and which is false.  If a child says they were kidnapped, starved, beaten, forced to walk 100's of miles without water, sleep deprived.... etc.  which one of these would be the truth and which ones are the lies.  Or would we never know?

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 11:36:19 AM »
I'm glad to see that all have reached consensus that kids who went to "programs" were in fact abused.  Abuse victims often lie about their abuse and their abusers.  This is a well-established psychological pehnomenon.  

I think it's more important to get to the root of the issue, however:  "Why do programs abuse children in their care"?  I think this would help to answer the question of "why the abused lie."

When I first got out I lied to make sure I wasn't sent back into that hellhole.  Here, I haven't lied about anything that I've said was done either to me or others in Straight.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline DKincaidCFS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 11:39:46 AM »
Victims of abuse often lie.  Usually they lie to minimize the abuse or protect their abusers.  

As a rule of thumb, I would be inclined to believe that, whatever a child tells about how they were abused, it was likely worse than their retelling.  Abused children are not generally malingerers.  In fact, it is usually the opposite.  

So when I hear a child's claims of abuse, I am inclined to not only believe them, but to seek out additional facts about the abuse because children often make it seem less harmful, damaging or extensive than it actually was.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

When I first got out I lied to make sure I wasn't sent back into that hellhole.  Here, I haven't lied about anything that I've said was done either to me or others in Straight.

Thank you. The whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I bear no ill will to the OP, but this thread seems unnecessarily apologetic; there is no need to kow-tow to program supporters with threads like this one, as if survivors needed to. Just because someone starts a thread entitled "Why Survivors Need To Lie" or whatever it was called does not mean we have to counter that bullshit with explanation. That just plays into it. I've been on this board for several years, and never had reason to doubt a survivor's testimony here. My experience has shown that it is the programs that cover-up, fabricate, and generally lie their asses off in effort to keep the machine going.

There is no need for survivors to "embellish," the truth is bad enough as it is....and ftr, I have no respect for a survivor who makes shit up, whatever their intention.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 12:23:35 PM »
No different then a wife who says, "I walked into a door." When asked how she got her black eye. Sometimes people will cover up their abuse out of fear of further retribution. The fact of the matter is though that no one has any need to lie about being abused in these places. The truth is bad enough. That reason is exactly why Whooter has been unable to provide a post showing a survivor actually lying about being abused. None exist.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 01:33:32 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Thank you. The whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I bear no ill will to the OP, but this thread seems unnecessarily apologetic; there is no need to kow-tow to program supporters with threads like this one, as if survivors needed to. Just because someone starts a thread entitled "Why Survivors Need To Lie" or whatever it was called does not mean we have to counter that bullshit with explanation. That just plays into it. I've been on this board for several years, and never had reason to doubt a survivor's testimony here. My experience has shown that it is the programs that cover-up, fabricate, and generally lie their asses off in effort to keep the machine going.

There is no need for survivors to "embellish," the truth is bad enough as it is....and ftr, I have no respect for a survivor who makes shit up, whatever their intention.

Exactly!  And that's exactly why they title the threads that way.  It assumes that survivors are lying about being abused and that's what they want the readers to believe.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa