Author Topic: Bullying suicide rates on the rise  (Read 10375 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2010, 12:11:49 AM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Quote from: "DannyB II"
I'm telling ya....Poe's law.  It's scary when you can't tell the satirical posts from the ones who truly feel this way.

All of us get it.

From the way you write, I seriously doubt you "get" much of anything.   Which is probably why you're in constant search of some fucking guru to tell you how to lead your life.

Sad part boys, she really believes she is ahead. Winning.  :rofl:

Winning what?   What the hell are you talking about?

:rofl:  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: Bullying suicide rates on the rise
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2010, 12:13:08 AM »
Quote from: "Deprogrammed"
Quote from: "Froderik"
Be proud to be gay, my friend.

Ford, if that was aimed at me..Thanks for that. -DP- and if it wasn't ...thanks for saying that to someone else period. :)

It wasn't, but you're welcome anyway!

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »
Some good news on the bullying front.  After the assholes that tormented this poor girl.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/lo ... een-edward

Toy Store Shopping Spree for Kathleen Edward

Updated: Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010, 10:25 AM EDT

Trenton, MI

myFOXDetoit.com Staff - The story of a family's attempts to taunt a little girl who is dying of Huntington's Disease , a rare degenerative brain disorder, has sparked a chain reaction around the world.

Jennifer Petkov created a photo of 7-year-old Kathleen Edward's face as part of a 'skull and crossbones' and then posted it on Facebook.  She posted another doctored photo of Kathleen's mother, Laura Edward, wrapped in the arms of the grim reaper.

Jennifer's husband Scott Petkov parked a pick up truck with messages of death painted on the side of it and a coffin in the back, in front of Kathleen's house. (What. The. Fuck?????)   :flame:

All this over a neighhorhood (sic) dispute between the Petkov's and Kathleen's grandmother, Becky Rose.

The couple has since apologized , removed the Facebook posts, dismantled the coffin and painted over the truck.

Since the story was aired on Fox 2 News and published on this web site, support for Kathleen and her family has come from all over the world.

Hans Masing of Tree Town Toys in Ann Arbor has raised more than $9,000 for a shopping spree for Kathleen.  Some of the money donated coming as far away as Japan, Australia and Europe.  Any money that Kathleen does not spend will go toward local childrens hospitals.

Play the video to see smiles from Kathleen and to get a complete update on this story from Fox 2's Amy Lange.

A rally for Kathleen Edward is planned for Saturday, Oct. 23 from 3 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. at Haas Park in Trenton.  Information, click here .

Edited to add...

Original story here.  You've got to see the video of this piece of shit "defending" her actions.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/th ... in-trenton

Parents: Dying Girl, 7, Taunted by Neighbors in Trenton

Updated: Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010, 12:49 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 07 Oct 2010, 11:56 PM EDT

TRENTON, Mich. - Her family says 7-year-old Kathleen Edward is in the final stages of a degenerative brain disorder diagnosed as Huntington's Disease - the same disease which killed her mother, Laura, when she was only 24.

Neighbors Jennifer and Scott Petkov, who have been feuding with the family, admitted to posting grim depictions of Laura and Kathleen on Facebook.  One photo depicts Laura in the arms of the grim reaper, while the other features Kathleen's face above a set of crossbones.

The couple also have a coffin hitched to a pick-up truck in front of the house, which they say is nothing more than a halloween decoration.

Click on the video player hear the Petkov's admit to posting the photos and watch the full orignal story from FOX 2's Ron Savage.

New 10/11: Turning Negative into Positive, Shopping Spree for Kathleen, click here .

New 10/8: Jennifer Petkov apologizes, click here .

Play the second video in the story for an update from Fox 2's Amy Lange to hear an apology made by Scott Petkov  ( click here for Amy's full story )

Police responded to the public feud Thursday, but no arrests were made.

The big question: why would someone do this?  Police tell Ron Savage they have been called to this street before, dealing with long-standing "family-feud" issues.

A member of Kathleen's family says the bad blood started about two-years ago after the two families had a falling out over a birthday party at the Rose house.  At the party kids were using a "bounce-house" and playing games in the front yard.  The source says that Jennifer Petkov texted someone in the Rose family, asking if her kids could come to the event.  A response to the text did not come quickly enough and it angered Jennifer.  According to the Rose family, she's been harassing them ever since.

A rally for Kathleen Edward has been planned for Saturday, Oct. 23 from 3 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. at Haas Park in Trenton.  CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION

The invitation reads: "She has been tormented by sadistic neighbors. Please come and join us in showing Kathleen there are good people that care."
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2010, 04:24:10 PM »
These people are fucking sick. Instead of trying to comfort you neighbors. at a time like this,or at the very least just keep your mouth shut, to go out and attack a dying little girl.Somebody pissed in that gene pool.
?©?€~¥@

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2010, 10:07:06 AM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
These people are fucking sick. Instead of trying to comfort you neighbors. at a time like this,or at the very least just keep your mouth shut, to go out and attack a dying little girl.Somebody pissed in that gene pool.

Yup and it looks like the neighbors are still at it.  Fucking bitch in that original video needs her ass kicked.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index ... _taun.html

Grandmother of dying girl taunted by neighbor in Trenton: Only resolution is 'for one of us to move'
Published: Wednesday, October 13, 2010, 9:31 AM     Updated: Wednesday, October 13, 2010, 9:41 AM

For months, Kathleen Edward was bullied by two adults in Trenton.  Now, the 7-year-old is receiving support from thousands of adults all around the world.

"We can't express how grateful we are," Robert Edward said Tuesday on Fox 2, responding to more than $10,000 in donations that will help provide a "dream trip" and toy store shopping spree for his daughter, who is dying of Huntingon's Disease. "This is just amazing."

Kathleen's story went viral last week after neighbor Jennifer Petkov admitted in a Fox 2 interview she posted an image to Facebook depicting Kathleen's face set above crossbones and another of her mother, who died of the same degenerative brain disease, in the arms of the grim reaper.  

Why?

"Because it burns their asses," Petkov said.  "Because it burns Rebecca Rose's ass."

Petkov and her husband later apologized after they received death threats, had their house egged and started receiving unwanted pizza deliveries.  

Rose, who is Kathleen's grandmother, joined Robert Edward on Fox 2 Monday to discuss the apology, the history of the neighborhood dispute and the public reaction.  Check out the full video in the player above or read a few highlights below.

* On the background: "It all started about two or three years ago," Rose said.  "We had a birthday party for my youngest daughter, who is handicapped, and (Petkov) wanted her kids to come over. She texted my other daughter to ask if they could come over.  Well, my other daughter didn't text her back in time, and I went outside and she was on her porch ranting and raving that she didn't want her kids coming to play with these 'f-ing retards'anyway.  And it's just totally escalated from there."

* On the apology: "It didn't even sound sincere," said Robert Edward. "...I honestly just believe they were scared and they just didn't want the attention anymore."

* On recent contact with Petkov: "The way she reached out is when she was going from her car screaming 'I don't give an f who's dying,'" said Rose.  "...I don't want nothing to do with her. I haven't said anything to her. But I honestly believe the only way this is going to get resolved is for one of us to move."

Kathleen, who the family has tried to keep out of the media spotlight as much as possible, on Thursday will travel to Ann Arbor by limo, where Tree Town Toys owner Hans Masing will host a red-carpet shopping spree.  From there, she'll head to C.S. Mott Children's Hospital where she will give thousands of donated toys to other sick children.

Separately, supporters are planning a rally for Kathleen on Oct. 23 at Hass Park in Trenton.  Click here for more information.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2010, 10:34:09 AM »
Much more indepth article at Daily Mail (why is that anyway?)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rds-7.html

'I can't wait until you die': Outrage at American couple's breathtakingly cruel taunts at terminally ill seven-year-old girl

By David Gardner
Last updated at 12:36 PM on 11th October 2010

* Youngster's face superimposed over crossbones
    * 100,000 take to Facebook to blast 'Devil of Detroit St'
    * Feud began two years ago over lack of invite to birthday party

An American husband and wife have been branded the most heartless couple in the U.S. after taunting the family of a seven-year-old girl who is dying from an incurable disease.

Scott and Jennifer Petkov's despicable behaviour has caused outrage across the country after they posted a photo of terminally ill schoolgirl Kathleen Edwards on Facebook above a set of crossed bones.

Little Kathleen is in the final stages of Huntington’s disease – the same wasting illness that her mother, Laura, died from last year at the age of 24.

In another incredibly cruel taunt, Mrs Petkov also put a picture of the girl’s dead mother in the arms of the Grim Reaper online.

After Laura Edwards died last year, the Petkovs also allegedly drove their truck – which bears the message ‘Death Machine’ and has a coffin attached to it – down the street and honked the horn.

The sick attacks are the culmination of a long-running and increasingly bitter feud between the Petkovs and a number of neighbours in Trenton, Michigan that have raged over the past couple of years.

Neighbours accused the couple of laughing and poking fun at Laura Edwards and her daughter because of their disease, a progressive neurological disorder that causes involuntary writhing movements.

A Facebook page was set up identifying Jennifer Petkov as the ‘Devil of Detroit Street’ and an online petition describing the couple as ‘disgusting human beings’ was aiming to collect 100,000 names.

The story has also gone viral - causing people from around the world, including Britain and Germany, to send messages of support to Kathleen's family.

The dying girl’s father Robert Edwards appealed to the Petkov family: ‘Just leave us alone; that’s all we want. Don’t make any more comments about our  daughter.’

Mr Edwards, 26, said it has been tough enough caring for his family.

‘You have to understand how angry we are,’ he told the Detroit News.

‘The police told us they were shocked that we haven’t gone over there and beat the hell out of her.

'But there’s more important things to deal with, like our daughter. She’s hanging in there. We have hospice at our home every week, and that’s a lot to deal with on its own.’

Kathleen’s stepmother, Gabrielle Edward, said the feud started two years ago.

‘Kathleen’s grandmother had a birthday party, and Jennifer sent a message asking if her kids could come over to play,' she said.

But the grandmother, Rebecca Rose, did not respond to the text quickly enough, she said. 'That's where it all started.'

Asked why she escalated the ugly feud, Jennifer Petkov said it was for 'personal satisfaction' and 'because it burns Rebecca Rose's a** raw.'

Mrs Edwards, 19, said they have tried to shield Kathleen from the taunts.

‘She’s seen some of this stuff, but we’re doing our best to try and keep her away from it. When the truck would pull up, we’d immediately take her inside to play,’ she added.

She said Kathleen, a third-grader, is having a tough time with her illness.

‘She’s having seizures. It’s hard enough to deal with without all this other stuff. I’ll tell you what: I’m taking this a lot better than my husband is.’

Family friend Michelle Yerigian, 42, said: ‘I don’t understand how people could spew such hatred. They would pull up in the truck with the coffin attached, rev up the engine, and say to Kathleen, "I can’t wait until you die."

‘When I saw what she posted on Facebook, I almost threw up. I’m totally dumbfounded.’

Kathleen’s family have been contacted by dozens of people after a video report of the story went viral on the internet.

‘They have heard from people from the UK, Germany, Minnesota - it’s incredible,’ said Mrs Yerigian, who has organized a rally in support of Kathleen on October 23.

‘This isn’t about trying to get revenge. We’re telling people not to do anything stupid,’ she said.

Mrs Petkov, 33, tried to make amends by apologising yesterday. She said she would walk right across the street and tell the Edwards family herself if a restraining order hadn’t been issued against her  by a local court.

Protected: Kathleen's father and step-mother are doing their best to shield the little girl from the taunts

Protected: Kathleen's father and step-mother are doing their best to shield the little girl from the taunts

‘What I did was ignorant and wrong,’ she admitted.

'I’m not proud of myself because this went from a neighbourhood dispute to a huge thing.'

Mrs Petkov’s husband, Scott, 30, told the Detroit News that his wife’s ‘brutal honesty’ has caused his family to ‘not get along with a lot of people.’

(Said "brutally honest" ::)  bitch.....)    

He said the fallout of the Facebook posting resulted in his suspension with pay from his job as a forklift repairman in nearby Warren.

He said his employer is considering firing him.

The eldest of the Petkovs’ four children was also sent home from school after getting into an argument with a classmate who confronted him about the Internet photos, said the couple.

‘My husband is a good person and I hope he doesn’t lose his job. I hope our family doesn’t lose his job. I’m the bad person,’ said Mrs Petkov.

‘I feel horrible for what I’ve said and done. That little girl shouldn’t have had to lose her mum like that and she shouldn’t have to lose her life either. I just hope she didn’t see those pictures.’

Mrs Petkov’s Facebook posting has now been removed.

But there could still be serious repercussions for the couple.

Maria Miller, spokeswoman for Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy, said, ‘We have contacted the Trenton Police Department to look into the allegations.’

Trenton Deputy Police Chief James Nardone said the problems between the two families have been ongoing. ‘We’re aware of the situation and are looking into it,’ he said.

Edited to add......Someone's been busy already!   :seg:

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2010, 11:22:10 AM »
I know, I know, enuff.....but this story really got to me.

Hans Masing of Tree Town Toys in Ann Arbor has raised more than $9,000 (I think it's well over that now) for a shopping spree for Kathleen. Some of the money donated coming as far away as Japan, Australia and Europe. Any money that Kathleen does not spend will go toward local childrens hospitals.  

From some of the Fark comments.  Good to hear.

Carth          2010-10-12 02:18:21 PM      
And he is donating 10% of the total amount raised in cash to the family. That will cancel out almost anything he'd make.

LiveStalk        2010-10-12 02:10:12 PM
Pretty sure the dude with the toy store is making them pay cost for the toys, so he wont be making anything off of it. He also has gotten several other business to donate toys to the local hospital, a free limo ride for Kathleen to go deliver the toys, and a free lunch for ~25 people (Kathleen, her family, friends, and whatnot.)

hailin  [recently expired TotalFark]       2010-10-12 01:57:54 PM
Actually the guy brought three $100+ toys from his store to the girl and her sister. He also arranged a limo to take them to the store, lunch at a nice fancy place after her shopping spree, and is cutting a check straight to the dad for 10% of whatever is raised ($1200 check so far). She gets to have an awesomely fun day and lots of sick kids get to have their day brightened too.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2010, 01:28:44 PM »
If this has been simply because of her bullying, I'd have been upset and saying that the gov't, yet again, overstepped it's bounds (although it does make you question her parenting if she'd do what she did to that poor little girl).  But it's not because of the bullying.....it's because she's a crazy bitch who tried to run over another neighbor with her car.  I gotta admit....I'm glad to see this bitch getting shit.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index ... d_o_1.html

Report: Trenton woman accused of taunting dying 7-year-old loses custody of children
Published: Friday, October 22, 2010, 9:07 AM     Updated: Friday, October 22, 2010, 9:26 AM

It's been a rough month for Jennifer Petkov. The 33-year-old Trenton woman accused of bullying 7-year-old Kathleen Edward lost custody of two of her children this week, according to Fox 2.

The television station reports a Wayne County Probate Court judge has ruled Petkov's eight-year-old daughter and five-year-old son should live with their father until further notice.

The father, who had a relationship with Petkov prior to her current marriage, filed for an emergency hearing shortly after Petkov made national headlines by admitting on camera that she posted disturbing images on Facebook of Kathleen, who is in the final stages of Huntington's Disease, and her mother, who died of the degenerative brain condition.

The story went viral and Petkov soon found herself and her home the target of death threats, broken eggs and unwanted pizza deliveries. Last week, she allegedly tried to run over another neighbor, Tana Boling with her car.  She was arraigned on felonious assault and reckless driving charges, but her attorney said video evidence contradicts Boling's story.

Meanwhile, the outpouring of local and international support continues for Kathleen. Thousands of people are expected to gather Saturday at Elizabeth Park in Trenton for a rally in her honor.  Separately, boxing promoter Joe Donofrio will host the Edward family next weekend at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Video at link above.

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2010, 05:14:33 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/parent ... 6_ST_N.htm
Bullying survey: Most teens have hit someone out of anger

Source: The Josephson Institute of Ethics, 2010
Bullying survey: Most teens have hit someone out of anger

Justin Aaberg, hanged himself in his room in July 2010. His friends told his mother he'd been a frequent target of bullies mocking his sexual orientation.

About 28% of high school students say it is sometimes OK to hit or threaten a person who makes them angry:

By Anne Godlasky, USA TODAY
Source: Josephson Institute of Ethics survey of 42,000 high school students from 78 public and 22 private schools

By Sharon Jayson, USA TODAY
Half of U.S. high schoolers say they have bullied or teased someone at least once in the past year, and nearly half say they have been bullied in that time, one of the largest studies ever on bullying finds.

The study, to be released today, surveyed 43,321 teens ages 15 to 18, from 78 public and 22 private schools. It finds 50% said they had "bullied, teased or taunted someone at least once," and 47% had been "bullied, teased or taunted in a way that seriously upset me at least once."

QUIZ: Is your child being bullied?
OR: Is your child the bully?
PARENTING, PART II: Is your teen depressed?

The survey findings are from the Ethics of American Youth Survey by the Josephson Institute of Ethics, a non-profit based in Los Angeles that has surveyed teens on conduct and behavior every two years since 1992. This is the first time it has reported on bullying.

The survey is the largest the group has done and is much larger than others on bullying, says president Michael Josephson.

It also found that in the past 12 months:

•52% of students have hit someone in anger.

•28% (37% of boys, 19% of girls) say it's OK to hit or threaten a person who angers them.

"There's a tremendous amount of anger out there," Josephson says.

The survey also looked at other behaviors:

•60% of students said they had "cheated on a test," and 34% did so twice or more. Students at non-religious private schools cited the lowest percentage (33%) while 56% at religious schools said they cheated.

•27% of students said they "stole something from a store."

GAY TEENS: Suicides prompt 'It Gets Better' movement
BULLYING: It can devastate lives until victims find ways to cope
SUICIDES: Ad campaign fights 3rd cause of death in 15- to 24-year-olds

For those who study bullying, the data are "absolutely surprising and appalling," says Darcia Narvaez, associate professor of psychology at the University of Notre Dame (Ind.), whose work focuses on young people's moral and character development.

Sally Kuykendall, assistant professor of health services at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia, has studied bullying for almost a decade. She says kids are getting the message that "if you have a problem, you deal with it through violence. When children are exposed to violence, they're going to think that's the way to handle problems."

Kuykendall says media violence and domestic violence play a role in such attitudes.

Narvaez also points to child-rearing practices. Her research has found that children today often don't get enough "positive touch" in the form of skin-to-skin contact, which she says promotes well-being, a moral sense and more empathy. She says parents are holding their kids less than in the past and instead rely more on strollers and carriers.

"Self-regulation is affected by all these things," she says.

The 2010 study was completed last month, based on responses compiled in the first half of this year. The margin of error is plus or minus 1 percentage point.

Because the questions are identical to those from 2008, Josephson says, none of the questions in 2008 or 2010 directly asked about cyberbullying. He says such questions will be part of the next survey.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: "Bullying survey: Most teens have hit someone..."
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2010, 06:13:45 PM »
Ah, the "Character Counts!" people... aka corporation-friendly propagandists for the "manufacturing of consent." You can find some info on them in the Hyde forum.

Btw, heretik, the publication date for that article was today. I wasn't able to find it in your copy-paste; perhaps I did not look hard enough...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline heretik

• View Profile
Re: "Bullying survey: Most teens have hit someone..."
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Ah, the "Character Counts!" people... aka corporation-friendly propagandists for the "manufacturing of consent." You can find some info on them in the Hyde forum.

Btw, heretik, the publication date for that article was today. I wasn't able to find it in your copy-paste; perhaps I did not look hard enough...

I posted the link I got it from, The USA Today Paper for October 26, 2010.
Here is the link again from my post above^ http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/parent ... 6_ST_N.htm.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2010, 01:44:40 PM »
http://wsapi34.g.ent.ac4.yahoo.com/news ... hool_board

Ark. board member who posted anti-gay rant to quit

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – The head of an anti-bullying group has applauded the decision of an Arkansas school board member to resign after posting on Facebook that he thinks gay youths should kill themselves.

Clint McCance, a member of the Midland school board in Pleasant Plains, about 70 miles northeast of Little Rock, announced his resignation Thursday night on CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360." He said he was quitting "to help my school, my community," though he added that he might run again for the board at some point.

"The only thing I can do is extend my apologies for my poor speech," he said. "I don't wish death on anyone."

McCance had scoffed in a Facebook posting at a campaign asking supporters to wear purple Oct. 20 to show solidarity after several gay and lesbian youths killed themselves, reportedly because of bullying.

"Seriously they want me to wear purple because five queers killed themselves," McCance wrote. "The only way im wearin it for them is if they all commit suicide. I cant believe the people of this world have gotten this stupid. We are honoring the fact that they sinned and killed thereselves because of their sin."

In a follow-up response to Facebook users who criticized his comments, McCance wrote that he liked that gay people "can't procreate (and) I also enjoy the fact that they often give each other AIDS and die."

Jowharah Sanders, founder and executive director of the anti-bullying group National Voices for Equality, Education, and Enlightenment, told The Associated Press that she was glad McCance was resigning because that means his sentiments will no longer represent authority in his community.

Several gay rights groups had condemned the Facebook posting, including the Human Rights Campaign, which launched its own Facebook page calling for McCance's resignation.

McCance did not respond to a phone message left Thursday by The Associated Press at his carpet cleaning business, and there was no answer at a number listed for his home.

In his interview on CNN, McCance said the language he had used on Facebook was "too harsh ... too emotional." He also said he and his family had received "thousands of phone calls and hate mail" and that he had sent his family out of the state to protect them.

Sanders noted the irony of that statement.

"His cyber-bullying has affected his family," Sanders said.

The Midland district disavowed McCance's sentiments in a statement Wednesday, and Superintendent Dean Stanley echoed that in a letter Thursday to 1998 Midland graduate R. Anthony Turner, who wrote the school board a letter calling attention to McCance's Facebook posting.

Stanley's letter to Turner said McCance "does not represent the board or speak for the board when he posts on his Facebook page."

"Every student life is equally valuable without regard to race, sex, or sexual orientation, religious belief or affiliation," Stanley wrote. "Everyone really is someone special and deserves to be treated with care and respect."